The Mckee Clan's "Words can't describe how wonderful it was" Disney World vacation Part 4-

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by McKeeFamily3, Jan 8, 2001.

  1. McKeeFamily3

    McKeeFamily3 Knee deep in snow

    Apr 23, 2000
    Part 4 Animal Kingdom and EPCOT
    If you want to read the details about us, read one of the first installments please. I can't copy and past here and I got tired of typing it all :D

    December 16th

    We woke up bright and early with plans to go to Animal Kingdom this morning. First we had to get through a major set back..George went to get in the shower but he couldn't find our toiletry bag anywear. I went down to the car and couldn't find it anywear there either. Turns out we left it at the hotel in Jacksonville :mad: This wouldn't have been such a big deal except for the fact that it had all of DH's medicine in it. He had a vey serious eye injury at work back in November and really needed this medication. So, while he got the kids ready and made due with the hotel shampoo and soap I headed to the down to the hotel front desk. They were very helpful. They gave me the phone number to a pharmacy that delivers to the resorts. What a Godsend! I called the pharmacy, gave them the doctors phone number and they took care of everything. The medication was delivered that afternoon! After calling the pharmacy I went over to the PO general store. I can't remember the name of it. I picked up some toothpast and toothbrushes, shaving cream, razors etc. I was happy they had these items so we didn't have to venture out of Disney World to get them. It was very convenient but very pricy. For these few travel sized items my bill was more than $20!! :eek: I'm just happy that there was nothing that couldn't be replaced in the missing bag!
    After I got back to the room and everyone was finished getting ready we went down to the food court for breakfast. Everything was good and not to expensive. I was glad to see that they had fresh fruit. I'm not much of a breakfast person and usually have a bannana or an orange to eat. They had exactly what I wanted. After eating the kids noticed that there was a pin booth set up by our table. They went over to check it out and came back begging for money to buy a pin. I learned about the pin trading going on and bought them each one before the trip. They had traded that pin and the ones they got in return about 5 times the day before. They really got a kick out of it. So I let them each get one more before we left for AK. Pins in hand we headed for the car. After our experience with the busses the night before we decided to use our own car from now on.
    We pulled out of PO wondering how if it was going to be hard finding our way around. It was not! They have signs everywere and it's impossible to get lost! 10 minuets later we were pulling into the AK parking lot! Everyone was excited about going to AK. DH and my kids love animals. We go to the local zoo about 6 time each summer. We had to stop by each and every animal exibit on the way into the park. We made our way to the Saffari. The wait was 20 min. so we got Fast Passes and went to explore the park some more. Amber got her hair wrapped. She was dying to do this! For those of you who want to do this...they charge by the inch of hair wrapped. I don't remember exactly how much per inch it was but her's cost $20. She has a little bit longer than shoulder lengh hair. While we were waiting for her to get her hair wrapped we saw Terk and went over for autographs. We just got the Tarzan movie and it is one of our kids favorites. Angus went nuts! He was so excited to see Terk! We headed back over to the Saffari for our Fast Pass return time. All I can say is WOW! This was a great experince! All the animals were out and it was so neat to see them all, especialy the lions! I thought the whole poacher story line was great too. Andrew really thought it was happening. He kept looking up in the sky for the airplane! Even scardy cat Hannah enjoyed this ride! After the Saffari we went and saw the Lion King show. We walked right in. No waiting at all! This was a great show. Next we had lunch at Pizzafari. The pizza is ok. I had the Hot Italian sandwich and it was very tasy. After lunch we headed back to PO. Angus took a nap and Amber took Hannah and Angus down to the pool. They loved the pool! This was the second of 3 days that it was warm enough to go swimming. While Angus napped, George and I sat outside the room and watched the boats come and go and just relaxed. Afternoon breaks really made a difference for everyone! Nobody got too cranky and I really think it made a big difference in how the trip went. I could not imagine going all day with tired kids in the parks.
    After nap time we went to EPCOT. First we did the Living Seas. This was so neat! While we were there they were doing a demonstration with the dolphins. We were kind of far in the back of the crowd so we didn't get to see too much of it. Hannah was really upset about this. She loves dolphins. Next we went and saw Honey I Shrunk the Audience. Again, a great show! It definitly had some scary parts though! I even hid my eyes a couple of times. Surprisingly Hannah handled it pretty well. She was finally starting to get over some of her fears! After this we walked around a bit and came across a fountain that jumps through the air. The kids were amazed by this. They went to each place that it jumped and stood there waiting for it. They tried to jump up in the air so the water would hit them! They had a blast! This was another one of those things that I thought really made the whole Disney experience above and beyond any ohter. There are all of these great things everywere! Half the fun was seeing things like this. It's not just about the rides folks. It's all about the magic! Next we hit the Land. We did Living with the land and then The circle of life movie. I'm don't remember exactly what it was called. The one with Timone and Pumba in it. Then we had to go to The Garden Grill for our PS's. Another disaster. If we had let it be, anyway! We got there about 15 minuets early and were given one of those light coaster thingys. They told us that they were running behind and it would be about a 30 minuet wait. Ok, no big deal, we'd look around a bit while we waited. Well 30 minuets came and went, the kids were hungry and getting cranky. I went up to the desk to see what was going on. They told me they'd been blinking our coaster thing for quite a while. I showed it to them and it wasn't blinking. Well, out coaster # was 98 and they had been blinking coaser #....86! :mad: Ok, honest mistake. We weren't going to get all upset about it. This was a major step for DH. He gets very upset when anything like this happens. He took it all very well. First the toiletry bag this morning and now this! I thought his head was going to explode, but no! Disney World has an amazing affect on people. I wish I could have bottled up what ever it is and brought it home with me. I'd dose DH with it regularly! :D Anyway, We finally got seated and had a wonderful meal. The food is excelent! We got to meet Mickey, Pluto and Dale (again). For dessert the kids got gingerbread boy cookies with frosting and candies to decorate it! This was a big hit!
    After dinner we went over to the World Showcase. We saw O'Canada. What a great movie! I have never seen a 360º movie before and was very impressed! The kids were in awe! By this time the kids were getting pretty tired and were starting to complain about walking. We took the opportunity to get a spot for Illuminations. We headed towards the bridge by the International Gateway. I was shocked and amazed that we actually got a spot there. We had noticed people staking out there spots when we first entered the WS and I expected the bridge to be full. It wasn't the best spot on the bridge but it would do. They had the front, right by the water, blocked off for a special event so no one could get down there. While the kids rested I went over to France to get a snack for everyone. I got some very yummy soft serve icecream. After we were done we just sat and people watched. About 10 minuets before Illuminations started a CM came and took down the ropes that blocked off the lower portion of the bridge and we ran like heck to get there. It wasn't right in the middle because that was still blocked off but the sides were open and it ended up being a great view! When we were on the top of the bridge we had a tree blocking part of the view. Down below it was perfect! Illuminations was awesome! I had been listening to the Millenium CD for months before but hearing the music right there with the show was just increadable. I can't describe the emotion it set off in me.
    After the show we headed out of the park with the masses. It wasn't really to bad getting out. Everyone kept moving and it went quickly. I can only imagine what it must be like during peak season! We took the tram to the car. I have to mention this because Angus just loved all of the tram rides. I think it was his favorite part about the whole trip! Everytime the guy in the back would say "All clear driver" Angus would say "beep beep"! For those of you who ride the trams you know that when the all clear signal is given the driver honks the horn twice before he pulls away. By the end of the trip we were all "beep beeping"!
    Another end to another Wonderful day at Disney World! We headed back to PO for a good nights sleep!

    Tommorow Part 5 Maic Kingdom and Old Key West!

    <font color=red>FIRST TIME TO WDW!Port Orleans December 15-16!! OKW DECEMBER 17-22!!</font>

    [This message was edited by McKeeFamily3 on 01-08-01 at 11:04 PM.]
  2. JerseyJanice

    JerseyJanice A Disboards original...

    Aug 20, 1999
    Hey, McKee!

    I'm reading your installments and enjoying them so much. Keep 'em coming!

    It is so funny that your little guy liked the trams best. That's the greatest things about small kids--the smallest and strangest things that you never thought would, completely amuse them.
  3. Avatar


    to hide this advert.
  4. TonyB

    TonyB Mouseketeer

    Aug 24, 1999
    It's not only the little tykes that are amused by such things. I'm 33 and still get a kick out of the parking lot tram rides! My goal when I retire is for my wife & I to be a Tram Team.. me driving & her riding on back. I think sometimes she gets annoyed when we're in the car and I practice the whole spiel they give and follow it up by honking our car's horn. A good tram announcer can set the tone for the whole day with their attitude & comments.

    Beep Beep,

    DL - 1972
    WDW - 5/79 (Off-site at the Quality Inn Hi-Q)
    WDW - 3/89 (Hi-Q again)
    WDW - 5/98 (Ho-Jo's Maingate East)
    WDW - 5/99 (All Star Sports)
    DL - 10/99
    WDW - 2/00 (Ft Wilderness)
    WDW - 9/00 (Port Orleans)
    WDW - 4/01 (Honeymoon @ Polynesian)
  5. CherylA

    CherylA DIS Veteran

    Aug 18, 1999
    Aghh yes, our high aspirations for retirement :)
  6. McKeeFamily3

    McKeeFamily3 Knee deep in snow

    Apr 23, 2000
    I agree Tony! We had a couple of very entertaining tram rides due to the tram team. They had us rolling on the floor a couple of times!

    <font color=red>FIRST TIME TO WDW!Port Orleans December 15-16!! OKW DECEMBER 17-22!!</font>
  7. Pixieduster

    Pixieduster Mouseketeer

    Dec 29, 2000
    I'm really enjoying your reports. I'm looking forward to your next installment. :)
  8. teachbrooks

    teachbrooks Earning My Ears

    Nov 7, 1999
    Have I missed the rest of your reports?
    Hope not. I'm looking forward to it.

  9. Marla Hellwig

    Marla Hellwig I'm not lost, it's called creative exploring

    Mar 25, 2000
    A fun filled Disney day for all. Thanks for posting!

Share This Page