The Darling Family June 2010 Trip Report: When are the Parents Showing Up?11/5 New TR

This is the first review I've read of the auto train, and I'm so glad you posted it. I've always wondered what it was like, since we've considered it in the past. It sounds like doing without the sleeper car would be very do-able! :thumbsup2

That is the first account I have read of the auto train. Interested to hear about the rest of your journey.

Kinda neat to fall asleep and wake up in Florida!:)

Your auto train experience sounds great!:thumbsup2 We've looked into it a few times... (trying to save money instead of flying but also not wanting to make the long drive to Florida ourselves) Hmm...it sounds like it may be a great alternative! It would be so wonderful knowing that when you woke up, you would already be in Florida!! :woohoo:

:laughing:That's how my boys are with their DS's! They never want to put them down...especially when we travel!

Can't wait for more!!popcorn::

What a fun start to your adventure! Had to LOL about the "apple juice" that wasn't! :rotfl2:

I, just like the others, am glad that you posted about the auto train. I've never been on one but have considered it. It sounds like a neat way to travel.

We have always toyed with the idea of the auto train. I'm glad you had a great experience. Were there changing rooms to change in?? What about the bathrooms? Are they like airplanes?? Just curious??
There are changing rooms that are relatively spacious. The bathrooms are similar to airplane bathrooms, except for the handicapped bathroom which was huge. We never had a wait to use the restrooms either. Plus the changing rooms and restroom were right outside our compartment doors which was nice. Those on the upper level had to walk downstairs to the restrooms.

This is the first review I've read of the auto train, and I'm so glad you posted it. I've always wondered what it was like, since we've considered it in the past. It sounds like doing without the sleeper car would be very do-able! :thumbsup2
I would definitely reserve a lower level coach seat (they are the same price.) I don't know if sleeping would have been as easy if people were walking through the cars during the night like they do on the upper level.

That is the first account I have read of the auto train. Interested to hear about the rest of your journey.

Kinda neat to fall asleep and wake up in Florida!:)
It was fun to wake up and be there. Not as quick as a plane, but definitely beats driving down!

Your auto train experience sounds great!:thumbsup2 We've looked into it a few times... (trying to save money instead of flying but also not wanting to make the long drive to Florida ourselves) Hmm...it sounds like it may be a great alternative! It would be so wonderful knowing that when you woke up, you would already be in Florida!! :woohoo:

:laughing:That's how my boys are with their DS's! They never want to put them down...especially when we travel!

Can't wait for more!!popcorn::
The train is a great alternative, but I'm not sure it's much cheaper than flying. At least not from Baltimore. Of course the big advantage is that you have your own car when you get there. I think the DS thing with boys is pretty universal. My boys make friends everywhere they go if they have their DS's:rolleyes:

What a fun start to your adventure! Had to LOL about the "apple juice" that wasn't! :rotfl2:
The "apple juice" incident was pretty funny!

I, just like the others, am glad that you posted about the auto train. I've never been on one but have considered it. It sounds like a neat way to travel.
I think the auto train from VA to FL is the only one in the country. All of the other Amtraks don't let you take your car with you. Which is too bad because that is a great convenience.

What a fun way to travel! :thumbsup2 I would like to try that someday! I also really like Chick Fil A., the only problem is the closest one to us is an hour away!:sad2:

I'm here! :yay: So happy you started!

I am glad the auto train was a great way to travel. I would definitely be willing to try it if we lived closer to it.

Oh, the auto train! Never been, but always wondered about this!

Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

What a cool way to ride! I know it's not much cheaper, but you have room to move around. It was probably even better since it wasn't crowded! Can you take drinks and things with you in a cooler? (I don't think it comes anywhere near us so that we could take it, but it sounds interesting!).

Can't wait to hear about when you woke up the next morning!

Yay, you started! LOL at the "apple juice."

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with a Chick-Fil-A problem...;)

What a fun way to travel! :thumbsup2 I would like to try that someday! I also really like Chick Fil A., the only problem is the closest one to us is an hour away!:sad2:
It would save me some money if our closest Chick Fil A was an hour away:rolleyes1

I'm here! :yay: So happy you started!

I am glad the auto train was a great way to travel. I would definitely be willing to try it if we lived closer to it.
It's too bad they don't have more of them throughout the country. It really was pleasant.

Oh, the auto train! Never been, but always wondered about this!

Looking forward to reading about your adventures!
Welcome! I'm looking forward to telling you about my adventures:goodvibes

What a cool way to ride! I know it's not much cheaper, but you have room to move around. It was probably even better since it wasn't crowded! Can you take drinks and things with you in a cooler? (I don't think it comes anywhere near us so that we could take it, but it sounds interesting!).

Can't wait to hear about when you woke up the next morning!
A cooler would have been no problem. We brought waters and a few snacks. They also sold some food up in the lounge car, but I didn't really pay attention to what. We were good with the 2 meals that were included in the fare. Never really even ate any of the snacks.

Yay, you started! LOL at the "apple juice."

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with a Chick-Fil-A problem...;)
The last thing I need is an enabler for my Chick Fil A problem;)

Great start. The auto train sounds like a fun way to travel. Was it crowded?
Wendy looks so grown up from last years pictures!

Your auto train adventure sounds very fun! :cool1: How comparable is the price for all of you to fly and rent a vehicle? I'm assuming it's quite a bit cheaper to do the auto train? Or maybe it isn't but you were planning on driving back so it wouldn't be as expensive anyway.

I had heard the discussion about the autotrain on the podcast, but had no clue about it and how it worked. How long does it take you to get to Orlando?
I understand the chick fil a habit - it is hard to avoid it here in Atlanta!
Have you tried the spicey sammich yet?

:wave:

That is hilarious about the wine and the kids...and Wendy keeping a close eye on you. LOL!!! :rotfl::rotfl:

Great start. The auto train sounds like a fun way to travel. Was it crowded?
Wendy looks so grown up from last years pictures!
It wasn't crowded at all. In fact I'd say only about 60% of the seats were full. That made it very nice and easy to spread out.

Your auto train adventure sounds very fun! :cool1: How comparable is the price for all of you to fly and rent a vehicle? I'm assuming it's quite a bit cheaper to do the auto train? Or maybe it isn't but you were planning on driving back so it wouldn't be as expensive anyway.
The train isn't really any cheaper than flying, but we did have our own car down there. Now if we rented a car down there the train would be cheaper. But if you stay on property you don't need a car though it is a nice conveience. Since we were planning on driving back it was cheaper than flying roundtrip. I think we figured overall thetrain was about $250 more than the total cost of driving. That is factoring in the cost of food, gas and a night in a hotel.

I had heard the discussion about the autotrain on the podcast, but had no clue about it and how it worked. How long does it take you to get to Orlando?
I understand the chick fil a habit - it is hard to avoid it here in Atlanta!
Have you tried the spicey sammich yet?
The train leaves Northern VA at 4:00 and arrives in FL around 9:00. So that is 17 hours. A bit longer than driving, but you get to sleep through lots of it and it is much more relaxing.
We've actually had the spicey sandwich at our Chick Fil A for about a year now. I think we were a trial restaraunt. My DH gets it everytime.

Jumping aboard....no pun intended:lmao:
:welcome: Glad you're joining the adventure!

:wave:

That is hilarious about the wine and the kids...and Wendy keeping a close eye on you. LOL!!! :rotfl::rotfl:

It was pretty funny. Especially the kids' reaction.:rolleyes:

What an absolutely fun way to travel! Plus you have your car at the end of the journey (no car rental fees) - plus sleeping to the sound of the train going over the tracks :thumbsup2 I remember our trip aboard Amtrack from Iowa to Oregon when we moved (I was 8 yrs old) - I loved it!

You may have enticed me to try this since we live in Virginia. Do you know if there is a stop in Fredericksburg?

What an absolutely fun way to travel! Plus you have your car at the end of the journey (no car rental fees) - plus sleeping to the sound of the train going over the tracks :thumbsup2 I remember our trip aboard Amtrack from Iowa to Oregon when we moved (I was 8 yrs old) - I loved it!

You may have enticed me to try this since we live in Virginia. Do you know if there is a stop in Fredericksburg?

It really was a fun way to travel. My kids said they actually preferred it to flying. I wouldn't go that far because a flight is only 2 hours. But it was a huge bonus to arrive in Florida with our own car. The train makes no stops. It just goes from Lorton to Sanford. I definitely would recommend it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter