The NBA Bubble

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArielDreams

Mouseketeer
I would love to hear the podcast team talk about their thoughts on this. Especially now that players are calling Gran Destino a “Motel 6” and complaining about the food. I have sooo many feelings on this. Or even their thoughts in general about Disney’s decision to do this (I mean, obviously they did it for the money...)

We have a thread on rumors and news all about the bubble and providing all updates.

As for the team, none of them are NBA fans so I don’t think they are invested in it and likely aren’t following it as their job currently is the opening of the parks.

I said it on that thread and I’ll say it here.

The DIS Boards has literally thousands of threads of people complaining about the rooms and food at Disney.

Pete reviewed the Grand Floridian, had a complete meltdown, and ripped it apart. Watch Pete’s dining reviews of the Contempo Cafe or the Turf Club. Why is it okay for him to complain and not an NBA player?

I said it on that thread and I’ll say it here.

The DIS Boards has literally thousands of threads of people complaining about the rooms and food at Disney.

Pete reviewed the Grand Floridian, had a complete meltdown, and ripped it apart. Watch Pete’s dining reviews of the Contempo Cafe or the Turf Club. Why is it okay for him to complain and not an NBA player?

I should say I am an NBA fan and I don't have a problem with the substance of some of the complaints.

However, I do think there is a difference between a paying customer who is complaining about an experience at Disney and an NBA player whose league and employer has set up a Billion Dollar Bubble, is paying for their room and board, paying for their food and paying them handsomely to play basketball, complaining because they think their room looks like a Motel 6. All of this while in the midst of a pandemic which has taken so much from so many people.

All that being said, their are plenty of players who are on social media and seem to be presenting a much more positive story. There's even some big Disney Fans, like Robin Lopez of the Bucks who is a very entertaining social media follow. Its just that the complaining players, like JR Smith and Rajon Rando are getting more of the attention. And if you are an NBA fan you know the deal with JR Smith and Rajon Rando.

I would love to hear the podcast team talk about their thoughts on this. Especially now that players are calling Gran Destino a “Motel 6” and complaining about the food. I have sooo many feelings on this. Or even their thoughts in general about Disney’s decision to do this (I mean, obviously they did it for the money...)

I personally don't know anyone who gives a rats rear end about the NBA. Can't understand why Disney has made such a commitment. I know they have their highly devoted fan base, but nationwide, its relatively very small.

Yah, given the price at many restaurants in Dinsey, I'd say criticisms are highly justified for what you get.

I personally don't know anyone who gives a rats rear end about the NBA. Can't understand why Disney has made such a commitment. I know they have their highly devoted fan base, but nationwide, its relatively very small.
They have the facilities and can't allow guests to fill them? Seems like a win for Disney to allow them to come in and pay for space that would have sat empty.

ESPN (a Disney owned company) has a 9 year 24 billion contract with the nba. It’s the second most expensive media rights contract in sports. This is a big reason whey they are doing this beyond whatever they are making off the use of their facilities.

ESPN (a Disney owned company) has a 9 year 24 billion contract with the nba. It’s the second most expensive media rights contract in sports. This is a big reason whey they are doing this beyond whatever they are making off the use of their facilities.

Like said, I don't know why Disney has made such a commitment for a marginal sport. Normally the remote control stays less than 10 seconds on any channel with an NBA game on it. Now that the NBA is shoving BLM down our throats, it's, going to be less than one.

Last edited:

On top of that, the NBA spent at least $150 million dollars on creating the bubble in DisneyWorld. Not all of that went to Disney, but at a time when Disney had little to no park business its very welcome income.

Like said, I don't know why Disney has made such a commitment for a marginal sport. Normally the remote control stays less than 10 seconds on any channel with an NBA game on it. Now that the NBA is shoving BLM down our throats, it's, going to be less than one.

Marginal sport? I suggest you educate yourself a bit beyond the borders of whatever little town you call home , the NBA may be the second most popular sport in the entire country , or the world for that matter

The Disney Bubble has created way more exciting games unbelievably.
They are playing much more intensely as they rush the hoop cause no cameramen underneath in the way plus no fans on sideline to worry about having to jump over! And the new camera angle court side following length of court incredible!

I think Disney Fans should rejoice and give Disney credit for accomplishing “ safe” future hope . It’s called Respect

Last edited:
I am not a basketball fan. Not even a tiny bit.

I think it's FANTASTIC that Disney is doing this. It is pouring tons of money into the company at a time when they are struggling more than ever before in their history. It is filling a couple of hotels, getting the Wide World of Sports complex running, and keeping likely hundreds of cast members employed. It's also obviously perfect synergy since they also own ESPN so it's feeding that and keeping those people employed as well.

I really don't see how anyone can find fault with this arrangement unless they got closed out of the hotel they wanted to stay at because it's now being used exclusively by the NBA.

There is an argument to be made, I suppose, about whether or not there should be sports at this time in the midst of a pandemic, but I think the NBA and Disney are doing it as safely as they can. It does bother me that these people are getting COVID tests regularly so they can play a game and I have to jump through hoops to get patients tested, but other than that, I've got no issue at all with what they're doing.

I am not a basketball fan. Not even a tiny bit.

I think it's FANTASTIC that Disney is doing this. It is pouring tons of money into the company at a time when they are struggling more than ever before in their history. It is filling a couple of hotels, getting the Wide World of Sports complex running, and keeping likely hundreds of cast members employed. It's also obviously perfect synergy since they also own ESPN so it's feeding that and keeping those people employed as well.

I really don't see how anyone can find fault with this arrangement unless they got closed out of the hotel they wanted to stay at because it's now being used exclusively by the NBA.

There is an argument to be made, I suppose, about whether or not there should be sports at this time in the midst of a pandemic, but I think the NBA and Disney are doing it as safely as they can. It does bother me that these people are getting COVID tests regularly so they can play a game and I have to jump through hoops to get patients tested, but other than that, I've got no issue at all with what they're doing.

And where's the tons of money coming from. There not selling tickets, and the television revenue is coming from it's own affiliate ABC and ESPN. Yes they're selling advertising, but I don't think I'd characterize it as TONS of money.

Marginal sport? I suggest you educate yourself a bit beyond the borders of whatever little town you call home , the NBA may be the second most popular sport in the entire country , or the world for that matter

Sorry but Basketball plays third fiddle to Football and Baseball in the US.

Sorry but Basketball plays third fiddle to Football and Baseball in the US.
Even if it is the third most popular, that hardly makes it “marginal”.

Do you know what ESPN was showing during the peak of the quarantine? CORNHOLE. They were actually televising hours and hours of guys tossing bean bags. I’m pretty sure basketball brings in hundreds of millions more than that.

If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. I certainly don’t. But I don’t go around criticizing those who do.

And where's the tons of money coming from. There not selling tickets, and the television revenue is coming from it's own affiliate ABC and ESPN. Yes they're selling advertising, but I don't think I'd characterize it as TONS of money.
ESPN is a cable channel which means that in order to carry espn on Comcast, directv, etc those providers pay espn. ESPN is one of the most expensive cable companies to carry and make between 7-9 billion dollars a year off of the fees they charge to carry their network. So you’re right it’s not just advertising. It’s billions and billions of dollars in fees they collect which is a ton of money.

ESPN is a cable channel which means that in order to carry espn on Comcast, directv, etc those providers pay espn. ESPN is one of the most expensive cable companies to carry and make between 7-9 billion dollars a year off of the fees they charge to carry their network. So you’re right it’s not just advertising. It’s billions and billions of dollars in fees they collect which is a ton of money.

Those rates are negotiable and depend a lot on ratings and since Corn Hole has been on tap lately, those ratings have been in the gutter, along with advertising rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter