The MAGIC, the MEMORIES, the storms, and HEY! Where's Perry? Aug 2011 TR (upd: Oct21)

It's Sunday morning, the 28th of August and we let the kids sleep in a bit since they were up so late last night. We had nowhere to be, no EMH to get to. A leisurely day. Kids had their breakfast in the room and DH went to grab me a chocolate croissant and his breakfast sandwich. When we were ready we strolled to Magic Kingdom and headed straight up Main Street and through the castle to Fantasyland.

Stopping to take a Photopass photo (my CD arrived!)
Photo0077FiveBySeven.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

Hadn't been here yet. Had to ride Dumbo and there was only a 5 minute wait. It was 9:30ish. Got a nice view of the Fantasyland expansion construction. It's coming along, so much more to see than when we rode last year and it was just holes of dirt and a white tent. Beast's castle is there and the mountains surrounding it which will house the restaurant I think are coming along.

Look, he's smiling! It's early yet.
IMG_1437.jpg

construction update...
IMG_1440.jpg

After Dumbo we caught Mickey's Philharmagic, something we'd never seen. LOVED it!!!! :goodvibes That was an awesome show, can't believe we skipped it last year, but had no idea what it was. Then we tortured the children by forcing them, okay I tortured everyone, by forcing them onto It's a Small World. It was closed last year for refurbs and you have to ride it once, just once and creepy dolls and annoying music will be in your head forever! :rotfl:

Lines for Snow White and Peter Pan were already pushing 15-20 minutes by now. A little long for our liking for those rides. We were close to the passageway to Liberty Square so we headed that way and opted for another go round with the Grim Grinning Ghosts.

IMG_1487.jpg

Then headed to Sleepy Hollow for an ice cream break to avert any possible pouty whiny meltdown which was slowly starting to rise to the surface in Matthew.

IMG_1457.jpg

where we met a rabid squirrel
IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

Then it was off to...wait for it....

Frontierland. Where else. Another go round on the mountains in the Wild West.

IMG_1467.jpg

It's worth it to see this face...
IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

Then it was lunch time. We headed to Columbia Harbour House.

I had the Tuna Sandwich which I love.
IMG_1479.jpg

Eric had something other than pizza, Mac N Cheese the other carb option.
IMG_1481.jpg

Matthew had the chicken nuggets and DH had the Shrimp Platter.

After lunch we wandered a bit, but Matthew was ready to go so we headed back towards the castle and caught the Celebrate Parade, I love this music! We caught this constantly last year but only twice this year.

IMG_1494.jpg

smiling at the parade
IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

picking up streamers
IMG_1505.jpg

While there, we decided to make a pit stop in Tomorrowland, DH and Matthew went to Space Mountain rode and got FP incase we came back tonight and Eric and I rode Buzz and got FP's for later too. Fantasmic was planned, but we weren't sold on it yet.

Then we headed out making another pit stop in the Emporium, was cooler walking through there anyways for a few things. It was off to the pool after that, we chose to hop on the monorail this time instead of walking back. On the monorail I thought to stay on and head to the TTC to see about my lost waist pouch, so the boys got off at the hotel and went to get ready for the pool and I went to the TTC. Found the Lost & Found place and THEY HAD IT!!! Got my pouch and my rx sunglasses and my Epcot Passports back. Hopped back on the Resort Monorail and headed back for a speedy trip around the loop back to the hotel. They were not even out of the room yet (they had stopped in the stores for a few things) when I was heading back so they waited for me to head to the pool.

Up next...
Pool time, more storms, Fantasmic...

The Photopass CD came!!!:goodvibes

Photo0071FiveBySeven.jpg

Photo0075FiveBySeven.jpg

Photo0057FiveBySeven.jpg

Photo0052EightByTen.jpg

Photo0048FiveBySeven.jpg

Photo0026FiveBySeven.jpg

Photo0019FiveBySeven.jpg

Photo0011EightByTen.jpg

They put some bonus photos on the CD, over 20 of them. Here is one.

Photo0065FourBySix.jpg

I can't wait for the Fantasyland expansion to be complete! Mostly because it means another trip to WDW, lol! I also rode Dumbo during my trip, just so I could check out the progress going on. We didn't have a 5 minute wait, though!

Glad you got your pack! Bummer that it was a bit of a hassle to get back.

Great PhotoPass pictures! I can't wait to get my CD... it looks like we have some great pics, too!

It really is amazing what you can get accomplished at the parks before noon. When you were planning your days - did you know that you'd need to leave to go to the pool about that time?

My girls are open to close types...and the types that you are urging them to go on and leave and they are still not ready yet! When we go in November, I had contemplated staying at AKL - but eventually decided that it wasn't worth it because they wouldn't want to hang out at the resort at all! (Of course that made me plan an extra trip just so I could go :thumbsup2)

Ok, I know he isn't, but it kinda looks like Ferb is giving you the finger here. :lmao:
Guess that's a disadvantage of four-fingered characters!

He's giving the number 1 sign, but it does kinda look like that. :lmao:

It really is amazing what you can get accomplished at the parks before noon. When you were planning your days - did you know that you'd need to leave to go to the pool about that time?

My girls are open to close types...and the types that you are urging them to go on and leave and they are still not ready yet! When we go in November, I had contemplated staying at AKL - but eventually decided that it wasn't worth it because they wouldn't want to hang out at the resort at all! (Of course that made me plan an extra trip just so I could go :thumbsup2)

Oh I knew. Last year was the same, I think they actually lasted, well Matthew is the issue, he lasted longer last year not really knowing what to expect being the first time. This year, knowing what he liked and wanted to do, he knew when he was done. Of course, we still missed some things I know he'd like, but he doesn't know any better. Eric could probably go most of the day if not open to close. He's much more easy going and gets by on less sleep and rest. I planned to go to the pool every afternoon anyways and it was a reason for staying at the CR too, knowing we'd mostly be at MK and Epcot being able to go back and forth easily and quickly was critical. That's a big factor in being afraid of AKL...not yet. Kids would love it, but it would not be as easy to go back and forth.

Great updates and great photopass pictures! Looks and sounds like you had a great morning in the MK..I especially love the pictures you were able to take of everyone on the rides...they look like they are having a blast!:goodvibes

We headed back to the hotel and along the way pretty much decided we were not going to attempt Fantasmic that night, or any night for that matter. Matthew could barely handle staying at MK for fireworks as it was.

We made our way to the pool as ominous looking clouds were making their way towards us.

100_0227.jpg

Just missed seeing Eric going off the slide here, but it was more about the sky.
100_0230.jpg

Probably 15 or 20 minutes into our pool time, they announced the pool was closing due to lightening in the area. Boohoo. Honestly, the wind made getting out of the water a bit chilly which I never thought I would say in Florida. But it was. We went and changed, hung out in the room a bit and went shopping in the hotel, again. Eventually the pool re-opened and we went back for more swimming. Was probably a 45 minute closure. Ish.

At some point we realized we were getting hungry and the kids would start freaking out if we didn't DRAG them out of the pool to have supper. While swimming they didn't seem to realize they were hungry and didn't want to get out, but the second they had a towel around them, suddenly they need food STAT!!! We changed and headed to MK, hoping to catch Wishes from a better angle than last night where the castle hid most of the show.

First stop, Cosmic Rays for a quick dinner. I had a Angus Burger, DH had the Chilli Cheese Dog and the kids had nuggets and chicken of some sort for Matthew, not a kids meal I think this time. Then we hit some rides in Tomorrowland.

IMG_0608.jpg

We took a ride on the Peoplemover...
IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

Then all tried our hand at Buzz...sorry iPhone photo in the dark.
IMG_0609.jpg

I won! DH is a sore loser! :woohoo:
IMG_0610.jpg

We made our way back to Frontierland somehow and rode Splash and Thunder, I stuffed my big good camera into the waistpack (glad to have it back!) then hit Haunted Mansion before heading back through Fantasyland to find a spot for Wishes. Now, I had thought I heard watching from the bridges to Tomorrowland was a good view. So we headed around to a bridge and there were lots of people but we got a spot along the railing. Perfect.

Yeah, umm...not a good spot. Yet again. This time we could see the castle fireworks better, but the trees in front of us blocked the higher fireworks for the most part. Is there a good spot in the park??? Last year we watched from the hub in front of the train station, it was okay, but the buildings on Main Street blocked some of the view. Maybe we should have stayed in Fantasyland? Anyway, from our spot to the side we could only partially really see the Memories show. But that's okay. I didn't really want to deal with the crowds of trying to see if from the front again. I was hoping to be a bit further back on another night to see it one more time.

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

And thus concludes Sunday.

Up next...
Hakuna Matata

Monday morning we were up bright and early for EMH at Animal Kingdom. We waited just a few minutes for the bus and it wasn't packed surprisingly although there was a stroller that just refused to fold up that took a few minutes to figure out for some poor Dad. The driver had to help him bring it on the bus, still half open. We made it to AK right as the gates were opened I guess, there was no Rope Drop show again, weird, we saw no rope drop show this trip although we were at parks at opening several times.

We walked right in and went straight to Africa and the Safari. Basically strolled right on. We got the front row, nice, we've only ever sat in the back. It's so bumpy though, very hard to take video and pictures on this ride.

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

After successfully spotting just about all the animals on the Safari including the Lions sleeping on the rocks as usual we headed towards Asia and Everest and Kali River Rapids. I purposely brought the water camera and not the good camera so we could get good photos and videos on this ride. We love it! When we arrived at Kali, it was not open yet, but people were lining up already. Okay, maybe it's one of the ride that doesn't open for EMH? We kept going to Everest and DH and Matthew rode that. Eric and I headed back to Kali while we waited to see about it opening since it was almost 9am and maybe grab FP for it. We watched the monkeys playing for a bit and still nothing. Then CM's came out and were telling people the ride was down and not opening. They didn't now when it would open. Ugh!

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

DH and Matthew came to meet us there and we headed into the Maharajah Jungle Trek which we missed last year. The Tigers were moving about.

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

After this we headed to Dinoland and rode Dinosaur! It was loud. But fun.

277042900010003.jpg

Then we played in a few stores and stopped for an ice cream break. Of course finding ice cream was no easy feat. Apparently the food carts don't open till close to 10:30 at AK. Didn't know this. We finally found one guy that was just opening up and told us that. It was 10:15am. Sorry, my kids need sugar NOW. After this it was off to Camp Minnie Mickey for a few characters with a visit to the Tree of Life as well. Matthew wasn't into the characters so we only ended up seeing Goofy and Minnie before he started complaining.

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

Photo0106FiveBySeven.jpg

Photo0121FourBySix.jpg

Photo0115FourBySix.jpg

Time for lunch, Pizzafari of course! Had never eaten there but since the kids could have nothing but pizza on this trip it seemed appropriate. Was nice in there, cool and a large dining room. Nice artwork/murals to look at.

IMG_1662.jpg

After lunch, DH and Matthew headed to Everest again and I took Eric to Dinoland to ride Dinosaur again, but he said it was too loud and he'd rather do Triceratops Spin. Um...okay.

IMG_1667.jpg

DH and Matthew came and met up with us and then they waited on a bench while I went to check Kali again, my Lines app was not saying it was down now, it had been then back on with a 60 minute wait and now nothing. I texted DH it was a 45 minute wait and as I said that, I heard them say it was down again. I went back, thank goodness for that little shortcut to Discovery Island, and we decided it was time to go. One more shop where Matthew decided to buy the Tree of Life!!! How am I going to get this thing home. We thought maybe we'd ship some things home. We had that sent to the resort so we didn't have to carry it on the bus anyways. Oh Eric got that Goofy hat from the picture too.

Up next...
Hopping around the World

That sky did not look friendly at all! It's so hard to get the kids out when they want to be there so badly! I remember the pool being the highlight of the trip for Jasmine:lmao:

Sounds like a good morning at AK bummer about KRR though! I do love the shopping at AK so I try and make sure I work that into our daily plans! I always seem to find something unique there that I haven't seen at any other park!

We were puzzled by the lack of opening ceremonies this year, too. And similarly frustrated by the difficulty finding a snack at AK in the mornings! Sounds like a fun day...that's a really good Dinosaur photo you got!

After successfully spotting just about all the animals on the Safari including the Lions sleeping on the rocks as usual

After this we headed to Dinoland and rode Dinosaur! It was loud. But fun.

277042900010003.jpg

Your comment about the Safari is hilarious :rotfl: that's exactly why I think I'll take a break this trip!

I LOVE your photopass picture on Dinosaur! Your boys look terrified, excited, and adorable all at once :lmao:

That sky did not look friendly at all! It's so hard to get the kids out when they want to be there so badly! I remember the pool being the highlight of the trip for Jasmine:lmao:

Sounds like a good morning at AK bummer about KRR though! I do love the shopping at AK so I try and make sure I work that into our daily plans! I always seem to find something unique there that I haven't seen at any other park!

They do have different things there. I actually saw Jibbitz at the Island Mercantile. The only place I found them this trip. Last year the only place was at the store at the Wilderness Lodge and when I went in there for some this trip, a CM told me they didn't sell them anymore and didn't think any store on property sold them anymore so I told her I saw them at AK.

It started raining as we were leaving AK. Eric and I were waiting for Goofy and Pluto in line while DH and Matthew went into a store to wait for us after we decided not to wait on Kali and just go back to the hotel. They pulled the characters before we got to them because of lightening so we headed out to the buses. It was only raining lightly at this point. We hung out on the 4th floor a bit and then went to the room and got ready for the pool once we saw it was opened again. Had been closed when we first got back due to the lightening. No camera, no pictures today.

Was a short break because we had to get ready to head to Epcot for dinner tonight.

Us, before we get all hot and bothered :)
Photo0123FiveBySeven.jpg

Photo0133FiveBySeven-1.jpg

We hit Mousegears for a bit then headed to World Showcase via Canada. We looked around a bit, checked out the menu at Le Cellier while we comtemplated why Canada did not have a Poutine cart out for take out Poutine. How awesome would that be?!?! :confused3 We went inside the shop and I drooled over my childhood treats we just can't get in the States. Namely May West and Areo bars. A lovely CM agreed with me that the lack of these goodies was disturbing. :lmao:

IMG_1678.jpg

Then it was on to the UK where we wandered a little bit, saw a band playing, took a few photos and then went to the Rose & Crown for our ADR.

IMG_1684.jpg

No idea what he's doing here...
IMG_1686.jpg

I had the fish & chips with plenty of vinegar on my chips and a cider and black which was yummy, brought me back to my Ireland trips for work, that was my drink of choice. DH had the pot pie which I'd never in my life seen him eat, he liked it. Kids got pasta, yes, they got pasta in the UK. They didn't have pizza.

IMG_1687.jpg

The we wandered back to Future World.

IMG_1688.jpg

After hitting a few shops and a bathroom, we found a spot for Illuminations right between the 2 shops. Now, I'm not sure what the issue was, the pizza from lunch or the dinner I just had, but I was not feeling well. Let me just say, the lack of adequate restrooms in this part of the park is sad. The only restroom had 2 stalls and a 15 minute line up. Gearing up to Illuminations...not enough. I'm sure it would have been faster to go elsewhere, but it would have been a walk and I was not feeling it. 2 minutes before Illumninations started we were sitting there on the ground and I honestly thought I was going to pass out. I felt the dizzy feeling coming on. Then I got it together and was fine. I took some video and had to lift Eric up so he could see a bit better, then DH took him although I hadn't told him I wasn't feeling well other than I had a bit of cramps. Miraculously I felt a bit better as soon as the show started. I only got one halfway decent picture, but have video of it.

IMG_1692.jpg

As soon as the show was over we hightailed it towards the monorail. It actually was not as busy as we thought it would be, I mean there were people, but it wasn't total chaos like getting out of MK after Wishes was. Not even close. We were probably far enough ahead of most of the crowds further back in WS. We sat at MK for a few minutes on the monorail due to some technical glitch and saw a bit of the beginning of Wishes before getting back to the hotel. As we were walking to our room we heard and saw the water parade going on so we went down to the beach, kicked off our shoes and watched the parade. Then it was bedtime!

IMG_1701.jpg

Up next...
Do the Hokey Pokey

I had asked my girls what they wanted for me to bring them from Disney World - and they said "FOOD!" I think they were just jealous of all of our restaurant trips (they love to eat around the world) - but I decided that was exactly what I would bring them. I got all kinds of strange things in Japan (I tried to pick things that I had either never heard of or had nothing identifiable on the package!), some cookies from Sweden (in Norway!) and lots of candy in England and Canada. The girls loved the aero bars (I wonder why they aren't sold in England, too?) - and I don't remember the other candy I got them to try. What is a May West?? They remind me of moon pies. And what is a poutine?

And I know exactly which bathroom you mean! I stopped in there once and Angie and Shannon thought I might have fallen in! With only two stalls and a line, it took forever - but yes, the next option -- I think it's not til the red phone booths in England!

I had asked my girls what they wanted for me to bring them from Disney World - and they said "FOOD!" I think they were just jealous of all of our restaurant trips (they love to eat around the world) - but I decided that was exactly what I would bring them. I got all kinds of strange things in Japan (I tried to pick things that I had either never heard of or had nothing identifiable on the package!), some cookies from Sweden (in Norway!) and lots of candy in England and Canada. The girls loved the aero bars (I wonder why they aren't sold in England, too?) - and I don't remember the other candy I got them to try. What is a May West?? They remind me of moon pies. And what is a poutine?

And I know exactly which bathroom you mean! I stopped in there once and Angie and Shannon thought I might have fallen in! With only two stalls and a line, it took forever - but yes, the next option -- I think it's not til the red phone booths in England!

I think Aero is purely Canadian, not a UK thing, they've got the good Cadbury going on, the real stuff in the UK. May West is a cakey moon pie/little debbie'ish thing, but the filling is different it's almost custard like but not really, it's hard not soft. Hard to describe. They are yummy, but not a $7.00 a box or whatever they wanted at WS. I get them when I go home sometimes and keep them in the freezer, they are yummy frozen too. They were my snack at school growing up. LOL My mom always brings the boys Smarties when she visits, which are like M&M's sort of, but better.

May West from Wikipedia:
A May West is a round dessert cake with cream filling. It was created in Canada, and continues to be particularly popular in the Province of Quebec.The original creme filling was custard, however it has since then been replaced by a shortening-based vanilla creme close in taste and texture to the filling found in Twinkies.

Poutine is a Quebec thing. It's fries with cheese curds or cubes with hot gravy. I checked and they did have a gourmet version on the menu at Le Cellier, but the best kind is from a street vendor or hole in the wall place that sells hot dogs and poutine and that's it. I think a nice poutine-to-go would make a great WS food snack for Canada to add.

702px-Poutine.jpg

You know, the only rope drop/opening "show" I remember seeing the week I was there was the one at HS. Well, we never made rope drop for MK, so I can't say if there was one or not.

I really liked our dinner at R&C. Keeping that one on the list of places to eat at during our next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter