The Final Frontier (An Alaska Trip Report - UPDATED 4/25)

The extra digit isn't very useful. I really need another arm.
Nah. 3 is plenty.
I don't know if I could handle that. I like being connected to civilization, or at least able to travel easily.
It did take a bit of getting used to, but... after a while you forget about it.
It really is massive. I think the total area was equal to twice the size of Texas, which maybe seems a bit off given the map but not terribly so. I saw this map quite a bit:

U.S.+History+Wall+Maps+-+U.S.+Expansion+%26+Alaska+Purchase.jpg
::yes::
This is the one I came up with:
The bacon was a pleasant surprise too, nice and thick.
Oh right! I was going to comment on that, then forgot. I noticed how thick it was and yes... much thicker than "typical" restaurant fare.
A 3 hour tour?

I did reference that in the previous chapter, you know...
Had to keep it going.
Alison broke it down, saying it was basically $500/person for flights, lodging and the boat. It sounds better that way.
True. But more dramatic, the other way.
Better than puffin the magic dragon, I assume.
But better than...
I didn't research it heavily, because it's not possible at the moment with the family. But I would assume you need permits for the backcountry.
Part of the fun of these parks is getting away from people or going to places that others rarely set foot. I can definitely see the appeal.
I was running out of adjectives.
I believe that!
I could see the cookies behind the counter. Thought about stealing some. But I'm too much of a rule-follower.
Dude. Cookies. Break the rules!
It's pretty incredible to see them from the air and how they stretch for so many miles. Forces of nature that we can't really comprehend. They literally shape the mountains.
I'm kind of amazed we all got on the plane with relatively little delay.
I'm not. I bet they're used to that.
::yes:: Still much easier adjusting when traveling west, though. I hate coming back east.
Interesting. There is an advantage to living smack dab in the middle.
Literally. This is about 15 minutes outside Winnipeg:
Very different. My body really didn't know what to do with itself. I guess...I try to sleep now?
:)
After a while, you don't really notice it that much. Actually, it was the reverse that I noticed more.
December 21st sunrise 9:08, sunset 3:22pm.

Fran will drive miles out of our way to get a better price on an item that is less than $5. :laughing:

:rotfl2:And spends over $5 of gas in the process, right?

We now fly Southwest exclusively 1) because of their "person of size policy". That way it makes up for not flying First Class on points anymore. Although we don't get the free alcohol and meals on Southwest. I can live with that. 2) We have companion status and I am her companion so any plane she gets on, I can ride for free. It expires at the end of the year, but I've projected our spending and we should have companion status for 2022 by November at the latest.

That makes a lot of sense. If you can fly for free (and get free bags) why do anything else?

I can see that with six tickets. With two tickets and one that gets refunded after the flight, the free bags probably seal the deal, not to mention the free ticket for me!

I imagine it will change when we are paying for fewer people. It'll change all of the economics again.

There were some affordable flighseeing excursions out of Juneau, cause I took one, but we didn't see Glacier Bay.

That's the one activity I wish we could have done, but even the cheapest flightseeing excursions I could find were something like $500-600 per person. Unless we just wanted an hour over the harbor or something, which didn't seem worth it.

Smart! I know when we got up all close and personal to the glacier it was freakin' cold!

::yes:: Even with all that gear, I was still chilly!

That looks pretty much like the one we had on our Alaskan Cruise. There was a special excursion where you could get on a smaller vessel that would go up closer to the glacier and take you into smaller inlets in Endicott Arm. It looks like it is the same company as well.

Yeah, that looks almost identical to ours.

That's a lot of money for a 24 hour period, but when you break it down to $500pp that could be what the private plane from Juneau might have cost for an hour or two. You got and entire experience where you were out there with the wind blowing in your face and hair. Plus Drew got his badge!

It sounds a lot better when you break it down that way! I like your version.

Our boat was the same way, when I was looking for the picture, I found where I had taken pics of the folks coming down from the third level so we could get going again.

:laughing: It's hard to turn away from these views.

I started reading this update from my phone, and it was when I read this that I put it down and decided to finish on the computer. I couldn't even tell any difference in the pictures on the phone nor could I tell what the puffin was, so I waited until later to actually check it out.

I rarely look at the boards on my phone. It's just hard to read and/or comment there.

So beautiful!

Not until I looked from the computer!

Better late than never!

You forgot about the Puffin.

And here I thought no one was impressed.

I remember when we were on the cruise ship. We had booked the 2nd small vessel excursion and from the cruise ship I could see that boat in front of the glacier and it looked like a toy. When our turn came it was amazing just how small we were in comparison to the glacier.

It's really incomprehensible how massive these glaciers are. Sad that so many of them are receding.

He looks so proud!

As well he should be!

Ugh. I can't imagine. And you probably weren't all that rested up.

Not really. Thankfully, it had already been a great, memorable day at that point.

So did you spend any time in Juneau? I think I would like to spend time there if we ever went back to Alaska.

No...we never left the airport there. I did spot Mendenhall Glacier when we were taking off, though.

Breakfa er....dinner of Champions!

You could do worse. I find it hard to turn down a breakfast sandwich, actually.

Ugh, I don't remember it being that light that late, but we were a month later. I think you guys were there for the Summer Solstice right?

Pretty close. June 21-22 is the longest day of the year, and we landed in Anchorage on June 30.

At least you had that going for you. Which is nice.

Excellent use of the Caddyshack reference! :thumbsup2

I teach middle school math, and I'm reasonably certain that your calculations are correct.

Oh, thank goodness. I don't want to give false info here.

I've always assumed that if I ever made it to Alaska myself, it would be on a cruise, but pictures like this one are making me second guess myself. It must have been awfully nice to be able to devote so much time to such a beautiful place and to not have to worry about the scheduling limitations inherent in cruising.

Well, if you were on a cruise that went into Glacier Bay, you would certainly get to see the same scenery (as long as the weather held out for you). But I believe the cruise ships spend about four hours in the bay, so we got twice that time. And I really did appreciate the extra time spent there. Personally, I like being in charge of the itinerary instead of depending on the cruise line.

Nah. 3 is plenty.

Not with all of my kids running around.

It did take a bit of getting used to, but... after a while you forget about it.

Maybe I'm too wedded to my modern conveniences. Although COVID has kind of been breaking me of that.

This is the one I came up with:

Ok. So the other one wasn't far off.

Oh right! I was going to comment on that, then forgot. I noticed how thick it was and yes... much thicker than "typical" restaurant fare.

It's always appreciated when they don't skimp on the bacon.

Had to keep it going.

Movie and TV references are also always appreciated.

True. But more dramatic, the other way.

That's the version I give my kids. Look at all the sacrifices I made for you!

But better than...

I'm scared now.

Dude. Cookies. Break the rules!

I really should have. I don't know what happened there.

I'm not. I bet they're used to that.

Could be. I was really surprised at the number of passengers. I didn't think it would be anywhere near a full flight.

Interesting. There is an advantage to living smack dab in the middle.
Literally. This is about 15 minutes outside Winnipeg:

I'm sure it's a lot easier when the adjustment is only 1 or 2 hours either way.

After a while, you don't really notice it that much. Actually, it was the reverse that I noticed more.
December 21st sunrise 9:08, sunset 3:22pm.

We talked about that. I think the winters would just about drive us insane. I always have more energy with the longer days in the summer. Those endless nights...those would be very hard to get used to.

That's the one activity I wish we could have done, but even the cheapest flightseeing excursions I could find were something like $500-600 per person. Unless we just wanted an hour over the harbor or something, which didn't seem worth it.

Interesting. Mine was like $150. I wonder if that was the cruise ship special.

I rarely look at the boards on my phone. It's just hard to read and/or comment there.

That's about the only place I can comment nowadays. While Fran is still asleep and before I get out of bed.

No...we never left the airport there. I did spot Mendenhall Glacier when we were taking off, though.

That's the one I flew over on my Juneau flight!

Not with all of my kids running around.
Valid point.
Ok. So the other one wasn't far off.
I'd say yours was more accurate.
It's always appreciated when they don't skimp on the bacon.
That's the version I give my kids. Look at all the sacrifices I made for you!
Ya gotta make 'em feel guilty so they don't put you in a home later.
I'm scared now.
You don't know Piff the Magic Dragon?
I'm sure it's a lot easier when the adjustment is only 1 or 2 hours either way.
::yes:: (At least I think so. I've never had any issues going to one coast or the other.)
We talked about that. I think the winters would just about drive us insane. I always have more energy with the longer days in the summer. Those endless nights...those would be very hard to get used to.
Very short days... and very long season. It is very hard to get used to. Never did get used to that long winter.

Interesting. Mine was like $150. I wonder if that was the cruise ship special.

I might have misspoken. I think it depends on the length of the flight. The ones I was looking at went to some of the out-of-reach places that aren't accessible by road and were expensive. There are less expensive ones, but they may have lasted an hour or two just for local sightseeing.

That's about the only place I can comment nowadays. While Fran is still asleep and before I get out of bed.

I typically get on during lunch or breaks at work. It's rare that I get on the boards during weekends or evenings.

That's the one I flew over on my Juneau flight!

It's pretty impressive!

I'd say yours was more accurate.

Close enough. I only spent a couple minutes searching the interwebs.

Ya gotta make 'em feel guilty so they don't put you in a home later.

Exactly!

You don't know Piff the Magic Dragon?

I am not familiar with him. And I'm ok with that.

(At least I think so. I've never had any issues going to one coast or the other.)

This was a 4-hour difference for us. Going west, I can usually just stay up late and adjust fairly quickly, but coming back east is always a bear.

Very short days... and very long season. It is very hard to get used to. Never did get used to that long winter.

I'm sure I would find that depressing. I don't like being cold, either.

I do really want to see the Northern Lights someday, though. That's a bucket list item for me.

I am not familiar with him. And I'm ok with that.
Magician/comedian. Pretty good.
This was a 4-hour difference for us. Going west, I can usually just stay up late and adjust fairly quickly, but coming back east is always a bear.
Either way ain’t fun.
I'm sure I would find that depressing. I don't like being cold, either.
Then dude… you’d be in biiiig trouble! :laughing:
I do really want to see the Northern Lights someday, though. That's a bucket list item for me.
I’ve seen some pretty spectacular ones. :)

A "dink" was a hockey term for maneuvering the puck around an opponent. "I dinked around the defenseman and scored with a slapshot."
A 'dink' is a chip shot in football (our one) i.e "he dinked it over the keeper".

"Dinky" in English (our one) means small.

Magician/comedian. Pretty good.

I'll take your word for it!

Then dude… you’d be in biiiig trouble! :laughing:

This is why I don't venture up north very often.

I’ve seen some pretty spectacular ones. :)

Jealous. I imagine it must be jaw-dropping.

A 'dink' is a chip shot in football (our one) i.e "he dinked it over the keeper".

As opposed to a "doink" in football. Or a "double-doink", as it were.

Well, you had to work off the home fries, I guess.

Those otters are so much faster than I am, too. They must not eat home fries.

Chapter 3: The 30% Club

Longtime readers know that any chance we get (i.e. the price is right), we will stay in an Embassy Suites hotel if it’s available during our travels. It’s always nice to have room for the 6 of us and not have to force anyone to sleep on the floor. And they have by far the best free hotel breakfast of anyone.

The Embassy Suites of Anchorage is a very nice one, located just south of downtown and not a terrible drive from the airport. I particularly liked the whale-themed fountain in the lobby.

AM-JKLUORh7ajw4bAJHJdcNUmi5fPSu1_hkxwk1gDOZCYJ4O748HIScQ-NS_muPYyta58EYEUtcAqMVPISE1BMESWnYkQRt1to4bCVNzXgwQOKrsP2JB0sdrxs2Oc9qx1IB9K9DJAZPeJhnwRLCR1f0LW3T8cA=w1170-h877-no

They have a chef who cooks fresh, made-to-order omelettes on the spot while you wait. Mine was filled with ham, bacon, cheese and onions. Everything a growing boy needs. And they deep-fry the potatoes so they’re hard to beat as well. The chef here was a talkative Asian woman who was going on a mile-a-minute about how they had scheduled her for too many shifts…or something. I confess, I could only catch a few random sentences here or there. Mostly I was impressed at how she could keep up the running commentary with 5 dishes all cooking at once.

AM-JKLV338Zm8edyQEM1AoO8-BxjiRbWnTQ4NaFIPVmRDTbbMx5YzayptGIPmLysRLp0KRwkK0CNxkUS05egXlKEbCPWhukd7v1wvWwpmY31oAeLr24Qdyrx06lvja_tUIN2GvJUc2ftLCucHyMj8NNsh3L4dw=w1170-h877-no

With that much fat and cholesterol, it’s really nothing a grown man needs, but this is my vacation, so shut up about my health choices.

Once breakfast was eaten, we started the next leg of our Alaska Road Trip Spectacular with perhaps the most important destination of the entire journey: Walmart.

Gotta get those snacks and lunch supplies, you know.

The original plan for the day was to take it easy. We’d experienced 4 flights in 2 days and were trying to overcome our jet lag, so I figured it would make sense to have a relatively easy day hanging around Anchorage. We could visit a couple of small museums, or do a hike or two in the surrounding state parks. Nothing too earth-shattering, but a chance to rest for a bit after all the traveling.

But then we checked the weather.

It was Thursday, July 1, and the weather forecast for the day was outstanding. Clear skies, a high of 75F (24C), and a 2% chance of precipitation. It might actually be the best weather day of the entire trip.

We were hyper-focused on weather due to our desire to see Denali (formerly Mt. McKinley), the highest mountain in North America at 20,320 ft. (6193m). Naturally, we’d planned for an entire day touring Denali National Park later in the trip, but a look at the forecast for that date was decidedly iffy.

My father had told me about his trip to Alaska several years back, when he had toured Denali National Park and the entire mountain range had been socked in the whole time he was there. Later, on a clear day in Anchorage, he had decided to drive 135 miles up the road to a viewpoint just to be able to see the mountain, figuring it was the only chance he had. As it turned out, he was right.

We ended up deciding to try it as well. After all, it might have been our only shot to actually see the mountain. A quick check of the National Park Service webcam showed that it was indeed clear over the mountain that morning. We just had to hope that clouds didn’t move in later.

So, off we went. The Denali South Viewpoint is at mile marker 135.7 on the Parks Highway, and that’s the exact distance from Anchorage. If all went right, we had scrapped our relaxing plans for the day so we could drive a total of 270 miles just to see a mountain.

Why was this so important? Well, there are many, many tourists who visit Alaska who never get the chance to see Denali. The local statistic that gets repeated over and over is that only 30% of visitors actually get to see it without cloud cover. I won’t take my shoes off to do the math again due to the complaints I received concerning the smell, but my 7-year-old assures me that this means 70% of visitors never get to see Denali. They even sell t-shirts in the gift shops for visitors to brag about being part of “The 30% Club”.

(One enterprising shop also offered shirts advertising membership in The 70% Club, for those who didn’t get to see a blessed thing.)

The drive up wasn’t terrible. There was a stretch of about 20 miles of road construction in the town of Wasilla that we had to navigate, but at least we still had plenty of mountain scenery to enjoy. At one point, we rounded a bend and found a female moose just standing in the middle of the road, like she was posing for a photo shoot. Thankfully, she thought better of trying to play chicken with the minivan, because I didn’t buy the extra insurance.

Navigating via Google Maps, it was nearing lunchtime as we finally made it to the viewpoint. We pulled into the parking lot, noting quite a few people had also stopped. We walked to the overlook to see if our bet had paid off.

AM-JKLWc-qTQiJVcW_4IgVK-amNmMyVIN5l2Tsc99uFvGloRAha2YYP1c4IMGGVVSofvncS9FgUgNFRmRxyndL0_c1Q2InydmcF4S3spu7MLwIZcFeOsocILZcj3VEigG5EixKL2BMQO6i_SvfJp78qwS-4sEg=w1316-h877-no

Well, now. 135.7 miles suddenly doesn’t seem like that big of a deal.

AM-JKLXTt3Omh2Gr4K4EQHZoUr_KhtphWx_729BpO7wnUGFScuyYYyMhHm9emu14THv7ny_t7aQYaesJeZ_VRYOu9mBJu1XxIuBzEX1LRnbRDdb-Kjf8d27bpSp4RuYIEGnyf2b5gWdYbdz4_t6dD72fTrWdrQ=w1522-h857-no

We learned that this particular viewpoint is roughly 41 miles (66 km) from the mountain itself, but even at that distance it really dominated the landscape. Denali is the snow-covered peak dwarfing all of the other mountains nearby. As one would expect.

AM-JKLWob8sWK7H0yf1JDMU-kchsBIihSqg87HynDwxy7UQTH5JpD39XMxsgRKa1IyKkoK0Zg3MGky-8Y0hHnewll9jnMkMUjv9IMK-rYY-WAeUJFKbQJ5VTpuBCbYOi86ArHG3v7qMhNuK40KHM1bagOASocg=w1316-h877-no

There’s a short hike from the overlook up the hill to the right, and it leads to another viewpoint that in my opinion provides a better view, as the Susitna River is now visible flowing beneath the mountain range.

AM-JKLU8dkrTF8rqyjDI408hF7H-677HV7AMyotkPZo411xFoUOXn_W5-vDDqrRnQ1eUtEVN89eQZ5W8Gfn09FwnzyXb67i4LtkWV4NM4O9wrR-Q6Xy8uSLHUqVYVbjqJu6S4ypCo8TwhwNxrTmBdbVAf2fbnQ=w1522-h857-no

AM-JKLV3DJsaH5wRAycaUvHmGvmgK9PQ1tL58IjEJo_4A9cVy0z22W2YkHY2ylfu-si5vFacb8tTjB4dLfpn7aoV_FpW_F5ms-9pLwnblGgIlUp9oHLD5MxrvgbhqprtIFzpINYXelCZmL4miQthr5lBpa0Rcg=w1522-h857-no

I have to say, we were really getting spoiled with the scenery thus far. We were now officially part of The 30% Club. Time to buy some overpriced junky t-shirts! Woohoo!

AM-JKLVeOjeqzKTsq3XNbNkIJK5d0dLeKHGmVW6Ls3uaJIAy0EbK0iCwi-t1mfy4RpUe0dtUomxYNTqlziMW_O55ALUadk2_yavkVewaa-vZzpQvnAU4IL2MSI2VyvpFzWYBcJhrJG6tXQUcL2InN2LAOjlD6w=w1522-h857-no

AM-JKLWtR8yKakT_yWrtsMtnFW9qycOIugRLYFSE_QV08cTtYC6vaC7bnQwliuTPp71cS_EHz9JnfCgMETMeohUPDXCxdxOePO9G0GQqH851URjRLOuDhtGOexcXT-fiwIujrF91xwHTU_agWAcDkaJxAwuF3Q=w1522-h857-no

The overlook seemed like as good a place as any to eat our PB&J sandwiches for lunch. We sat and enjoyed the warm, beautiful weather and the perfect scenic backdrop. I think scenery like this does make PB&J taste up to 5% better.

AM-JKLV1ymoApe-bKx76oyXIfEWblPu9saijU-X7vFo3GOA7JhHHPNBo2xPyGhPBHr2z5dIao2XiSu0q33-ofvR_4tmt15tqBZ7tFp0ofviAAsdqeUQWxKy1bASUmpJjJvsiG-h_c7E1m2XS55bNiRlyNFtOUg=w1316-h877-no

We had a nice hour or so at the viewpoint. And then we turned around and drove all the way back to Anchorage.

That pretty much took up the whole day. We got back to the city mid-afternoon, so we parked downtown and wandered a bit, but many of the visitor information areas were closed due to COVID. We ducked into a crappy gift shop or two, but there really wasn’t much to see in the city.

We tend to eat dinner early on our vacations because a) we like to beat the crowds, b) PB&J doesn’t typically fill us up for very long, and c) we have teenagers and a 7-year-old who are always hungry. We knew our dinner spot was popular and would be crowded, so we decided around 4:30 p.m. to make our way there and see if we could get a table. It turned out to be a wise decision because Moose’s Tooth Pub & Pizzeria was packed, even that early on a Thursday afternoon. We ended up having to wait about 45 minutes for a table.

AM-JKLXX_PiQiI8t9GzSjSGvKXnMb1UEQbujKAGUkR4thEfXobxcjiHHKjYFP2-atl7tbZTw3lTQkF5TJW7txft89c4Vg04dBQ7eFEHuiMNfS7Js1wRlocaNNIkHn3s5k0BZNCj9xIJr_GR9pI9CFatjVhhmOQ=w1170-h877-no

We were all pretty hungry by the time we were seated. The pizza menu was pretty extensive, and there were some funky combinations, so it was hard for everyone to come to agreement on what we wanted to try. Thankfully, they had some small 10” options so that you could order a “personal” pizza for roughly $10-15. We ended up choosing this option and having a bit of a pizza smorgasbord. Drew chose a plain cheese pizza, which is the only pizza any 7-year-old will ever choose. Julie went with a margherita pie and Dave went with his favorite, the Hawaiian.

AM-JKLVdPI7WQyAXgl79TPADnp1IbiYdkcuAtF_JeIsYKTAESsydbNT-uZ7UVNXFINwDOpYqHwuwkfEpjz0Mwk-ZkKUJ9OCtwxZpzqsqQtowqUPMhEWnijPNcK_PS6EtxEOrhLWfWOGfWkuAArUo1Lfih8q0_Q=w1170-h877-no

Scott and Sarah like to split entrees so they can each try multiple options. In this case, they went with one safe option and one adventure: Scott ordered a pepperoni pie…

AM-JKLXs1eNP-nwFaD4zOdOR5ROEgvYL-40MOCRu52X8kRBJ5nihYbekHrayKS8VCTJCQ2IK-qeR5pR2CCqestd4SE9lr_QZtMx9TqwrLzNYKjMiQqIra2g5dK56Q0_qzxa-IplrN3o3hLrxuvMD9nu4mE9r1A=w1170-h877-no

…while Sarah got a buffalo chicken pizza. It was a bit surprising to see shredded carrots on top.

AM-JKLV2poEnN2IVjdkS_Bf1XLD2E3HdJw3qWqf12wyAvQ3isDtxVZ6FCGEfNSlMWmicPoj9WSHMSOUBnCzro1z7zdkDeXhVI1356bOitGv_DIElWJ9e-MrA9ezNfTQREr0oDM_o2i3wHbrFfjPBYenpCiBXIg=w1170-h877-no

But it actually really worked. That was their favorite pizza out of all of them.

Mine was the chicken parmesan pizza, and I was very satisfied with this one. It was basically as promised—like an open-faced chicken parm sub.

AM-JKLXeDn7KWheD3OOfn7rkSFnFGL6ZcEfLKyrD2Kb04hES04jVjj36xwl9GdC_Bz9SvDVOrp8581zDpnsgJJi5wxw-8Bx-aALIhdnwvNXi4pLrBr0h4c5lrs3r0t-WQM9q1pHVKuAkP3UfRqs4hKPaffknBA=w1170-h877-no

The pub also brewed their own beers, so I gave their Pipeline Stout a try, and that gets a thumbs-up as well. There are a LOT of brewpubs in Alaska. Between the scenery and the amount of brewpubs per capita, it’s fair to wonder if Alaska is actually heaven.

Spoiler alert: you’ll be seeing a lot of brewpubs in this TR.

Anyway, we greatly enjoyed our dinner here, and it was topped off when we decided to spoil ourselves by ordering a dessert called Death By Peanut Butter, which was their version of a chocolate/peanut butter pie.

AM-JKLXR3rfFegpFW-f_GIhjCVCkHTk8CwDRFaHJ4nhIxjyjtZZUAXUtd6uzpbvdtqRZgnFyu-pPiPnifpJkixS3-0cZVP-HnsfvXnF5pDYQ18f4-Fi9oizcbqqZDUYWIarX3JXDzqIBgtMvK9VURrGAaLIidQ=w1170-h877-no

You can almost taste it through the screen, can’t you? I want more. Now.

Having peeked ahead at the menus of the rest of the places we’d be eating on the trip, we decided there that we’d need to go on a Peanut Butter Pie Tour of Alaska. Again, you might be forgiven for thinking this place is heaven.

The pizza was very good, the beer and pie were wonderful, and we felt that Moose’s Tooth deserved a Drooling Homer Award for Excellence in Unpretentious Dining.

e97_KL2FnVF158UqJtTT4AN5IlrhRphoV-b5kFr86tF1onyg_yVhyttaSVieXq3zfKNbGUassFuzY6OIuol8jGxzs9HkyIiHsNfKsUzHYrgG-5_vsFnpTJ5Y9VW8NtZajo5egYjOk4Mx6HmSow4rl-UV7OTYy-wc3-MjP7gcI-tg1LATT0MkqD4Gqc6q_EyMEDZ8a-61ahYVnbFxZu_6y_nmstWyMvSW-ML6tp-66SLPYY5znQJLjfHgIOU-SLMSQVYspL6WGPgPeSvZ5892SnUB_YREBBYgygNVIZvdbRhIsEvZuFHS59gepIomrHmhiWN6fB54BYIv-U28HglyGHOK6AylLzFOtDXfMtoOzYaarMaig0zr_gFrQQyd6tFmM91cUuPg9Jx7BQsrOIKh0xWyQ-FXwFUpr0nTb3_hmTSJuw55XItC7Lad9jwJGCANq1LtC65-H87zWNwhgcjAjejVsRwmyISmKsFd3SbVTczqXZALsYGKaZYCXWdElTPUashHvhuM2NWNOa9Pwu7VR6d8o1NeztU_qAPV7Nvu9cHBxfMFs28ZGDbrjR6M1c-nGIRxVg4yB2TJiAcZ3DCrsYghKB4XkQrjCoRMp5cTTm6lMW2yoT1qaoSL2UVEu7Ne0pN6aygqgc_btXTv88LZI79S35ncCLIxGMdw4F80b3sWyX5b-d50Vu-EpMNmLFmw0TMBp9902UoR_ep9dcxVTvI=w279-h320-no

This Alaska trip was certainly off to a great start.

Coming Up Next: There are only about 7 major roads in Alaska, and we’re going to cover as many as we can.

Last edited:
Longtime readers know that any chance we get (i.e. the price is right), we will stay in an Embassy Suites hotel if it’s available during our travels. It’s always nice to have room for the 6 of us and not have to force anyone to sleep on the floor. And they have by far the best free hotel breakfast of anyone.

This is all truth, especially the part about breakfast!

They have a chef who cooks fresh, made-to-order omelettes on the spot while you wait. Mine was filled with ham, bacon, cheese and onions.

Mine usually has all those things and a few others.

So, off we went. The Denali South Viewpoint is at mile marker 135.7 on the Parks Highway, and that’s the exact distance from Anchorage. If all went right, we had scrapped our relaxing plans for the day so we could drive a total of 270 miles just to see a mountain.

I get it. Fran has been known to drive to San Diego for lunch.

The local statistic that gets repeated over and over is that only 30% of visitors actually get to see it without cloud cover.

Interesting. You learn something new every day!

At one point, we rounded a bend and found a female moose just standing in the middle of the road, like she was posing for a photo shoot.

So where's the picture?

The overlook seemed like as good a place as any to eat our PB&J sandwiches for lunch.

Sounds reasonable....

That pretty much took up the whole day. We got back to the city mid-afternoon, so we parked downtown and wandered a bit, but many of the visitor information areas were closed due to COVID. We ducked into a crappy gift shop or two, but there really wasn’t much to see in the city.

That's too bad.

We knew our dinner spot was popular and would be crowded, so we decided around 4:30 p.m. to make our way there and see if we could get a table. It turned out to be a wise decision because Moose’s Tooth Pub & Pizzeria was packed, even that early on a Thursday afternoon. We ended up having to wait about 45 minutes for a table.

That's a long wait! Must have been one of the only good places to eat in town.

Drew chose a plain cheese pizza, which is the only pizza any 7-year-old will ever choose. Julie went with a margherita pie

I approve of both choices!

Dave went with his favorite, the Hawaiian.

Nope. Just nope.

Scott ordered a pepperoni pie…

AM-JKLXs1eNP-nwFaD4zOdOR5ROEgvYL-40MOCRu52X8kRBJ5nihYbekHrayKS8VCTJCQ2IK-qeR5pR2CCqestd4SE9lr_QZtMx9TqwrLzNYKjMiQqIra2g5dK56Q0_qzxa-IplrN3o3hLrxuvMD9nu4mE9r1A=w1170-h877-no

…while Sarah got a buffalo chicken pizza. It was a bit surprising to see shredded carrots on top.

I think Scotty wins here! Not sure about shredded carrots on my pizza.

Mine was the chicken parmesan pizza, and I was very satisfied with this one. It was basically as promised—like an open-faced chicken parm sub.

Yours sounds like an equally solid choice.

Having peeked ahead at the menus of the rest of the places we’d be eating on the trip, we decided there that we’d need to go on a Peanut Butter Pie Tour of Alaska

I must google this Peanut Butter Pie....

Oh, right! "That's pretty dinky." He said as he looked at the overly small carrot on his plate. (For example)
It's also what we called Hot Wheel-type cars. Dinky cars.
This is why I don't venture up north very often.
And yet... you did.
Jealous. I imagine it must be jaw-dropping.
There was one time I'll never forget. My jaw literally dropped open.

And they have by far the best free hotel breakfast of anyone.
Interesting. Didn't know that. Will keep in mind for when there are no "Country Inn & Suites" available (I get points at those.)
I particularly liked the whale-themed fountain in the lobby.
Very eye catching. The bear is a nice touch too.
They have a chef who cooks fresh, made-to-order omelettes on the spot while you wait.
Really! Impressive for a chain.
Mine was filled with ham, bacon, cheese and onions. Everything a growing boy needs. And they deep-fry the potatoes so they’re hard to beat as well.
mmm... ::yes::
The chef here was a talkative Asian woman who was going on a mile-a-minute about how they had scheduled her for too many shifts…or something.
Really? That's... both odd and a bit uncomfortable.
With that much fat and cholesterol, it’s really nothing a grown man needs, but this is my vacation, so shut up about my health choices.
Calories don't count on vacation.
Once breakfast was eaten, we started the next leg of our Alaska Road Trip Spectacular with perhaps the most important destination of the entire journey: Walmart.

Gotta get those snacks and lunch supplies, you know.
:laughing:
We were hyper-focused on weather due to our desire to see Denali (formerly Mt. McKinley), the highest mountain in North America at 20,320 ft. (6193m).
I had debated (at the time) about adding that onto our cruise, but Mom had the last word (the trip was for her, after all) and she wanted a shorter trip.
Maybe I'll be able to include it sometime in the future.
Later, on a clear day in Anchorage, he had decided to drive 135 miles up the road to a viewpoint just to be able to see the mountain, figuring it was the only chance he had. As it turned out, he was right.
I'd do the same.
If all went right, we had scrapped our relaxing plans for the day so we could drive a total of 270 miles just to see a mountain.
Totally get it.
The local statistic that gets repeated over and over is that only 30% of visitors actually get to see it without cloud cover.
The odds are not in your favour.
my 7-year-old assures me that this means 70% of visitors never get to see Denali.
Always trust a 7-year old's math skills.

Always.
At one point, we rounded a bend and found a female moose just standing in the middle of the road, like she was posing for a photo shoot.
And yet... nary a photo was taken???
Whoa...
I really like Julie's shirt. Might have to show Elle, now that she's both 1. A teacher. And; 2. makes her own shirts.
Wow. That's an incredible shot.
Alaska is really blowing me away.
We were now officially part of The 30% Club. Time to buy some overpriced junky t-shirts! Woohoo!
::yes:: You have to!

Did you?
The overlook seemed like as good a place as any to eat our PB&J sandwiches for lunch.
Yusss!
Breathtaking.
We tend to eat dinner early on our vacations because a) we like to beat the crowds, b) PB&J doesn’t typically fill us up for very long, and c) we have teenagers and a 7-year-old who are always hungry.
Rope drop (usually) works for dining too. ::yes::
Drew chose a plain cheese pizza, which is the only pizza any 7-year-old will ever choose.
Dave went with his favorite, the Hawaiian.
Is the boy all right???
while Sarah got a buffalo chicken pizza. It was a bit surprising to see shredded carrots on top.
Very. Glad it worked.
mmmm... yes please.
we decided to spoil ourselves by ordering a dessert called Death By Peanut Butter, which was their version of a chocolate/peanut butter pie.
:faint:
You can almost taste it through the screen, can’t you?
I cannot confirm nor deny that I licked the screen.
This Alaska trip was certainly off to a great start.
No kidding!

This is all truth, especially the part about breakfast!

So good! There are many times we can't stay there because they're too expensive, but they pretty much ruin all other hotel breakfasts.

Mine usually has all those things and a few others.

Why am I not surprised? :laughing:

I get it. Fran has been known to drive to San Diego for lunch.

Wow...that must be some lunch spot!

Interesting. You learn something new every day!

This is why we were so determined to see the mountain. I would hate to travel all that way and just see clouds.

So where's the picture?

Um...I was driving about 60 mph at the time. We rounded the corner, and there was the moose. I had a choice to either hit the brakes and try and avoid her, or grab the phone. I went with the former. She ran off into the woods.

That's too bad.

Anchorage seemed a little depressed, to be honest. It was sad.

That's a long wait! Must have been one of the only good places to eat in town.

It's definitely one of the most popular. Crowds kept coming all night. They had a huge takeout business, too.

I approve of both choices!

Hey, we'll take it as a win!

Nope. Just nope.

:rotfl2:Hawaiian style isn't my favorite, but I don't run screaming from the room, either.

I think Scotty wins here! Not sure about shredded carrots on my pizza.

I was really surprised by how much they loved the buffalo chicken pizza, I took one bite and didn't really taste the carrots much. I think it was acting as a cooling agent against the hot sauce. Definitely different.

Yours sounds like an equally solid choice.

I have no regrets!

I must google this Peanut Butter Pie....

It's hard to beat peanut butter and chocolate together.

Oh, right! "That's pretty dinky." He said as he looked at the overly small carrot on his plate. (For example)
It's also what we called Hot Wheel-type cars. Dinky cars.

Which is the spirit in which I was using the word to describe the airport.

Small, I mean. Not for Hot Wheels.

And yet... you did.

Well, the wilderness must be explored!

There was one time I'll never forget. My jaw literally dropped open.

I'd give just about anything for a Northern Lights experience like that!

Interesting. Didn't know that. Will keep in mind for when there are no "Country Inn & Suites" available (I get points at those.)

Embassy Suites are often too pricy for us, but when we can get a deal it's always the first choice.

Very eye catching. The bear is a nice touch too.

I try to use bears in all of my decorating.

Really! Impressive for a chain.

So good! It's great to have a fresh breakfast.

Really? That's... both odd and a bit uncomfortable.

We couldn't tell if it was her schtick or if she was actively complaining.

Calories don't count on vacation.

Words to live by! I know I do.

I had debated (at the time) about adding that onto our cruise, but Mom had the last word (the trip was for her, after all) and she wanted a shorter trip.
Maybe I'll be able to include it sometime in the future.

Worth it (if it's visible). How often do you get to to see a mountain that is over 20,000 ft tall? There are only a few in the world.

I'd do the same.

Totally get it.

I figured if anyone would understand, it would be you.

The odds are not in your favour.

Nope. So when the weather looks like we have maybe our once chance to see it, we go!

Always trust a 7-year old's math skills.

Always.

What could go wrong?

And yet... nary a photo was taken???

Well, I was driving 60 mph at the time.

I really like Julie's shirt. Might have to show Elle, now that she's both 1. A teacher. And; 2. makes her own shirts.

I think she and her 4th grade team got those together. They are cute.

Wow. That's an incredible shot.
Alaska is really blowing me away.

I fell in love pretty quickly. The scenery is stunning.

::yes:: You have to!

Did you?

I ended up getting a 30% Club keychain. I didn't really care for any of the t-shirts.

:sad2:

Breathtaking.

It really is. So glad we got the chance to see the mountain.

Rope drop (usually) works for dining too. ::yes::

Always! You just have to eat with the senior crowd.:rotfl2:

Is the boy all right???

His tastes are different from mine...although I'll admit, pineapple on pizza doesn't really bother me.

Very. Glad it worked.

It wasn't bad. I think the carrots mostly acted as a cooling agent against the hot sauce. They loved it, though, which is the important part.

mmmm... yes please.

Chicken parm, you taste so good.

I cannot confirm nor deny that I licked the screen.

In the middle of a pandemic? Brave man.

I try to use bears in all of my decorating.
I couldn't bear it.
So good! It's great to have a fresh breakfast.
::yes:: And "free" too!
We couldn't tell if it was her schtick or if she was actively complaining.
:scared:
Worth it (if it's visible). How often do you get to to see a mountain that is over 20,000 ft tall? There are only a few in the world.
Certainly not here in the middle of flatland.
Nope. So when the weather looks like we have maybe our once chance to see it, we go!
Well, I was driving 60 mph at the time.
You said she was in the middle of the road. Did you just slalom around her???
I think she and her 4th grade team got those together. They are cute.
Showed Elle. She liked it. :)
Always! You just have to eat with the senior crowd.:rotfl2:
I don't mind the occasional shout of "Get off my lawn!"
His tastes are different from mine...although I'll admit, pineapple on pizza doesn't really bother me.
I will eat one slice... then peel the pineapple off any other slices.

And gripe about it.
Chicken parm, you taste so good.
In the middle of a pandemic? Brave man.
It's my laptop. Nobody licks my laptop but me!

I couldn't bear it.

You're barely even trying.

::yes:: And "free" too!

Yes! Just like the "free" dining at Disney!

Certainly not here in the middle of flatland.

Nor in Delaware, elevation 1.

You said she was in the middle of the road. Did you just slalom around her???

We came around a bend in the road, and saw the moose standing in the middle of the road up ahead. We had enough time to say, "Hey, look! A moose!" and I immediately hit the brakes to slow down. Then she spotted us and jogged off into the woods before we reached her.

Showed Elle. She liked it. :)

:goodvibes

I don't mind the occasional shout of "Get off my lawn!"

I may be the one shouting that from time to time.

I will eat one slice... then peel the pineapple off any other slices.

And gripe about it.

Totally fair. I will eat one every once in a while, say "meh", and then go back for more sausage and pepperoni.

It's my laptop. Nobody licks my laptop but me!

Thank goodness for that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter