The CM actors in WS Italy

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
I figured someone here would know the story behind the masked CM actors/actresses in Italy.
You know the ones -- in the beautiful masks, velvet clothing, and dressed as in the renaissance era.
I haven't seen the whole spiel. But the one woman seems to be the Queen, as the other characters treat her respect. (Or almost as if she is a bride.) ??
Just seems like there is a lot of symbolism going on. And knowing Disney it is something traditional -- down to the bubbles. :confused:
So what is the deal?

I don't know specifics but the masquerade is supposed to represent the annual Carnivale celebration that takes place every year in Venice. Carnivale is basically several nights of masquerade parties and the elaborate costumes at Epcot are typical of what you might find in Venice. As I said, I'm not certain of the symbolism of each specific costume but I'm sure if you did a search on Carnivale you could get some additional information and see similar costumes.

I always thought they were from Italian Comedia del'Arte from 16th-17th century Italy. Masks were used a great deal in the performances based upon stock characters that always showed up in every play. But I've only seen them parade about so - I'm sure they may be from the Venice Carnivale. But some of the ideas from the masks may have come from Comedia del'Arte --I'd like to think that being that this art has influenced modern day clowning--And since I am a professional clown I always felt a connection. O.k. that's my two cents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter