The anti-dining trip report that could have been a disaster but ended up being Yacht-some!! April 2021 at The Yacht Club! Complete 11/5!

buzzrelly

DIS Veteran
Hello, everyone! Happy Mother's Day!

Long time, no see!

I am seriously out of practice here on the TR boards and I literally ghosted my last TR, so sorry about that if you were invested in reading about our October 2020 trip :sad2:
I kind of got into a funk after we got home and then in late November I started not feeling great.
After a million dollar work-up and many, many injections of radiopaque dye, it turns out it was my gallbladder causing the pain in my abdomen, and I finally ended up getting it out on March 15th.
It was a long four months of feeling crummy and I thought, "great, once this sucker comes out, all my troubles will be resolved." Well, it wasn't the instant relief I thought it would be and even now, almost two months later, I am still having issues and intermittent discomfort, but I am finally feeling somewhat better and hope that eventually I'll be back to normal :confused3

Boy! What a terrible introduction! :rotfl:

If you've stuck around reading my medical chart this long,
I promise I'll explain what all that has to do with a trip to Walt Disney World in April 2021!

Some of you know me, but for those who don't, my name is Kelly, I am a NICU Nurse by day and, like most of you, a Disney obsessed crazy person by…well…also day, since it's pretty much on my mind ALL THE TIME.

We are DVC members and have three other trips planned for this year in August, October and December. I guess we're making up for lost time from last year! We have other future Disney plans, including the Fantasy on April 30, 2022 and Disneyland/Aulani for summer 2022. That was supposed to be DD's graduation trip this year but with so much uncertainty, we pushed it off. I've been dreaming of visiting DL for soooooo long that when I go, I want ALL THE THINGS!
Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour…I want it. World of Color Dessert Party…I want that too.
Disneyland Hotel…yup. So, I am really hoping everything is back to normal by next summer!

Speaking of DD...

Allison was part of this trip's crew. She is a senior this year and will graduate next month before heading off to college in the fall. I literally cannot even think of this without crying :sad1:
She is such a sweet girl and is turning into my Disney partner-in-crime. She seems to be the only one around here who speaks my Disney language and is actually helpful when planning trips. We're hoping someday she'll get into the DCP (yay, for its return!) because that would give me even more excuses to go to WDW! She is on these boards as @olafofwarmhugs, but she almost never comes on.She's a busy girl nd has been dancing competitively for years, which she loves, and she also was fortunate
enough to be cast as the lead in her high school musical this year. She played Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors, and it was such an awesome show!

Also along on this trip was my mom, who we call Grammy...

She loves Disney as much as we do but is happy to leave the planning to me and she just goes along with anything. She's been coming with us since 2010 and up until now has been able to keep up, although somewhat slowly. I've noticed she's really slowed down this past year and as soon as I booked this trip, I booked a scooter for her for the first time. It ended up being so nice since she was able to keep up and not get as tired. She's coming along with us in August and will be using the scooter again.

And finally, the last member of our foursome is someone completely new to my trip reports,
my sweet great-niece, Ava...

We had started planning her first trip back in 2019 and it was supposed to be in October 2020 with the four of us girls, but that trip turned into just Mike (my DH) and I instead, for obvious reasons.

She was so much fun on this trip and has literally facetimed me everyday since we got home to talk about what rides we're going on in August.
She's a hoot and kept us laughing the whole time.
1620575569389.png

I was a little hesitant about bringing her for her first trip without everything being "normal," but honestly, she loved everything anyway and didn't really know what she was missing out on. Plus, we'll be bringing her back over and over again (she's already saying we can't go without her :laughing: ) and when things do start returning to normal, it'll all be new to her.

So how did this trip come about?

We had booked it a while back for our April break, thinking maybe we would go visit a couple of colleges in Florida that Allie had applied to and never gotten to visit. Spoiler alert…she ended up going to Florida with her dad over Christmas break and visiting the schools and not liking them. By the time April rolled around, she had pretty much decided where she was going (lucky for me, it's only a 30-40 minute drive from my house!). Coincidentally, @CruellaNY DS goes to the same school…small world indeed!

So without having to visit any colleges, we were still very much on the fence about going because we really wanted my mom to come but we weren't sure when she'd be vaccinated. It turns out that she was fully vaccinated by February and even Allie had gotten her first shot before we left. With 3/4 of us either fully or partially vaccinated, things were starting to look promising for this trip. But, oh yeah, there was the small detail of my surgery that ended up being scheduled for March 15th, which was just shy of four weeks before our trip. Prior to the surgery, everyone I had talked to who had their gallbladder removed said they felt soooo much better after. Even my mom, who had hers out many years ago said it was one of the easiest surgeries she ever had. I myself had a hysterectomy back in 2018 and remember feeling very good after that and within two weeks I was taking longs walks and cleaning the house like nothing ever happened. Well, let's just say, I did not feel good after this surgery, although I did go back to work two weeks after having it. I was still having back and abdominal pain and speaking to the GI doc and the surgeon, they kept telling me that there's really nothing else and I should start feeling better. To make an already long story short, I wasn't feeling better and honestly, the day before we were to leave, I ate a slice of toast and a banana and was feeling MUCH worse after, as in I was trying to pack and kept having to take rest breaks and lay down.

I sent a message to my GI doc who told me to contact the surgeon, so I sent a message to him too but he didn't end up getting back to me that day. I was really starting to wonder if we should just cancel but everything was booked and paid for and Ava was so excited that I didn't want to disappoint her or anyone. To make matters worse, I was heading down with my mom and Ava a day ahead of Allie who had to stay for rehearsals for her musical.

So despite my misgivings, we did indeed go. And so as not to leave you in suspense, I did start feeling better a few days later (I credit Disney Magic :love: ) and we had an amazing trip. I do believe what I was feeling the day before I left was pancreatitis and I put myself on a clear liquid diet for three days and even after that I was kind of afraid to eat so as you may imagine, food was not the focus of this trip! One thing that surely saved me was that just a few days before we left, I had been chatting with Liesa, @Steppesister who was having troubles of her own and was saying she was getting herself a scooter. Well, duh, that had never even occurred to me, but once she said it I called the same place we rented my mom's from and asked if we could add on a second scooter…just in case. At the time, I was thinking that if I was feeling amazing, I would cancel it. Well, thank GOODNESS for that scooter! I really think it saved the trip, especially with how I was feeling the first few days!

So if you've stuck with me through what must certainly be the weirdest trip report introduction EVER,
I promise that now that is all out of the way, I'll be talking about MUCH happier things!

Attachments

• 1620568019162.png
    1620568019162.png
    841.3 KB · Views: 15

Nah, it's just like being at work. :lmao:

Really, you're doing great;, every trip report is so different and you set the stage perfectly. :)
Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour…I want it. World of Color Dessert Party…I want that too.
Disneyland Hotel…yup. So, I am really hoping everything is back to normal by next summer!

ME TOO!!
She is on these boards as @olafofwarmhugs,

Oh that's great!! I hope she posts on this TR sometimes!
She's coming along with us in August and will be using the scooter again.

Scooters FTW!!!
I had been chatting with Liesa, @Steppesister who was having troubles of her own

And it was so fun and nice to catch up with you on a more personal level too!!
I really think it saved the trip
I am sooooooooooooooooooooo happy you did this!!! So, so happy. (Me too!)

So glad you started this!! But I had no idea about your medical issues ugh! So glad both you and @Steppesister got scooters so you could still go-go-go :) and really glad you took Ava. I have had tons of families go for their first ever visit post-COVID and all have loved it.

Also awesome on Allie going to QU which we think is a wonderful college, hopefully you and I can meet up there!

I’m joining in ,sorry about the post-op issues, ugh! I had to have my gallbladder out in 2017 and I had RUQ pain for at least 3 months. It wasn’t horrible but definitely there. I also lost about 10#, no appetite at all. Unfortunately I gained that back now, :confused3 lol!
I’m excited to hear all about your trip!

I'm here for all the fun and multi-quoting already!

Some of you know me, but for those who don't, my name is Kelly, I am a NICU Nurse by day and, like most of you, a Disney obsessed crazy person by…well…also day, since it's pretty much on my mind ALL THE TIME.
It's what makes all of us friends.....Disney obsession is part of us!
Allison was part of this trip's crew. She is a senior this year and will graduate next month before heading off to college in the fall. I literally cannot even think of this without crying :sad1:
She is such a sweet girl and is turning into my Disney partner-in-crime. She seems to be the only one around here who speaks my Disney language and is actually helpful when planning trips. We're hoping someday she'll get into the DCP (yay, for its return!) because that would give me even more excuses to go to WDW!
Oh I totally get you.....the twins are going off to university and I will have no babies at home. It all goes by so fast!
She loves Disney as much as we do but is happy to leave the planning to me and she just goes along with anything. She's been coming with us since 2010 and up until now has been able to keep up, although somewhat slowly. I've noticed she's really slowed down this past year and as soon as I booked this trip, I booked a scooter for her for the first time. It ended up being so nice since she was able to keep up and not get as tired. She's coming along with us in August and will be using the scooter again.
Love that you have this special time with your Mom!
I was a little hesitant about bringing her for her first trip without everything being "normal," but honestly, she loved everything anyway and didn't really know what she was missing out on. Plus, we'll be bringing her back over and over again (she's already saying we can't go without her :laughing: ) and when things do start returning to normal, it'll all be new to her.
I loved following along on FB and honestly Ava's reactions to everything were just the sweetest!
So despite my misgivings, we did indeed go. And so as not to leave you in suspense, I did start feeling better a few days later (I credit Disney Magic :love: ) and we had an amazing trip. I do believe what I was feeling the day before I left was pancreatitis and I put myself on a clear liquid diet for three days and even after that I was kind of afraid to eat so as you may imagine, food was not the focus of this trip! One thing that surely saved me was that just a few days before we left, I had been chatting with Liesa, @Steppesister who was having troubles of her own and was saying she was getting herself a scooter. Well, duh, that had never even occurred to me, but once she said it I called the same place we rented my mom's from and asked if we could add on a second scooter…just in case. At the time, I was thinking that if I was feeling amazing, I would cancel it. Well, thank GOODNESS for that scooter! I really think it saved the trip, especially with how I was feeling the first few days!
Oh my goodness, what an ordeal you had! Such a smart idea to get a scooter. I hope you are starting to feel a bit better now.

Following along. Looking forward to reading more.

Sorry to hear about your gallbladder issues. I had mine taken out about ten years ago after several months of not knowing what was wrong. Luckily for me , it was an easy surgery and I felt better soon after. Today , I only feel bad if I eat too much spicy and/or fried food . Hoping you are back to normal soon .

I can't wait to read all about your trip. Trips with first timers (especially littles) are always so much fun! To see the magic unfold for them is truly amazing.

I am so sorry you had so much trouble with your surgery. I was one of the lucky ones and had mine out the day before Thanksgiving and was shopping with the rest of the crazy people on Black Friday many years ago. But I was very lucky and mine was diagnosed very quickly and was just caused by many, many stones and no other issues. Hopefully you are now fully recovered and feeling fabulous.

Lynn

Really excited to read along, I too am a NICU nurse! In 2019 I attended the NANN conference in Orlando and spent 2 days at Disney with some coworkers, it was a blast.

I’m so sorry about all of your GI issues but I can’t wait to read about your trip!

Hello, everyone! Happy Mother's Day!

Long time, no see!

I am seriously out of practice here on the TR boards and I literally ghosted my last TR, so sorry about that if you were invested in reading about our October 2020 trip :sad2:
I kind of got into a funk after we got home and then in late November I started not feeling great.
After a million dollar work-up and many, many injections of radiopaque dye, it turns out it was my gallbladder causing the pain in my abdomen, and I finally ended up getting it out on March 15th.
It was a long four months of feeling crummy and I thought, "great, once this sucker comes out, all my troubles will be resolved." Well, it wasn't the instant relief I thought it would be and even now, almost two months later, I am still having issues and intermittent discomfort, but I am finally feeling somewhat better and hope that eventually I'll be back to normal :confused3

Boy! What a terrible introduction! :rotfl:

I promise I'll explain what all that has to do with a trip to Walt Disney World in April 2021!

View attachment 574061

We are DVC members and have three other trips planned for this year in August, October and December. I guess we're making up for lost time from last year! We have other future Disney plans, including the Fantasy on April 30, 2022 and Disneyland/Aulani for summer 2022. That was supposed to be DD's graduation trip this year but with so much uncertainty, we pushed it off. I've been dreaming of visiting DL for soooooo long that when I go, I want ALL THE THINGS!

Speaking of DD...
View attachment 574055

She is such a sweet girl and is turning into my Disney partner-in-crime. She seems to be the only one around here who speaks my Disney language and is actually helpful when planning trips. We're hoping someday she'll get into the DCP (yay, for its return!) because that would give me even more excuses to go to WDW! She is on these boards as @olafofwarmhugs, but she almost never comes on.She's a busy girl nd has been dancing competitively for years, which she loves, and she also was fortunate
enough to be cast as the lead in her high school musical this year. She played Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors, and it was such an awesome show!

Also along on this trip was my mom, who we call Grammy...
View attachment 574063

And finally, the last member of our foursome is someone completely new to my trip reports,
my sweet great-niece, Ava...
View attachment 574071

We had started planning her first trip back in 2019 and it was supposed to be in October 2020 with the four of us girls, but that trip turned into just Mike (my DH) and I instead, for obvious reasons.

She was so much fun on this trip and has literally facetimed me everyday since we got home to talk about what rides we're going on in August.
She's a hoot and kept us laughing the whole time.
View attachment 574081

View attachment 574082

So how did this trip come about?

We had booked it a while back for our April break, thinking maybe we would go visit a couple of colleges in Florida that Allie had applied to and never gotten to visit. Spoiler alert…she ended up going to Florida with her dad over Christmas break and visiting the schools and not liking them. By the time April rolled around, she had pretty much decided where she was going (lucky for me, it's only a 30-40 minute drive from my house!). Coincidentally, @CruellaNY DS goes to the same school…small world indeed!

So without having to visit any colleges, we were still very much on the fence about going because we really wanted my mom to come but we weren't sure when she'd be vaccinated. It turns out that she was fully vaccinated by February and even Allie had gotten her first shot before we left. With 3/4 of us either fully or partially vaccinated, things were starting to look promising for this trip. But, oh yeah, there was the small detail of my surgery that ended up being scheduled for March 15th, which was just shy of four weeks before our trip. Prior to the surgery, everyone I had talked to who had their gallbladder removed said they felt soooo much better after. Even my mom, who had hers out many years ago said it was one of the easiest surgeries she ever had. I myself had a hysterectomy back in 2018 and remember feeling very good after that and within two weeks I was taking longs walks and cleaning the house like nothing ever happened. Well, let's just say, I did not feel good after this surgery, although I did go back to work two weeks after having it. I was still having back and abdominal pain and speaking to the GI doc and the surgeon, they kept telling me that there's really nothing else and I should start feeling better. To make an already long story short, I wasn't feeling better and honestly, the day before we were to leave, I ate a slice of toast and a banana and was feeling MUCH worse after, as in I was trying to pack and kept having to take rest breaks and lay down.

I sent a message to my GI doc who told me to contact the surgeon, so I sent a message to him too but he didn't end up getting back to me that day. I was really starting to wonder if we should just cancel but everything was booked and paid for and Ava was so excited that I didn't want to disappoint her or anyone. To make matters worse, I was heading down with my mom and Ava a day ahead of Allie who had to stay for rehearsals for her musical.

So if you've stuck with me through what must certainly be the weirdest trip report introduction EVER,
I promise that now that is all out of the way, I'll be talking about MUCH happier things!

View attachment 574079

View attachment 574083

We are kindred spirits and I can't wait to read your trip report. I am a disney obsessed mom and DVC owner as well. My daughter and I go multiple times a year (pre-covid). She is my disney enabler and speaks my language too. I'm so excited to have our first post-covid trip planned for September. Can't wait to be back home after a long hiatus.

Nah, it's just like being at work. :lmao:

Exactly! Good thing I have a lot of nurse friends here! :rotfl:

Haven't you done all that? I think I remember seeing a pic of you at Club 33 ::yes::

Oh that's great!! I hope she posts on this TR sometimes!

I hope she will and I've told her to, but we'll see. I just don't think the DISBoards are as "cool" as Snapchat…or whatever they're posting on these days!

Scooters FTW!!!

Yes! And THANK YOU again for the idea!!

And it was so fun and nice to catch up with you on a more personal level too!!

Same :love:

So glad you started this!! But I had no idea about your medical issues ugh!

Ugh, is right! It had been a terrible few months, I think that's why I really wanted to go on this trip!

really glad you took Ava. I have had tons of families go for their first ever visit post-COVID and all have loved it.

I'm so glad we took her too, she absolutely loved it. I do hope the parades come back soon though. She loved the cavalcades, so I think the parade would just blow her mind!

Also awesome on Allie going to QU which we think is a wonderful college, hopefully you and I can meet up there!

Definitely! And I do need to pick your brain soon…I have so many questions about the fall!

I’m joining in ,sorry about the post-op issues, ugh! I had to have my gallbladder out in 2017 and I had RUQ pain for at least 3 months. It wasn’t horrible but definitely there. I also lost about 10#, no appetite at all. Unfortunately I gained that back now, :confused3 lol!
I’m excited to hear all about your trip!

Hello, Caroline!

It's so funny how many people have been through the whole gallbladder thing. And everyone seems to experience it a little bit differently. I think that's why it took them so long to just say, "yeah, it's your gallbladder," and that was from the second surgeon I saw. Yes, I lost 18 pounds since December and now I'm starting to put some back on but ya know what?? I am actually happy about it. That's how I can tell I'm feeling a bit better!

Thanks for reading!

It's what makes all of us friends.....Disney obsession is part of us!

Yes! :disrocks:

Oh I totally get you.....the twins are going off to university and I will have no babies at home. It all goes by so fast!

Oh my gosh, it really does :sad::sad::sad:

I loved following along on FB and honestly Ava's reactions to everything were just the sweetest!

I had forgotten how much fun it was to go with a 5 year old! We can't wait to bring her back in August!

I hope you are starting to feel a bit better now.

Yes, bit by bit, thanks!

Following along. Looking forward to reading more.

Welcome back to another of my TRs!

Sorry to hear about your gallbladder issues. I had mine taken out about ten years ago after several months of not knowing what was wrong. Luckily for me , it was an easy surgery and I felt better soon after.

It's so frustrating to go for so long and not know, isn't it? I had so many tests done and even went to a cardiologist because some of this presented as chest pain so they had to rule that out. Good to hear that you were back to normal soon after. I think I'm getting there, though not as fast as I would have liked!

Reactions: DLo
I can't wait to read all about your trip. Trips with first timers (especially littles) are always so much fun! To see the magic unfold for them is truly amazing.

:welcome: Thanks for reading! Back when my own kids were little, I had just found the DISBoards and was still kind of wary of the internet and message boards, particularly :laughing: Seems so weird to think that now!

It was so fun to see what would make her excited!

I am so sorry you had so much trouble with your surgery. I was one of the lucky ones and had mine out the day before Thanksgiving and was shopping with the rest of the crazy people on Black Friday many years ago. But I was very lucky and mine was diagnosed very quickly and was just caused by many, many stones and no other issues.

Wow! I cannot even imagine! That is very lucky!

Hopefully you are now fully recovered and feeling fabulous.

Not fabulous yet, but hopefully soon!

Really excited to read along, I too am a NICU nurse! In 2019 I attended the NANN conference in Orlando and spent 2 days at Disney with some coworkers, it was a blast.

Hello, fellow NICU nurse! :wave2: That conference has always caught my eye, but it never seemed to be at a good time for me. That must have been a blast!

I’m so sorry about all of your GI issues but I can’t wait to read about your trip!

Thank you!!

My daughter and I go multiple times a year (pre-covid). She is my disney enabler and speaks my language too.

:welcome: Thanks for reading!

It's so nice to have someone who gets it! My DD and I went together in 2019 and it was so easy because she knew what we were doing and helped plan it all. Lucky you get to go multiple times a year! What is your home resort?

I'm so excited to have our first post-covid trip planned for September. Can't wait to be back home after a long hiatus.

How exciting! It seems so many things will be back and more restaurants opened by then! Now I'm just waiting for the fireworks and parades…hoping by then since they'll be planning for the 50th!

It's so nice to have someone who gets it! My DD and I went together in 2019 and it was so easy because she knew what we were doing and helped plan it all. Lucky you get to go multiple times a year! What is your home resort?
We have 2 home resorts, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Saratoga Springs.

How exciting! It seems so many things will be back and more restaurants opened by then! Now I'm just waiting for the fireworks and parades…hoping by then since they'll be planning for the 50th!
I agree. It seems every day more things are opening back up. I'm sure by the fall, unless something we don't anticipate happens, things will be mostly back to normal.

We have 2 home resorts, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Saratoga Springs.

Nice! It's good to have options. If I add on more points, I dream of adding on at BCV, but the 21 year end date makes me pause because it's not really a good value, especially compared with BLT and PVB, but that's the dream!

I agree. It seems every day more things are opening back up. I'm sure by the fall, unless something we don't anticipate happens, things will be mostly back to normal.

Well, it sure is looking that way, maybe even for summer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter