The "I've Waited Forever to Go Solo" Mom's Leaving Everyone Behind Trip! Updt 3/11

:woohoo:
I'm psyched for you! And I'm taking notes for my own solo trip one day - so make sure to give us all the little details! This will be fun!! :yay:

Its great that you're going solo!

I'm looking forward to some solo trips at some point!
Can't wait to hear about yours.

:surfweb: I'm here.
Thanks for coming along!

Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: I'm excited for you! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear more. popcorn::
Thanks! You have a solo trip coming up this fall don't you? Where's your pre trippie, hint hint?

Party on, Allyson! You totally have this trip coming to you and I'm so glad you decided to go ahead and take it! I know have a whole list of "someday" restaurants - I can't wait to read YOUR solo-trip wishlist. :)
Do share your list! I have my ADRs but am not feeling set with them!

Yay!! I'm here too!!

So glad you decided to do the Solo trip!! Can't wait to hear about all the adventures you've got planned!

Lucky thing... you've got 2 trips coming up now!!
I know, I am feeling like a lucky girl lately!

I'll be woo-hooing right along with you as I live vicariously through your solo trip!
Thanks for coming over!

Looks fun ...Im in ....We have a Oct Trip to DL/DCA (planning in progress)
Welcome!

A SOLO TRIP

LUCKY LADY!!!!

I'm in!!
Glad you are here!

:wave2: am here!!!
Hi! Thanks for posting!

Whoah! Oh you are going to have so much fun! :cool1: It will be so interesting to read your PTR. It's all about what YOU want to do! :woohoo: Congrats!!
Yes I can't wait to see the things *I* want and be completely selfish for a few days!

I'm here!
Hey Melissa!

I know exactly what you mean about a Disney fire! My Disney fire at this point is a raging inferno! ;)
ROFL! Nothing to quench it but a trip! You are less than 3 weeks away now, woo hoo!

I am so in! I just booked my first solo time in WDW too! I am going for 3 days alone, meeting up with a friend after that. I'm excited to hear all about your planning!
Good for you! When are you going solo?

I'm here and I'm so happy for you!!

:yay: :yay: :yay:
So glad you are here! And I wish our trips overlapped, I really would love to have met you in person!

That's awesome Allyson! :cool1:
Thanks for coming along!

I thought I posted already! I guess not:confused3 Anyway, how EXCITING!! I am super envious! I will be following along VERY closely as I too one day would like to attempt a solo trip!:surfweb:
Yes a new movement of Moms Going Solo! I like it!

I'm here :surfweb: , I still need to check out your other TR's..

That is soo cool to go by yourself, but I am a chicken when it comes to traveling I do not like going places by myself.. (I know what is wrong with me :confused3 )So in my book you are a brave women! but you will have soo much fun and peace:lovestruc

ps.. I think we are close in age and I went to Hs in south Florida and had lots of friends go to USF!!!
As an only child I don't mind being alone at all, in fact I kind of need to have downtime alone to recharge. However I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't a bit nervous about this! LOL! I'm excited to prove to myself I can do it! GO BULLS!

:woohoo:
I'm psyched for you! And I'm taking notes for my own solo trip one day - so make sure to give us all the little details! This will be fun!! :yay:
I will surely do that! I still can't believe I am really doing this!

Its great that you're going solo!

I'm looking forward to some solo trips at some point!
Can't wait to hear about yours.
Thanks! Glad you are along for the ride!

Allyson

As an only child I don't mind being alone at all, in fact I kind of need to have downtime alone to recharge. However I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't a bit nervous about this! LOL! I'm excited to prove to myself I can do it! GO BULLS!

It is going to be so much fun for you. You survived a trip with your kids pretty much on your own - this is going to be a breeze!

So my list of restaurants that I would love to try if only I could with my picky eater vegetarian kids:

1. Jiko - OK, we could take them here, but just haven't.
2. San Angel Inn (My kids don't love Mexican food)
3. California Grill
4. Victoria and Albert's (though this might be better with a husband than alone)

And there's one that used to be on the list until I got to go without them one time:

5. Fresh

For what it's worth, activity-wise I'd also go back to the Adventurer's Club, hear that piano player at PORS and take a backstage tour, and, like you, catch a set or two or three of Off Kilter without interruption. I might even get there early and sit on one of the seats! :)

So let's see, why do I want to do this trip alone?:confused3

Well really I want to be able to see all the things that I never get to see when I am on a trip with the family. They don't want to go through the Animator's Studio 3 times. They don't want to sit and watch a band or a street performer. They don't want to poke around a shop. They don't want to look over all the nooks and crannies of the World Showcase. They would love to stay up late for fireworks and Fantasmic but alas, they can't, they are usually too tired and crash early. They don't want to explore Main Street or ride The Carousel of Progress or visit One Man's Dream. And then there are things that I have just never gotton around to. I have never gone through the Rose Garden or even seen the statue of Roy and Minnie up close. I haven't been in The Hall of Presidents since I was a kid and I've never seen The American Experience. I have never taken a tour.

So those are some of the reasons I want to go alone. I love Disney. I think about it everyday at some point and one reason I love the DIS so much is that people here "get" that. It is nice to be understood. :lovestruc So I really do want to go and do those things that just never happen when I'm with the family. I want to as Nike would say "Just Do It".

But what do people think about someone, especially a Mom, going alone? Well here on the DIS it is understood and accepted and people seem happy for you. I have one friend I have told who thinks it is great. She is excited for me because she knows how much I love Disney and how long I've wanted to do something like this. Other friends I think believe I have fallen off my rocker.:laughing: They don't get:
A. why I want to go alone
B. how I can go without my kids
C. how can I go when I just went.
All valid questions I suppose.

My kids just went in March and were there in December 2006. They'll be there again in the next year or two. They are not Disney deprived by any means. I think they are pretty Disney Blessed actually.:cloud9: And I have never been one of those Mothers who can't be away from her kids. It just isn't me. I love, and need, some downtime. I am the Mom who danced a jig the day her kids each started school. Remember that Staples commercial for the first day of school where they show the parents dancing to the song "Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"? That is me. :banana: So I actually enjoy taking a little time away. I think, for me, it helps me rejuvenate and be a better Mom.

My kids actually do not yet know I am going for sure. They know I am thinking of it and aside from teasing about wanting to come they are actually quite cool with it. I'll tell them when it gets closer. Grumpy is on vacation the last 2 weeks of August every year (he works for a boarding school and is off 8+ weeks a year) so they'll get some serious Dad time which will be a lot of fun for them. They'll probably have more fun with me gone, playing Guitar Hero all day, wearing mismatched clothes, going swimming in the lake and having nachos for dinner and ice cream for breakfast. Got to love when Dad's in charge. :woohoo:

So wanting to see what I want, needing a little guilt free Mom time, why else go? Well kind of to prove to myself I can. I am an only child so being alone is natural. I grew up spending a lot of time alone so it doesn't bother me. I have gone to movies alone and actually prefer shopping by myself. But this is bigger that that. Flying alone, well I've done that so that is no big deal. But spending 5 days in Disney alone, a bit different. I want to show myself I CAN do this. I CAN be independant and enjoy my own company. I CAN eat dinner at a Table Service restaurant alone. You know, let me pull up my psychoanalyst chair here, I never lived alone in college. I was always in a dorm, never an apartment out on my own. After college I moved back in with my parents and lived there till I moved out when I got married 3 years later. So a part of me just wants to try and do something by myself. Does that make any sense? I'm turning 39 this year, maybe this is my mid life crisis I don't know.

Well I've gone on long enough tonight. I just figured I'd give a little deeper insight into why I am taking this trip.

Next up I'll tell you about the day that made the dream of going alone an actual reality! It involves Lady Luck!

Allyson :surfweb:

It is going to be so much fun for you. You survived a trip with your kids pretty much on your own - this is going to be a breeze!

So my list of restaurants that I would love to try if only I could with my picky eater vegetarian kids:

1. Jiko - OK, we could take them here, but just haven't.
2. San Angel Inn (My kids don't love Mexican food)
3. California Grill
4. Victoria and Albert's (though this might be better with a husband than alone)

And there's one that used to be on the list until I got to go without them one time:

5. Fresh

For what it's worth, activity-wise I'd also go back to the Adventurer's Club, hear that piano player at PORS and take a backstage tour, and, like you, catch a set or two or three of Off Kilter without interruption. I might even get there early and sit on one of the seats! :)

I was at Cali Grill this past trip and it was fantastic! V&A I think I would love to try but with Grumpy. It seems romantic and I know it is long. I think it would be pushing it to do that one alone. I don't know if I could sit there for 3+ hours and they probably wouldn't appreciate me whipping out a book to read! LOL!

Now Jiko there is one I have not tried. And I heard some nice things about it. Hmmmmmm.

Fresh, is that at the Dolphin or Swan? I am not familiar with it.

San Angel Inn, ding ding ding. I actually have an ADR there right now. I'm a bit torn on it though. I love Mexican food but I wonder if it is too dark to be there alone. I know the tables are close together and it is dark and I'm afraid I'll feel odd being there alone. I don't know. I thought maybe I should find places that are better lit in case I do want to read or journal. Decisions, decisions!

And I have already made arrangements for one of your activities too! More on that soon!

Allyson

I love Pop! I tried to get in there this trip but it was booked. I arrive Aug 23, just missing you!

Allyson

You are going for free dining then? I am HOPING that going a few days before will be worth it. I'll still be in disney at POR from the 21-25th tho!

My kids just went in March and were there in December 2006. They'll be there again in the next year or two. They are not Disney deprived by any means. I think they are pretty Disney Blessed actually.:cloud9: And I have never been one of those Mothers who can't be away from her kids. It just isn't me. I love, and need, some downtime. I am the Mom who danced a jig the day her kids each started school. Remember that Staples commercial for the first day of school where they show the parents dancing to the song "Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"? That is me. :banana: So I actually enjoy taking a little time away. I think, for me, it helps me rejuvenate and be a better Mom.

Yes, it sounds like the kids have had their time and certainly will again. And I'm with you on the Staples commercial. I'm also the mom who was blissfully happy when DS7 started first grade this year, and I cannot wait until DS5 starts first grade next year. Not that I don't love being with my kids - but we need our time apart. I need my alone time - therefore I am still up when everyone else has gone to bed. You're going for all the right reasons and you're going to have a blast! :woohoo:

I noticed a forum on the dis boards devoted to solo travelers you may want to take a look at... in case some of your dis friends may be going at the same time to share a meal or ride if a somepoint you dont want to be totally solo.

You go girl!!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

You will have a blast at the parks by yourself.. I was wondering if your kids knew yet, but sounds like they have an idea.

I do think our families might be related:laughing:

Although it would be werid at first to sit and a table service restaurant, it would be soo awsome to actually be able to ENJOY a meal and not have to order for anyone,cut up someone's food, or have to take someone to the potty!!

Like I said you go girl!!!:cheer2: :cheer2:

So glad you are here! And I wish our trips overlapped, I really would love to have met you in person!

Allyson

Yes, it is too bad our trips don't overlap. I've always wanted to meet a fellow DISer, and I feel like we already know each other! :goodvibes

Can't wait to read more!

:drinking1 mmmmmmmm....that dole whip sure looks yummy! we missed out on them last trip, but it's on my "to-do" list for this trip!

Allyson, I'm loving the PTR. I know that you'll have a blast!! I can't wait to hear all the plans!

P.S. I started a PTR as well. It's in my siggie.

I love that Staples Commercial!

I get one hour alone in the morning between my youngest leaving for school and the time I leave for work. That hour is wonderful!

Family trips are so magical seeing things with the kids, but they are also a balance between who wants to see/ride what and who is/is not tired. There are always things I want to do that we don't have time for. :sad2:

I've already told my kids someday I'm going without them during the flower & garden festival. They have been to gardens with me, so I think they will be relieved not to be with me on a garden trip. :laughing:

I would definately do one of the tours too!

Oh you are sooo going to love this trip! I had two solo trips 6 & 7 years ago. The first one was when i was going to Orlando for a conference, so I asked my boss if i could book my flight down a few days earlier and then meet up with everyone else when they came down. She didn't have a problem with that, so my airfare was "free", I booked a few nights at Port Orleans (got a great rate there) and bought an annual pass (my family already had a trip planned for later in the year). It was great - I got up when I wanted to went where I wanted to, did what I wanted to, ate what and when I wanted to.......you get the picture it was all about ME! :cool1: That fall we went on our family vacation and I appreciated it even more because I had already gotten my way on the last trip so I could let them pick more. Then the following spring rolled around and I called my hubby at work one day and told him I really needed to go back down before my pass expired - he said "go ahead". Now, I knew he was kidding, and he knew he was kidding, but he DID say "go ahead" and since I was already dealing with the travel agent for that years conference (I wasn't going on it - just booking it for those that were) I asked her to look into some flights to Orlando. I called hubby back later and told him what the prices were and he asked who was going - I told him well he said "I" could go. :confused3 AGain we both thought we were teasing. Until he came home that night with much better airline prices than the travel agent had given me ..... So I booked another trip. This time I stayed at the All Stars, and had to pay for my own flight, and did I tell you .....it was over Mother's Day week-end :laughing: Another great trip. I went to the Millionaire game and made it in the hot seat :banana: when the host asked me who I was with I told him I was there alone - I had run away for Mother's Day.....I got a round of applause. I think there were a lot of mom's in the audience that day with hot, tired, whiney, kids who were wishing they were me that day! :rolleyes1
Circumstances haven't worked out for me to do it again recently, but I would sure do another solo trip. Although now that my kids are older we will be doing non-kid trips before too long anyway so this time I am really looking forward to our August trip which could very well be the last time all of us go together. :grouphug:

Here is a Dole Whip to drench those raging fires....lol
dl195.jpg

Oh, what I wouldn't do for one of those right now???

Allyson,
I think your reasoning for a solo trip is top notch! :thumbsup2 I am a huge proponent of alone time for moms! We need it and deserve it!

You are going for free dining then? I am HOPING that going a few days before will be worth it. I'll still be in disney at POR from the 21-25th tho!
Yes I am! I have a room only the first night and Free Dining kicks in the next day.

Yes, it sounds like the kids have had their time and certainly will again. And I'm with you on the Staples commercial. I'm also the mom who was blissfully happy when DS7 started first grade this year, and I cannot wait until DS5 starts first grade next year. Not that I don't love being with my kids - but we need our time apart. I need my alone time - therefore I am still up when everyone else has gone to bed. You're going for all the right reasons and you're going to have a blast! :woohoo:
Same here, I am rarely in bed before 11:30pm!

Here is a Dole Whip to drench those raging fires....lol
dl195.jpg

I noticed a forum on the dis boards devoted to solo travelers you may want to take a look at... in case some of your dis friends may be going at the same time to share a meal or ride if a somepoint you dont want to alone in the world. http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54
Thanks for the Dole Whip! Would I ever love one right about now! And thanks for the tip on the Solo board, I have checked it out!

You go girl!!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

You will have a blast at the parks by yourself.. I was wondering if your kids knew yet, but sounds like they have an idea.

I do think our families might be related:laughing:

Although it would be werid at first to sit and a table service restaurant, it would be soo awsome to actually be able to ENJOY a meal and not have to order for anyone,cut up someone's food, or have to take someone to the potty!!

Like I said you go girl!!!:cheer2: :cheer2:
Thanks and yes I am excited about that! Mostly about not having to run to the bathroom constantly. They never seem to synchronize their bladders! LOL!

Yes, it is too bad our trips don't overlap. I've always wanted to meet a fellow DISer, and I feel like we already know each other! :goodvibes

Can't wait to read more!
I know, me too!

:drinking1 mmmmmmmm....that dole whip sure looks yummy! we missed out on them last trip, but it's on my "to-do" list for this trip!

Allyson, I'm loving the PTR. I know that you'll have a blast!! I can't wait to hear all the plans!

P.S. I started a PTR as well. It's in my siggie.
I wish we were able to meet up too. Just missing you by a few weeks! Drat!

I love that Staples Commercial!

I get one hour alone in the morning between my youngest leaving for school and the time I leave for work. That hour is wonderful!

Family trips are so magical seeing things with the kids, but they are also a balance between who wants to see/ride what and who is/is not tired. There are always things I want to do that we don't have time for. :sad2:

I've already told my kids someday I'm going without them during the flower & garden festival. They have been to gardens with me, so I think they will be relieved not to be with me on a garden trip. :laughing:

I would definately do one of the tours too!
Yes going during F&G would be so nice! I hope you do take that trip someday! I really am a fan of Moms taking a little time out for themselves once in a while! I say the same thing about married couples making time for date nights. SOOOOO important in my book. You need to nurture things like that, be it your marriage or just your own well being, and it takes a little time to do so.

Oh you are sooo going to love this trip! I had two solo trips 6 & 7 years ago. The first one was when i was going to Orlando for a conference, so I asked my boss if i could book my flight down a few days earlier and then meet up with everyone else when they came down. She didn't have a problem with that, so my airfare was "free", I booked a few nights at Port Orleans (got a great rate there) and bought an annual pass (my family already had a trip planned for later in the year). It was great - I got up when I wanted to went where I wanted to, did what I wanted to, ate what and when I wanted to.......you get the picture it was all about ME! :cool1: That fall we went on our family vacation and I appreciated it even more because I had already gotten my way on the last trip so I could let them pick more. Then the following spring rolled around and I called my hubby at work one day and told him I really needed to go back down before my pass expired - he said "go ahead". Now, I knew he was kidding, and he knew he was kidding, but he DID say "go ahead" and since I was already dealing with the travel agent for that years conference (I wasn't going on it - just booking it for those that were) I asked her to look into some flights to Orlando. I called hubby back later and told him what the prices were and he asked who was going - I told him well he said "I" could go. :confused3 AGain we both thought we were teasing. Until he came home that night with much better airline prices than the travel agent had given me ..... So I booked another trip. This time I stayed at the All Stars, and had to pay for my own flight, and did I tell you .....it was over Mother's Day week-end :laughing: Another great trip. I went to the Millionaire game and made it in the hot seat :banana: when the host asked me who I was with I told him I was there alone - I had run away for Mother's Day.....I got a round of applause. I think there were a lot of mom's in the audience that day with hot, tired, whiney, kids who were wishing they were me that day! :rolleyes1
Circumstances haven't worked out for me to do it again recently, but I would sure do another solo trip. Although now that my kids are older we will be doing non-kid trips before too long anyway so this time I am really looking forward to our August trip which could very well be the last time all of us go together. :grouphug:
Thank you for sharing that story! I love reading about other Moms who have taken off and gone alone. I love your story of being in the Hot Seat! Too funny!

Oh, what I wouldn't do for one of those right now???

Allyson,
I think your reasoning for a solo trip is top notch! :thumbsup2 I am a huge proponent of alone time for moms! We need it and deserve it!
You are so right!

Allyson :)

So if Lady Luck had not smiled on me a few weeks back this pre trippie would not even exist. You see Grumpy and I have a pretty special trip coming up in January. We are running the Half with our friends and staying at CSR for 3 nights and then we are flying to the Bahamas and staying at Sandals in Nassau for 4 nights. No children, just us and our best friends.:banana: It is going to be so much fun. So much fun. Had to say it twice. So all our extra dinero is working off this trip right now. There is no way I'd just decide to make my solo dream come true at this point in time. Unless I won me some money or something.

So let me take you back a few weeks...If you read my last TR you know Grammy and Papa. Well Grammy wanted to go to the casino with me. I go maybe once or twice a year. Usually once with Grumpy and once with Grammy. So I drive to her house to pick her up and Papa comes along to. We get to the casino and first go to this nice Irish pub they have for lunch. I had outstanding Fish and Chips. Delish.

Then it is off to the slot machines. We split up with Papa going to another floor and Grammy and I staying in the same general area. So I had brought a whopping $60 with me. I am not a big gambler and as much as I enjoy playing the slot machines (they are so fun and the bells and whistles, well it just sucks me right in) I really don't like losing my money. So I was comfortable with losing $60 so that is what I allowed myself to bring. I played a while, won a little, lost a little. Grammy and I reunited and started off to a different section. At this point I had $25 left. She found a machine so I grabbed the one next to her. It wasn't even a super cute one. If you visit the casino you know what I mean, some are just so cute with different animals like dancing pigs or fish:fish: or even Sea Monkeys in these cute animations. Anyway this was like based on the Trojan War with men in armor, Helen of Troy and the Trojan Horse. It wasn't super cute and I just figured I'd play it since it was next to my Mom. So it is a 2 cent machine. Yes 2 cents. I told you I wasn't a high roller. But I was playing 40 lines at 2 credits a line (for you gambling types who understand that). Okay fast forward.....

If you don't know on most of these machines if you get the right combo of little pictures you get some free spins, 10 free spins on this machine. So it happened and I got my 10 free spins. Basically the machine spins 10 times but it costs you nothing and you win what comes up. Well in those free spins I won more free spins. And more free spins. And more free spins. I sat there for a very long time in awe as I racked up 110 free spins. It just kept spinning and winning and winning and spinning. I was giddy and giggling out loud :jumping3: and my Mom couldn't believe it and the lady next to me stopped to just watch and it really was so fun. I cashed out at the end with $660. Then I played with $60 of that on another machine and turned it into $125. I lost a little but when I exited the building that day my $60 had turned into $720.

So that is how this solo trip came to be. $720 pretty much pays for a 5 day solo trip at a value with airfare and tickets and oh yeah, free dining! I have to kick in a little extra but the bulk of it all is covered.

I hemmed and I hawed and I spent the money a thousand different ways in my head but ultimately I decided to go for it! I emailed my TA and she got me quotes and the night I booked I had the email to her to do it sitting on my computer for literally HOURS before I hit send and made it official. But official it is.

So that my friends is the story of how Lady Luck :wizard: gave me the nudge to book this and just do it.

What is that? Where am I staying? How am I getting there? Details huh? You got it, next installment!

Allyson :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter