The "new" Disney Store

Peter_noPan

DVC member
I just wanted to through this out and see if I am the only one with a problem here.

At the mall by our house in suburban Detroit we have a Disney Store. It was recently shut down for rehab. The new strore is awful. The have taken the colors and fun out of the Disney Store. I feel like I am in a warehouse. The magic is gone from the store.

Who came up with the idea that making a store ugly will sell more goods?

I just wanted to vent. And find out if I am the only one who feels this way.

Sarangel

<font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<
The good news (such as it is) is that Disney decided that these 'rehabs' were too expensive to continue, so if there's a DS in your area that hasn't been 'upgraded' you should still be able to go to it. Privately, I'm not so sure that they didn't receive enough comments about how awful they were to stop this project.

Sarangel

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
You're not alone. The new stores are very plain. They've been stripped of a lot of the whimsy that they had previously. You just don't get the same feeling as before. I still favor a plan to close half of the stores, thus making the ones remaining that much more in demand. The reason the Disney Stores suffered over the years was because of over-exposure. It was not due to poor design. If they just scale back and make the ones remaining that much more scarce it would make a trip to one of the stores much more special.

Micca

SAHG: Stay At Home Grandfather
Most of the merch is unimaginative junk anyway. I'll shop WOD at DD for my 10% discount.

cindyfan

DIS Veteran
I agree that the market was saturated with stores. This, along with the amount of lisenced goods out there, is what killed their business.
Anyone can go to just about any department store and purchase Disney mercandise.
Pretty sad that they committed suicide....IMHO

When I saw the pictures of the new style I just felt sick.

BUT......there is a silver lining to this......
Now more than ever I feel the need to shop at WDW to get the real feel of Disney!!
So....... one more reason to plan another trip down there :)

I will have to make sure I have a full day to shop!! :)

DC7800

DIS Veteran
Originally posted by cindyfan
When I saw the pictures of the new style I just felt sick.

Anyone have a picture (or link) of one of these new style stores? I probably don't really want to see this, but I'm curious. At least the stores nearest here have been spared.

cindyfan

DIS Veteran
The pictures were originally spotted on the Laughing Place web site. But that was well over a year ago.
I think the remodel was "unvieled" in Oct 2000......and that was when there were lots of pictures.
Maybe someone can find something more recent?

Anyway the "new" style store has a very UN-animated look to it. Very much like a GAP, and just like anyother retail store in the mall.
Problem is they just don't have the merchandise that is special enough for the guest to overlook the new and clean style. People go to the DS to get a taste of the Disney Magic and the atmosphere was such a huge part of it. With out that......we can just go to JCPenney, WalMart or Target and get Disney merchandise at a much more reasonalble price.

Kirby

DIS Veteran
I knew that there was something missing the last time I went into out Disney store. The magic was gone but I just couldn't put my finger on it since I didn't know about the changes. Was not at all pleased about the atmosphere. Just another store now.

hoosiergirl

<font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon
I was a Disney Store cast member for 4 1/2 years until I quit in '98. The reason? The magic was gone for a lot of us CM's because profits took priority over Guest Service. A lot of us left in a short time because it was no longer "fun". (Believe me, you didn't work there for the $$!)

About 6 months ago I was in one of the local Disney stores (not the same city) and a manager found out I was a former "old school" CM. He followed me all over the store, trying to talk me into re-hiring. He said they were looking for those CM's who knew how to Guest Service, etc. Long story.....but I just thought I'd share because I have hope that maybe some day the old magic will return to the Disney Stores. Maybe the "suits" will see that people shop at the D. Stores to get some of that pixie dust that they got at the parks; it's not necessarily for the merchandise. As someone already stated, Disney merchandise is everywhere!

Just my 2 cents......

DavyCrockett

Earning My Ears
I too am disappointed with the "new" Disney Store.

Not only are the stores devoid of the old Disney magic, but the merchandise isn't very appealing.

The shelves are filled with junk. There is hardly any merchandise for people over three years old. i used to able to find gifts for practically anypne in the store. No more.

Micca

SAHG: Stay At Home Grandfather
Hoosiergirl- It is such a shame the "suits" don't understand. I deal with corporate mentality daily, but isn't there a track record for Disney rising above that? Not any time recently, but in all of Disney history???

Sandy541

Earning My Ears
Is there anyway to make the Disney people aware of the problems that the new store format is causing and giving them constructive criticism.? They need to hear from us.

married2grumpy

DIS Veteran
I couldn't imagine why the Disney Store in our mall was closed for so long. It was a beautiful store filled with lots of different types of Disney merchandise. I couldn't wait for the grand reopening to see how they could have possibly improved on it. Well, what a disappointment. All the things that reminded me of WDW were gone. That was what I loved about the store. Now it is just another store in my opinion. It has a warehouse feel to it, unfinished ceilings, cement floors. I heard the sales people saying how glad they were the carpet was gone so they didn't have to pick the gum out of it anymore. It's sad!

tap & dap

Dis Veteran & WDW CM
We also were disappointed in the new format.

Snowglobes and collectibles are now replaced
with shelf after shelf of the same old toys you see in Target and Wall Mart.

Like someone else said they use to have all kinds of clothes for adults now it seems to be kids only.

The only good thing is now instead of spending a lot of money each week, we only visit occasionally and
spend very little.

Hopefully Disney wakes up and gives us better not worse stores to spend our money in.

d-r

<font color=red>l|ll|||ll||ll||<font color=purple>
Our stores have about 1,000 buzz lightyears and woodies. That is all there is really, buzz and woodie, some plush, and some baby clothes. I can't imagine why they are spending so much shelf space on buzz and woody - at first I figured that they must not have sold as many as they predicted for Christmas and these were still around, but can't they store them somewhere? Almost 1/3 of the store is taken up by buzz and woodies dolls.

hopemax

Note to Self:
If they removed the Buzz and Woodys they wouldn't have any merchandise to replace them with. I don't know which is better 1/3 of the store empty or 1/3 full with Buzz & Woody? It's part of the Disney Store's wonderful distribution system! Along with how over Christmas they don't receive merchandise A, B, C and they get hourly questions on why they don't have it and so the customer leaves empty handed and then when the 75% off sale hits they get cases and cases and cases of the stuff.

But at least the stores can order lightbulbs again! No really, they were limited to once a month orders on lightbulbs and like a maximum of 4 bulbs per month and they would need more than that to keep up. So you may go into your local Disney store this month and think something has changed...it may be the store is brighter than it used to be.

My Mom's an Asst. Manager, so I get to hear all sorts of fun stories from inside the Disney Store.

Chuck S

DVC Co-Moderator
Super Moderator
We have two stores in San Antonio, one re-hab one "old style". The new design is awful and the merchandise is even worse. The reqister is in the rear of the store where the beautiful plush displays used to be. There are TV monitors everywhere blaring noise. We need ADULT stuff, not cutesy junk you can get at Wal-mart. Of course, the new design store is in the "real" mall and the original design is in the "tourist-y" mall along the riverwalk :rolleyes:

There absolutely nothing "Disney" about the new design...it is a generic sterile "high tech" look...blah. ALthough, I can't complain about the custmer service, the CMs seem as nice as ever. I don't think they're too thrilled with the rehab either.

King Triton

DIS Veteran
I agree with Peter. I just went to the new updated Disney store and I was so disappointed. Too many shelves, too many lights, no imagination...I wanted to run out of there.:mad: Thank God we have another old store nearby. I'll only shop there for now on. What were the Disney suits thinking when they came up with this terrible idea?:rolleyes: When they said they were updating it I thought they would make it better. WRONG. I only say this because I love Disney. The old stores have the Disney magic. The new stores lack the magic. The old stores were more relaxing to shop in and a lot more fun.

I hope Disney gets the message.

King Triton

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

hellokitty

dis veteran/disney addict
thank goodness they didnt make to The Dallas area in Texas!!! (the updating that is)