The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

Is there ever enough gold/silver/oil? ;) The Comstock Lode isn't as well known as some of the other famous gold/silver rushes.

Ha, fair point. No. ;)

And you are right. According to some sources it was #8 on the most lucrative strikes.

The B&B is gorgeous. Of course you had a quilt on the bed. :)

It was super charming. Next up: I'll share about the luscious breakfast she served.

I love spooky old towns. They give me the creeps but in a good way.

Yes, there was nothing nefarious about the "vibe" in town. And no stories about revenge-seeking "ghosts". :)

This would be interesting but creepy, too. We explored the famous Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. It is supposed to be haunted and it felt like it was, especially the hallways. They filmed the movie, The Shining, there.

Were there lots of tourists in town? It sounds like mostly locals were hanging around.
Oh how fun! I knew that the INSIDE filming and the OUTSIDE filming were done at different locations... the outside ones being done at Timberline Lodge in Oregon. They definitely made it all so spooky in how they filmed. :)

Actually, no not a huge ton. It wasn't crowded, but the one place serving dinner at 8:00 was doing enough business that it appeared to be "enough" to keep it afloat. But in the smaller bars, it was mostly locals that looked like they were into farming or ranching.

I thought it was WAILING and gnashing of teeth.
Picky, picky

But lunch was after 9, right? I thought it was remembering breakfast after 9 that was problematic.

Remembering anything at all ever is the problem.

Huh? So, it's a go cart track or they use it as if it were?

Just a figure of speech/metaphor/illustration/whatever.

Because it was twisty or because of go carts?

Both.
So, B street B&B is on C street? Bizarre.

No, I said it was easy to find because the there is one main street, C Street, and only two parallel streets, B and A. Easy to find.

So, they had piped in scents like Disney resorts?

LOL! This was the real deal.

@Captain_Oblivious got nicer and you took over his mean parent status?

OH no, I've been a mean parent for a very, very long time. They had to eat vegetables (the horror!), go to bed when we told them to, we limited screen time, and made them sleep on the floor. The kids were not the bosses of the household.

Minnisota fats, meet Kentucky contemplative.

Moi!

It was quite the road trip! I also started out with a side trip to DC, to the National Archives, where I was able to get copies of some of the original plans and see historic photos. Conveniently, I also was able to stay with a classmate's parents, to defray costs. I hadn't really known anything about them when I started, but now I keep seeing references all over the place. (My history education was severely lacking - we learned the same few things repeatedly, and skipped over everything else, it seemed like!) But, yes, a fascinating trip. I was able to stay with friends and relatives along the way at times, plus a combination of camping, hostels, and cheap motels. My sister once picked up my thesis booklet and said later that she figured she would put it down when she got bored, and she ended up reading the whole thing!

OH no way!! Primary documents FTW! You really made up for lost time in learning stuff!

And road tripping the way you did is always a great way to do it. Not as comfy sometimes as nicer hotels, but those are always in the more off the beaten path places that seem to have more interesting things to see.

Thankfully, no snow at Crater Lake when I was there! As for Idaho, no banjos, tho I remember being happy to hear something besides country music on the radio when I was driving through Boise.

Seems far too often people get up in that area of C.L. and die or freeze to death in their cars by getting stuck.

LOL!! Yes, Idaho does have their fair share of country music lovers and rednecks. Oddly, well, probably NOT so oddly, the vast majority of stations here in Bowling Green, an hour from Nashville, are Country.

Last edited:

Ding! We have a winner! :rotfl2:

:laughing:
Creative street names in this town.

They were too busy digging to think of better ones.

Ah, that smell of grandma's house. Funny how smells take you back.

They say it's the sense that can evoke the strongest memories. I believe it!
Darn right. You pay for the room, you make the rules.

Correct!

Note to self: never let the kids pay for a room. Especially one with too few beds.

Looks like a cool little town!

It was so full of history and fun to walk around in. More photos from our walk the next morning coming up.

I don't think I'd want a cigar for dinner, but different strokes, I guess.
At first I read that as "different stokes" and thought... well done.

Something tells me you wouldn't find this policy in too many hotels across the country.
Probably not, but for one that relies on tourism, it's probably not a bad idea.

Remembering anything at all ever is the problem
Huh? Were we talking about something?

Picky, picky
Most people say that about my palate.

No, I said it was easy to find because the there is one main street, C Street, and only two parallel streets, B and A. Easy to find.
But was there an A&A on B street?

OH no, I've been a mean parent for a very, very long time. They had to eat vegetables (the horror!), go to bed when we told them to, we limited screen time, and made them sleep on the floor. The kids were not the bosses of the household.
Similar. Remember my one daughter saying me monitoring her activity online was a violation of privacy. Told he since there are a lot of predators online, it was for her protection and as long as I pay for the house and the computer in the house and the network the computer is connected to, tough noogies.

Walking in took us instantly back 150 years with that intoxicating smell of “old”. Perhaps it was a hint of mold, maybe aging lumber…. But there was more than a few times Zach or I would comment on “that scent” wishing we could bottle it up and take it home. Some of the old buildings here in V.C. were reminiscent of Haunted Mansion, others more like Pirates of the Caribbean. I took a few photos of our room before we set out to find some local fun. With all of the modern conveniences, it still had that old timey charm:
Love the character and atmosphere of your B&B!
After being silly for a while over gin and tonics (while the locals were sitting at the bar rolling their eyes), we really did need to find some dinner. By now, only one place in town was serving food. Luckily, the calzone we ordered was quite good and just enough for us to split. (Sorry, no food pix. It was just a calzone.) But the night was young! And we heard some music while making our way to dinner. I’m not one to pass up live music, so we found some in a saloon a few doors down from where we'd eaten. It wasn’t hard, no fewer than 4 venues had bands playing.
Sounds like a perfect night! Loving your adventures so far.:goodvibes

Huh? Were we talking about something?

Beats me!

Most people say that about my palate.

I've noticed it's not too terribly adventurous.

But was there an A&A on B street?

LOL!

Similar. Remember my one daughter saying me monitoring her activity online was a violation of privacy. Told he since there are a lot of predators online, it was for her protection and as long as I pay for the house and the computer in the house and the network the computer is connected to, tough noogies.

I get that to a point. Once they were 18, all I could offer was sound advice and pray. By then they should be making good choices. If not, that's on them. :) Sure, they lived in my house, but micromanaging doesn't help either.

Beats me!

I've noticed it's not too terribly adventurous.

LOL!

I get that to a point. Once they were 18, all I could offer was sound advice and pray. By then they should be making good choices. If not, that's on them. :) Sure, they lived in my house, but micromanaging doesn't help either.
Before 18

K is for: Knickerbockers and Kirches

The ghosts generally left us alone for the night. That, or they couldn’t be detected through the Ambien Fog. Nevertheless, morning dawned bright and beautiful, and we were eager to explore. Zach, being one who enjoys sleeping in, less so. Our lovely matron let us know that breakfast was served around 8:30, so by 7:15 we grabbed our picks, pans, and prospects and headed out the door to see what else V.C could show us from the past. The sunlight was perfect, and we hit the golden hour just right. Sometimes it pays to set out early.

(I know you've seen the Bucket of Blood, but I like this photo for both the light on the brick but also because it shows the cool iron-shutters on the windows.)

I won’t detract from the well-preserved stories that the weathered buildings, antique fixtures and hardware, plaques, and talings of Virginia City tell. While none of the businesses were open at that early hour, some had open doors for their product deliveries, which worked out well for getting photos without tourists.

So, here’s the tour of V.C, and then we’ll head back for breakfast…

(A reminder of the current events displayed in a historical place.)

(Are all fire ladders made of wood?!)

If you know me at all, light fixtures of all kinds kinda strike my fancy and these are certainly garish examples of turn-of-the-century chandeliers.

The massively long hardwood bars demand a bit of awe as well. I think they could make a fortune charging tourists $10 to slide a beer down the length of it. Don’t pretend you haven’t thought that’d be pretty entertaining too.

And after a night of drinking, carousing, gambling, or otherwise trouble-making, one might find peace in one of the several churches in town. Perhaps just as often, prospectors would come to bargain with God in hopes of being blessed with a lucky strike.

If church didn't set you straight, the Marshall or Sheriff might: (Interestingly, I literally just learned what the difference is the other day in a wholly unrelated conversation- it's a fascinating study if that kinda thing piques a bit of interest.)

Virginia City hosted a variety of folks from all walks of life, not unlike mining towns all over the US West.

It was about 8:15 when we got back to the B&B for breakfast. We took the extra few minutes to load the car and take a few more photos of this lovely home before we were served. I only took photos since there were no little bottles of shampoo to pilfer. Which was a shame; I could have used some in the following days.

The conversation at the table was exquisite where 2 other couples, Zach and myself shared about where we were from, where we were headed, and our views on the state of the US and world. Politics were discussed like civil humans are capable of and all too soon we parted ways without one insult being exchanged. Not surprisingly, we had far more in common than differences.

With 2 more stops planned for the day, we made a hasty exit and got on the road heading south. Since I was driving, I chose the music. This is the way.

Up next: Mono Lake, Bodie, and a Tipi

It was about 8:15 when we got back to the B&B for breakfast. We took the extra few minutes to load the car and take a few more photos of this lovely home before we were served. I only took photos since there were no little bottles of shampoo to pilfer. Which was a shame; I could have used some in the following days.
I am in awe of the beautiful scenery. I love your B and B as well as the unique character of the town. I don't know if I will ever make it to Nevada but maybe one day! Bill is hoping to head out that way to hike the Grand Canyon trail as well as to see some of Utah. Maybe I'll tag along. :)

It is kind of surprising that they continued to rebuild the destroyed buildings out of wood when brick would have lasted longer.
light fixtures of all kinds kinda strike my fancy and these are certainly garish examples of turn-of-the-century chandeliers.
That chandeliers are fascinating. So are the salons and the ceilings and the bed and breakfast you stayed at.

Your breakfast conversation sounds like it was a very pleasant experience. I guess that is a benefit of staying at a B&B.

I literally just learned what the difference is the other day in a wholly unrelated conversation- it's a fascinating study if that kinda thing piques a bit of interest.
That is something that I never thought about before. What is the difference between a Marshall and a sheriff?

What a unique town - a lot of character and interesting history. Nice you had enough time there to really explore. Anxious to see your pictures of Mono Lake!

The ghosts generally left us alone for the night
Boooooring!

:laughing:
Zach, being one who enjoys sleeping in, less so
Like most of the younger set.
The sunlight was perfect, and we hit the golden hour just right.
Nice.
it shows the cool iron-shutters on the windows.
Thanks for pointing that out.
So, here’s the tour of V.C,
Thanks for the tour. Lotta good shots there.
Are all fire ladders made of wood?!
Yes. you want to save the shutters… not the people.

:rolleyes1
If you know me at all, light fixtures of all kinds kinda strike my fancy
::yes::
And those are fantastic!
The massively long hardwood bars demand a bit of awe as well.
Beautiful.
I think they could make a fortune charging tourists $10 to slide a beer down the length of it. Don’t pretend you haven’t thought that’d be pretty entertaining too.
I’d pay to do that. But I suspect they’d need rails like they put up for kids at bowling alleys.
If church didn't set you straight, the Marshall or Sheriff might: (Interestingly, I literally just learned what the difference is the other day in a wholly unrelated conversation- it's a fascinating study if that kinda thing piques a bit of interest.)
I didn’t think we had marshals up here until one knocked on my door.
Virginia City hosted a variety of folks from all walks of life, not unlike mining towns all over the US West.

:rolleyes1
I only took photos since there were no little bottles of shampoo to pilfer.
:lmao:
Politics were discussed like civil humans are capable of and all too soon we parted ways without one insult being exchanged.
This is possible???
Since I was driving, I chose the music. This is the way.
I saw a bumper sticker once that said:
“Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his pie hole”

Sometimes it pays to set out early.

Almost always!

(I know you've seen the Bucket of Blood, but I like this photo for both the light on the brick but also because it shows the cool iron-shutters on the windows.)

The lighting really is great here.

(Are all fire ladders made of wood?!)

Preferably soaked in gasoline if you can help it.

The massively long hardwood bars demand a bit of awe as well. I think they could make a fortune charging tourists $10 to slide a beer down the length of it. Don’t pretend you haven’t thought that’d be pretty entertaining too.

I've always wanted to do that! But I'd probably spill a lot of beer.

IMG_4872-L.jpg

Looks like a classic Western shot there.

Politics were discussed like civil humans are capable of and all too soon we parted ways without one insult being exchanged.

Oh, come on. That doesn't happen.

Since I was driving, I chose the music. This is the way.

I am in awe of the beautiful scenery. I love your B and B as well as the unique character of the town. I don't know if I will ever make it to Nevada but maybe one day! Bill is hoping to head out that way to hike the Grand Canyon trail as well as to see some of Utah. Maybe I'll tag along. :)
Nevada has some very, very pretty places, and some very, very bleak places. But all of it interesting.

The Grand Canyon is a TOUGH slog. I've known loads of friends who've done it, but it is NOT easy. I"ve rafted it and it was SO much fun! Bryce and Zion are amazingly beautiful places I do hope you can tag along to see that area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter