The Makeup Clique Thread - Wanna talk makeup? Wanna share tips? Wanna ask ?'s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, if you return to a MAC counter, you can only get a lipstick. However, if you return them to a MAC store, you can pick a lipstick, lipgloss, or eyeshadow. It excludes Viva Glam products, though, since all monies from those products go to AIDS Research.:thumbsup2
Someone mentioned that awhile back and I called our MAC store and they said just lipstick. Does it vary?

It doesn't bother me, I love MAC lipstick so that's what I want, but I was curious.

I actually have my containers ready I just keep forgetting to bring them when I go to the mall. I'll ask again in person.

whogirl'smom, I posted this reply earlier for another DISer!! Revitalume amazing. She was looking for something for dark circles and I was looking for something for puffy eyes!! Well this does BOTH!!! Read through the link!! I love it. I have been using it since October. I am VERY happy with the results. FINALLY. I also was using the Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Anti-Puff eye roller....naaa not happy with that at all.
Thanks! I'll go back and look at it again. I clicked on it last night when you first posted, but the home page touted relieving dark circles which I don't have, so I didn't read any more.

I really really really like Everyday Minerals in Matte and Intense. I mix one of those with the semi-matte, and it's wonderful. Have you tried Mineral makeup?

The other thing I REALLY like about Mineral makeup - is when you take pictures, the flash doesnt reflect off your face - and make you look like a ghost. Anyone else notice that?

I tried Avon's mineral makeup and didn't like the look at all. How can a mineral look heavier than a liquid??? I knew it wasn't supposed to look like that so I just haven't tried another brand. I threw out three liquid foundtions that I've accumulated over the past months looking for the magic potion!

TO depuff eyes use Patricia Wexler available at Bath and Body and on line also at Sephora I think. If you go to B and B ask them for a sample or just buy it try it and if you do not like it bring it back they will take it back no questions asked.

That I can find! I will go to B and B this weekend and see if they have any samples. Thank you!

For those of you using MAC or who plan to, do you know about Back to MAC? If you return (recycle) 6 empty primary packaging containers (like lipstick tubes, compacts, etc...not the boxes) you'll get a free lipstick.
http://www.maccosmetics.com/giving_back/btm_return_packaging.tmpl

Yes - I have 2 'sets of them' enough to get 2 items. I just always forget it when I go to the mall.

Wait...what...emotional advice on an eyelash thread?? :confused:

Anyway..wanted to post this; if you have dry skin as I do out here in SoCal...I put this on every night after I shower on my legs and arms!!! Absolutely so nice and not the least bit oily or messy.

Body Moisturizer!!! :goodvibes

BodyOil85oz2006_185x225.jpg

Neutrogena Body Oil
Lightweight
Absorbs quickly
Available in Original and Fragrance-free

I keep meaning to pick up that stuff. I love that body oil.

And yes - emotional advice on a mascara thread, cuz you know the only reason we wear any sort of makeup is to hide our emotional flaws. The ones, deep, deep down in us.

Lipgloss fills a need. Like alcoholics self medicate, so do we....with eye shadow primer. It's sad. :guilty:

:laughing:

Someone mentioned that awhile back and I called our MAC store and they said just lipstick. Does it vary?

It doesn't bother me, I love MAC lipstick so that's what I want, but I was curious.

I actually have my containers ready I just keep forgetting to bring them when I go to the mall. I'll ask again in person

Copy Catter. ;)

And yes - emotional advice on a mascara thread, cuz you know the only reason we wear any sort of makeup is to hide our emotional flaws. The ones, deep, deep down in us.

Lipgloss fills a need. Like alcoholics self medicate, so do we....with eye shadow primer. It's sad. :guilty:

:laughing:

Oh BOTHER.........:eeyore:

I will try the Too Faced b/c the Urban Decay did not even last 30 days. Thanks CR.

That's the problem I had with Urban Decay also. You figure at $16 a tube for a month, that 50 cents a day for eyeshadow primer!

Unfortunately, no Sephora even remotely close to me, although there is an Ulta about 30 minutes away, I just never get there.

Oh oh, I have a question-I was just thinking about this this morning.
I use a Clinique hydrating foundation that I really like because it is the only one I have found that is good for my dry skin-but I am always looking for more and better. ;)
Are there any other great hydrating foundations out there?

Also, in the summer I tend not to wear any foundation at all becaus I get some color(not a lot most of the time, I do use my SPF moisturizer) and my foundation doesn't match anymore..but my color fluctuates so just buying one more foundation wouldn't really work-what do you all do when you are a bit more golden in the summertime? I would like to even out my skin tone..

Lipgloss..I have braces now(I am 37) and was supposed to get them off July 2008, yet here I sit with them still on-so I don;t wear anything that attracts undue attention to my mouth-the only lipgloss I've worn for the last 2 years has been Neutrogena's Dreamy, because it's not bright-and I do like it, but I am so ready for something new! Hopefully by this summer..

I actually have my containers ready I just keep forgetting to bring them when I go to the mall. I'll ask again in person.

It should still be eyeshadow, gloss, or lipstick. From what I've read here:
http://www.specktra.net/forum/f190/mac-faq-back2mac-b2m-25420/
it seems like other people have been experiencing the same difficulty with getting other MAC MA's to give them anything other than a lipstick.

When I worked for MAC, I worked at a counter at Macy's, and not a store, so we could only do lipsticks anyway. That's why I'm not as familiar with how the MAC stores operate. However, I do remember being told a couple years ago during Update, when the new policy was first announced, that in order to take advantage of the new policy at a MAC store, you had to register with the store and be in "the system" (name, address, etc, etc). If you didn't take the time to do all of that at the MAC store, then you could only trade your empties for a lipstick.

Again, since I worked at a counter and not a store, the policy didn't really affect me. And even now since I no longer work for the company, I have tons of empties that I could take in, I just haven't gotten around to it.

So, that is how the policy is SUPPOSED to work. But from reading the above thread, it doesn't always seem to work that way. :flower3:

Hi all! Mascara Queen joining in to say I tried the mascara Cat recommended - Too Faced Lash Injection and she wasn't lying. This stuff is amazing! Really. It took me a while to get the hang of it because the consistency is very different from what I am used to, so my right eye is a little clumpy. However, the left went on much easier and my lashes now look fabulous!! :cool1: I thought Fatale was the be-all and end-all of mascaras but I think I like this stuff better! And it is soooo much easier to apply.

I am going right NOW to get some of this!!!!! Yay end of work day!

Can you believe I JUST found this thread??? And I knew it was coming!! Twenty four hours and it is already over 10 pages?!!! I told you that we needed our own little section of the DIS.

I wish I could read this whole thread but I am headed out to the mall as soon as dd12 gets home from school. I am new to the whole make-up buying thing. I mean, I've always worn make-up but I've taken a more "interest" (or maybe obsession) in it in the last year or so. It all started with an interest in taking care of my nails. After umpteen million trips to get yet another bottle of OPI (I have 20 bottles now), I've moved on to hair and makeup.

Things I like.

Nails:
Base coat: CND's Stickey start. It creates a stickey base for your color to adhere too.
Color: OPI: not because the color is so much better than any other. Just because I like how all the bottles match. I even bought the OPI train case to keep them all safe. Sick, I know.
Top coat: Seche Vite. I just got a free OPI top coat (with the purchase of two bottles of color) and it's not near as good as Seche. I'm going right back to Seche when this is out.

30 minutes spent on my nails and it will last for a week.

Make up:
Lips: Buxom Lips by Bare Escentuals. LOVE it :lovestruc I have Candi right now, and I want more. I just love the way it feels on my lips. I remember CathrynRose saying she didn't like it. But I guess its a personal thing. I put on an hour ago and it's still tingles. :goodvibes

Cheeks: NARS blush. I have the one that starts with "O" :blush: I don't know if I can put the name on here without points. I'm new to this item. I would like to get another color for variety. Any suggestions??? I'm headed to Sephora sooon. I also have a highlighter, Softlights by Smashbox in shimmer. Gives me a glowey "lit from within" look without settling in my wrinkles.

Mascara: Jury is still out on this one. Right now I am trying Maybelline's Full N Soft and the L'Oreal double extend. I had Too Faced Lash Injection. I liked it but I'm looking for something cheaper since I have to throw it out after three months. The most important thing is that it cannot smudge my undereye area.

Perfume: Chanel #5 Every time I'm at the mall, I spritz it on.

Hair: I like Redken's Blond Glam and Matrix Amplify XL. I just found Nexxus Color Ensure shampoo with a free tiny bottle of Color Assure conditioner at Rite Aid marked down to four bucks :woohoo:. Just got my hair colored so I am using that right now.

I have to go. I will come back and read the rest of this thread. I'm so glad I found you guys today! If I pick anything up tonight, I will let you know.

Mascara: Jury is still out on this one. Right now I am trying Maybelline's Full N Soft and the L'Oreal double extend. I had Too Faced Lash Injection. I liked it but I'm looking for something cheaper since I have to throw it out after three months. The most important thing is that it cannot smudge my undereye area.

Ditto.

I can't find a mascara that I "love" to save my life. I just want one that doesn't cost a fortune and actually does what it says. For some reason my lashes are much thinner and shorter on my right eye than my left and I want something that is actually going to make them look fuller and longer.

Cheeks: NARS blush. I have the one that starts with "O" :blush: I don't know if I can put the name on here without points. I'm new to this item. I would like to get another color for variety. Any suggestions??? I'm headed to Sephora sooon. I also have a highlighter, Softlights by Smashbox in shimmer. Gives me a glowey "lit from within" look without settling in my wrinkles.

Try NARS Outlaw. It looks too dark in the package - but it's not AND it lasts forever and ever - cuz it's such a nice deep shade. Very flushed look. I love it.

In the summer - I like Deep Throat - but it's honestly just a darker shade of Organism... you know what I'm saying. :rolleyes1 ;)

OUTLAW:

(you know I looked for a picture, and none of them do it justice. Try it on, in person, at the store...it's a keeper.... the sales lady talked me into it, and Im so glad she did. )

Ditto.

I can't find a mascara that I "love" to save my life. I just want one that doesn't cost a fortune and actually does what it says. For some reason my lashes are much thinner and shorter on my right eye than my left and I want something that is actually going to make them look fuller and longer.

Will you just go buy Lash Injection and be done with it already?!?!? **shake fist** ;)

You know how a primer primes the wall when you paint, well that is what shadow primer does. It evens the pallet so to speak. I like Urban Decay it is only 16.00 but even though that seems reasonable there is really very little product in the container. It is very deceptive.

When your Urban Decay Primer runs out, you should cut it open. As in, cut it vertically down the middle. I have yet to do this myself, but heard of people doing it and getting two little pots full of product out of it. It's because the bottle is shaped weird, so the applicator can't get everything. They were able to fish out like half the product. There's some youtube videos with instructions.

Can anyone recommend a great red lipstick? I'm pretty pale and can't find a great shade. Thanks!

Try NARS Outlaw. It looks too dark in the package - but it's not AND it lasts forever and ever - cuz it's such a nice deep shade. Very flushed look. I love it.

In the summer - I like Deep Throat - but it's honestly just a darker shade of Organism... you know what I'm saying. :rolleyes1 ;)

OUTLAW:

(you know I looked for a picture, and none of them do it justice. Try it on, in person, at the store...it's a keeper.... the sales lady talked me into it, and Im so glad she did. )

Will you just go buy Lash Injection and be done with it already?!?!? **shake fist** ;)

Where do i get it? I must have missed that somehow LOL! Now mail me my Lip Venom!

The Pond's moist wipes are also good makeup removers, I keep them in my case when I'm in a show. Not like washing, but it takes off makeup well.

I also got some stuff from Ulta (can't remember what brand off-hand, I think it was Borjois) that is an eye-makeup remover in a tiny tube with a sponge, so you can fix mistakes without taking everything off. Nice when you're in a hurry.

I think the best makeup wipes hands down are No17 at Target. It takes everything off and doesn't leave you dry.

Can anyone recommend a great red lipstick? I'm pretty pale and can't find a great shade. Thanks!

I wish I could wear darker colors without feeling like people are looking at me like I am some sort of lunatic or a (rhymes with smore) I like dark colors but when I wear them i just feel so I don't know....obvious for lack of a better word....

Where do i get it? I must have missed that somehow LOL! Now mail me my Lip Venom!

So demanding. pirate:

Ummm - Ulta has it, Sephora has it, too. Sephora you can return it, if you dont like it. I dont know if you can do that at Ulta. Anyone know? :confused3

Just some useful make up info!

I watched "The View" today and Barbara Walter's make up artist showed her top picks for make up under $10:

Foundation: Max Factor– $7.75 - This was a neat roll on, good for purse.

Eye Shadow: Ultimate Expression Wet N Wild Color Palate– $4.99

Eye Liner (Liquid): L'OREAL– $7.35

Mascara: Last Blast– $8.95 - I have this! :)

Eyelash: Andrea Modlash– $3.29

Blush: Revlon Powder Blush– $9.79

Highlighter: Black Radiance– $4.19 - this was very nice

Volumizer/Plumper: Physicians Formula Plumper and Lipstick Plumper– $9.95

Marker: Cover Girl Outlast Lip Stain– $7.29 - this looked really cool!

Nail Polish: Nic's Sticks– $6.99 - tempted to try this

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter