The Dirty Dozen – 12 Days of Disney, Drinks & Dining - Updated 2/26

Glad you tried Trattoria breakfast and liked it! I think it's our fave on property breakfast right now and we'll be doing it soon too.
You certainly picked a winner. The menu did little to entice me but I figured I'd trust the Italians on the Italian breakfast. Boy am I glad we did!

You need boys. Boy shopping:
"Mom I need shoes"
-go into 1 store and get shoes
-done
I mean they're $250 shoes but you might consider that a good trade off for less shopping time!
:rotfl: Thats a tough one right there because I'd love actually avoiding the shopping but I'm also cheap at heart. In a strange twist of fate we all went shoe shopping today. We left with 2 pairs for Casey (one on clearance for my cheap soul), a most definitely not on clearance pair for Jason, and any guesses who couldn't find anything :rolleyes1 Shopping just isn't in my cards

The one nice thing about the late opening time for Epcot is that it gives you time to enjoy a nice breakfast. It looks like you had a great morning. :)
I seriously wish every park opened at the same time as Epcot. 11 am is so my idea of morning

OMG this really needs to be your Christmas card! I'm still laughing and believe me it couldn't have come at a better time because I needed to laugh today! We are all vaccinated and hubby and I have had the booster shot and yet he's tested positive this morning! Noooooo good at all!
Oh no!!!! I am so sorry to hear that. Hope he is feeling ok but clearly not good for any of you

So for now please feel free to each your lunch off my floor as it and everything else have been bleached and disinfected to the extent that I can smell the bleach when I'm at the outside bin!
:rotfl:Casey and Jason got a horrible stomach bug before Christmas a few years ago and that was so me. I'm pretty sure I disinfected every square inch of our house and as soon as I was done did it again

On a positive note hubby can no longer taste my cooking (possibly a good thing lol) and is otherwise ok.
:rotfl2: Something tells me that he would be pretty happy to taste anything right about now

Of course eldest boy child thinks it's a deliberate ploy to keep him from the pub which believe me I'd quite like to visit too at this rate. I will not print what I'm actually saying in my head or I will be banned forever from these boards!
That sounds like a good idea. Though I cannot fathom what you all are going through. Hope your hubby is feeling well and everyone else can keep it at bay. More importantly hope you can actually see those grand kids of yours soon. Especially with it being Thanksgiving this week. Know that is your most favorite of Irish holidays

Oh no!!!! I am so sorry to hear that. Hope he is feeling ok but clearly not good for any of you
He’s doing ok. Said it was a rough enough night but other than a headache and sore bones he’s hanging in there. He is quarantined in our bedroom as it’s got an en-suite bathroom and I have the joyful pleasure of the sofa bed downstairs - it ain’t no Yacht Club daybed that I can confirm. Nextdoor neighbour ( we live in a semi-detached house) likely thinks someone is being tortured in here as I grunt and groan every time I need to get off this thing! Menopausal woman needs loo more times during night than a newly trained toddler that’s for sure😱🤣
:rotfl:Casey and Jason got a horrible stomach bug before Christmas a few years ago and that was so me. I'm pretty sure I disinfected every square inch of our house and as soon as I was done did it again
Yup sounds exactly like me!
:rotfl2: Something tells me that he would be pretty happy to taste anything right about now
I was so tempted to order in Indian food for dinner last night because I love it and him not so much but I figured, ya know he can’t taste anything so where’s the harm :confused3 Then I decided that was too mean even for me :rotfl:and got Chinese takeaway as I was knackered from all the cleaning. They left it on doorstep so it was contactless
Hope your hubby is feeling well and everyone else can keep it at bay. More importantly hope you can actually see those grand kids of yours soon. Especially with it being Thanksgiving this week. Know that is your most favorite of Irish holidays
Thanks. So far pcr tests have confirmed he is positive and youngest boy and I are negative. Eldest son is still asleep but hopefully he’s negative too. It’s a bloody nightmare- I honestly thought we’d escape as hubby and I have been fully vaccinated and had our 3rd booster 2 weeks ago, Connor is double vaccinated and Matty has had one shot which is all that’s on offer for his age here at the minute. Thing is hubby is fanatical about cleaning and wiping touch points, mask wearing and hand washing and just generally keeping ultra safe. Bit like Jason. We’ve been to dinner out a grand total of twice since this whole thing began and only since we were all vaccinated but he returned to the office a couple of weeks ago and out of 4 people that he works closest with, all of whom are double vaccinated, 3 have tested positive! This was his first positive test on day 8 of testing after the first of the four of them showed symptoms and tested positive. If you’re a close contact here they recommend testing days 2 and 8 after initial contact but he’d tested every day and it was negative for them all- until it wasn’t!
I guess what I’m saying is stay away from people as much as possible regardless of vaccination status especially if you’ve a trip coming up and need to fly to get there. Hopefully he will only have a mild version 🤞

Eldest boy just texted- he’s negative too🎉
Going to be at least 10 days now before I see the grandkids but at least we can FaceTime and as for that most celebrated of Irish holidays that is Thanksgiving - I learnt something new today! Wait for it- I did not know that when American recipes say to broil something they actually mean chuck it under the grill! I always thought you lot were boiling the life outta your food and adding in an extra “r” for good measure but some randomer was cooking thanksgiving recipes at 2 am this morning ( couldn’t sleep) and since I’m all on my owney o I was lying in my sumptuous sofa bed watching her and there it was- she broiled her cheesey topped casserole thingy by sticking it under the hot grill. So there’s ya have it- I’ve been broiling things and not knowing it my entire life ( please tell me I’ve got this right and it’s not 2am brain fog ):rotfl:

Last edited:
I got Casey and Jason a Mickey Waffle iron and the brand that was supposed to be Disney waffle batter for Xmas last year. They were good, but never like Disney does them

I had those in my Amazon cart and was too cheap to actually buy them! I guess I'm glad now that I didn't spend all that money!

So far pcr tests have confirmed he is positive and youngest boy and I are negative. Eldest son is still asleep but hopefully he’s negative too. It’s a bloody nightmare-

I'm so sorry to hear this and hope he's better soon!

Last edited:

Clearly we just figured out our next date 🙂
Sounds perfect!
I don’t always love eggs and have to really be in the mood for them but boy o boy was I glad I was in the mood today. Perfectly cooked runny eggs cooked in a spicy tomato sauce with some crispy charred bread to sop it all up with. This was absolutely eggstravaganzaglorious.
That dish looks incredible!
You need boys. Boy shopping:
"Mom I need shoes"
-go into 1 store and get shoes
-done
I mean they're $250 shoes but you might consider that a good trade off for less shopping time!
Yup! "mom, I need black joggers.....not the too skinny ones, the slim ones. But no cargo pockets. And nothing ripped or weird. You can get those, right???"
OMG this really needs to be your Christmas card! I'm still laughing and believe me it couldn't have come at a better time because I needed to laugh today! We are all vaccinated and hubby and I have had the booster shot and yet he's tested positive this morning! Noooooo good at all! So far the lateral flow tests show the rest of us as negative but we await PCR results tomorrow. We always do lateral flow before our daughter visits with the grandkids to keep the wee ones safe. Thank goodness we did. So for now please feel free to each your lunch off my floor as it and everything else have been bleached and disinfected to the extent that I can smell the bleach when I'm at the outside bin! On a positive note hubby can no longer taste my cooking (possibly a good thing lol) and is otherwise ok. Crossing fingers. toes, eyes and legs (makes walking awkward but hey ho lol) :goodvibes that no one else succumbs. Of course eldest boy child thinks it's a deliberate ploy to keep him from the pub which believe me I'd quite like to visit too at this rate. I will not print what I'm actually saying in my head or I will be banned forever from these boards! Stay safe everyone
I am so sorry to hear this! Hoping the rest of you stay safe and well.:hug:

Yup! "mom, I need black joggers.....not the too skinny ones, the slim ones. But no cargo pockets. And nothing ripped or weird. You can get those, right???"
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: This sounds exactly like my son!
thanks for the well wishes and sorry to everyone for the really long post before. Didn’t mean to take over the thread. 😱

Love Homecomin. Glad you got to go with your Brother. I salute your good taste as the Hushpuppies and Thigh High Biscuits were our choices for lunch on our last trip. We had 2 ADRS for the trip that never was last year. Including Brunch:sad1:. Oh well maybe next year .

Instead of ordering entrée’s the rest of us all shared a couple of apps and a side. First up we have the Thigh High Chicken Biscuits which are topped with Che Fart's fried chicken thighs and bread and butter pickles then drizzled with hot honey.

This is my absolute favorite thing at Homecoming. The chicken is incredibly crispy made all the better by the sweet and spicy honey.
For apps we couldn’t resist the Bunch of Puppies which are hushpuppies served with pimento cheese and red jalapeño jelly.

We’ve ordered these several times before and they never disappoint. Fried corn batter, sweet and spicy pepper jam, and creamy pimento cheese.

I had fun catching up this morning while avoiding the massive cleaning and prep I need to do before tomorrow. :rolleyes: You had a couple of my absolute favorite dishes in WDW -- those chicken thigh biscuits at Homecomin' and the plant-based meatballs and hummus at Docking Bay Seven. Both are so delicious. I'm thinking you may have had a new bartender at Homecomin' because the Fig & Berries cocktail is my favorite and I wouldn't describe it as "chunky." :rotfl: Glad to hear your dad is doing better. :goodvibes Happy Thanksgiving!

He’s doing ok. Said it was a rough enough night but other than a headache and sore bones he’s hanging in there.
Sincerely hope he is doing better. Poor Casey had a terrible reaction to her first vaccine and had the same issues. Poor thing goes back on Friday for her second dose and we are fearful she'll be down for a few days again.

Nextdoor neighbour ( we live in a semi-detached house) likely thinks someone is being tortured in here as I grunt and groan every time I need to get off this thing! Menopausal woman needs loo more times during night than a newly trained toddler that’s for sure😱🤣
:rotfl2: Pretty sure sleeping on the couch should not be attempted after the age of 30

was so tempted to order in Indian food for dinner last night because I love it and him not so much but I figured, ya know he can’t taste anything so where’s the harm :confused3 Then I decided that was too mean even for me :rotfl:and got Chinese takeaway as I was knackered from all the cleaning. They left it on doorstep so it was contactless
Oh you should have so done it and told him Chinese. Maybe he wouldn't have even noticed :confused3

honestly thought we’d escape as hubby and I have been fully vaccinated and had our 3rd booster 2 weeks ago,
This stuff is just crazy. You do everything right, get vaccinated, and still can't escape it.

e’ve been to dinner out a grand total of twice since this whole thing began and only since we were all vaccinated but he returned to the office a couple of weeks ago and out of 4 people that he works closest with, all of whom are double vaccinated, 3 have tested positive!
I've been back at work since last June and we've had a scary amount of cases. Still not sure how I've avoided it. We like you do everything right, but clearly even that doesn't work sometimes. Though my work has rules on top of rules on top of rules for everything. I work for a government agency so they are mandating vaccines, but beyond that I have to get my temperature taken entering every day, you have to wear masks at all times, all meetings are virtual, no eating in common spaces, limits to elevators, etc, etc etc. Despite all this we have still had a good amount of cases.

Going to be at least 10 days now before I see the grandkids but at least we can FaceTime and as for that most celebrated of Irish holidays that is Thanksgiving -
Oh I'm so sorry. That has to be so hard. Though clearly all for the best.

ait for it- I did not know that when American recipes say to broil something they actually mean chuck it under the grill! I always thought you lot were boiling the life outta your food and adding in an extra “r” for good measure but some randomer was cooking thanksgiving recipes at 2 am this morning
:rotfl: Now that is funny. Pretty sure it's only the Irish that boil the heck out of something and still call it food :P

I had those in my Amazon cart and was took cheap to actually buy them! I guess I'm glad now that I didn't spend all that money!
The waffle iron works great and the batter is good, but not worth the price. Just get yourself some eggos and put them in the toaster and call it a day :earboy2:

:rotfl: Maybe its not worse having a girl. I can still get away with buying most of Casey's clothes at consignment sales. She's all about options over quality so it works out well for my wallet

Love Homecomin. Glad you got to go with your Brother. I salute your good taste as the Hushpuppies and Thigh High Biscuits were our choices for lunch on our last trip. We had 2 ADRS for the trip that never was last year. Including Brunch:sad1:. Oh well maybe next year .
We've yet to try brunch but I so want to. Some of their stuff sounds absolutely delicious. And its Homecoming so you know its gotta be good.

I had fun catching up this morning while avoiding the massive cleaning and prep I need to do before tomorrow. :rolleyes:
Can I come? Something tells me people eat like royalty at your house

I'm thinking you may have had a new bartender at Homecomin' because the Fig & Berries cocktail is my favorite and I wouldn't describe it as "chunky."
Well that is at least good to hear. I prefer to not chew my drinks so I didn't try this one.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving to you Christine. Hope you enjoy lots of good food and more importantly :drinking1

Now that is funny. Pretty sure it's only the Irish that boil the heck out of something and still call it food :P
As a 2nd Generation Scottish American I can say the Irish may not be alone
We've yet to try brunch but I so want to. Some of their stuff sounds absolutely delicious. And its Homecoming so you know its gotta be good.
I was so excited to grab that ADR. It was at the time they had both brunch & lunch so if DH wasn't in the mood for breakfast he had plenty of options

Poor Casey had a terrible reaction to her first vaccine and had the same issues. Poor thing goes back on Friday for her second dose and we are fearful she'll be down for a few days again.
Poor Casey. They recommended we took Paracetamol for a couple of days after our vaccines and it definitely helped., They are only giving kids aged 12-15 1 vaccine here atm but I'm hoping that will change soon so my youngest can get a 2nd jab when it's due.
Pretty sure sleeping on the couch should not be attempted after the age of 30
I can vouch for that! Honest to God I nearly got myself a hot port at 2 am but then there was the whole "getting out of the sleeping bag" thing:rotfl:
Oh you should have so done it and told him Chinese. Maybe he wouldn't have even noticed :confused3
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
:rotfl: Now that is funny. Pretty sure it's only the Irish that boil the heck out of something and still call it food :P
Guilty as charged:lmao:
:rotfl:

:rotfl:Probably could have added a few countries to that. I'm 2nd generation Italian and thankfully all we boil is pasta :earboy2:

Poor Casey. They recommended we took Paracetamol for a couple of days after our vaccines and it definitely helped., They are only giving kids aged 12-15 1 vaccine here atm but I'm hoping that will change soon so my youngest can get a 2nd jab when it's due.
We are definitely going to start her on it as soon as she gets the shot this time and keep her on it for a few days. Hopefully that keeps it at bay.

it's a (blue)zoo in here

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Before we start cooking and the traditional pilgrim bloody marys start flowing thought I’d get one more update done. Hope everyone has a healthy, happy, and tipsy holiday :drinking1

To continue our theme of resting on the 7th day we elected to stay in and grabbed a last minute reservation at bluezoo (please ensure no capital letters or spaces are used in the spelling of this name). This did require that we walk all the way from The Swan to The Dolphin, but we were willing to sacrifice in the name of food.

We’d only ever done Happy Hour at bluezoo before so we were looking forward to our first official meal.

For drinks Jason and I shared a bottle of Silverado Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc. No picture of the wine, but who needs that when you’ve got these two wine models.

We had been to this winery in Napa before so this was a bit of a nostalgic selection but it was a very dry and crisp white that hit the seafood spot.

After taking this photo of us Casey has kind enough to selfie her own selection of Swedish Fish Soda which they described as a blast from the past for the young and old with swedish fish candy syrup and soda

In words I never thought I would hear spoken Casey felt this was “too sweet” and “needed less sugar.” :confused3

To help soak up all that sugar bluezoo started us off some sourdough bread and butter.

The bread was perfect as it was warm and dense with that distinctive sourdough tart taste. The butter on the other hand was really odd. It tasted like it had star anise in it which for the record is not a flavor anyone should want in butter.

As our app we went for the Risotto “tots” which is technically a side item on the menu. These are fried risotto with white truffle and “sassy” romesco.

These were a new item for us and they were fanfreakingtastic. The tots were fried risotto balls and were crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside with a ton of truffle flavor. The “sassy” romesco had a bit more tomato flavor than the promised sass and was good on its own but overwhelmed the truffle flavor a bit. But props to bluezoo for using the word sassy which obviously needs a more prominent role in the English language.

When it came to entrée time Casey continued her independent streak and ordered the Pork Belly Bao appetizer as her entrée.

These are slow cooked smoked pork, hoisin, pickled vegetables, and a kimchi aioli served on a bao bun. She liked these very much but said they tasted like bbq and she wanted more kimchi flavor. Only my child.

I ordered the uncapitalized bluezoo Simply fish which tonight was mahimahi which I ordered with a warm crab Dijon sauce. I also added scallops to it for an additional $12.

This came with a side of risotto and charred vegetables which were both fantastic. The risotto was probably the best I’d ever had. It was simultaneously al dente and creamy and was everything a risotto should be (and I’ve never been able to pull off myself). The veggies included carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli and they were perfectly charred. I’m of the mindset that veggies taste better burnt so I was loving these. Sadly the veggies and risotto eclipsed the actual seafood. The mahi and scallops were fine, but they were more steamed than seared and the sauce did not have much flavor.

Jason ordered the Cappaletti pasta which was charred kale and ricotta-filled pasta served with lobster medallions and chervil butter.

In case you were too distracted by my husband's dazzling smile I'll draw your attention to the food which was absolutely beautiful and probably one of the best plated things we’d ever seen at Disney. Sadly it looked better than it tasted. It wasn’t bad by any stretch of the imagination just was massively under seasoned, so it was all a bit bland. Thankfully for me I can't say the same for Jason :rotfl:

Despite a few missteps we enjoyed our meal overall, but I think Happy Hour is more of bluezoo’s sweet spot. All of our food was good – but not outstanding – and I think I would have been happier with some cocktails and apps at the bar.

None of their desserts struck our fancy so we had to "make do" with the Gideons cookies we had in the room. Oh the sacrifice. Though word of warning these cookies had some sort of curse on them as they were lorded over by the girl from the ring.

You’ve been warned.

Up next, Jason’s favorite Disney restaurant and its probably not what you think. Any guesses?

Jason’s favorite Disney restaurant and its probably not what you think. Any guesses?
Raglan Road-where else can you wait over an hour for substandard food with a side of diddle-de-dee music! No?? Really I have no earthly clue :confused3
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Love that Casey is guarding the cookies. Those eyes could whither you on the spot if you tried to steal a crumb or two :rotfl: Wise girl!

I HATE the butter at bluezoo! I'm increasingly thinking we were separated at birth. 😆 I agree their happy hour is excellent (& to still offer "deals" is pretty unusual at Disney!). Crab nachos! They have what I think is my favorite cocktail on property - Serenity (which I refer to as Serenity Now! -- any Seinfeld fans out there?). The Simply Fish is generally my go-to as well (with the crab sauce). Sorry to hear it wasn't a homerun that night. I'm hoping that as things continue to return to normal they will go back to their full menu. I am really missing a tuna tartar dish with sriracha they did with dry ice.

Jason's fave restaurant. Hmmm. I can't wait to find out!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

After taking this photo of us Casey has kind enough to selfie her own selection of Swedish Fish Soda which they described as a blast from the past for the young and old with swedish fish candy syrup and soda

This sounds amazing! I'm sorry it was too sweet....it must have been crazy sweet for her to think that!!

Jason ordered the Cappaletti pasta which was charred kale and ricotta-filled pasta served with lobster medallions and chervil butter.

I'm sorry that this was disappointing...it looked and sounded so amazing!!

I do like the idea of just having drinks and appetizers here...those looked really good...especially the risotto!

Hmm. Could it be fennel seed in with that butter? They certainly have an anise flavour and the particles in your photo seem suspiciously similar. Whatever it was, they should keep it away from the guests’ precious butter! Speaking of precious, that last photo with Casey had me channeling a certain creepy voice from a certain distinctly unDisney film about a piece of round jewellery. I admit that I have the same reaction to baked goods. My precious, indeed. :rolleyes1

The butter on the other hand was really odd. It tasted like it had star anise in it which for the record is not a flavor anyone should want in butter.
That looks like someone let the butter melt into a big puddle.
When it came to entrée time Casey continued her independent streak and ordered the Pork Belly Bao appetizer as her entrée.
I think she is going to continue this trend. She definitely has a mind of her own. ::yes::
Despite a few missteps we enjoyed our meal overall, but I think Happy Hour is more of bluezoo’s sweet spot. All of our food was good – but not outstanding – and I think I would have been happier with some cocktails and apps at the bar.
The main courses sound a bit disappointing. I've always heard good things about their seafood but it sounds like it wasn't anything special - except the risotto. ;)

Jason's favorite restaurant - that is really hard. I'll make a wild (wrong) guess and say 50's Prime Time.

Funny you comment on the risotto. I have been wanting to try bluezoo for a while because I’ve eaten at one of Todd English’s restaurants in Connecticut and had the best risotto ever.

I am staying at Boardwalk in January and will be sure to give it a try this time!

Raglan Road-where else can you wait over an hour for substandard food with a side of diddle-de-dee music! No?? Really I have no earthly clue :confused3
:rotfl2: I don't think I mentioned it but we randomly ended up here in September. It was the day we were leaving and we were planning on trying a few things at some quick service places but were put off by the crowds. Raglan had a reservation so off we went. It wasn't bad, but not great either. And sadly no diddle-de-dee music

Love that Casey is guarding the cookies. Those eyes could whither you on the spot if you tried to steal a crumb or two :rotfl: Wise girl!
Do not get between this girl and her dessert!

I HATE the butter at bluezoo! I'm increasingly thinking we were separated at birth. 😆
:rotfl2: Two of a kind we are :drinking1

I agree their happy hour is excellent (& to still offer "deals" is pretty unusual at Disney!). Crab nachos! They have what I think is my favorite cocktail on property - Serenity (which I refer to as Serenity Now! -- any Seinfeld fans out there?).
Happy hour is definitely the way to go. I'll have to try the Serenity next time. Don't think I've had that one before. Though in our separated at birth vein love me some Seinfeld. In fact our best friends had a beach house that they named Serenity Now. We also had another friend with a condo in Ft. Lauderdale which we affectionately called Del Boca Vista.

'm hoping that as things continue to return to normal they will go back to their full menu. I am really missing a tuna tartar dish with sriracha they did with dry ice.
Oh that sounds fabulous and like something we would love.

Happy Thanksgiving!!
Gobble Gobble Christine

This sounds amazing! I'm sorry it was too sweet....it must have been crazy sweet for her to think that!!
It had to have been. I cannot fathom how sweet it must have been because its to sweet are words that have never crossed her lips

I do like the idea of just having drinks and appetizers here...those looked really good...especially the risotto!
Happy Hour is definitely the way to go. They have both drink and app specials, which is a rarity in WDW

Hmm. Could it be fennel seed in with that butter? They certainly have an anise flavour and the particles in your photo seem suspiciously similar. Whatever it was, they should keep it away from the guests’ precious butter!
Good call. I'm guessing that is what it must have been. Though clearly it should not have been in the butter

peaking of precious, that last photo with Casey had me channeling a certain creepy voice from a certain distinctly unDisney film about a piece of round jewellery. I admit that I have the same reaction to baked goods. My precious, indeed. :rolleyes1
:rotfl: Spot on.

I think she is going to continue this trend. She definitely has a mind of her own. ::yes::
That she does. Though I'm not sure my wallet is ready for this trend. My waist is gonna miss my sharing partner too

Jason's favorite restaurant - that is really hard. I'll make a wild (wrong) guess and say 50's Prime Time.
Not 50's but you are in the right park

Funny you comment on the risotto. I have been wanting to try bluezoo for a while because I’ve eaten at one of Todd English’s restaurants in Connecticut and had the best risotto ever.
Sounds like Todd must know what he is doing in the risotto department. We've eaten at one of his restaurants in Vegas and it was the best carpaccio we've ever had. I'm always hoping something similar will end up on the Orlando menu

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter