The great debate - DVC - Deluxe - Moderate - Value - or - Off site - how to choose...

Wow....glad all that worked out.

We sometimes stay at a off-site hotel the night before an onsite and we fix the "teenagers wont share a bed" issue with putting my son in with my husband and me with my daughter.

But honestly, I know how people with these large groups do trips. Its hard enough cordinating everything with our family of 6 and likes/dislikes, etc.

Sorry, I know this is a bit old, but I was wondering... What are the cons? We're thinking of renting DVC for our next trip since I've heard people raving about it.

They'll vary a bit from person to person but here are a few....

1. DVC rentals are in demand and there are usually (Covid has been strange) more people who want to rent than members who aren't using their points. You may not be successful, especially if you have your heart set on BCV over Food and Wine - even if you are willing to commit almost a year out. The farther out you commit and the more flexible you are willing to be (Resort X or Y. This week OR that week), the more success you will have.

2. DVC resorts - depending on the resort and time of year, can book quickly. Do not plan on getting any bargain options (like BWV Standard View) those reservations are a pain to get. Do make arrangements so that your member can call at or shortly after 11 months for any high demand time or room.

This also means that short notice rentals are difficult. Sometimes people have rooms that they aren't going to be able to use themselves that they will rent out. But deciding today that you want to be at WDW in October and you want a DVC rental for exactly the 17 - 20th....that isn't likely to be successful​

3. Payment is often due up front, and this is the important part, is usually non-refundable. Since owners are people, different owners and different brokers may have different policies or try different things, but go into this assuming that its non-refundable - and moreover, that it won't be possible to add two days, or switch resorts, or move your reservation by a week. Once you book, assume its set. Buy travel insurance.

4. Back when mousekeeping was normal, DVC didn't get it regularly. If you want your bed made and towels refreshed every day, timeshare living may not be for you.

5. A DVC studio at WDW is a queen bed and a pullout or murphy bed. Except at OKW where there are two queen beds. There are no other configurations. No two bed rooms (except OKW), no king beds (unless you move to a one bedroom). Some, but not all, units have a small pull down bed as well. I haven't used it, but I understand you wouldn't want to put a full person on it. Its appropriate for tweens (and having it down is going to make the room small). DVC room occupancies are firm. There are rooms that sleep five with only sleeping surfaces for four, but they won't provide a rollaway or blow up mattress, you'll have to bring something so the six year old can camp out on the floor.

6. Likewise at DVC, the only studios that connect are at the Poly.

7. DVC checkin is AFTER 4. While I've been lucky in always getting my room earlier than 4, and often by 1 or 2, it isn't rare to not get into your room until 5pm. Arrive at the resort at 11am with little kids who need a nap - have a backup plan, its unlikely you will be in your room for several hours.

8. DVC checkout is BEFORE 11. There are no late checkouts (the rare exception has been made for sick kids). If your flight doesn't leave until 6, and you are planning a resort pool day, you'll be using the resort pool or fitness center for changing.

9. DVC is a timeshare. As such room refreshing (i.e. new paint and new carpet) take precious rooms from inventory and cost member dues. Refreshes aren't as frequent as on the hotel side and the rooms suffer from high occupancy. They can be a little shabby.

10. Payment - or at least a good portion of it - is usually due up front. Any remainder is going to be due fairly far out.

11. Finally, while it is VERY RARE, there is a person at the other end of the reservation that has control over the reservation. If they are dishonest, they can take your money and cancel the reservation or sell it to someone else and change the names. Disney will do NOTHING for you. If they screw up and don't or can't pay their dues bill, Disney will cancel the reservation. Disney will do nothing for you. Both have happened. It is rare, but it is worth noting. Going through a broker will mean you get your money back, but that doesn't mean you'll have a reservation on arrival - and if its a reservation that was difficult to secure, then you won't be able to get the same room type - depending on when the rug got pulled out, you may have to get a hotel room through CRO (or Expedia).

Last edited:
Sorry, I know this is a bit old, but I was wondering... What are the cons? We're thinking of renting DVC for our next trip since I've heard people raving about it.

The biggest con is that you usually can't cancel or move the reservation without losing a lot of money. I believe most places need a 25% or 50% non-refundable deposit when you book.

The other con is than availability gets low if you're booking less than 7 months out. That's when DVC owners are allowed to book at any resort and inventory gets low.

The last con is that it's still usually more expensive than booking a value room or renting something off-site. You can get a 3 to 4 bedroom house with it's own pool off-site for the price of renting a 1 bedroom DVC which only sleeps 5 people.

I am a DVC owner, so I think the pros outweigh the cons by a wide margin, but I also acknowledge that it isn't the cheapest way to see Disney and that the largest room you can get sleeps 12, which might not be enough for everyone.

I rent out some of my DVC points and People are always trying to compare DVC rental the cost of a value resort….

They do not compare. The value resort will always be less unless you get lucky enough to find distressed points or a res that someone needs to cancel with 30 days.

DVC Rental tends to run slightly higher than the value resorts.
DVC rentals also tend to have a no cancelation policy…

other than that a DVC out classes value in ever metric.

if you are the type that only sleep in the room, and want to stay in the 20 x 12 storage unit at a value resort. Im not going to change your mind

if you want to relax and enjoy your vacation, i would not even consider a value resort.

I rent out some of my DVC points and People are always trying to compare DVC rental the cost of a value resort….

They do not compare. The value resort will always be less unless you get lucky enough to find distressed points or a res that someone needs to cancel with 30 days.

DVC Rental tends to run slightly higher than the value resorts.
DVC rentals also tend to have a no cancelation policy…

other than that a DVC out classes value in ever metric.

if you are the type that only sleep in the room, and want to stay in the 20 x 12 storage unit at a value resort. Im not going to change your mind

if you want to relax and enjoy your vacation, i would not even consider a value resort.

The only way DVC gets close to value is if you buy cheap resale points and use them for studios. Renting will usually be less than a standard room, but it depends on the season and availability.

The big savings come when you want the larger rooms, since Disney seems to charge a premium to book those with cash.

The big savings come when you want the larger rooms, since Disney seems to charge a premium to book those with cash.
It goes back-and-forth by room size... it's very strange. Studios and 2 bedrooms get the biggest "discount" booking with points, while 1 bedrooms and all of the big special units (bungalows, treehouses, cabins) are terrible point values.

My husband, I and our children had always stayed on property while they were young but now that it's just my DH and I (who lost her job this year) we will be staying off property! we love the POFQ for the peace and quiet but it's just out of our budget range this year.:( I also LOVE AKL and the Poly but maybe some time in our future. We are staying at a pretty decent hotel outside of Disney and to tell you the truth...I'm pretty darn excited! just 22 days until our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter