The Bear Necessities! April 2019 W.I.S.H Goals

From left to right (and biggest to smallest...) I present Madam Marshmallow VonFluffbutt, Naughty, and Mini Marebear.

So cute!!...and I love "Madam Marshmallow VonFluffbutt" as a name!

Side note, has anyone else noticed the board being really slow off-and-on lately?

Yeah. It does that once in a while, and I have yet to figure out a pattern. It's definitely worse on my (admittedly old) iPad than the PC, but that's about all I've got. My biggest beef right now is actually that the ad configuration has changed, and now it's covering up some of the buttons for me - including the search function!

My woohoo today is a fun (and exercise-filled) outing. We're all on school break this week, and I took DS and his friend to a ropes course:

ropes pic - small.JPG

My woohoo is that coworkers have noticed and commented on my weight loss. It was kind of shocking to me because I feel like I've hit a bit of a plateau this month. But maybe since I'm not hiding under the big sweaters, now they are able to see the difference. Anyway, it was nice that they noticed and took time to say something.

Another woohoo...I'm off until Monday!!!

I have three woohoos today, and here they are!!!

Too cute!!!

I am woohooing ... that despite not losing for 3 weeks I really haven't gained either - I know, I feel like I am reaching for a woohoo right now :confused3

Tomorrow my sister has an appointment with the oncologist - so hopefully we will have some answers - hoping for good news but preparing for the worst.
Hoping for good news for your sister!

We are waiting for results for my sister in law and we are very anxious. It's very hard to wait isn't it?
And hoping for good news for your sister in law!

My woohoo today is a fun (and exercise-filled) outing. We're all on school break this week, and I took DS and his friend to a ropes course:

ropes-pic-small-jpg.395135
That looks like so much fun! We have done some indoor ropes courses. But I have been wanting to do an outdoor one in the Poconos. I'm definitely putting it on my summer bucket list this year!

If you joined in you are braver then me! Good for you :-)

My woohoo is that coworkers have noticed and commented on my weight loss. It was kind of shocking to me because I feel like I've hit a bit of a plateau this month. But maybe since I'm not hiding under the big sweaters, now they are able to see the difference. Anyway, it was nice that they noticed and took time to say something.

That's awesome - its such a good feeling isn't it? :D

Okay got some good news on the sister front this morning... NOT cancer ... she has Graves Disease (involves the thyroid) and gotten a rare effect of Graves Ophthalmopathy - she has to see an endocrinologist now to see what happens next, medication, possible surgery and possibly still some radiation treatment on the eye. She has to give up smoking it makes the Graves worse and she has to be closely monitored as it can increase risk of cancer in the future. Phew - we agreed we aren't even telling mum she was being tested for cancer.

To help me with my funk about weight loss this morning - I decided to re-measure myself and compare to the measurements I took on my first day of keto eating back in January - I have lost 8cms off my waist! and a couple off my hips and thighs. Even though the tape measure wasn't really showing it I know I have lost some off my chest - I can tell by my underwear fit - but thinking female fluctuations may be hampering the measurement. :P

Wahoo DH got me a really cute Disney cookie jar. It is something I have absolutely no use for, but he's sweet. I think I will take it to work and put the not so secret stash of chocolates in it.

Wahoo work today wasn't quite as stressful as yesterday. DS2 called from NYC and chatted so we were off schedule. Wahoo for Jimmy John's unwich.

Thankful Thursday!!! I am thankful for thieving, as in, I love Lizanne's ABC idea, so I'm stealing it!! Can you do a whole alphabet of gratitude! (If you can't it might just be because you are too busy with a full life, which is ALSO something to be grateful for!)

A- Australia... I have never been, but just the idea of a place that is so opposite from us in time zone and seasons, yet so like us in a lot of other ways is just intriguing. Then there's the fact that it's so BIG that people sometimes rediscover "extinct" species still alive there! Air conditioning, because... humidity!

B- Bella, which is a nickname for DD15; the beach- we are going to our little local one in about an hour to look for shells and beach glass

C- Chocolate, and Cristin (Mickeymom76), coupons

D- Dental floss, because seriously, have you ever needed it and NOT had it??? Drive-thrus--these made life SO much better when the kids were still in the carseats! Dishwasher, because hand-washing dishes sucks!

E- Easter break... sleeping in, blossoms, egg hunts, sleeping in...

F- Flexibility... unfortunately the physical version of this has mostly left me and continues to fade, but mentally, it's great to be able to adapt, given the mercurial nature of things! Freedom, in all its forms, and those who stand up for it.

G- Geochaching, even though I haven't done it lately... I love the idea; gardening, even though I'm terrible at it; Guacamole

H- Happy Grape, heat lamp (because it makes the baby chicks happy and quiet

I- Iced tea, and the fact that it hasn't spilled on me or Lizanne lately... Internet! because I love being able to research so many things even when the libraries are closed

J- … the first great love of my life was a J-name. I'm grateful to have met him, because he helped me discover a lot about who I am. I'm grateful to still know him on facebook, because it helps me remember that we have both grown and changed and while I will always love that 16 year old (TBH, he looked a LOT like Disney's Tarzan, so yeah...) I am thankful that it worked out the way it did, and not the way I wanted back then...

K- Kentucky Fried Chicken. Yep, I said it. Ethics aside, the grilled chicken is good when you are hungry for meat-and-salt and you want it NOW... my kids love the cruddy chemical mashed potatoes. H loves the overly salty/oniony green beans, but I have learned to copy those

L- Lizanne, Linda, Lena, Laura! "Less," which I can always use MORE of... The Library at my college, which is a good place to go to study, and I always seem to run into people there!

M- Magdalene, movies

N- Nicole; NOT hitting any deer with my car for almost 5 weeks straight!

O- Old things! Something about old houses, old buildings, even junk people are throwing out feels romantic... a connection to the past

P- Piglet1979, pay-at-the-pump gasoline-- for the same reason as drive-thrus. When the kids were in car seats, this saved me having to unbuckle/rebuckle them! (Not to mention, who wants to take a toddler into a convenience store filled with eye-level candy and toys????) Peanut butter

Q- Q-tips, same logic as dental floss. This is one that people seem to mention a lot when talking about the Appalachian trail. Personally, I'd carry the extra gram of weight and lose the extra 2cm of pack space to carry some of these with me.

R- Retirement!!! I think that even once I am through school, I may not go back to work full-time. Just even remembering how sick the stress used to make me is hard.

S- Sandy, Sam, Spencer, smartphone; The Smithsonian museums, which aren't far from here. I could happily spend HOURS the art and history museums... HATE the Air and Space Museum and am happy that as an adult, I am not being dragged there constantly on school field trips!!!

T- Travel (need to get me some more of that!)

U- Umbrellas!!! During my military years, I was in a service that WAS allowed to use umbrellas, and yes, there were times I smirked as I saw the others getting drenched in the summer rain. Back then I could only have blue or black umbrellas in uniform, so I would get the wildest ones I could for the rare hours I was NOT in uniform, and to this day I only buy pretty ones!

V- Vera Bradley and Vera Wang!!! Video games-- personally I don't play them, but they keep H busy and sometimes the kids, too. Plus did you hear that they are using some of the data from Assasins' Creed to research the rebuilding of Notre Dame??? Voluntary simplicity, which allows me a lot more freedom/flexibility in my life

W- Whole foods market-- I like their ethically sourced flowers and their hot bar. Plus, they sell the tea I like so I don't have to pay to have it shipped!

X- Xrays and MRIs, hoping for good results for all of you awaiting them

Y- Yard sales, because when they have nothing I want/need, they remind me that I have all I need and don't really want for much, either

Z- so I can have a funny name!

If you joined in you are braver then me! Good for you :-)

That's awesome - its such a good feeling isn't it? :D

Okay got some good news on the sister front this morning... NOT cancer ... she has Graves Disease (involves the thyroid) and gotten a rare effect of Graves Ophthalmopathy - she has to see an endocrinologist now to see what happens next, medication, possible surgery and possibly still some radiation treatment on the eye. She has to give up smoking it makes the Graves worse and she has to be closely monitored as it can increase risk of cancer in the future. Phew - we agreed we aren't even telling mum she was being tested for cancer.

To help me with my funk about weight loss this morning - I decided to re-measure myself and compare to the measurements I took on my first day of keto eating back in January - I have lost 8cms off my waist! and a couple off my hips and thighs. Even though the tape measure wasn't really showing it I know I have lost some off my chest - I can tell by my underwear fit - but thinking female fluctuations may be hampering the measurement. :P

Wonderful! Barbara Bush had Graves, I believe. The main thing is that it can be controlled with medication. Is she worried about quitting smoking? I have one friend that still smokes-I know she would like to quit but she has a lot of stress in her life and there never seems to be a good time to try.

I will try to complete my Thankful Thursday by Easter-

A for applesauce, homemade. Keeps me from eating something like cookies.

B for boys. I had a sister, my daughter was an only child, my sister had a girl-so when my grandson was born it was so much fun! He is my great joy.
Also, books! Gave me the best job, enriched my life every day and inspired my daughter to become an elementary school librarian!

C for crab legs. My go to summer meal when eating out in the summer.

D for dogs. We had basset hounds for over twenty years and loved them dearly. They added so much to our lives.

E for Easter. The reminder of renewal and rebirth.

F for flowers. After a long winter, what a lift to see them again!

G for grandchildren, mine and other peoples! Love the funny things they say and the joy they bring to our lives.

I haven't heard from the dr. yet but I was able to look up the results from the person who reads them. Not that I understood any of it. Somewhat good news is there is something wrong. We thought she could have been faking it (she is a good actress and has fooled us in the past). We now know she is not. The bad news is there is something wrong and the dr hasn't called yet so I don't what is exactly wrong yet. I tried to look some stuff up and the first thing I read says cancer. So I am trying to not look stuff up. It sounds like there is an issue with the growth plate by her tibia. Sounds like it is too narrow and something with the bottom of her not being normal. Think flat foot or something along those lines. It also sounds like some of this (or what the the internet says) can be related to Rheumatoid arthritis. This would not be a huge surprise as Autoimmune disorders run rapid on my mom's side. We have 1 with type 1 diabetes, 2 with celiacs, 2 with Lubus, 1 with RA, 1 with Vitiligo (loss of pigment). This is all between my grandma, mom and her siblings and one of my mom's cousins. My mom is 1 of 5 and they all have an autoimmune disorder except my youngest aunt. So now I wait and worry some more. I hope I hear from them soon.

I am not sure what I am thankful for today. I am a bit too stressed. I guess I am thankfully to finally be getting answers.

I looked at my son's a few years ago when he had one on his elbow fracture - and frankly couldn't tell what I was looking at anyway! and I did anatomy at uni - we did think we saw what looked like a ghosts face in there :rotfl2: I hope they get back to you asap!

DH got them pulled up last night. Had no clue what we were looking at. We were making fun of it. We saw a stagasorius (dinosaur with the point things on its back), a fat catapiller and a wolfs head. I didn't think I would be able to find anything but it is neat to see though.

I am so glad it is not cancer.

Thankful Thursday!!!
I am thankful to be off today.
I am thankful my kids have neighborhood kids that they like to hang out with so they can allow me some space (I love my kids dearly, but these teenage years are starting off a little rough...especially between my daughter and me. So its nice that she can get out of the house with her friends and I can get some stuff done around the house without us being in each others way ;)
I am thankful that it is nice today and my parents are bringing my baby nephew over soon so we can go for a walk.

So I am trying to not look stuff up.
My sister is a pediatrician and ALWAYS yells at me for looking things up medical conditions on the internet. I'm glad you will have some answers. Hoping the wait isn't too long and that the doctors call with a plan on how to help your daughter. I would also hope that you can stop worrying soon, but parents never really stop worrying about their kids ;)

Is she worried about quitting smoking? I have one friend that still smokes-I know she would like to quit but she has a lot of stress in her life and there never seems to be a good time to try.

Yes - it won't be easy - she started in her teens and has done it ALL her life and is now in her early 60s (there is a 16 year age gap between us!)

The bad news is there is something wrong and the dr hasn't called yet so I don't what is exactly wrong yet. I tried to look some stuff up and the first thing I read says cancer. So I am trying to not look stuff up. It sounds like there is an issue with the growth plate by her tibia. Sounds like it is too narrow and something with the bottom of her not being normal. Think flat foot or something along those lines. It also sounds like some of this (or what the the internet says) can be related to Rheumatoid arthritis. This would not be a huge surprise as Autoimmune disorders run rapid on my mom's side. We have 1 with type 1 diabetes, 2 with celiacs, 2 with Lubus, 1 with RA, 1 with Vitiligo (loss of pigment). This is all between my grandma, mom and her siblings and one of my mom's cousins. My mom is 1 of 5 and they all have an autoimmune disorder except my youngest aunt. So now I wait and worry some more. I hope I hear from them soon.

I am glad you are getting closer to an answer and then a plan. I also google - sometimes it helps sometimes its just plain scary. I googled my sisters symptoms a couple of months ago and told mum it could be Graves .... but then years ago an optometrist wanted DD checked for how her optic nerve came into her eye - when I googled that it was all tumours and brain swelling! She was in year 1 at the time I think - I was terrified - but it all turned out fine - just how she is made!
I agree with @MickeyMom76 - a parent always has something to worry about - the price of our overwhelming love for them I suppose....

Thankful Thursday!!!

A - America - a place I love to visit (but don't get to nearly enough!) - I have wonderful memories both before and with my kids - and $$$ permitting some more USA memories to be made in the future. Australia - living in a country where we are generally safe and have the opportunity to pursue our dreams freely.

B - Beach :beach: I live at the coast - the calming effect it has on me walking along it or picnicing with an awesome view. Books - I love a good read.

Butterflies – I love to see them fluttering around our garden.

C - Chocolate! It tastes so good - Chocolate hot cross buns! I don't like the traditional ones - but I have been good and really haven't had any lately - but I will have one over the Easter holiday. Cuddles with the kids.

D - Daughter - I have an amazing one - she is growing into a beautiful young lady (inside and out)- I have so many wonderful shared experiences with her. Disney - TV shows, movies, books lands - because it gave me good childhood memories that I then shared with and expanded on with my own children - the shared anticipation of a much loved movie being released, the joint experience of watching the movies/shows together, watching them dress up and pretend play when they were little - princesses and toy story characters were popular in my back yard! The healing and just plain joy it brought to me when we visited Disneyland as a family. Disboards friends! I know you guys get the Disney thing - which others don't always - how that joint love of something also helps us to support each other in other aspects of our lives.

E - Easter Eggs! Education - for enabling me to independently support my family - we are not rich by any means but we have our needs covered and many of our wants.

F - Friends - Long time ones who you can talk to about things and they just get it because they have known you for so long and new ones who bring new fun and perspective to your life. Fridays .... love me a Friday because then I don't have to work for 2 days :P

G – Garden – I have loved making my little backyard garden this year. Gordon :cat: – the next door neighbours cat who share his love with us for a few snacks here and there.

H - Home - even though we are renting - I am very thankful for our home.

I - Internet – for all the amazing things we can find including new friends at our fingertips

J - Jeans

K - Keto – for helping me lose weight and improve my health.

L - Lazy days with nothing to do but relax. Laughter - When the kids were younger and had friends over - I loved the sound of their laughter throughout the house - we still like to find things to laugh at - each other, TV/movies, life.
M - Movies popcorn:: . Make-up when I need that extra boost of confidence. Music.

N - Naps on the couch.

O - Opportunities.

P - Parents - being one and of course my own parents - they help us out so much - I don't know what we would do without them. P!nk – her music and live shows – DD and I share a love of her and it has brought us many wonderful experiences together – we have been going to see her everytime she comes to Australia since DD was 4 she is now 15.

Q - Queensland – the state I live in. Quiet moments.

R - Rainy days and Rainbows. Resilience - I have used a lot of it.

S - Sons - I have 2 wonderful boys that I adore - who are growing into thoughtful, generous, productive young men.

T - Technology – Dishwashers, Washing Machines, Dryers, Computers, Cameras (for capturing wonderful memories), TV – for relaxing, escaping and inspiration.

U - Unexpected surprises (good ones)

V - Vacations. Vaccines to help us stay healthy.
W - Work – in a career that I enjoy and is challenging (in a good way most days). Water – for drinking, showering, waterbomb fights, swimming and splashing in

Y - Years – all the good ones I have had and hopefully all the ones yet to come. Yumminess – Taste of yummy food.
X- X-Mas

Z - Zhoen – for hosting this month

Last edited:
Alright, Dearies, just a quick start to Foodie Friday, then I'll be back later... (It's predicted to rain, and I have 14 tomato plants to get in the ground before then... downpayment on future healthy munching!!!)

Question: Easter is this Sunday, what is on the menu? Are you cooking, going to someone else's place, restaurant?

Bonus question: How do you plan to keep things reasonable/sensible with all the delicious temptations everywhere?

Back in a bit!!!

A - America - a place I love to visit (but don't get to nearly enough!) - I have wonderful memories both before and with my kids - and $$$ permitting some more USA memories to be made in the future. Australia - living in a country where we are generally safe and have the opportunity to pursue our dreams freely.

B - Beach :beach: I live at the coast - the calming effect it has on me walking along it or picnicing with an awesome view. Books - I love a good read.

Butterflies – I love to see them fluttering around our garden.

C - Chocolate! It tastes so good - Chocolate hot cross buns! I don't like the traditional ones - but I have been good and really haven't had any lately - but I will have one over the Easter holiday. Cuddles with the kids.

D - Daughter - I have an amazing one - she is growing into a beautiful young lady (inside and out)- I have so many wonderful shared experiences with her. Disney - TV shows, movies, books lands - because it gave me good childhood memories that I then shared with and expanded on with my own children - the shared anticipation of a much loved movie being released, the joint experience of watching the movies/shows together, watching them dress up and pretend play when they were little - princesses and toy story characters were popular in my back yard! The healing and just plain joy it brought to me when we visited Disneyland as a family. Disboards friends! I know you guys get the Disney thing - which others don't always - how that joint love of something also helps us to support each other in other aspects of our lives.

E - Easter Eggs! Education - for enabling me to independently support my family - we are not rich by any means but we have our needs covered and many of our wants.

F - Friends - Long time ones who you can talk to about things and they just get it because they have known you for so long and new ones who bring new fun and perspective to your life. Fridays .... love me a Friday because then I don't have to work for 2 days :P

G – Garden – I have loved making my little backyard garden this year. Gordon :cat: – the next door neighbours cat who share his love with us for a few snacks here and there.

H - Home - even though we are renting - I am very thankful for our home.

I - Internet – for all the amazing things we can find including new friends at our fingertips

J - Jeans

K - Keto – for helping me lose weight and improve my health.

L - Lazy days with nothing to do but relax. Laughter - When the kids were younger and had friends over - I loved the sound of their laughter throughout the house - we still like to find things to laugh at - each other, TV/movies, life.
M - Movies popcorn:: . Make-up when I need that extra boost of confidence. Music.

N - Naps on the couch.

O - Opportunities.

P - Parents - being one and of course my own parents - they help us out so much - I don't know what we would do without them. P!nk – her music and live shows – DD and I share a love of her and it has brought us many wonderful experiences together – we have been going to see her everytime she comes to Australia since DD was 4 she is now 15.

Q - Queensland – the state I live in. Quiet moments.

R - Rainy days and Rainbows. Resilience - I have used a lot of it.

S - Sons - I have 2 wonderful boys that I adore - who are growing into thoughtful, generous, productive young men.

T - Technology – Dishwashers, Washing Machines, Dryers, Computers, Cameras (for capturing wonderful memories), TV – for relaxing, escaping and inspiration.

U - Unexpected surprises (good ones)

V - Vacations. Vaccines to help us stay healthy.
W - Work – in a career that I enjoy and is challenging (in a good way most days). Water – for drinking, showering, waterbomb fights, swimming and splashing in

Y - Years – all the good ones I have had and hopefully all the ones yet to come. Yumminess – Taste of yummy food.
X- X-Mas

Z - Zhoen – for hosting this month

These were great, Sam!

H is for health, mine, my family’s, my friends-never take it for granted.

I is for ice cream because sometimes it’s the answer to whatever my problem is.

J is for jewelry. I admit I love a pretty ring or bracelet. And I have some things from my grandmother and my mother I treasure.

K is for kitchen-really! I recently painted mine blue and redecorated a little, so I enjoy spending time there.

L is for love! Yesterday was our 39th anniversary!

M is for Maryland where we spend many happy days at the beach with family and friends.

N is for news. It’s not always good, but I truly believe our democracy depends on it.

O is for October, one of my favorite months of the year-leaves are at their peak, apples and pumpkins are everywhere. My grandson still gets so excited about Halloween.

P for pension! They pay me to stay home!

Q for quiet time. Sitting by the fireplace with a good book or on my deck in the morning with a cup of tea and listening to the birds.

R for retired! Loved my job but retirement is awesome.

S for social security-see above!

T for travel. Love seeing new places.

U for USA!

V is for vegetables-I love so many of them and piling my plate with them keeps me satisfied.

W is for the WISH thread! I look forward to checking in every day! Also Weight Watchers because they helped me lose 70lbs all those years ago and when I regained 20lbs helped me get back to goal.

Have to think about xyz!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!