The MAGIC, the MEMORIES, the storms, and HEY! Where's Perry? Aug 2011 TR (upd: Oct21)

I'm here!!:goodvibes Great updates! Congrats to your hubby on losing 40 pounds, I know that battle, it's not an easy one!!

Your little men are adorable and they look so happy! Sounds and looks like you were all having a great time, can't wait to hear the rest!

Saturday morning rolls around and the itinerary says we're going to Hollywood Studios. I had lots planned for this park. I really wanted to boys to see Lights Motor Action, they love that kinda stuff. I wanted to do the Animation thing since both boys love to draw and Matthew is really good already. We never did the Backlot Tour and I thought they'd enjoy the Catastrophy Canyon part. Of course, meeting Phineus and Ferb was high priority. Had to ride TSM and ToT and Matthew had to do RnR. It's a lot considering Matthew starts disolving into poutiness by 1pm. Eric could go all day and he's the younger one. Was hoping to stay here later, get everything done, see the 1:20pm LMA show and then leave. Did we get it ALL in?

Waiting for the bus, note the kid's shirts!
IMG_1370.jpg

We headed out to the buses, our first bus ride of the trip. Waited only 5 minutes and the first bus that came was for DHS. People kept coming, strollers kept coming. Bus ended up packed. Our trip last year we never saw a packed bus, even in the morning. We arrived just in time for EMH Rope Drop, but they didn't really have a show this day. I told DH to take Matthew and go straight for RnR and Eric and I would go get the FP's for TSM since he can't ride RnR anyways. And I won't. Then we'd come meet them there and do ToT which Eric loves. He loved it last year at 4. Masses of people are all heading to Pixar Place. As we are approaching I see a line and quickly realize it's the line for FP forming and jump into it. I'm not too far back and it eventually stretches way further behind me. It took about 5 minutes before they even turned the FP machines on and then we started moving. Our return time was 10:45 I think, something around there. Not too bad really.

So Eric and I then head towards ToT and just as we get there DH texts me that they are coming out. Perfect timing. We walk right onto ToT, no line even though it says 10 minute wait.

Picture of picture...we middle row left side
IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

Then we head to Star Tours, another favorite of Eric's.

Ready to board our StarShip...
IMG_1376.jpg

Star Tours was cool, even better than last year which we actually did just a few days before it closed for refurbs.

IMG_1377.jpg

Then we walked through Streets of America, asked about Phineus and Ferb and found out they didn't start till 10am. So we headed to the Backlot Tour and did that.

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

We got out of there about 9:45 and headed straight for Phineus and Ferb which wasn't too far away. It's by the Muppet Theatre and where Lightening McQueen and Mater are. The line was already long when we got there, but probably not more than 30 minutes or so we thought. We're waiting, it's only going to get worse. And it did get worse. Right about 10am the music starts and the show start.

IMG_1390.jpg

waiting patiently...
IMG_1391.jpg

playing games with an acorn...
IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

They "fake" make a movie and the director comes out and starts his thing and gets people from the line to join him. He picks people not right at the front of the queue since they'll be doing their meet and greet sooner. Phineus and Ferb came out and after a minute or so of playing to the crowd they went to their spots and they started the meet & greets. The show kept going on in the foreground and lasted about 20 minutes maybe then was done. Not sure when they did another show, but after that it was just wait in line. It was our turn about 10:40 so we waited almost an hour in line total. P&F took 2 quick 2 minute breaks during the 40 minutes they were out there.

video of boys meeting the boys. I didn't get any pictures, waiting for PP CD.

After P&F it was time for TSM with our FP's. We went straight over there and it only took about 10 minutes to be riding.

IMG_1396.jpg

my lame score, I did much better last year.
IMG_1397.jpg

Eric's score, he did better this year.
IMG_1398.jpg

I beat everyone though. Ha! After that we went straight to Sci FI Dine In for our lunch ADR at 11:35. Which I planed to give us plenty of time to eat and make it to LMA for the 1:20 show. So far everything is going according to plan. After LMA we can do the Animation thing and then leave. Of course, on our way to eat, Matthew starts his whining about wanting to leave. He's had enough, why can't we just eat right here, pointing to any place we see along the way. This is where we made the connection that if he is not constantly plied with sugary treats, he goes into whiny mode and it just sets us, DH and I, off. We made sure to keep him high on sugar the rest of the trip. But I digress. We get to Sci Fi and it's nice and cool. We only wait 2 minutes and are seated in our car. Eric thinks it's cool we're sitting in a car. Matthew doesn't care, he just wants food and the pool, and he's sprawled out next to DH on the bench seat looking all doom and gloom. I just want to lock him in the hotel room and visit the parks alone. But I won't do that of course. I just want to. I think he would be a perfect future CM for the Haunted Mansion.

this was the best face he could muster for a photo...he looks terrified
IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

I enjoyed the food and milkshake very much. I had the Turkey Sandwich and DH had a burger. Kids had, yes, you guessed it, Pizza. I swear to GOD are they not sick of pizza by now??? Apparently not yet.

We left Sci Fi about 12:30 and the whining had not stopped. DH couldn't stand it and just said let's go back to the pool. So, no LMA and no Animation. Both things I know Matthew would have loved had he gotten out of his stupid mood. I was now officially annoyed with him, 8 year old boy going on 16 year old teenage girl. It's only Day 3.

pouting at bus stop...
IMG_1411.jpg

Up next...
Little Man is a Star (AKA a very quick blur across the castle)!

We left Sci Fi about 12:30 and the whining had not stopped. DH couldn't stand it and just said let's go back to the pool. So, no LMA and no Animation. Both things I know Matthew would have loved had he gotten out of his stupid mood. I was now officially annoyed with him, 8 year old boy going on 16 year old teenage girl. It's only Day 3.

pouting at bus stop...
IMG_1411.jpg

Up next...
Little Man is a Star (AKA a very quick blur across the castle)![/COLOR]

I have GOT to say it is SO nice to have another parent writing about the moody kid..lol..I figured I'd get flamed for being so real about my moody kids..lol.. Of course the pictures have only begun of the nonsense Taejan pulled..LOL
What day was this HS visit? U said a Saturday but what Date?

I have GOT to say it is SO nice to have another parent writing about the moody kid..lol..I figured I'd get flamed for being so real about my moody kids..lol.. Of course the pictures have only begun of the nonsense Taejan pulled..LOL
What day was this HS visit? U said a Saturday but what Date?

It was Saturday Aug 27th.

YOU gave me the courage to go ahead and whine about my whiny kid.:lmao: But seriously, everything I planned was for them and it just annoyed me because the 5 year old would go along with anything and everything knowing if we were doing it, he'd like it. But Matthew is not the happiest go luckiest kid around normally, so I know this, but it just was so much worse on the trip. When you're stuck together 24/7 it's hard to ignore. I couldn't send him to his room, because it was my room too!!! I felt bad because in order to not make bigger scenes, we just gave Matthew his way when he got like that, but then Eric missed out on things he wanted to do. Poor kid barely saw any characters this trip because Matthew didn't want to. By the end of the week I said too bad, go somewhere with Daddy, but Eric and I are waiting in this line to see this character whether you like it or not. It's his trip too. We spent a fortune to bring you to the happiest place on earth, at least pretend to be happy for more than just the time you are actually on your favorite rides or in the pool.:rolleyes:

It was Saturday Aug 27th.

YOU gave me the courage to go ahead and whine about my whiny kid.:lmao: But seriously, everything I planned was for them and it just annoyed me because the 5 year old would go along with anything and everything knowing if we were doing it, he'd like it. But Matthew is not the happiest go luckiest kid around normally, so I know this, but it just was so much worse on the trip. When you're stuck together 24/7 it's hard to ignore. I couldn't send him to his room, because it was my room too!!! I felt bad because in order to not make bigger scenes, we just gave Matthew his way when he got like that, but then Eric missed out on things he wanted to do. Poor kid barely saw any characters this trip because Matthew didn't want to. By the end of the week I said too bad, go somewhere with Daddy, but Eric and I are waiting in this line to see this character whether you like it or not. It's his trip too. We spent a fortune to bring you to the happiest place on earth, at least pretend to be happy for more than just the time you are actually on your favorite rides or in the pool.:rolleyes:

Yep I hear ya... that is why I let the teens go offf cus I couldn't deal with the drama. My 9 year old is NOT a go with the flow and it caused a few issues.. my daughter is more willing to go with things. The now 6 year old.. well you'll see if you continue reading my report..LOL.. and yep.. we had the 3 wee ones and us in that tiny Pop room.. no break from the nonsense.. and it built as the 10 in park days went on.. by the end I couldn't wait to get home and just send them all to their rooms!

You totally should have abandoned the boys and joined our mom party!!

I know about the whine element. If my youngest isn't happy - no one is happy. It's amazing how stubborn they can be til they get their own way. And yes...at the parks, it's just so much easier to give in.

I know about the whine element. If my youngest isn't happy - no one is happy. It's amazing how stubborn they can be til they get their own way. And yes...at the parks, it's just so much easier to give in.

Kids!LOL

Ya know Kat...I should have! Had I to do over again, I think I'd suggest splitting up more. But then one of us DH most likely, would have been stuck with the Pout Master. :headache:

And yes, we bring them there to show them a good time, so if they are not having fun, what's the point, we went in with a total flex option everyday. We just thought maybe by 8 he would be starting to realize it's not JUST about him all the time. His brother gets to pick and have fun too. But no. Not yet.

I'm another who appreciates a good complain-y kid story in a trip report! I really want to buy a Grumpy t-shirt for my oldest, but he won't go for it. If I have to know that he's grumpy, it seems like everyone else should know, too :laughing:

So, after leaving DHS with Matthew Whiner, we headed back to the resort for a little swimming and calming down time. We had a late night planned. We changed and went to the pool, but within 20 minutes of getting there, guess what? Dark black ominous clouds started rolling in and they closed the pool due to lightening in the area. If it's within 6 miles they have to close they told us. Lovely.

So maybe, just maybe...it was a good thing we left DHS? Maybe Whiny Boy saved us from getting poured on at the LMA show? Maybe. But I refuse to acknowledge that one way or the other. :rolleyes1

We headed inside to the 4th floor to check out the stores again. Matthew picked out a Woody Hat and Eric got Mickey Ears. His first! He also got a Monorail and some track. We grabbed a few things at the market for the room and then headed back.

Goofing off in the room waiting out the storm...
photo9-1.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

It wasn't raining anymore, only lasted a few minutes, but the pool was still closed. We hung out in the room for 20 minutes when we finally saw from our window the pool being open again. Back to the pool. Very convenient to be able to see the pool from our room. Keep this in mind for later in the trip...

100_0200.jpg

100_0185.jpg

So about 6pm we head out towards MK for the evening. Tonight we have the late night, getting everything in, one shot. Parade, Memories and then Wishes. We'll park ourselves right in front of the castle for the best view of Memories, have a good spot of the MSEP and Wishes too. So we walk to MK. Along the way, I yell out, "I FOUND PERRY!" The kids start laughing when they see (they were too busy staring at the ground looking for salamander to notice) the guy in front of us.

IMG_0441.jpg

We get there and I take this picture, then stop into Guest Service where the lovely girl at Epcot Guest Services told me to go to find my lost waist pack. I wait 5 minutes in line for the next available CM. I tell her my story. She tells me she is TERRIBLY sorry, but I was given misinformation. The Lost & Found is not here, it's at the TTC in it's own separate building off to the side. I mean Epcot chicky was very specific, it's to the right after you go through bag check. Bag check...AT THE PARK. Not the TTC. Ugh, what!?! Well, I'm not getting it now. We're hungry. Good thing I brought the ziplock baggy with me to protect my camera incase it rained. I can fit the camera in the waist pack and was planning on putting it in there, I was quite confident I was getting it back.

IMG_0448.jpg

We head over to the kids favorite place, Frontierland and decided on Pecos Bills for dinner. Have never eaten here actually. I had the Taco Salad and enjoyed the DIY toppings bar. DH looked at the tray when we got the food and said, "umm they forgot your salad." It was just a tortilla shell with ground beef in it. LOL I said you get everything else at the toppings bar I assume. I assumed right. Kids got burgers an DH got the BBQ Sandwich.

IMG_0463.jpg

Again, we went on Splash and Thunder Mountains and we made it through Swiss Family Treehouse which we'd never done. Then it was time to head over to the hub and grab a spot right in front of the castle. We wanted the best view to see Eric up there in the video. I proceeded to take a lot of pictures of the castle changing colors as it got dark.

Matthew was instantly exhausted because sitting and waiting is just not what he wanted to do. I've been waiting 6 months to see this in person. We're seeing it.

The "tude" started right away when we got to our spot. 8:12pm...
IMG_0499.jpg

We had planted ourselves a few rows in from the curbside and everyone was sitting and there were 2 strollers and a wheelchair in front of us. We thought this would be good since we knew could all easily see over the wheelchair. Worked out well, everyone stayed sitting during the parade and we were the first row of standing people so the kids had a good view. One lady decided to stand to take pictures and people were yelling at her to sit down since she chose to sit curbside she should stay seated. Honestly, standing and taking picture from in the road is not going to give her the best view or angle, she's too close. If she wanted to take photos she should have come back a few steps. But whatever. I shot around her mostly. Matthew did get up and enjoyed the parade, he said he liked that the best, better than the fireworks or Memories.

He did smile during the parade too, but I haven't seen the evidence yet.I took a snapshot from a video.
VID01821.jpg

The everyone just turned in place and sat down and waited for Memories. I thought it was an incredible show, much better in person than just seeing it on YouTube. And being so close. Amazing. I warned DH and Eric when he was coming up and we all saw him. Matthew was half sleeping in DH's lap, he says he didn't fall asleep, but who knows. He didn't react to the castle on fire scene which he always does when he's seen the video so I'm pretty sure his eyes were closed for most of it. Eric thought it was cool to see himself even if it was real quick. They took away the screen they had up I see during the videos online, probably because people complained about it being up there all the time. But it's harder to make out the video without that screen there, the arches on the castle make it harder. Then Wishes was due to start in just a few minutes so we stayed in place as did most people. Well...I never realized this but the front of the castle is probably the very worst spot to watch Wishes from. We couldn't see anything around the castle, they were right behind it and the far away high ones were slightly better. Now we know.

Scoping out my view of where the video will be during Memories
IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Eric's moment... a snapshot from the video I was taking on my Flip.
VID01822.jpg

I posted a brief clip of that part of the video on YouTube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvKfRzYpM5o

Getting out was slow going, but we were very happy when we finally reached the exit and could just walk home. Only a few people on the walkway and hoardes of people everywhere else heading to the buses and such. It was nice I gotta say.

Took this at 10:10pm on the escalator heading to our room. We had gone up to get an ice cream snack at Contempo. Happy little guy got to see himself in lights!

IMG_0600.jpg

Up next..
To Fantasmic, or Not to Fantasmic, that is the question.

Oh, there you are Perry. :lmao: Love it!

You think these guys will mind I posted their backsides on the internet? :lmao:

I just edited the post to include a clip of the video, I extracted the part we saw Eric from the video since I filmed the whole 10 minute show. If only that guy in front of me had stopped moving constantly with his puffy hair.

And the Photopass CD shipped yesterday so those are on the way!!! I'll be away this weekend so no more updates till Monday, hopefully PP gets here Monday.

I'm here! And all caught up... you got some great pics of the castle in different colors and of the MSEP. Makes me wish I had taken the "big" camera with me on my trip. Oh, well... there's always next time, right? ;)

First off, loving your TR!

DH and I are planning a surprise trip in 2012 :dance3: and I'm looking to get a new camera. Am thinking I'd like one of those waterproof, dirtproof, shockproof types - you know, safe for even the 7yr old to use even though I dropped the last one in Lake Erie (FYI it still works, just had to take it all apart and do some heavy duty praying it was going to still work since it was the beginning of the vacation :eek:) So what kind of camera do you have? Your water shots look very good.

Will also have to add the P&F meet & greet to the list since it seems to constantly be on at our house. Can only think there must be some kind of time/space issue in PA where that is on every channel 24 hrs/day. Where is that spot? We didn't explore much at DHS during our last trip because it seemed as though everytime we were in that park it POURED!

We had lunch at Tony's on Saturday, August 27th. We literally just checked in to our room at CSR about two hours before that. I gave Josh my room key because we were on the DDP and he came back to tell me that he lost my room key!:scared1: Ok, that had my room key on it, my dining plan on it, my hopper pass on it and I had charging priviledges on it. He was soo sorry for misplacing it. He came back to the table with two special FPs for our family to use at any attraction at any time at the MK during our entire stay. He told me to go to City Hall and tell them what happened and they would void my lost card and issue me a new one. The FPs were for the inconvenience of having to do that. Nice guy, but not a super great way to start a vacation.

We had lunch at Tony's on Saturday, August 27th. We literally just checked in to our room at CSR about two hours before that. I gave Josh my room key because we were on the DDP and he came back to tell me that he lost my room key!:scared1: Ok, that had my room key on it, my dining plan on it, my hopper pass on it and I had charging priviledges on it. He was soo sorry for misplacing it. He came back to the table with two special FPs for our family to use at any attraction at any time at the MK during our entire stay. He told me to go to City Hall and tell them what happened and they would void my lost card and issue me a new one. The FPs were for the inconvenience of having to do that. Nice guy, but not a super great way to start a vacation.

Oh my goodness! Josh was a super nice guy, but I gotta say, he was kinda flaky and just seemed to not be paying attention. That had to have been a major inconvenience. How do you lose someone's "credit card" basically when you are the waiter??? :confused3 I asked for ginger ale and he asked if sprite as ok. Then brought me a coke. And was like, oh did you not want a coke? You actually said the word sprite out loud buddy since you don't have ginger ale. He said the drink out loud and then brought the wrong one. I was like, this guy's in space. I woulda said, well, we can't pay for dinner now since you lost out KTTW card. ;)

First off, loving your TR!

DH and I are planning a surprise trip in 2012 :dance3: and I'm looking to get a new camera. Am thinking I'd like one of those waterproof, dirtproof, shockproof types - you know, safe for even the 7yr old to use even though I dropped the last one in Lake Erie (FYI it still works, just had to take it all apart and do some heavy duty praying it was going to still work since it was the beginning of the vacation :eek:) So what kind of camera do you have? Your water shots look very good.

Will also have to add the P&F meet & greet to the list since it seems to constantly be on at our house. Can only think there must be some kind of time/space issue in PA where that is on every channel 24 hrs/day. Where is that spot? We didn't explore much at DHS during our last trip because it seemed as though everytime we were in that park it POURED!

For the waterproof camera I just got a Kodak Easyshare Sport I found on Amazon for $66.00. I didn't want to spend too much on it. It works great, does video underwater too.

P&F is on 24/7 here too. I like it though at least. I can handle it being on a lot, I'm just glad they aren't watching SpongeBob any more. I hate that show. P&F are by the Muppet Theatre on Streets of America, there is a sign, you can't miss it.

There is nothing I love more than pictures of the castle and your's are amazing! Great update!

Thank you!

I'm here! And all caught up... you got some great pics of the castle in different colors and of the MSEP. Makes me wish I had taken the "big" camera with me on my trip. Oh, well... there's always next time, right? ;)

Next time, that's right! Welcome back, can't wait to hear about your mom's trip!

Great TR! We were there Aug 28- Sept 3rd!!! How did you know DH was going to be in the MMY video??

I had been contacted by a marketing firm working for Disney back before Christmas last year about my video I submitted to their memories site being on the short list of videos they might use for marketing purposes. Those new commercials using people's home movies. I had to sign some paperwork to allow it, if they chose to use it, which they haven't. They sent us 5 lithographs for the trouble. But when in January the new castle show premiered I found it on Youtube and watched thinking maybe since they liked the video enough to consider it for a commercial they might have used it in the show. I was crying by halfway through and it wasn't until almost the very end that I jumped off my chair when I saw my little guy's face there. They did use it! They never told me though, it had nothing to do with the other stuff. If I hadn't of watched it closely I never would have known. They never informed me it was being used in the show.

I just got all caught up! I am sorry about the runaround with your bag you lost. Glad to hear you enjoyed Tony's - we liked it too, despite all of the bad reviews. I love your Perry game! We play similar games in the park, and it is always fun. I think that P & F is a cute show, and saw TONS of stuff in the parks when we were there too. Since we were there on some of the same days as you, we also had pool closures from the storms, but we were really lucky that it never lasted for long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter