The All New Grand Floridian FAQ - APRIL 2010

TAM1067 - Yes! Thank you for bringing that up. I responded about the AAA rate, as that is what elizflynn asked about - but there may be even better rates by the time her trip rolls around. We are usually able to book with an AP rate, however AP and general public rates don't often get released as soon as the AAA rate.

We've found that it's best to book with whatever rate is available to us at the time, and call back to apply a better discount if and when they are released. You can watch the Codes board here at the DIS, or the WDW website for new deals. Here is the link to the Codes board, they get the info out quicker than most:
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Even after I've booked with a discount, I continue to watch for even better deals right up to the time we leave for WDW!

k&a&c'smom
I used to love AAA rates because sometimes, that was the only discount you could get. But since the economy has been struggling, Disney has come out with so many deals that it's rare for AAA to beat Disney anymore. You're right about booking and then checking for cheaper deals, too.

So far, I have not found anything to beat the bouneback we have for later this year (even the CM I talked to when I called to add a night was shocked at the rate for the GF and asked me how I got it!), but it's always smart to check and recheck.

Just wanted to join the thread and confess to turning my kids into GF addicts!!!

What a wonderful new thread guys! Glad to see this keeps going over the years!! :thumbsup2

Hi Cali-D, good to see you on here!:wave2: I still remember your great GF FAQ. It was such wonderful help to me when I planned our first GF stay years ago now.

We are staying at the Grand in May and I've ordered a birthday balloon package from the disney florist for my daughter's birthday and I want to add a cake. Does the GF bakery make the cakes and do I call the cake hotline? I can't decide where to have the cake delivered. We have a reservation at 1900 Park Fare for dinner, but that is near the end of our vacation. I think I would like for the cake to be in our room when we return from the parks on our first night. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Just making sure I get all the Grand Floridian updates as they come out - not long til we get to spend 3 weeks there!!!

We are staying at the Grand in May and I've ordered a birthday balloon package from the disney florist for my daughter's birthday and I want to add a cake. Does the GF bakery make the cakes and do I call the cake hotline? I can't decide where to have the cake delivered. We have a reservation at 1900 Park Fare for dinner, but that is near the end of our vacation. I think I would like for the cake to be in our room when we return from the parks on our first night. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Hi there. If you want to have the cake delivered to your room then you'll need to go through the GF's Private Dining. Here's a link to the Cake Chatter Thread here on the DIS: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413710&highlight=cake+thread

I like your idea of having it the first night. Festive way to start your vacation :wizard: plus you can snack on the leftovers for the rest of the trip ;)

Just making sure I get all the Grand Floridian updates as they come out - not long til we get to spend 3 weeks there!!!

3 whole weeks at the GF?! :faint:

k&a&c Great job on the new thread!!! :goodvibes

disney Lifeguard That sounds like a perfect weekend!!! Enjoy!

Sweet Pea UK 3 weeks at the GF..I am jealous!

Long time SL fan here..and I just wanted to add some info on the 3 lodge tower rooms there...

2nd floor has a balcony but it is enclosed...

3rd floor has a balcony with that lovely wood design railing....

4th floor has no balcony..from what the CMs told me the balcony area there is part of the suite on that floor...

I have been in the renovated lodge tower rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors and the sofas do not open into a bed...makes no sense that they dont..but they dont ??? So any one counting on that extra bed to accomodate their family should be aware that it would not be available in those particular rooms..I suspect since that is the case on the 2nd and 3rd floors it is the same in the 4th floor room as well..HTH to clarify....

So, they didn't keep the same pullout sofas in the SL? Wow!
Thanks for the update, BlueSkies!

3 weeks!!! Now THAT's a holiday, Sweet Pea UK !:thumbsup2

You're welcome Little Lulu! It really dosent make any sense..why would a bigger room have less sleeping space??? No ryme or reason for that!??

I have some photos of RPC views to share:

This was taken from Room 4304 (no zoom)
IMG_0224.jpg

Same room but with zoom:
IMG_0225.jpg

This was taken from Room 4422 (Deluxe Queen):
CIMG1007.jpg

Every morning, the housekeeping staff holds a "parasol parade":
100_1309.jpg

Bathrooms in all standard GF rooms, including CL:
CIMG3714.jpg

All standard rooms have flat screen TV's; CL rooms have a DVD:
100_1344.jpg

Hey, CaliD, glad to see you again!:yay: We've missed you, I always loved your thread, it was so full of info.

minniesota - thanks for posting the photos, they're beautiful! Don't you love the parasol parade?

s&k's mom and Sweet Pea UK, welcome!

BlueSkies - thanks!

Joining!

We are staying at the Grand for the first time in Nov. We always said we would never stay there.... well, mostly DH said he would never stay there - because he felt it was to foo-foo for his manly man ways! lol But we seemed to spend a large amount of time there on our last trip considering it seemed most of our meals were there. We fell in love with it. Not to mention the amazing encounter with a Concierge CM. I think she may have been what got DH on board. Up to that point, we had been having a very bad experience at the WL with the CM and Management, not very Disney at all. So when he spoke to her, he seen what a true Disney CM should be and he felt the magic!

November can't come soon enough!

My DH loves the grand, we had the most awesome room in Conch Key last time, we could here the wolf howl from the Haunted Mansion, see the main pool, monorail from the balcony. It spoiled us forever!

Hey, CaliD, glad to see you again!:yay: We've missed you, I always loved your thread, it was so full of info.

minniesota - thanks for posting the photos, they're beautiful! Don't you love the parasol parade?

s&k's mom and Sweet Pea UK, welcome!

BlueSkies - thanks!

You're welcome! I do love that parade and it's so cute because they choose a child to lead them and we always see the biggest smiles. Something so simple but so delightful!

I'm going through my GF pics and will post more as I get organized.

Anyone use the Mouseketeer Club for child care in the evenings. I'd love to hear some feedback, couldn't find any recent reviews, only a few over 2 years old. Thanks!

If you used the Polynesian's child care center, please share your opinions on that too. Thanks again.

DisneyFamily - sorry, I can't be of any help, we've never used the child care services or any of the kids' clubs. I hope someone with experience in that area will be along to assist you!

Hi everyone!

If I were to book a GV room, what are my chances of getting a king bed?

What about a dormer room?

What about both together?

Thanks!

Photos of the GF Spa & Health Club:
IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

Women's lounge:
IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

Jacuzzi is in a separate room with a steam room and sauna. There are separate areas for men and women:
IMG_0178.jpg

Favorite GF Lobby photos:
IMG_0335.jpg

Looking towards the orchestra with the Garden View Lounge below. The Garden View Lounge is where the Afternoon Teas is held:
IMG_0332.jpg

The grand staircase where you can catch a bridal photo shoot:
IMG_0319.jpg

Children's waiting/lounge area - there are two of these:
IMG_0311.jpg

The Portrait Studio area near the GF Cafe:
IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324-1.jpg

The GF Society Orchestra:
IMG_0165.jpg

The wonderfully entertaining pianist:
IMG_0126.jpg

Beautiful architecture:
IMG_0162.jpg

Gorgeous new marble floors:
IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!