The insidious pull of The DIS & The DIS Unplugged: A tale of addiction

wehavesix

DIS Veteran
DOM, DOM, DOM (imagine dramatic music here):rolleyes1

I first joined The DIS forums at the suggestion of my sister, the first Disney nut of the family. She's been on several trips and cruises and finally things came together for my family to join hers on a cruise. Of course, since we were going to be in the area for the cruise, we might as well go to the parks too. Right? So began the slippery slide into my DIS and WDW addiction.

It began innocently enough. I joined the forum and started reading. Pretty soon, I was making lists, copying and pasting entire posts and sometimes entire threads into documents so I could reference them later. My need for Disney information began to grow and soon just lurking wasn't enough. I began asking questions and exchanging ideas on various forums. I found I couldn't stay away from the computer. I was strangely compelled to join conversations with strangers, exchanging tips and ideas, even parenting advice! I began staying up until all hours of the night hanging out with all the other DIS addicts.

Oh, I justified it. I was getting organized. I was learning how to save money on our trip. I was picking up tips to make our first trip more fun. On and on the excuses went. Then we went on our trip in May. All the tips worked! I was SO PREPARED! The DIS was my FRIEND! Everything went so well and we had such a good time we bought into DVC so we could do it again! The high was too great to resist.

Then we came home and I thought I would put The DIS aside for awhile. NOT! I couldn't stay away. I had to log on. I have to answer questions based on our one little trip to the World. I must add my 2 cents about using late fastpasses and give my opinion of the CS meals we had in each park. I can't stay away! Now I'm posting on the community board too! What next?

Then my final descent came on Mother's Day when my dh and children presented me with my first I-Pod. At first I saw it as just another way to listen to music but soon I discovered the REAL purpose of this small piece of technology: PODCASTS!! Now I MUST listen to The DIS Unplugged every week. It's a fix, an addiction I must feed no matter what! The DIS forums, the website, and the podcasts have become as important to me as...as...SLEEP! Yeah, that's it. Sleep.

What are you people doing to me? Is this simple addiction or a cult or mind control or what?

How many days until the next podcast is done?:rotfl:

Your title got me - I completely relate to everything you say except for the podcast. I have no idea what this is and don't own an iPod.

I am addicted enough to the DIS so I don't think I need to add anything else! Quick, let me get off this thread now - LOL!!!:lmao:

DOM, DOM, DOM (imagine dramatic music here):rolleyes1

I first joined The DIS forums at the suggestion of my sister, the first Disney nut of the family. She's been on several trips and cruises and finally things came together for my family to join hers on a cruise. Of course, since we were going to be in the area for the cruise, we might as well go to the parks too. Right? So began the slippery slide into my DIS and WDW addiction.

It began innocently enough. I joined the forum and started reading. Pretty soon, I was making lists, copying and pasting entire posts and sometimes entire threads into documents so I could reference them later. My need for Disney information began to grow and soon just lurking wasn't enough. I began asking questions and exchanging ideas on various forums. I found I couldn't stay away from the computer. I was strangely compelled to join conversations with strangers, exchanging tips and ideas, even parenting advice! I began staying up until all hours of the night hanging out with all the other DIS addicts.

Oh, I justified it. I was getting organized. I was learning how to save money on our trip. I was picking up tips to make our first trip more fun. On and on the excuses went. Then we went on our trip in May. All the tips worked! I was SO PREPARED! The DIS was my FRIEND! Everything went so well and we had such a good time we bought into DVC so we could do it again! The high was too great to resist.

Then we came home and I thought I would put The DIS aside for awhile. NOT! I couldn't stay away. I had to log on. I have to answer questions based on our one little trip to the World. I must add my 2 cents about using late fastpasses and give my opinion of the CS meals we had in each park. I can't stay away! Now I'm posting on the community board too! What next?

Then my final descent came on Mother's Day when my dh and children presented me with my first I-Pod. At first I saw it as just another way to listen to music but soon I discovered the REAL purpose of this small piece of technology: PODCASTS!! Now I MUST listen to The DIS Unplugged every week. It's a fix, an addiction I must feed no matter what! The DIS forums, the website, and the podcasts have become as important to me as...as...SLEEP! Yeah, that's it. Sleep.

What are you people doing to me? Is this simple addiction or a cult or mind control or what?

How many days until the next podcast is done?:rotfl:

I am right there with ya! My husband is sure I've lost it and just can't understand the "addiction".

I was already to deep into the forums and now I also discovered the podcast and can't get enough. I put them on my mp3 player and listen at work.

Your title got me - I completely relate to everything you say except for the podcast. I have no idea what this is and don't own an iPod.

Oooo, you have to listen. You don't need an iPod. Just click the orange button at the top of the page that says Listen Now! You'll be hooked!!!

To the OP, I know what you mean. I am soo addicted.:rotfl2: I am constantly saying "well, my friend said this..." referring to a post I read on the DIS.:laughing: :laughing: I also speak in DIS. For example the other day I said to DH "DH would you take DD to Walmart... ?" Yep, it's sad I call my DH, DH...:crazy: And what's worse, is he doesn't even notice. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I started listening and using the boards on the same day. My dad suggested the podcast and boards for me, and after signing up, I immediately downloaded the podcast. I've been hooked ever since.

Everything you state I can relate too. I became addicted to these boards in 2001 and then a couple of months ago, I realized I could download the podcasts onto my MP3 player and listen away as I jogged. Love it!!! The disboards has not only been a source of entertainment, knowledge and companionship with people as obsessed with WDW as I am, but it has saved me tons of money with all the helpful bits on discounts, etc.

Yes I am right with you!! Totally addicted I love the pod casts and just started listening and can not stop...I am glad I have months of old podcasts to listen too....

My Disney Dream has gone from a night in Cinderella's castle to..........watching a round table discussion and dinner with everyone!!!!!

My Disney Dream has gone from a night in Cinderella's castle to..........watching a round table discussion and dinner with everyone!!!!!

That would be a pretty awesome year of a million dreams win!! I'd definitely take that over a lanyard or dream fastpass! :cutie:

I can relate with everything you are saying and now there is a show that I can listen to also. I got on the boards before our trip to disney and now I am on here all the time. Our computer crashed a few weeks ago and my first thought was not,"oh no the computer needs to be fixed!" No, my first thought was how am I going to get onto the boards! It has helped me to save money and know things that I otherwise would have not known, but I have also made friends and had ideas for things undisney related also. So thank you thank you to all the people that makes these boards possible!:banana: If there was ever a way that I could help, I would in a second.

Looks like I'm in good company!:goodvibes

Geez! Why are Mondays so LOOOOOONG?:confused3 I NEED my podcast!!

Unfortunately I'll miss my Tuesday fix as we'll be on our way to Disneyland Paris for an eleven day trip, so it is all not bad.
I'll have to stay away from hear so that there are no spoilers to what I've still to listen to ;):goodvibes

So here's the problem...it started out as an obsession with the cruise boards. That was bad enough, but manageable. Then came the podcast board. Again, a little more time but still doing okay. Then someone mentioned the food board and, well, since we ARE doing the DDP for our Sept trip I thought, what the heck? Now, I don't have any clean clothes because there isn't time to do the laundry, the kids are hungry because who has time to cook??? when I am trying to plan the meals for SEPTEMBER, and DH ::cop: is considering using his handcuffs on ME to keep me away from The Dis!!! What started out so innocently has turned me OCD!!! And don't get me started on how long Mondays are now!!!
It's just nice to have a support group like you guys - people out there who know what it's like to have this type of problem :rotfl:
~ Stacy

My name is Michele and I am a DISaholic. ;) But if it's wrong, I don't wanna be right! I prefer to think of myself as a discerning connoisseur of fine podcasts. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter