The clampetts official dxdp review UPDATED...6/14..Flying Fish/chef's

Joining in. I love Citricos and I had the braised ribs 2 years ago and it was really yummy. I used to live in NJ. Your daughter is so adorable. Can't wait for more yummy reviews and pictures.

Joining in. I love Citricos and I had the braised ribs 2 years ago and it was really yummy. I used to live in NJ. Your daughter is so adorable. Can't wait for more yummy reviews and pictures.

Welcome Pooh! Where in NJ did you live? I'm originally from Hunterdon county. So TN is very similar to that part of NJ just with bigger mountains LOL. Thanks for joining!

So today is day 3, AK day! I have to say this was my favorite park, but we won’t get into that as this is about the FOOD!!!
IMG_0001.jpg

We woke up early and got to the park for an 805am reservation for Tusker house. This was our first character breakfast of the week.
We sat at our table immediately and our server arrived instantaneously and explained the buffet to us. He also poured us all some kind of juice. Now, we are not juice drinkers. In fact, I think I still have a ½ gallon of OJ in my fridge from some recipe I made at xmas. I just wanted coffee, just give me my caffeine and no one gets hurt. Well he convinced us to try the juice and omg it was wonderful!! I loved it, in fact, drank 3 glasses of it.
This buffet was amazing. In hindsight, I’m a little disappointed that we did this as our first breakfast buffet because I ended up comparing every other breakfast to it and none even came close. There was such an assortment of foods. There were a ton of quiches and casseroles and I tried every one of them. Yes, I like quiche, I’m turning into my mother. On my plate I had the ham and cheese frittata, vegetable frittata and the beef bobtie quiche. The bobtie thing is hiding under my bacon. This was the only quiche I wasn’t sure about. It had a weird flavor, almost like there were raisins in it and I dont do raisins under any circumstance. However, the ham and cheese and the vegetable were amazing. Light and fluffy and cheesy
IMG_0018.jpg

Jr had....you guessed it!! Biscuits and gravy!! I guess even in Africa they have biscuits and gravy. Oh and don’t forget the gourmet tater tots and corn muffin..... could he not find something a little more exotic? I mean, I make this for him at home. But, his belly was full and he was happy. How much more of a review can I write on tater tots?
Jr’s
IMG_0017.jpg

Shelby wasn’t too adventurous this morning. (sorry to disappoint). She had the mickey waffles, ham and cheese frittata.
shelby
IMG_0019.jpg

The best part of the meal....DESSERT....yes I even did dessert at breakfast.
Dessert
IMG_0020.jpg

I think I need to explain that I am kinda weird about certain foods. For me, rice does not belong in pudding, it belongs in chinese food. Bread does not belong with pudding, it belongs on a sandwich. Needless to say, I really don’t do bread or rice pudding. With that said, let me tell you that I spotted the Warm cinnamon-banana bread pudding with vanilla sauce. It had all these pecans on top and just looked and smelled too yummy, I had to try it. This is a buffet after all.
OMG, this was my favorite part of the meal. It wasn’t too rich. It was nice and light. The vanilla sauce topped it off nicely. This was the perfect ending to a perfect breakfast.....
The character interaction was good. At the time, we thought it was real good until we went to some of the other ones. However, this morning started Shelby’s addiction to autographs, so it was all good. :)

IMG_0024.jpg

Lunch at Animal Kingdom. Well, we were on a pretty good run of meals. Until now. We had just ridden River Rapids and were starved so we stopped at the first place we could find and that was Yak and Yeti counter service. There was a huge line so we figured we were in for a treat. As we waited in line we looked at the menu and for some reason nothing really “hit me”. That should have been my first clue.
When we lived in Toledo, there was a wonderful chinese restaurant that JR loved. Yes, something ethnic that he loved. He only ever ordered the chicken fried rice with “2 dollar extra meat”. Anyway, i discourage him from ever ordering chicken fried rice from anywhere else cause nothing ever holds a candle to the place in Toledo. So we ordered Honey chicken, Sweet and Sour Pork and the chicken sandwich for Shelby.
**sigh** This was horrible. It was borderline inedible. JR waited in line for our food while Shelby and I went to find a table. Again, I thank God I brought wipes with me cause the tables were disgusting. I wouldn’t even let her sit before I wiped it 3 or 4 times (I’m gonna need to buy more wipes if this keeps up)
Shelby didnt like the chicken sandwich. She said there was “stuff” on it. “stuff” to her is salad and mayo (or some kind of sauce). I ended up eating her sandwich and she ate my Honey chicken.
IMG_0203.jpg

The sandwich was “ok”. The chicken was good, I guess. But it wasn’t Disney and it was nothing special. It was edible.
I didn’t take pics of the honey chicken or the sweet and sour pork. I dont know why. Sorry. But let me tell you, maybe these dishes wouldve been better as a dessert. The Sweet and Sour pork was all sweet, no sour. The Honey chicken was sickening sweet. I poured the salt on it and still couldn’t cut the sweet. Neither JR or I could eat it. Shelby did eat my honey chicken, but she’s a kid and anything sweet is good to her.
I was so disappointed because I had heard nothing but rave reviews about Yak and Yeti. Maybe we just happened to pick the 3 worst dishes. Maybe the Table Service is better. But after that counter service I would be really scared to try the table service and waste a credit on it.
Well, we still have Narcoossee’s tonight to look forward to... chalk it up to a lesson learned.

I'm really enjoying your reviews! Sorry about the Yak and Yeti CS. I agree, it's not great, but the TS is MUCH better! We had a terrific meal there. Tusker House looks really good. We don't do many character meals anymore now that the kids are older:sad1: but we have to give that a try.

Keep up the great report!!:goodvibes

Dinner at Narcoossee’s. Let me first say, I was so excited about this dinner. It has mixed reviews here on Dis but I didnt care. I wanted Lobster. Down here in TN, you can’t get fresh seafood. And even when you drive 1.15 hour to Knoxville to the fish store you pay an arm and a leg for anything and it pales in comparison to the seafood I am used to in NJ. So needless to say I was sooooooo excited, especially after that horrid lunch.
IMG_0288.jpg

Our table wasn’t quite ready when we got there so we went to the bar. By the way, it is kid friendly. I told my husband that I was finally in the mood for a cocktail (took me this long to get over the aftermath of that graduation party). So I ordered some kind of fruity cocktail which is very out of character for me. I’m a beer girl. (yeah, there’s that hillbilly coming out in me). But I figured that if I’m in this fancy restaurant, I may as well get a fancy drink. JR ordered some sort of martini that had pineapple juice in it. Which is also out of character. We felt very “northern”. Shelby wanted in on the act, so I asked if they had any specialty drinks for her. The bartender was great and made a big “to-do” about making her a “Mickey Mouse”. It was cute and Shelby felt included in the treat. Here is their drinks, mine didn’t look like anything special, but let me tell you, that bartender definately did NOT have a light hand with the alcohol.
IMG_0290.jpg

Our table was ready before he even finished making our drinks so we moved on. We ordered and the waitress brought us bread. I dont know whether we were just starved or the bread was that good but we ate all of it.
Shelby ordered the calamari. She has never had calamari before. I told her “poppop loves calamari” and that is all it took for her to order it. She really loved it. I had to scrape off the “stuff” but she ate every bit of it after that. I tried it and it was very good. It was not at all chewy and had a really nice flavor. It had a slight bite from the pepperocini relish which surprisingly Shelby enjoyed. Jr even took a bite and liked it. But then again....it was fried. So of course he would enjoy it.
IMG_0293.jpg

I ordered the raw tuna. Its not on allears menu and I forget exactly what the name was. It might have been called the Tuna Tartar. It was really really good. The tuna was not at all mushy and the various flavors were blended very well. I do remember that that was a fried plantain on top which added a really nice crunchy contrast to the dish.
IMG_0292.jpg

Jr had a really hard time trying to find an appetizer here. We finally asked the server and she suggested the ceaser salad. (?) weird suggestion, but ok. We didn’t take a picture of this. It came out and was big huge leaves of romaine lettuce mixed with dressing. Not cut up lettuce, no parmesan cheese, no croutons. Just a big head of romaine lettuce. JR was not impressed. He said the dressing wasn’t even that good and that Red Lobster’s ceasar salad was better.
Uh oh.....not a good sign. My husband who as a rule doesnt even eat vegetables unless it ends in “tater” is discriminating a ceasar salad.

Dinner came....I already warned you I was ordering the lobster. Well, Shelby did too. We just couldn’t resist. JR ordered the Filet Mignon.
IMG_0297.jpg

Jr orders his meat well done. I know I know don’t flame him. He said that this filet was the best he has ever had and didn’t even need A1. (quite the compliment because he has to put A-1 on everything except my moms steaks) It was so tender that he could cut it with a fork. No need for the steak knife. He raved about the flavor, the texture.....what? Did he just tell me about the texture? Then he continues to tell me that the seasonings were perfect. What? Are you really talking about texture and seasonings? This is so out of character. Usually, he just eats and says “its good”. I blame Narcoossee’s for what is to become the Next Top chef judge wannabe.
Shelby and my lobster was amazing. The only complaint I had was that my claws weren’t cracked enough and I really struggled trying to get it open.
IMG_0296.jpg

What was strange however, was that shelby really didn’t like the claws. They had that white residue on them that she isn’t used to. But she loved the tail. Now, jr has not tried “real lobster” as he called it. So he tried a piece of claw and said “not bad”. What? Ok Narcoosee, who is this man and what have you done with my husband. Jr didn’t like the tail tho. He said it was stringy and chewy. I LOVED IT. I ate Shelby’s claws and mine. The lobster was sweet and cooked to perfection. Not overdone and chewy. It was just right. And for this ex-northerner, it was exactly the seafood fix I needed.
Time for a drink!!!! Yep I’m feeling good now. Now I wanted a cool looking drink. I wanted to be all metropolitan too. So I ordered one of those glowing things and JR had....ok maybe he doesn’t want me to announce this. He had a Mickey Mouse with Shelby!! Hahahaha....ok he did have them put some Rum in his ....but it was still funny.
IMG_0295.jpg

Dessert!!!! Woo hooo not sure if this meal could get any better but it did.
I had the creme brulle duo.... coconut and keylime. The keylime was a little too limey for me, but the coconut was good. Nice and creamy with that yummy hard crunchy top.
IMG_0299.jpg

Shelby had the chocolate gateau. Quite fancy and she cleared her plate. So I’m guessing it was good, it was gone before I could get a taste.
IMG_0301.jpg

JR had the almond crusted cheesecake. He said it was the best he ever had and is still raving about it. It was creamy and delicious. The almond crust added a nice contrast. (do you believe his description? Where on earth did my husband go?).
IMG_0300.jpg

Overall, we had an awesome meal. Our server was a little lack luster but just attribute that to being busy. It took a long time for her to come back and get a drink order and actually a long time for her to do anything. I was a waitress/bartender for 15 years so I get it and I don’t judge. I’ve had bad nights myself. Nothing short of a natural disaster couldve ruined this meal for us. It was amazing and I recommend Narcoossee’s to everyone!!!

Love love loving all these reviews, so many that I keep saying 'see I told you we should have tried there' already shortlisting for next year as all adrs are booked for this year lol.

"OK, so we are staying at the FQ and what would breakfast be without beignets. We have read so much about these that of course we had to try them."

We stayed at French Quarter on our last trip and fell in love with it. Of course we had to try the beignets and my thoughts were the same. Why is it empty in the middle :confused3 They didn't live up to the hype and we didn't try them again.

For the TN mosquitoes, we bought a good bug zapper and it really helps. But you have to clean the dead skeeters (southern twang lol...) every couple of days.

Good luck on your boards and looking forward to the rest of your reviews:thumbsup2

we lived in Morris county. We have a 8:05 ADR for Animal kingdom and we love Tusker house breakfast (I don't like OJ but I love the juice there and love the breakfast too)...this is a must ever Disney trip. I'm so glad you love Narcoossee's b/c its one of my favorite and I always order the Maine lobster. I'm still going back and forth with Ohana (my son is not into Stitch and lilo so breakfast is not really an option) plus I think my son would enjoy the games they play at Ohana. Did your daughter like it?

She rode expedition everest 3x in the single rider line.

She's 7, right? My DD just turned 7, and is wanting to try the single-rider lines. Did you do anything special for easing her into it? (I think we're going to station a non-riding grandparent at the exit - the EE gift shop has always been chaos when we've gone through.)

Thanks for the review of the Y&Y chicken sandwich. Normally, that would be something I'd order, but I don't like mayo-y "stuff" on mine, either. We've never had very good food at the CS there.

She's 7, right? My DD just turned 7, and is wanting to try the single-rider lines. Did you do anything special for easing her into it? (I think we're going to station a non-riding grandparent at the exit - the EE gift shop has always been chaos when we've gone through.)

Thanks for the review of the Y&Y chicken sandwich. Normally, that would be something I'd order, but I don't like mayo-y "stuff" on mine, either. We've never had very good food at the CS there.

Yep Shelby was 7 in February. We all rode expedition everest together the first time. Then, to be honest, I was done with it. Shelby wanted to do it again and JR said well, we could do the single rider line, it will be a shorter wait. Shelby said OK!!! and off they went. I wandered the gift shop until they were done. (can only look at Yeti pins for so long LOL). Shelby is an adrenline junkie. Bad! It really scares me that she will be driving in 9 short years. I really have to tame her, but JR was in the Army so I think its just in her blood. LOL Good luck with your daughter, I'm sure she will be just fine if she goes on it one with someone.

we lived in Morris county. We have a 8:05 ADR for Animal kingdom and we love Tusker house breakfast (I don't like OJ but I love the juice there and love the breakfast too)...this is a must ever Disney trip. I'm so glad you love Narcoossee's b/c its one of my favorite and I always order the Maine lobster. I'm still going back and forth with Ohana (my son is not into Stitch and lilo so breakfast is not really an option) plus I think my son would enjoy the games they play at Ohana. Did your daughter like it?

We didn't go to Ohana this trip. Its one of the places I want to try but couldn't fit it in this trip. Tusker house is now my favorite breakfast food but 1900 Park Fare was my favorite character interaction. I wish I could combine the two. that would be AMAZING!!!

"OK, so we are staying at the FQ and what would breakfast be without beignets. We have read so much about these that of course we had to try them."

We stayed at French Quarter on our last trip and fell in love with it. Of course we had to try the beignets and my thoughts were the same. Why is it empty in the middle :confused3 They didn't live up to the hype and we didn't try them again.

For the TN mosquitoes, we bought a good bug zapper and it really helps. But you have to clean the dead skeeters (southern twang lol...) every couple of days.

Good luck on your boards and looking forward to the rest of your reviews:thumbsup2

We loved FQ. My husband said even after seeing the other resorts, he would still go back there. As for the beignets? I don't get it LOL....they were good but maybe the hype cause they are unique to FQ? I dont know, I wanted some nice custard, or cheese, or chocolate ...Did you about choke when you inhaled the powdered sugar cause I know I did LOL

Ok....here I go...."I ain't cleanin no dead skeeters" (that was pretty dang good if I do say so myself). I try citronella sometimes but I just think we are destined to scratch LOL

Love love loving all these reviews, so many that I keep saying 'see I told you we should have tried there' already shortlisting for next year as all adrs are booked for this year lol.

LOL thx chocolateMinnie, glad you are enjoying them. I am enjoying writing them. One thing I learned from these ADR's is that you can't always listen to what everyone says. We took some chances, some disappointed and some we loved. Its all personal taste. We had mostly great experiences. can't wait to hear your list of ADR"S!!!!

I, too, can't wait to try the bread pudding at Tusker House. Ohana's on our last trip was the first time I've EVER tried bread pudding, and I loved it, so I'm excited to try another one :).

You are just the sweetest family! I just love your reviews!

Your DD is so fun! We also have a DD8 that is an extreme ride junkie. Thankfully I have a DH that can keep up with her! I am with you, one ride on EE is more than enough. DD actually insists on waiting for the front row on it! :scared1: She doesn't care if it takes an extra 1/2 hour...she wants to be front and center for that crazy ride. :upsidedow

You are just the sweetest family! I just love your reviews!

Your DD is so fun! We also have a DD8 that is an extreme ride junkie. Thankfully I have a DH that can keep up with her! I am with you, one ride on EE is more than enough. DD actually insists on waiting for the front row on it! :scared1: She doesn't care if it takes an extra 1/2 hour...she wants to be front and center for that crazy ride. :upsidedow

LOL you've got one too!! Thank God for the hubbies. We are in trouble when they start driving. Think we are gonna need crash helmets and lots of bubble wrap to put around them

I, too, can't wait to try the bread pudding at Tusker House. Ohana's on our last trip was the first time I've EVER tried bread pudding, and I loved it, so I'm excited to try another one :).

We didnt do Ohana's but from what I keep hearing thats gonna have to be a must for the next trip. Especially if they have bread pudding like Tuskers but i dont know, Tusker's might be hard to beat LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter