The Mad May DIS Moderator Trip to Orlando, May 24-31 PROLOGUE Hard Rock/Dolphin

Robinrs

DIS Veteran
Cast of Characters: Me, Robinrs aka Cheapskate, 45yo kid in Disguise
Michael, 8yo Adult in Disguise

Trip #6 to Paradise in less than 2 years!

Prologue:

Well I became a Moderator for the Community Board back in October 2000, one of the best days of my internet life! Shortly after that I found out that Pete Werner, the founder of this wonderful site, was giving a party for the moderators at his home in May of 2001, which sounded like a million years away.

I had gone to Orlando the month before and attended a DIS meet at the ESPN Zone on the Boardwalk. I took the Friendship boat to the Boardwalk from MGM. It was a beautiful dusky September night. I was staying at the All Star Music. It was that night that I decided if I go BROKE, I was staying in that area in May.

Yeah, right...

Well, Cheapskate checked out the rack rates on the Boardwalk. :earseek: Okay, maybe not. Then I tried the Yacht and Beach club. :earseek: Oh, No! Next..

How about the Swan and Dolphin? :D

Yikes... :earseek: :earseek:

Oh well, nevermind. :(

It was about that time when my dear email buddy, and great Budget partner NancyIL told me about someone who called himself SwanDolphin on the Resort Board. By then he had gotten himself quite a following and there were posts upon posts thanking this incredible man for instituting great discounts at the S/D.

Could he perhaps, help me???? :p

Hey, it wouldn't hurt to ASK!

So, ask I did. :D

I got up the cajones to ask the very mysterious SwanDolphin to please email me.

To my SHOCK he replied almost immediately. :bounce: (I still have the email filed!)

Before I knew it, I, me, the hard-working, heavy laden, single Mom from Brooklyn, was actually staying in that GORGEOUS area I thought I could only dream about at the Dolphin! WoooooHOOOOOOO! :bounce: :bounce:

But wait... :o

I also had a birthday trip for Michael set up for January. We were staying at the Holiday Inn Family Suites. Well, needless to say, this hotel is MADE for kids and parents with their incredible kid's suites. I was thrilled to have my own room to myself, especially not being stuck looking at HIS shows when I was trying to get some rest. All the way back home, Micheal begged to go back to the HIFS.

But I already had the reservation for the Dolphin.

What's a Dolphin to an 8yo? Compared to a room with a Nintendo and bunk beds, that cool looking hotel with the fish on top of it was losing it's appeal... :rolleyes:

So whoyagonnacall?

SwanDolphin!!

I crawled humbly to the feet of the MAN, and winced and asked for a suite at the Dolphin. Then I ducked. I just knew he was going to hit me with a number that would send me reeling... or worse, yet...

DISOWN ME... :(

Well, thank you, God, he did NEITHER. :D

He emailed me in his laughing, funny way and told me he'd take care of me. The rate was much more but I figured it would be worth it to have more room...

I HAD NO IDEA HOW MUCH MORE ROOM.... :earseek:

Fast forward...

A few months after being a mod for the Community Board I somehow inherited the Universal/IOA board (yay YAY). I got an email which I filed also, asking me if I would mind (MIND???) and I thought, GREAT!

Now, I need to go check out the new stuff at Universal, especially the new Hard Rock Hotel and it's Front of the Line access system, hereby referred to as FOTLt became at one point the ONE AND ONLY subject on the board and I knew in order to keep up I had to get down there.

Tried the hotel.. SOLD OUT! :( They had rooms at the Portofino but the rates were outrageous! Remember the reaction I had to the Boardwalk and the Y&B Club... yes, folks, I have champagne tastes and a beer budget. But I always find a way.... :cool:

On the board someone mentioned www.hoteldiscounts.com had a good deal on the Hard Rock. I checked on my dates and VOILA, they had them and they had them for WAY less than the rack rate. NOT as little as the Entertainment rate, but a good deal nonetheless. And the best part was that I paid upfront, which I was used to from my Priceline days, so I didn't have to worry about paying for the hotel at the end of my stay.

So my May trip was set. May 24th-26th at the Hard Rock, May 26th to 31st at the Dolphin. Pete's Party was on the 26th. I got my car set up from the National Emerald Aisle, got my air transportation from Airtran, all set up on the internet. In fact the entire trip was set up on the web... all this from a woman who first laid eyes on the internet in last 1998 and had to be taught how to use a mouse by her son! :rolleyes: HAIL HAIL the information superhighway!! :bounce:

Stay tuned for Part 1.. when we ACTUALLY make it to Orlando... eventually... does ANYONE have the email for Airtran's customer service dept???

very funny robin... I am the budget queen myself...

I have a hard time even justifying flying..

THe Dolphin, how nice...

I was wondering when you were going to post your reports - I followed the link from the CB

Can't wait to hear about the suite and whether or not it is up to par for Michael ;)

Robin: You have me sooooo psyched about our trip to HRH at the end of the month!! Thanks:p

WOW!!! Robin what a great prologue! I can't wait to read the rest. Going now!

Aloha,
Finally I am reading trip reports. It happens every time I take a trip. I stop reading reports for about 3 months ... and then I give in to my addiction again. Strange. But I am glad I get to read yours...after all your trip reports are what started me on the DIS!
Donna
:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter