The Last Trip: An (Eastern) Fantasy Food Adventure-Bonus Feature, Pam & Her Mom Pt 2 Sept 17 the end

All caught up again!
You got some breathtaking pics of the scenery! And of a cat!!! :goodvibes
I need to do some research of what we can do in ports next summer. Not really a fan of what Disney is offering, but we'll see.

Thanks for sharing, Alison! I don't know what I am more excited about - next year's vacation or the one that is coming up in 100 days. ;)

Those icees look great! Your tour looks very fun.

They were tasty, it was a nice touch on the part of our tour guide.

Thank you for the bat signal! I was two updated behind. :blush: For some reason I am not getting notifications from any threads outside of the DLR board. :confused:

Those views are gorgeous and the tour looks fun. I am glad you had a good guide; it makes all the difference. I am sorry Fran wasn't feeling well. :hug:

Huh. I'll have to try and remember to let you know when I update. She often doesn't feel well, so we just need to go with it.

What a nice tour! We stopped there once on an NCL cruise and took a taxi to Brewer's Bay. We loved the quiet beach and watching the birds dive (like in your pic).

I'm trying to decide what I want to do when we got back in a year and a half. None of the Disney tours appeal to me. But I don't necessarily want to spend the $$'s to do it again. There are a bunch of other folks going with us, so perhaps it will depend on what we all decide. I think Fran might rather stay on the ship and sleep.

Looks like you had a lovely tour of the island! Those icees seem like a nice 'perk' Too bad Fran wasn't feeling up for the Rum or Wineries!

I'm wondering if on the next one if different folks will change our choices. There are a number of folks on that trip that might be interested in having a drink somewhere with a view!

That's good that she was feeling better.

And I'm glad that you managed to see some of the island. It looks really fascinating to me.

Yes, I thought the Island was pretty interesting!

Until 1970? Wow! That would have cost the British Navy an arm and a leg!

Probably by 1970, it was costing them a pretty penny. Besides they concluded that systems on the ship had become more complex that rum may not be the best supplement for officers and seamen.

There's traffic jams everywhere!!! I guess this is their equivalent of the 4-0-5.

Must be!

I can't believe how that vehicle made it round those hairpin bends!

There were even more unbelievable vehicles on those roads, think about the trucks that you rode into Monument Valley and Page. They had vehicles like that going around. I'm not quite sure if they went on that remote side of the island, but they were among the "traffic jams".

Nice! You got to stalk one.

I actually stalked a few but not all the pictures came out, those suckers can move when they want to!

WOW! Did you stop there?

Unfortunately, no.

That looks like a Siamese! Surely.....it wasn't a stray????

It looked pretty scruffy....

Good on ya! I expect that's a week's worth or a month's worth of pay right there for her.

That could be true. I have no idea what the economy of the islands looks like there.

Beautiful pictures!

Thank you! :goodvibes

And these are the SHORT updates?? :faint:

Well, I was going to make the island tour all one update.... :rolleyes1

:eek: I imagine that would not be a good feelilng, watching your ship sail away...

No I imagine not, but at least the next port wasn't too far away, so I imagine you could have hired a private charter to take you there if you did miss it.

The math seems to work on paper, but why do I get the feeling there's some foreshadowing going on here?

Actually it was more for @pkondz's benefit. He was wondering what made us go outside our comfort zone and book a non Disney excursion, so I just explained all of our background thinking, even after I explained that there were no excursions that were Handicapped Friendly.

Heh. Take that, Carnival! Did you stand there and laugh at them?

Yes, I did, actually. After all their mishaps, I will never consider sailing on their ships, even though there are two that leave from my own town!

:rotfl2: When Julie says something like this, it usually means, "You owe me big time, and I intend to collect."

Fran collects all the time, she just wants me to feel guilty for pressuring her.

I imagine real estate is at a premium on a tiny island like that.

Actually that island is mostly locals and tourists, the real "real estate" is the islands that the billionaires purchase. They still have to pay some sort of rent or tax to the government even when they purchase the whole island. Remember when Obama finished his term and he was off jetskiing and posting pictures of himself having a blast. He was on one of those islands owned by a billionaire.

:eek: I'd be out of a job!

Nah, you'd just be in charge of the little roads too. If there is anyone in charge of those.

Paradise looks a lot different up close.

::yes::

I really like that shot!:thumbsup2

Thanks! That was one of the money shots I wanted to get. Is it Rob (GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes), he had that shot on his TR from the Fantasy.

Oh, sure. I see how it is.

I think she's just not paying attention to when or where she posts. :ssst:

:sad2:

Ain't nobody got time for that!

I try. :confused3

Look at that! Crashed right into the garden. Hope everyone was ok.

:laughing: I can't believe two of you went there, but then again, noting the two, it makes sense.

Looks like concrete to me as well. Asphalt is smoother and cheaper, but doesn't last as long. Concrete is more rigid and expensive, and requires expansion joints every so often to keep from cracking. But it will last much longer than asphalt.

There you go, that was the sort of answer I was looking for. I wondered why you see both surfaces in certain places.

I guess these things must turn a profit.

Evidently.

Reminds me of Kauai.

Now that you mention it, I remember hearing that about the place.

Yes! Good one!

Thanks! :goodvibes

It's like I don't even know you guys anymore.

:lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

Just look at that water!

I know, so pretty!

Well, good. I'd hate for you guys to have to make do with a replica.

Yeah, but I think the curator was a bit touched in the head.

The camera tends to flatten things out a bit.

Yeah, cause those turns were really scary.

Now that one looks REALLY steep!

Thank you!

This reminds me so much of Hawaii. Amazing how different two sides of the same island could be. So many different climate zones in such a small space.

Yeah, it is amazing how that works out.

Wow, she was probably begging you guys to come back!

I wouldn't be surprised. If we do something that requires transport when we're back in a year and a half, I wouldn't hesitate to contact that company again.

The store you bring them to.

Too cheap for that!

Toss those ones.

Not without going through them!

Still waiting on the response. I'm sure it will be favourable though.

Oh yes, I'm sure. Disney never gives you a negative answer.

That's it? No Caramilks for her! :laughing:

Yeah, she took my last one!

Never seen Some Like it Hot (but am aware of the movie.) Some day...

Think of any old movie where the moving scenery just doesn't look right.

I guess I look at it this way. Prior to the British (or French... or Spanish... or Portuguese) coming over, there was nothing like that there. Then when they did build... they seem to always be stuck in that period of street design/layout.

OK. So just old fashioned.

Okay. Final offer. Lighter fluid and a match.

In our country insurance fraud is illegal. Not sure about Canada.

They can certainly use some help! Have you had the misfortune of seeing the drivel I've written lately???

I didn't mean the content, I was referring to the fact that you have mentioned sometimes you leave the "copy" at work or at home and you are in the opposite location. With Google documents as long as you are signed in under your Google sign in you can access the document. I'm "Fran" on my laptop so I share any documents I create with "me" so that I can edit them on my phone.

Did you try some? (Either the berry or the wine?)

I think the icee thing was Guavaberry.

Nicer than the one I'd posted, but similar.

When I saw the picture you posted, I knew that it looked similar but I couldn't place what was different. I know that Fran had a window sitting in the back seat. Now I see the difference.

Too bad that it crashed, though. Get out of the hedge okay?

You and Mark! Sheesh! Yes it survived the crash just fine!

Man, those ships dwarf.... everything!

Well considering that most of the buildings in town are 2-3 stories maybe 4 tops, and those ships are 13 or more decks tall, yes they do!

Did you stop? I would've been pretty tempted.

Yeah, but I knew Fran didn't want to. So we didn't.

I'm guessing if the home is finished, it means the owner is fairly well off.

It appeared to be that way.

Busy!... And very pretty.

Yeah, I've realized that sitting on a beach is not my idea of a good time, so I was OK with passing it up.

Yup. You can tell. The water's obviously more wet here.

Definitely more wet.

I keep picturing Fran's birthday meal......

You are sick!

:laughing: Why??? You didn't have a fryer with you, did you?

Too much work!

Not something you see everyday.

No, and I didn't even notice it. They had to roll down the windows and point it out to me! :laughing:

It does. Nice shot, Alison.

Thanks! :goodvibes

I have no idea why... but I really like this shot. Maybe it shows a more "everyday" scene?

It was definitely "still life in the islands".

The rum wasn't great or the tour?

I read that the price for the tour and the amount of rum that they gave you was not really in sync. Probably just disgruntled folks, but since Fran didn't feel good I wasn't going to push it. Perhaps that's what the part about "going under duress" meant, that I shouldn't expect more than just that she would ride along. I didn't push it.

I'm not commenting on every photo, but I'm enjoying all of them!

Well thank you!

Hey! That's right! I hadn't quite clicked on that yet.

Well I'm glad that I could point that out for you then....

So you stopped then. What did you have? Or did you just admire the view?

No, we did stop, but just for me to get out and take some pictures.

Sure. Why not. Someone has to be the originator.
(Love all the signs.)

I actually thought that the person who did that was a little cray cray.....

You guys covered a lot of ground.

We did!

Nice! Caught that bird in mid-dive.

I was hoping that I would, a few of them made dives.

What the heck is a rage party?

OK, maybe I meant rave.....

Probably the locals are pretty used to it.

They probably aren't even phased by those turns.

Nah. Island mentality. Relax. What's the worst that could happen?

Death. Destruction. Not much.

You've got a good eye for details.

I just like plants. Don't know much about them, but I notice them.

How were they? And... "treated". She paid? Or they were free? Or you guys had to pay?

They were good, not too sweet. She paid, they were only a dollar a piece. Fran tried to pay, but they wouldn’t let her.

That's why you should always travel with a soundproof backpack.

Where do you come up with this sh..stuff? :confused3

:laughing: If you don't have another sign, just turn it around so the arrow points in the right direction. They'll figure it out.

The movie production companies use that tactic they have the "working production name" written in both directions on the edges of the sign, so one is always right side up and one is always upside down. There is an arrow in the middle so that they can turn the sign for the arrow to point in the correct direction, so whether it's a left turn or a right, the text on top is right side up.

Pass. I much prefer where you guys went and saw.

I'm glad you approve. It didn't look like I'd find much I'd really want there.

:goodvibes Bet it felt good to make her day like that.

We hadarned talked in advance. The tour was $300, so we were prepared to give her a minimum of $30, but we agreed to give her more if she did a good job. I didn't expect her reaction, and I'm not sure she even knew how much the tip was, she might have just been blown away by the tip in general.

Uh, oh... this bodes... not well....

:rolleyes1

WOOOHOOO for bonus time!

Yeah, we had a guy working on our solar, and he took way longer than expected, we were just sitting around waiting for him to finish so we could go to band. In the end, he took so long we just played hookey! :lmao:

I really love this! It reminds vaguely of the mural in The Ditch, just a little less artistically done. But still folksy and Latino/Caribbean in nature.

Just goes to show how authentic Disney really is!

We call those Granges up here.

I assume they are indoors as well.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this was the home of a foreigner.

Probably. Either that or someone very important and rich, yeah I'm going with foreigner.

This looks a lot like Scotch Broom, an invasive species up here, but I looked up some images and the flowers are different. Same pretty sunshiny yellow. Love it.

I'm not good with names, pretty flowers works for me.

Mmmm, stewed chicken!

Huh. @pkondz goes with fried, you go with stewed. I'm going with broiled.

Beautiful! Very tranquil.

Best to avoid rum in these circumstances. Especially on THOSE roads!

Rum is better enjoyed in the comfort of the bars on the ship!

A legit place. I'd stop there for a drink in a heartbeat!

I'm wondering if any of my cruise mates in August 2018 would fancy taking a taxi there for a drink....

I want to snorkel riiiiiiight there! Yep. Right there.

Oddly enough, I'm not sure if I saw any snorkeling excursions. But then again I filtered on Mild and Moderate. I didn't feel "Active".

The rage parties sounds more accurate.

At least you know what I mean.

Well, that was abrupt.

Pretty much once we turned from one side of the island to the other the entire eco system changed.

This for the cars who don't make the turn and end up rolled over.

:rotfl:

You know I always do. :hug:

:hug:

I'm caught up again!!! I CANNOT wait to cruise with you guys next year!!!! Hopefully the person who shall not be named is able to bunk with me. ;)

Jill in CO

I hope so, it's already an amazing group of folks and that would just make it better!

All caught up again!
You got some breathtaking pics of the scenery! And of a cat!!! :goodvibes
I need to do some research of what we can do in ports next summer. Not really a fan of what Disney is offering, but we'll see.

Yeah I looked at the Disney excursions for Tortola and nothing really appealed to me. I wouldn't want to repeat this one. The Sugar Mill museum sounds interesting enough, but I'm also considering just enjoying the empty ship.

Thanks for sharing, Alison! I don't know what I am more excited about - next year's vacation or the one that is coming up in 100 days. ;)

Well since I don't have one in 100 days, I'm excited about the one next year!

Well, I had some multi-quote difficulties so let's try this from memory...

I'm glad the tour worked out well for you. Even despite Fran's hesitance and going "under duress" it seems like it ended up being a very nice, leisurely tour of the island. Probably more enjoyable than the official Disney tour. I'm glad you were able to do it!

I could just see Fran trying to rescue the cat and returning to the trip all scratched up because the cat decided it didn't need to be rescued.

Well, I had some multi-quote difficulties so let's try this from memory...

There seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

I'm glad the tour worked out well for you. Even despite Fran's hesitance and going "under duress" it seems like it ended up being a very nice, leisurely tour of the island. Probably more enjoyable than the official Disney tour. I'm glad you were able to do it!

It was a nice time spent, no real walking, but she was happy to stop the car and let me get out if I wanted. It was just neat to soak it all in.

I could just see Fran trying to rescue the cat and returning to the trip all scratched up because the cat decided it didn't need to be rescued.

:laughing: She doesn't even move fast enough to catch the cat, much less pick it up. If anyone it would have been running after it!

So we just got back from our Island tour. It probably went a little bit over the three hours, but I wasn’t keeping track. We’d eaten breakfast before 9AM and with the walk (ride) back to the ship, and going through the whole security thing. (All the CMs were jealous of our wine!) It was probably quarter to 3PM and we were starved. Fran sent me up to get her a Hot Dog. They had a nice little salad bar at the sandwich fixins, so I made a salad. I dressed half with Italian for me and half with Ranch for her.

I called her on the wave phone to let her know that they had a Philly Chesesteak special that day so she asked for one of those. I ordered a Ham, tomato, and Mozzarella Panini. Mine was going to take 4 minutes, so I said I'd wait. When it was ready they gave me a tiny cheesesteak, and one piece of panini (they asked on the panini) I asked for another piece of cheesesteak and they said it would be 5 minutes, so I gave up. I grabbed a bag of chips, a slice of pepperoni and went back to the room.

She complained about the size of the sandwich, and I explained that I tried to get her two chunks. She practically inhaled the food, and then said, “Now will you get me that hot dog, and see if they have any dessert up there?”

So I came back with a Hot Dog, fries and a chocolate chip cookie. She was happy after this.

By now it was 3:30. We planned to go have a drink in Meridian (before our Remy dinner) and watch the sail away around 5PM. She laid down for a nap, and I went downstairs to grab a couple Navigators. She wants to make a “Fantasy Eastern Caribbean” package to put up on eBay. She loves selling stuff that we get for free. Hasn’t happened so far….

I just vegetated and watched “Planes: Fire and Rescue” while playing Mahjong until it was time to get dressed and go.

At Meridian, we took a seat outside and I ordered my normal cocktail while she had a diet Coke.

This is the port area. The shops we walked around that day were in the building with the pink roof and the red building with the blue roof.

And a less zoomed in shot. See that pathway that goes along the temporary fencing along the oceanfront? Follow that to the parking lot.

See down there where we loaded up the scooter. Our van could have been that Land Roveresque vehicle, we loaded up right there.

We had just missed the sunset, but I guess it wasn’t all that spectacular and colorful.

We had barely started to pull out of port when the Maitre’D found us and told us that our table was ready. Did I already show you pictures of Remy? If I did, look again.

I love the cocktail that they prepare for you at Remy dinner. It’s called a Collette. This is the recipe. Though I took pictures of our waiter Stephan during every step of the preparation, I will spare every single picture.

Collette Cocktail

1/2 oz. Grey Goose VX
1/2 oz. Grand Marnier Paris Edition
4 oz. Taittinger La Française
3 Cassis Pearls
2 Dried Pineapple Cubes

In a martini glass, place Cassis Pearls. Pour Grand Marnier, add champagne and vodka. Finish with dried pineapple cubes.

We watched the rest of the sail away from there.

This is the burst of Tomato that they serve as an Amuse Bouche. I had forgotten that they serve this. It is a tiny little ball, but as soon as you bite into it your mouth explodes with a burst of flavor.

They served us bread and butter, with, I want to say, pink Himalayan salt. But don't quote me.

We perused the menu, these were the prix fixe menus, the French menu is on the left and the American on the right.

I went with the French and Fran went with the American. I believe our plan was to switch partway through with the exception of the first course since I don't like salmon. You can also order what you like instead of a prix fixe menu. I probably should have done that based on the way that the evening unfolded.

We continued out of the harbor.

At Remy you always start out with the burst of tomato you saw before and this Fois Gras Siphon.

After reading the name (which I found on a Disney Cruise Line Blog), I became curious as to what the heck that meant. So I looked it up.

The siphon is an indispensable accessory in the kitchen for making good mousses, various pastries and Chantilly, creamy creams or tasty verrines for aperitifs or appetizers .

So evidently the fois gras is made into that creamy stuff, and then they put macadamia nuts in it. I imagine at least one of you are saying, “Blech!” But it wasn’t bad at all. I actually liked it!

Then it was time to pour our beverages for our first course. This was mine.

And this was Fran’s.

Cheers!

My first dish was Asparagus Soup, they like the preparation where they bring a plate and then pour stuff on it.

This was Fran’s Salmon.

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

And our wines for the next course. I’m guessing that I had the Rose, but truthfully I don’t remember.

These little Gnocchi were very tasty!

And there they go again, pouring that sauce on the plate.

Fran had Sablefish, which she liked very much.

More Wines, this was mine.

And Fran’s

I was served Halibut, and here’s where the chapter title comes in. This is where I regretted eating lunch. I took one bite, it was delicious, and I couldn't eat another bite, I was just too full.

She got pork belly and finished my halibut.

Wines for the main course.

She got beef tenderloin and I was served lamb, but I was just too full to eat it. I was really regretting having eaten lunch at the point.

At this point we had to decline the cheese course. I was so bummed because I was totally looking forward to it! But they did bring us wines to go with our desserts. This one was mine.

Fran had this.

By the time that dessert arrived I had found a little bit more room. My dessert was a lemon flavored sort of thing. It looked like a lemon when it arrived, and when you cracked it open, it had a very interesting filling. I probably would have been thrilled with it if I wasn’t so stuffed. I ate about half of this.

Fran's dessert was a Maple-Pumpkin Caramel Terrine, and after she finished mine off, she said hers was better. I would probably disagree.

Then they brought us more of the little cake things, and these little custard like things. We could take the cakes, but not the custards. And try as we would, we could not finish them.

They sent us home with two long stem roses. We met our steward in the hall and he ran to get us a vase. The next day we cut the stems with cuticle scissors.

We had a cute little bullfrog as our towel animal.

I think I was in bed with a food coma at 9PM.

Omg, Remy looks sooo good. I love eating there!!! Hopefully its on the agenda or next August or I'm ditching you guys and going by myself!

Jill in CO

Very nice island photos during your tour.

I will never get tired of seeing your food porn on the DCL and Remy's meal look amazing.

Oh my that meal! I am sorry that you weren't able to eat everything, but it sounds like you enjoyed everything you did have.

I'm with the above poster I LOVE your food porn entries :thumbsup2 It's too bad you ended up being full from lunch to fully enjoy Remy though :cool:

Remy looks so good. The Fois Gras Siphon looks really good but with the addition of the nuts I wouldn't be able to eat it as I am allergic to nuts.

Reading your Remy experience when I'm barely able to eat much and I'm not allowed to drink was not a smart choice on my part.

I feel bad you were so full during your meal and couldn't experience it all! Remy is such an amazing restaurant. They are so creative with their options and it seems like they continue to innovate their options so that it doesn't get stale (like V&A got for a while). I'm glad you got to enjoy what you could and I'm glad Fran enjoyed as well! That lemon dessert is so clever!

Oh No!! What a nightmare!! To be at Remy and not be hungry enough!! I have to say that I found the portion sizes to be quite good for the menu, meaning that I was able to eat everything without too much of an issue. Yes, the candy at the end was an issue. But we took those with us. Michael and I are still cruised out. But I think Remy is the one thing that would get us back onto the ship sooner than later. It is so amazing!!

Sacrebleu! Fancy not being hungry there. That's a shame.

WOW! Such amazing food and presentation at Remy's

She loves selling stuff that we get for free. Hasn’t happened so far….
:rotfl2:

I was served Halibut, and here’s where the chapter title comes in. This is where I regretted eating lunch. I took one bite, it was delicious, and I couldn't eat another bite, I was just too full.
Uh oh... I'm sorry it didn't work out better. I know you're a foody so it is a shame that you just weren't feeling it for such a nice meal.

At this point we had to decline the cheese course. I was so bummed because I was totally looking forward to it! But they did bring us wines to go with our desserts. This one was mine.
No cheese to go?

The next day we cut the stems with cuticle scissors.
That's some resourcefulness.

I think I was in bed with a food coma at 9PM.
I can imagine... hopefully you got a good night's sleep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter