The Dis Exclusive City of Knights and Lights Trip 10/8 - 10/17/2012

So what's this I'm hearing about a costume party? Is there something new I should be adding to my packing list?

Lindsay and I just booked our flights! We're flying on SkyMiles and the direct to Heathrow we wanted went up in "price" so I had to get a flight through Detroit while the getting was good.

Has anyone on the trip thought about what to do after the 2 nights at DLP? We're not flying home until Friday thinking it was a waste to go back on Wednesday. No way we'd be going to work the next day anyway.

I'm still on the fence on when I want to buy Airfare at this point I got a different quote for the same exact flights I wanted in the same day so you have to keep checking. It's like the stock market or in this case buy low ignore when high. I don't have any kind of frequent flyer miles so I will be in Economy wondering how everyone else is enjoying first or business class. :p The money has to give somewhere.

I will be spending the following week of the adventure in the middle of 'No Where' France(sort of Normandy) hopefully riding horses but not sure yet on the details. By the time this trip has a chat night I should have a better idea what I'm doing and share it with everyone that is curious to know. :)

Lindsay and I just booked our flights! We're flying on SkyMiles and the direct to Heathrow we wanted went up in "price" so I had to get a flight through Detroit while the getting was good.

Has anyone on the trip thought about what to do after the 2 nights at DLP? We're not flying home until Friday thinking it was a waste to go back on Wednesday. No way we'd be going to work the next day anyway.

We're planning to head east to Reims (either car or train) to the heart of Champagne country. We're also hoping to have dinner at L'Assiette Champenoise while we're there. It's the restaurant of Chef Arnaud Lallement, who partnered with Chef Scott Hunnel of Victoria and Albert's to develop the menu for Remy onboard the Disney Dream and Fantasy.

Probably two nights there, then taking the train back to London on Friday and flying home on Saturday.

We went to Epernay following our Knights and Lights adventure last year and had a fantastic time.

We went to Epernay following our Knights and Lights adventure last year and had a fantastic time.

We'll probably be tasting anywhere between Epernay and Reims. Did you visit any champagne houses? Any you would recommend either because of the tasting experience or a great tour?

Is there any chance we could get to Normandy to see the beaches during any of our OYO time in Paris?

Is there any chance we could get to Normandy to see the beaches during any of our OYO time in Paris?

Your OYO time in Paris is measured in hours.

This is one of the reasons I didn't want to go to Versailles. I wanted more OYO time in Paris.

Normandy is approximately 125 miles from Paris.

You would not have time to get there, see what you wanted to see and get back to Paris unless your drastically alter the tour schedule....which you can do if you are willing to miss the things that are part of the scheduled tour (like the day at Versailles).

Your OYO time in Paris is measured in hours.

This is one of the reasons I didn't want to go to Versailles. I wanted more OYO time in Paris.

Normandy is approximately 125 miles from Paris.

You would not have time to get there, see what you wanted to see and get back to Paris unless your drastically alter the tour schedule....which you can do if you are willing to miss the things that are part of the scheduled tour (like the day at Versailles).

Gotcha, thanks Kevin.

What kind of day do you have planned in Paris on the Versailles day? My wife wants to do Versailled but I kinda want to see more Paris.

Gotcha, thanks Kevin.

What kind of day do you have planned in Paris on the Versailles day? My wife wants to do Versailled but I kinda want to see more Paris.

All I can say at this point is....I have no intention of going to Versailles on this Adventure either.

We are hoping to offer an alternative, but at this point we don't have specifics.

If that isn't what you want, you can always do what we did last year.

Hire a car and an English speaking driver and make up your own itinerary.

I had done some research (Okay...I've been doing research on Paris since I was 6) and I had a list of places I wanted to go.

5 of us spent the day visiting those places and as I've said previously.....it might be the best day of my life.

Hope that helps.

All I can say at this point is....I have no intention of going to Versailles on this Adventure either.

We are hoping to offer an alternative, but at this point we don't have specifics.

If that isn't what you want, you can always do what we did last year.

Hire a car and an English speaking driver and make up your own itinerary.

I had done some research (Okay...I've been doing research on Paris since I was 6) and I had a list of places I wanted to go.

5 of us spent the day visiting those places and as I've said previously.....it might be the best day of my life.

Hope that helps.

I hope I don't put unrealistic pressure on Kevin and John but if they offer an alternative to Versailles, my suggestion is to do it. One of the most enjoyable days of our Viva Italia trip was the day they arranged for the bus to go from the Tuscan Resort to Florence. But for that day, I would not have felt like I got to genuinely experience Florence.

I second what Jack said. The highlight for me of Versailles was Pete going off course in the golf cart and it shutting down. His navigator was of no help :rolleyes1

I second what Jack said. The highlight for me of Versailles was Pete going off course in the golf cart and it shutting down. His navigator was of no help :rolleyes1

I'm sorry I missed that spectacle. I was on the Tour de Versailles bike ride. I saw all the French people snickering at me as I was returning the bike. :snooty:

We'll probably be tasting anywhere between Epernay and Reims. Did you visit any champagne houses? Any you would recommend either because of the tasting experience or a great tour?

I wrote a blog about our day in Epernay. There's a link to it in a post somewhere..... We visited an amazing champagne house. I see you are on the upcoming podcast cruise, if you want more info, let me know and we can chat. :goodvibes

I wrote a blog about our day in Epernay. There's a link to it in a post somewhere..... We visited an amazing champagne house. I see you are on the upcoming podcast cruise, if you want more info, let me know and we can chat. :goodvibes

Terrific, I'll go hunt for that :)

I'm leaning to not doing Versailles especially since after Disneyland I won't be back to Paris except to get a rental car(and to fly home of course) and possibly do some grocery shopping before we leave for our adventure after the adventure.

I think I would rather do Musée d'Orsay instead or just walk around and be a Parisian.

It looks like I will be in the Cider/Brandy area after the adventure, looking forward to that!

Just thought I would post since i have not done much lately. I have been in Berlin for work for the last four weeks and think i have my trip back to Berlin settled for Nov. I had to wait to find out about that before i could think of plane tickets for ABD. I am back and don't have to immediately go to Berlin after the trip. I can now book plane tickts, my problem am trying to decide if i leave Paris on Wed Oct 17 or Friday Oct 19. The only issue is the vacation time off from work. Of couse i will turn around and fly back to Berlin at the end of Oct but at least I will get a chance to see my dogs. Wow my jetlag will be interesting. Anyways, plans are in the works am getting excited.

Hey do most people book airfare themselves or do you get a quote through ABD? I know which flight i will book just trying to decide if it is worth it to book through ABD assuming it is the same price. If ABD is more expensive then obviously i will book it myself.

Thanks

Hey do most people book airfare themselves or do you get a quote through ABD? I know which flight i will book just trying to decide if it is worth it to book through ABD assuming it is the same price. If ABD is more expensive then obviously i will book it myself.

Thanks
ABD will book exactly the flight you ask them to, at exactly the price you see (assuming it's still available when you call them). ABD does not have any special arrangements with the airlines like DCL does. They're basically just acting like a TA for you, booking whatever you want. They will research it for you, and propose a ticket, like any TA would do, but it might not be as good a deal as you could get if you found the ticket yourself and then called ABD with it.

Sayhello

I'm sorry I missed that spectacle. I was on the Tour de Versailles bike ride. I saw all the French people snickering at me as I was returning the bike. :snooty:

We were on the Knights & Lights tour last month. LOVED every bit of it! Wish we could come along with you on this special tour!

I must say, one of my favorite places was Versailles. Thought it was beautiful. My fondest memory is the bike ride, where my pedal broke and our wonderful guide and I walked back, pushing our bikes, and having the best heart to heart chat! :). We joke that we "bonded for life" on that very long stroll! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!