The Bear Necessities! April 2019 W.I.S.H Goals

Oh, I love games! I'll play a few letters...

F - Fridays...last day of my work week
G - Girls Nights...I have one tomorrow night to celebrate my friends birthday
H - Home...it always feels good to be home
I - Iced Tea...refreshing drink that can be sweetened in so many ways, my favorite is peach iced tea
J - July...my kids birthday month, my anniversary month, a summer month, and the month we go to Disney!!!

These are great @MickeyMom76

A couple more for Monday

K - Ketchup, one of my favorite condiments, probably because it's full of sugar.
L - Lizanne! tee-hee, yes I need to remember to be grateful for me!
M - Magic, not necessarily the card tricks kind, but the everyday magic that surrounds us if we remember to look for it.

We will bid for a house that we have seen this weekend! Fingers crossed for us

The weather is miserable here but I feel happy and calm for first time in months. It' my 4th day on my new plan, 2nd workout this morning. I love the daily motivation and the suggestion of positive affirmations. One of them was - every day I do the simple things that move me towards my goals.

My motivation this weeks comes from wanting to feel like my actions, reflect my goals and be happy if this make sense?

Have a great week all!
Fingers crossed!

Monday motivation

I had a very laid back weekend and spent quite a bit of time sitting on the sofa knitting with my old man Mike curled up beside me, which made him very happy... and me too. I've been sleeping very well at night (and during my afternoon naps, a highlight of every weekend), and woke up feeling restored this morning.

This is a short week for me as I'm off Thurs/Fri, for a long Easter weekend. I head out to my Sister's Thursday to go to a couple of her appointments with her Thurs and Fri. My Niece (her daughter) rented an AirBnB house about half an hour up the beach for the holiday weekend... at first it sounds kind of silly since my Sister lives at the beach, so like, why would you pay to stay at another house at the beach, but it's really rather brilliant because we weren't sure how my Sister would be feeling at this point (this is her second to last chemo session!) and it's an easy way to get her out of the house for a mini-vacation, so we head there on Saturday.

The Whole Life Challenge Well Being exercise for this week is having tech-less meals. I did well with this over the weekend, but work mornings are a challenge for me, as I stop and get something on my way to the office and then eat while I'm settling in. So that's going to be my motivation... figuring out a way to get breakfast in, before I'm on-line in the mornings.

Happy Monday everyone... hope today is the door to a happy healthful week!

upload_2019-4-15_7-48-38.png

These are great @MickeyMom76

A couple more for Monday

K - Ketchup, one of my favorite condiments, probably because it's full of sugar.
L - Lizanne! tee-hee, yes I need to remember to be grateful for me!
M - Magic, not necessarily the card tricks kind, but the everyday magic that surrounds us if we remember to look for it.

Oh, I forgot about this! I'll do a couple as well:

N - Nice People - Most people are...really!
O - Opportunities - I live in a great area, with tons to do when I want to get out and about.
P - Pets - I have two cats, and they bring so much calm to my life. :)

Oh, I forgot about this! I'll do a couple as well:

N - Nice People - Most people are...really!
O - Opportunities - I live in a great area, with tons to do when I want to get out and about.
P - Pets - I have two cats, and they bring so much calm to my life. :)
I'll continue a few more:

Q - Quiet - It was nice and quiet in my classroom for a few minute while the kids were at recess ;)
R - Rain - While I am getting tired of all the rain, I need to remember to appreciate it. The grass is looking so nice an green thanks to the rain!
S - Sleep - Something I really need to get more of.

The weekends just go by way too quick. I finally was able to get DH to understand the DD is not faking this foot pain. This is a plus. There is no more tension between us on this. Friday night we got the second coat of pain on half of the living room and got that part put back together. The living room was in such a disarray while doing this part.

Saturday started out rough with DD. She thought she was going to play in her soccer game and when I told her she was not she had a huge melt down. She didn't talk to me for a while and just cried in her room. This was all before she got out of bed at 10:30. Once she got up and realized she was still in pain she understood and then the crying turned from I am mad at you to This really sucks. She did go to the game and supported her team and they were all worried about her. Her's and DS team both won their soccer games. After that we started painting the other half of the living room starting with the white. After we got the trip done we had to go back to Home Depot for more paint and decided to get dinner on the way home. We totally lost track of time painting. After dinner we got the paint on the walls and called it a night.

Sunday was a day of getting stuff done. Laundry, cleaning, grocery shopping. All was going well until the washer broke. I am now waiting on the 3rd thing to happen. It seems like it will be an easy fix but still will cost at least $100 (this price is to just come out and look at it). Thankfully this was when most of the laundry was done. So instead of finishing the laundry we went shopping for curtains. We did put them up in the living room. I am really happy with what we went with. So all in all a good weekend. We are slowly getting the painting done. We have 2 more weekends to get this all done. Next up will be the hall way and utility room. Both are small and should be able to get done easily in one weekend.

Happy Monday, everyone!

We’ve had some wild weather but I was able to get out for my walk today. Starting the week out like this kind of sets the tone for the rest of the week. I’m less likely to make bad choices when I eat a healthy breakfast and go for my walk.

Hope you all had a good start to your week and the worker bees have a short week!

Yay!!! You all pass the test! You were MOTIVATED to talk without prompting! I *TOTALLY* planned that, really!

I don't know about you guys, but right now, my motivations are all external... It was POURING rain this morning, so I drove DD11 to school... as soon as I dropped her off, I got a text from my niece, who is 15, that she is on spring break (different school system than ours) and bored and would I come get her... so I did that, then spent some time with her until the daughters got home, now they are playing in the back yard, because the weather has turned beautiful-but-windy... DN15 has a church event tonight that I have to leave soon to drive her to, but first I'm waiting for the chicken pot pie she wanted for dinner to finish cooking... and we did a project together that is still setting up. So yeah, lots of EXTERNAL things... (but my sister is widowed and works very hard, so I can't leave my niece home alone all break, deny her a home-cooked meal, or say she can't go to church-- though to be clear, that last part is AAAALLLLllllll about a boy...)

Meanwhile, my two have a short spring break from Thursday through Monday, so I have to get together a plan for those days... there's a million things they want to do, but only 5 days to do it. Luckily, we aren't doing anything but an egg hunt at home for Easter. I'm hoping to get in one or two local hikes on the trail, part in Northern Virginia and part in Maryland, which will be 2 more of the 13 states crossed off. (I got Tenessee and North Carolina before I got called home last month.

I'm still waiting on the call that the farm store got their new spring chicks in, then that will be a *HUGE* external motivation to get in my car and drive!

Somehow, this post didn't post earlier... just saved as a draft... weird! I just found it as I was about to set up Tuesday... grr, technology...

TOPIC TUESDAY: It's almost Easter, there's eggs everywhere... how are you with protein?

All the proteins in your body are made up of intricate strings of amino acids, 22 ingredients, millions of possible proteins. Of those 22 amino acids, we can "make" 13 of them by changing them from one to another, *BUT* there are 9 amino acids we CAN'T make, we have to get them from our diet: Vegetarian, vegan, or omnivore, somehow you gotta get your protein!

But how much protein do we actually need? Hah. You already know what I'm going to say... "there is disagreement in the scientific community."

The nutrition class I took used the standard of .8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day, which is a number you'll see a lot of places, but I know professors (and MDs) who say that number is higher than necessary, depending on your lifestyle and daily activities. The good news is that any extra protein you eat that you don't need will just be used for energy, so as long as your calories are in balance, then a little excess protein is harmless.

Personally, I often find it challenging to get to my protein target while also staying in my calorie range. Chicken breast is a GREAT source of lean protein, so is tuna or other fish... and I'm so. sick. of. them. all!!! I can eat corned beef for days, but that meat is fatty and high calorie. Eggs and milk are good sources of complete protein, but eggs come with cholesterol (which may or may not be a problem, depending on whom you ask,) and we've already identified that a lot of us are not big milk drinkers... So then there's vegetable proteins like beans, but most of those are "incomplete" proteins, meaning that they do not have all 22 amino acids, which is why combinations like beans/rice or corn/lima beans are good, because the two sources together have all 22 aminos… BUT (there's always a but...) gram for gram, you get more protein per calorie from lean meat than from beans... meaning that for the calorie conscious, a chicken breast, however boring, will be a better choice than tofu any day!

So how do you guys do on getting in your protein? Lots of chicken breast and egg whites? Bean burritos on corn tortillas? TVP? Or "I dunno, I eat meat and call it good." ? :)

Jungle-Book-Baloo-11.jpg

I dunno. I eat meat and call it good. :rotfl2:We actually go meatless about a third of the time. I always figure I eat enough of a variety of all types of food that in the long run everything evens out. Way back in the day we were economic vegetarians (we couldn't afford meat, but if you wanted to buy us a steak we would eat it!) and I paid a lot of attention to my protein and combinations.

I'm hoping things settle down in my life. It's just been so very busy this week. Well, busy for an empty-nester! Glad for some quiet time!! Not enough people showed up for pickleball this morning. Such a bummer. Instead I walked and walked and walked the track. Kinda boring, but calming. And those extra steps made up for my I did not meet my step goals this weekend.

My motivation this week ...

Healthy, healthy, healthy - I keep telling myself it is only 5 weeks until my next blood test to check my cholesterol and glucose levels - so I really need to focus and get this weight loss happening - I have stalled at 90kg I have been here for weeks now - it is starting to feel very disheartening ... I know it is down to my choices so I need to re-find that early motivation.

So how do you guys do on getting in your protein? Lots of chicken breast and egg whites? Bean burritos on corn tortillas? TVP? Or "I dunno, I eat meat and call it good." ? :)

We have always been meat eaters, chicken, pork, steak - but since going Keto I am pretty sure my protein intake should be all good - as I am also eating quite a few eggs at breakfast times as well. I don't eat eggs every day but they are there probably 4 times a week.

Oops forgot to say - I am off to dinner with a friend tonight and then out again Thursday night with another friend for dinner and a movie - wow I might almost beat the kids these holidays with my social life :rotfl2: ... that never happens.

I gave recently been more conscious about protein, but I find it very difficult to keep up. I don’t want to buy and eats lots of chicken because I do have serious issues with the animal welfare aspects. And buying organic or free range chicken every day is just too expensive. So, I have started to have more eggs (which are more affordable even in organic than the meat), but also started to experiment with tofu. I actually like it when I get it in Asian restaurants, but find it difficult to make myself. I will continue in that quest though!

TOPIC TUESDAY: It's almost Easter, there's eggs everywhere... how are you with protein?

I start my day with Shakeology (17g protein). Then during work, I have a hard-boiled egg mid-morning. I also have a hard-boiled egg on my salad at lunch. Then I usually have chicken, turkey, pork or shrimp at dinner. I'd say only once a week, do we do a dinner with some type of beef. And maybe once or twice a month we'll have fish. That being said, I'm much better when I work. On the weekends or in the summer, I'm not as good with my eating routine. I still usually start with Shakeology. But lunches and dinners aren't usually as well planned. That will definitely be a goal for this summer ;)

Tomorrow can't come soon enough. DD has her MRI in the morning. She is now in even more pain and refusing to put any weight on her foot. Thankfully we have crutches at the house for her use. She had 2 doses of Aleeve and Tylenol yesterday and was still in a ton of pain. She says it is a stabbing pain in her ankle bone. I am thinking she broke it again. We will get more info tomorrow after the MRI. I just feel so bad for her and there is not a whole lot I can do to help her.

Tomorrow can't come soon enough. DD has her MRI in the morning. She is now in even more pain and refusing to put any weight on her foot. Thankfully we have crutches at the house for her use. She had 2 doses of Aleeve and Tylenol yesterday and was still in a ton of pain. She says it is a stabbing pain in her ankle bone. I am thinking she broke it again. We will get more info tomorrow after the MRI. I just feel so bad for her and there is not a whole lot I can do to help her.
Hoping the MRI identifies the problem and she can start healing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!