The Disney Grump & Family Take on the World-Our '09 Christmas w/ the Mouse, COMPLETE

So, to answer my early question about whether we were fortunate or foolish to be to going to WDW during the week of Christmas, I'd have to lean towards fortunate. Yes, it was crowded, but the good definitely outweighed the bad! The biggest indicator to me was watching my boys - on a daily basis at home they pick at each other and argue and goodness knows one of them better not touch the other! But I saw as the week went on that the Disney holiday magic rubbed off on them, they were getting along very well - AND they hugged each other, willingly - it was amazing! :lmao: WDW is filled with holiday spirit during December, it's very special indeed.

Here are a few tips that I picked up on during the week.

1) Get your must do's done early in the week. It gets more crowded as the week goes on. We concentrated on park time our first few days, then pulled back from being in the parks so much later in the week.

2) Get to the parks early! I can't stress enough how enjoyable the parks were early in the morning. We walked on to many headline attractions, and were able to ride our favorites multiple times.

3) Enjoy the things that make being in WDW for the holidays special. The amazing decorations, The Candlelight Processional, Osborne Lights, Storytellers, etc. All were fabulous experiences for us. The one thing I wish we had done differently was to head to DHS right before closing one night to be able to enjoy the Osborne Lights with fewer people around - I know we missed a lot of the little details there.

4) If the parks feel too crowded to you, step away. There is lots to see and do away from the parks. Enjoy a day of shopping in DTD, take a sleigh ride, play mini-golf, visit the resorts to see the holiday decorations, or just chill by your resort pool - so many options!

5) And finally, don't let the grumpy people that you will run into spoil your vacation. With large crowds you will come across plenty of people having a bad day, or some that are just plain rude by nature. Do your best to ignore it and move on, they are the one's with a problem, not you - enjoy your family and have a good time! :goodvibes

Thanks so much to all of you for reading along! I had a great time reliving my trip and sharing it with you. I'm hoping to start a PTR for my May trip in the next couple of days, when I do, I'll be sure and post a link here :thumbsup2

Oh I love it!!! We twisted your arm:yay: :yay: :yay:

SO much fun to write these! Well I know a few people who have fun!!! :laughing:

I really want to hear about the F & G show and what you are planning! Looking forward to it! :surfweb:

The biggest indicator to me was watching my boys - on a daily basis at home they pick at each other and argue and goodness knows one of them better not touch the other! But I saw as the week went on that the Disney holiday magic rubbed off on them, they were getting along very well - AND they hugged each other, willingly - it was amazing! :lmao: WDW is filled with holiday spirit during December, it's very special indeed.

Haha, I love that you included this tidbit about your boys because it did seem very "abnormal" for them to be getting along! I kept thinking, "Wow, SoonerGirl has got it good because both of her sons are such GREAT kids who get along with each other and with the family!" I'm sure they're still better than most :thumbsup2, but the mention of their bickering makes them ... human! Haha.

I can't believe your trip is over! I really want to :sad1:. Looking forward to the PTR and then the new TR!

Here are a few tips that I picked up on during the week.

1) Get your must do's done early in the week.
2) Get to the parks early!
3) Enjoy the things that make being in WDW for the holidays special.
4) If the parks feel too crowded to you, step away.
5) And finally, don't let the grumpy people that you will run into spoil your vacation. - enjoy your family and have a good time! :goodvibes

:thumbsup2 Having been there on New Year's Eve, I must say I agree with all your tips. A crazy-busy time is doable at Disney if you have the right expectations!

Thanks so much to all of you for reading along! I had a great time reliving my trip and sharing it with you. I'm hoping to start a PTR for my May trip in the next couple of days, when I do, I'll be sure and post a link here :thumbsup2

Michelle, I had a great time reading your TR---loved hearing all about the special details you added to make your trip so special for Don and your boys. :goodvibes

Now........I'm ready for a PTR! :woohoo:

Well, I'm sad it's over! Such a fun trip report. I really enjoyed all the pictures and details. Thanks for sharing your holiday trip. Makes me all the more determined to make it there one of these years for the holidays

Have a great time with your Mom in the World in May! Those memories are so special. I took my parents on their last trip to Disney in January 2009. My Mom has Alzheimer's and she's now confined to a nursing home but I've got pictures and memories from trips through lots of years and they are now priceless!!

on a daily basis at home they pick at each other and argue and goodness knows one of them better not touch the other! But I saw as the week went on that the Disney holiday magic rubbed off on them, they were getting along very well - AND they hugged each other, willingly - it was amazing! :lmao:

:rotfl2: I LOVE this!! What other incentive does another mom of 2 boys need to start planning another family trip to the world?

I've loved your TR and getting the chance to "meet" your family. I'm looking forward to your PTR and even more to meeting you for real in May!

Great tips and a fabulous trip report! Thank you for sharing your vacation and your darling family with us!!! :goodvibes

Now, on to the PTR! :thumbsup2

I've enjoyed reading along for your WDW Christmas. I hope you have a great time at the flower & garden show! I look forward to seeing pictures from your new trip!

Isn't it true about kids and their bickering? We definitely have our fair share of that in our home too. ;) But, at Disney it was better. The spirit must invade these kids! LOL! You had such a wonderful trip. I'm sad that it's over. I had so much fun reading along with you and your gang! :)

Thanks for the tips on a Disney Christmas! I plan to take a trip during Christmas some day.. and I'm glad to see that the good out-way the bad because Christmas time scares me with all the crowds.

I was a few updates behind...sounds like you had a great last full day and part day despite the sicknesses that hit the family. I'm glad to hear the boys made a quick recovery for the Wishes cruise! :yay::yay::yay:

Your Beverly pics are some of the BEST I have ever seen on the DIS! :lmao: So hilarious!!!! I wish I had been there to laugh along with it all...hopefully our paths WILL cross in the future. :goodvibes

Your B&TB pics confirm it, I MUST GET A ZOOM LENS! Where is the "green with envy" smiley? ;)

I've enjoyed every moment of your TR, thank you for taking the time to share it with all of us! I will be on the lookout for a PTR link for your May trip!

Oh I love it!!! We twisted your arm:yay: :yay: :yay:

SO much fun to write these! Well I know a few people who have fun!!! :laughing:

I really want to hear about the F & G show and what you are planning! Looking forward to it! :surfweb:

Yep, you guys twisted my arm! :laughing: I finally got it started today - I'll post the link when I'm done with my replies :thumbsup2

I'm looking forward to the F&G show too! I printed out the brochure the other day and I'm hoping to go over it with Mom this weekend.

Haha, I love that you included this tidbit about your boys because it did seem very "abnormal" for them to be getting along! I kept thinking, "Wow, SoonerGirl has got it good because both of her sons are such GREAT kids who get along with each other and with the family!" I'm sure they're still better than most :thumbsup2, but the mention of their bickering makes them ... human! Haha.

I can't believe your trip is over! I really want to :sad1:. Looking forward to the PTR and then the new TR!

Yeah, I only WISH that got along that well all of the time! I have to put them in separte rooms several times a week!

:thumbsup2 Having been there on New Year's Eve, I must say I agree with all your tips. A crazy-busy time is doable at Disney if you have the right expectations!

Michelle, I had a great time reading your TR---loved hearing all about the special details you added to make your trip so special for Don and your boys. :goodvibes

Now........I'm ready for a PTR! :woohoo:

Thanks so much for reading along Michelle! It really was a special trip, and since it was probably the last for us as a family for awhile, I'm really happy with how it all came together.

PTR coming right up!

Well, I'm sad it's over! Such a fun trip report. I really enjoyed all the pictures and details. Thanks for sharing your holiday trip. Makes me all the more determined to make it there one of these years for the holidays

Have a great time with your Mom in the World in May! Those memories are so special. I took my parents on their last trip to Disney in January 2009. My Mom has Alzheimer's and she's now confined to a nursing home but I've got pictures and memories from trips through lots of years and they are now priceless!!

Thanks so much reading! I think everyone should experience Disney at Christmas at least once, it truley is wonderful :goodvibes

I'm sorry about your mom :hug: My Grandmother has Alzheimers, it's such an awful disease. It is wonderful to look back at the memories though, those are the things to hold on to!

:rotfl2: I LOVE this!! What other incentive does another mom of 2 boys need to start planning another family trip to the world?

No kidding! Maybe we should move there! :thumbsup2

I've loved your TR and getting the chance to "meet" your family. I'm looking forward to your PTR and even more to meeting you for real in May!

Thanks Katie! I can't wait to meet you in person as well!

Great tips and a fabulous trip report! Thank you for sharing your vacation and your darling family with us!!! :goodvibes

Now, on to the PTR! :thumbsup2

Thanks Jackie - PTR is started, I'll post the link in just a few minutes! :yay:

I've enjoyed reading along for your WDW Christmas. I hope you have a great time at the flower & garden show! I look forward to seeing pictures from your new trip!

Thank you for reading, I really enjoyed writing this report. And, I am so looking forward to the F&G show - can't wait!!

Isn't it true about kids and their bickering? We definitely have our fair share of that in our home too. ;) But, at Disney it was better. The spirit must invade these kids! LOL! You had such a wonderful trip. I'm sad that it's over. I had so much fun reading along with you and your gang! :)

I don't know what it is about vacation that cause my kids to get along, but I wish it would translate into everyday life! :laughing:

Thanks for reading Kelli! I hope you'll come join me on my PTR.

Thanks for all the tips-great report with awesome pics. Now, on to the PTR

Thanks Mary! PTR coming right up!

Loved your trip report!!! :goodvibes All set for the PTR now! ;)

Thanks Lynne!

Thanks for the tips on a Disney Christmas! I plan to take a trip during Christmas some day.. and I'm glad to see that the good out-way the bad because Christmas time scares me with all the crowds.

The crowds can be a bit much at times, just make sure you go into it with the right attitude and you'll be fine!

I was a few updates behind...sounds like you had a great last full day and part day despite the sicknesses that hit the family. I'm glad to hear the boys made a quick recovery for the Wishes cruise! :yay::yay::yay:

Your Beverly pics are some of the BEST I have ever seen on the DIS! :lmao: So hilarious!!!! I wish I had been there to laugh along with it all...hopefully our paths WILL cross in the future. :goodvibes

Your B&TB pics confirm it, I MUST GET A ZOOM LENS! Where is the "green with envy" smiley? ;)

I've enjoyed every moment of your TR, thank you for taking the time to share it with all of us! I will be on the lookout for a PTR link for your May trip!

Aren't those Beverly pic great?! Thats one of the great things about the DSLR, the fact that it will take a bunch of pics in a row - allows you to capture those things! We'll see each other in person someday :goodvibes

Yes! Get a zoom lens - you'll be so happy you did!

Thanks for reading along Brook, hope to see you on my PTR!

I haven't posted much, but I have enjoyed the report and will be following along for the next one. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter