The "best value"at a Disney resort

S

susy

I have been doing endless agonizing over our upcoming trip. I am one that hates putting all of my eggs in one basket-especially when things come up to ruin your very carefully planned trip, like horrible weather or a very sick child. I don't want to deplete my vacation fund on one trip because what if I really "need" to get away again (don't want to do the credit card thing), so I've been crunching numbers for days-I know there are those who can relate and those who don't have to crunch numbers and can splurge away. This is particularly for those of us who crunch-

my overall best value on property was ....

WL woods view

Some might say the moderates in terms of amenities, but I was considering many factors and a "jaw-dropping "WOW" factor upon arrival" was one of the criteria. WL definitely has that.

I chose WL because of:

Theming
You do feel in the middle of the disney magic, without being overun with foot traffic
it does have a quiet pool (unlike AKL)
deluxe amenities
activities in and around the lodge-too numerous to list
short walk or surry bike ride or boat ride to FW-free petting zoo and pony ride for $3, free campfire/movies
EWP
overall ambience
smallness of resort (not too much walking)

con could be:
transportation, BUT the boat to MK,FW, and CR (for Chef Mickey's) are very nice and the bus to AK only stops at the GF (on the way) It is the first bus stop at AK and you get dropped off and picked up first.

rooms- small, 4 max,could have more of a deluxe decor, but it does fit the theming very well.

I picked woods view because it the cheapest (did lots of numbers crunching like I said) room at any deluxe without having to look at a parking lot or roof (yuck). I consider view to be very important when you have a balcony.We actually saw fireworks from the MK from our room and we were only on the second floor. For parents with little ones who want a nice vacation with lots to do, but don't have a lot of money to spend, WL woods view is my personal pick!

I just switched to the WL for Christmas from the GF for many of the reasons you state. I didn't want to break my budget with GF this year but still wanted something nice and Christmasy.

www.mousesavers.com just voted WL as the best overall value for a WDW deluxe resort. It you haven't checked that out, you may want to do so.

For best value overall I still nominate the All Stars and Pop Century, hence their official label as "value resorts".

You get Disney theming, (actually quite good) Disney transportation, Disney extra magic hours, a pool, a place to buy food. Even some rooms have a secluded woods view.

Admittedly the rooms are smaller, a fifth person can't stay in the same room, there is just one bathroom sink per room, and there are more people per square yard resort-wide so during peak times it seems crowded. But how much time do you (will you) spend at the resort awake?

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Next trip: August 2003, Coronado Springs. Would have chosen Pop Century except that I am attending a convention right at Coronado Springs.

Originally posted by seashoreCM
But how much time do you (will you) spend at the resort awake?

For me, that is the key. We spend A LOT of time at the resort (afterall, I am on vacation!) I just need more amenities than the values offer. That's also the reason DW has written off AKL. She just doesn't like the lack of amenities. We jog and play tennis, and we prefer the quiet pool in most cases. And no trip to WDW is complete without renting a boat for an afternoon.

I'd agree that WL is one of the best values on property, though I would add the Contemporary Garden Wings as being an exceptional value as well. The rooms are big, transportation is better, and the Tennis is great!

You know I bet I would really love WL if I didn't live surrounded by evergreens all year anyway. I would definately say it is a great deal for people from climates other than mine. But when I go to FL, I want tropical, not woodsy.

On our honeymoon in 2002, there was a special and it was actually cheaper for us to stay at the WL than at the Carribean beach. It was a few hundred more to stay at Poly, so that's what we did.

So, Susy, since your from FL, I say you definately picked a great deal!

The beds at WL are also larger than beds at the moderates. You'll enjoy WL, have a good time.

If you want all the deluxe resort amenities plus a wonderful location to MK, fireworks, nighttime shows, and wonderful dining options--you can not beat WL. It is a great value, especially when compared to the prices at the other deluxe resorts.
Just an interesting tidbit.....when WL first opened it was not considered a deluxe resort but sort of a step up from the moderates but a half of step down from the deluxe resorts. I forget what the terminology Disney used for WL when it first opened, but it was definitly not classified as a deluxe resort. At some point in time, this changed but I think the price still reflects this. AKL is the same way. They are both beautiful, wonderful resorts but due to the fact that they do not have walking access or monorail access to major parks as do all the other deluxe resorts; they are priced slightly lower.
We love WL and also AKL and love the great values that can be had at both of these resorts!

The "slightly lower" rates at WL and AKL are $100 a night lower !!!:eek:

We just came back from the BC and it was a FANTASTIC vacation, but I booked a standard room adn it was overlooking a roof.Literally. My DH, who is a plumber, was able to name all of the pipes, yeah! Our woods view room at WL was so nice, with the otter pond....for a LOT less

I know what you mean about the tropical vs. woodsy theming...Here's a real hoot: When we stayed at CSR last year, we were in the Cabanas section , which reminded me of CBR. Well, Dh and I were hanging out at the quiet pool, which is pretty much a pool surrounded by palm trees. Well, the theming went right over my head, because I said to DH, "This pool really has no theming. "My Dh said, "It has a tropical theme." Oh yeah!

As far as the value resorts, they are great for what they offer and perfect for a quick weekend. We spend more time at our resort now (since we've already been so many times). We always took pool breaks, but now we often go to a park for the morning and then come home to our resort to stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter