The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

Oh? What were you guys wearing?

Sorry.
Are my puns wearying?
Adequate clothing.

Including underwear.

:laughing:
This is why I come here. For the highly accurate, scientific jargon.

But of course!

I really like this photo. :thumbsup2

I was really grateful for that 75-300 lens. It was definitely my go-to on this trip.

I'm sorry... what?!?!?!? :eek:

I know... total loser.

Huh!
Well, I'm skeptical too... doubt I'd ever try that.

It's a challenge!

I remember you mentioned this term before and I had to look it up. I forgot and had to look again.

Tragic.

It kinda is.

You're an expert at it!

I do have a story of miraculous proportions coming up a few updates from now.

Very nice shot of you guys... but I think you lost your shoes.

Are you saying I'm just like Cinderella.

Sure! You could use it as a spare tire in case of a blow-out!

That's what I was thinking.

Don't know why, but I really like this shot.

It was one of my favorites too. I think because for its simplicity it tells a poignant story.

I too disagree with that sentiment.
Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Sadly, it won't be the last time humans display atrocious behavior towards one another.

And right there. That's why.
"Hey! Let's do this thing."
"No we shouldn't. They did that back in ____ and it was terrible."

Correct!
For sure.
It's one thing to read about something, or to even see a video. It's a whole 'nother thing to actually experience it with your own eyes.

Exactly. Or at the very least cause one to pause and remember. Or lead one to study and become aware or educated. But to bury and pretend it never happened? Or take away the visible impetuses to do so. FAR worse. I think people mistake remembering or memorializing for honoring. They are not the same and some assume the latter is happening for anyone visiting.
Sure. They know they can outrun you.

They can't outrun a bullet, but... you haven't shot them by now, so... probably safe.

Mmmm, venison!
Oh deer.
Thanks for the warning.

:rolleyes:
What was that you said about wearying puns? ;)
I prefer driving to being a passenger, myself.
At least I'd only have to blame myself for death and destruction.

Adequate clothing.

Including underwear.
This is a first for you, no?

:duck:
I was really grateful for that 75-300 lens. It was definitely my go-to on this trip.
Nice range. ::yes::
I know... total loser.
I never said that!

But...

yes

:duck:
It's a challenge!
We'll see...
I do have a story of miraculous proportions coming up a few updates from now.
popcorn::
Are you saying I'm just like Cinderella.
Sure!
It was one of my favorites too. I think because for its simplicity it tells a poignant story.
::yes::
Sadly, it won't be the last time humans display atrocious behavior towards one another.
Probably not. :(
What was that you said about wearying puns? ;)
Who, me?

:blush:
At least I'd only have to blame myself for death and destruction.
:scared:

I had quoted some of the text, but when I got to the bottom, no insert quotes button. Not sure what happened, but I'll just say (sounding like a broken record)
Great pictures
Some cool spots you found

And the one I had a good reply to before...
Sadly, yes, there have been many injustices and unfortunately in current times, many are being manufactured in an effort to divide us. :sad:

The bathroom signs were hilarious.

I know there are some who would like to see all traces, or ones that only fit the current PC narratives, of the past taken away or erased; I disagree. As Zach and I stood there a great melancholy washed over me and I was able to share with my son this terrible time in our history in which he had no idea had happened. It’s just not taught anymore, but here stood a tangible testament that served to remind us that there was a time that terrible things happened, and one group of people was singled out for the sole reason of race. We need places like this to continue to provide concrete reminders where one can go and be led to places of deep contemplation and fresh realization. Even if they are of figures who committed unsavory acts of hate. There not to celebrate, but to commemorate. And learn. There is no better teacher than seeing things with one’s own eyes; reading in books just can’t do the same thing.

Funny you should mention this. I almost brought it up when you mentioned visiting Crater Lake, actually. Back in grad school, which was right around the 50th anniversary of many WWII things, I ended up doing a travelling fellowship trip as part of my Historic Preservation/Architecture program, where I documented what was left of the 10 Japanese-American Internment camps throughout the country. Tule Lake was one of them, of course, although, iirc, it was one that didn't have very much left. I did my thesis project at Manzanar (design only, not built, of course), since it was one that had more left from that time, with the idea of how do we commemorate the darker parts of our history.

(I also visited Crater Lake as part of that trip - I drove from Champaign to Arkansas, down to Arizona, all through California, through Oregon to Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, and then back home. Crater Lake was beautifully blue when I was there, but it was cold overnight when I camped there! Then, I drove east to Idaho through some very not-well-traveled back roads, as I recall)

J is for: Of Jackpots and Jehus

Picking up our story with the frustration and gnashing of teeth of navigating while in a deep state of hangriness out of Reno, we were finally on the last stretch of road to our destination- Virginia City, NV. We’d been on the trail since 7:00, and since I can’t remember with even the most vague thought of what we had for lunch, it is no surprise that I was crabby and anxious to get out of the car and settled at our home for the night.

Once out of the nightmare of the maze of Reno, up, up, up we drove. We stopped at this viewpoint and took a peek at the old road far below us in the canyon where stagecoaches (Jehus) and mule trains once trod. The (newer) road itself from Reno to V.C. is extremely twisty and the locals use it as their daily spin on the go-cart track. To say driving it was at times terrifying would be a gross understatement. Nevertheless, by 6:15 or so we arrived… (thank you, Reno, for the hour delay)

Prior to the trip, months ago, I’d read a small bit about Virginia City and its sister towns of Silver City, Gold Hill, and Devil’s Gate, and was eager to learn more about the history of these once booming mining towns of the late 1800’s of the famous Comstock Lode. I confess, I’d forgotten much that was of interest at the time, but determined to stay there because I learn best by exploring and doing, rather than by reading. However, here is the Wiki article of both the Comstock Highway and another of the general history of the town of Virginia City should you be interested in getting a bit of backstory aside from my own commentary. Warning, the 2nd article is long and detailed, a skimming is good, or I can give the two-sentence synopsis: Silver and gold were found in these mountains in 1850, but not as much as of either was found as most of the prospectors/claim-stakers had hoped. As with all mining ventures, a few with good business sense and more luck than others managed to do quite well hitting the literal jackpot. They became senators, and thus began the long and continuing saga of fat cats in government.

Enter Zach and Steppe… who had their own prospecting to do for a comfy bed, decent food, a tall one in a saloon, and some entertainment. I’d made a few solid plans for lodging before we left and made reservations for places for our first 4 or 5 nights on the road. After that, I made them along the way with varying degrees of success and wisdom. There are a few hotels, boarding houses, and the like in Virginia City. This night’s would prove to be a winner, winner, no chicken dinner. But it did come with breakfast. But back to the saloon. Er, saloons that is.

After hauling our stuff up the narrow, wooden stairs in our historic, and incredibly authentic Bed and Breakfast, we set out to find some libations. But not before admiring our beautiful, lucky find. 'B' Street Bed and Breakfast was easy to find as there’s really only one main road- C Street; only 2 or 3 short roads parallel it the distance of "town".

Walking in took us instantly back 150 years with that intoxicating smell of “old”. Perhaps it was a hint of mold, maybe aging lumber…. But there was more than a few times Zach or I would comment on “that scent” wishing we could bottle it up and take it home. Some of the old buildings here in V.C. were reminiscent of Haunted Mansion, others more like Pirates of the Caribbean. I took a few photos of our room before we set out to find some local fun. With all of the modern conveniences, it still had that old timey charm:

(Why, yes, I did make Zach sleep on the floor.)

It's hard to find much open after 10:00 in V.C, and we were warned by our lodging’s matron that it would also be hard to even find dinner past 8:00, so we got a move on. Nothing is too far to walk to, and besides with the last hour of remaining light, we wanted to explore just a little.

In our 10-minute, very slow amble with a few more photo stops, we ended up at this place:

When you’re in a town with as many saloons as this one, best to sample the wares. (No, I did not smoke a cigar.) I mean, Old West, gun fights over gold, card games, that sort of stuff…. Makes one contemplative.

After being silly for a while over gin and tonics (while the locals were sitting at the bar rolling their eyes), we really did need to find some dinner. By now, only one place in town was serving food. Luckily, the calzone we ordered was quite good and just enough for us to split. (Sorry, no food pix. It was just a calzone.) But the night was young! And we heard some music while making our way to dinner. I’m not one to pass up live music, so we found some in a saloon a few doors down from where we'd eaten. It wasn’t hard, no fewer than 4 venues had bands playing.

Little did we know that V.C. has a long history of hauntings. As mentioned before, the various buildings housed a positively intoxicating scent. One could close their eyes and imagine the stories of a rough and tumble, raw, mining town full of savory characters and exciting plots. But the night had to end; travel mornings start early. Making our way towards the next block up where our B&B was, we cut through a hotel that was wide open and dimly lit; the smell of "old" lured us in. At first it seemed a little strange that a hotel would just leave its door open, but a sign near the entrance read something to the effect that while it was okay to explore, we ask you please be considerate as guests are sleeping after 10:00. Great! Let’s check it out! The floors creaked a bit as we crept up the long wooden staircase and I will not lie, it was spooky. The low light of the antique fixtures flickered, and the willowy curtains fluttered on the wisps of breeze that crept in through the open dormer windows. Whether other-worldly visitors were enjoying a late-night stroll along with us, or whether we were just feeling an acute sense of presence as we walked the halls of history, it was an interesting way to end our evening.

Other random photos of our wanderings:

Last edited:
IMG_E9120-L.jpg
Wow! What a great opening!
Nice shot!
navigating while in a deep state of hangriness out of Reno,
Oh dear.
Bet those knuckles were white on the wheel!
Once out of the nightmare of the maze of Reno, up, up, up we drove.
I had no idea there'd be that much of an elevation change.
We stopped at this viewpoint and took a peek at the old road far below us in the canyon where stagecoaches (Jehus) and mule trains once trod.
Cool!
The (newer) road itself from Reno to V.C. is extremely twisty and the locals use it as their daily spin on the go-cart track.
To say driving it was at times terrifying would be a gross understatement.
Hmmm...
No guardrails?
Warning, the 2nd article is long and detailed, a skimming is good, or I can give the two-sentence synopsis: Silver and gold were found
Well, that was succinct! :laughing:
others managed to do quite well hitting the literal jackpot. They became senators, and thus began the long and continuing saga of fat cats in government.
:lmao:
So that's how it started!
Whoa. Look at that. No wonder they started digging for gold.
I like the looks of it. :)
Walking in took us instantly back 150 years with that intoxicating smell of “old”. Perhaps it was a hint of mold, maybe aging lumber…. But there was more than a few times Zach or I would comment on “that scent” wishing we could bottle it up and take it home.
I like that smell too.
Never associated it with mold, though, and actually think there was none. You'd smell something quite different, I think, if there was some.
Some of the old buildings here in V.C. were reminiscent of Haunted Mansion,
Cool!
I like it. :)
Poor Zach! But... that's what kids are for. Not getting the bed.
Like the sloped ceiling.
Nothing is too far to walk to,
Uh, huh. Tell that to all the bodies on Everest!
There you guys are. You look pretty happy. :)
When you’re in a town with as many saloons as this one, best to sample the wares. (No, I did not smoke a cigar.)
What?!?!? Sacrilege!
I mean, Old West, gun fights over gold, card games, that sort of stuff…. Makes one contemplative.
Oh.
And here I thought you participated in gun fights over gold, card games, that sort of stuff...
Lovely photo of you. :)
So did you play? Or just pose?
After being silly for a while over gin and tonics (while the locals were sitting at the bar rolling their eyes)
Now that's a name for a saloon! :faint:
Little did we know that V.C. has a long history of hauntings.
This doesn't surprise me one bit.
The low light of the antique fixtures flickered, and the willowy curtains fluttered on the wisps of breeze that crept in through the open dormer windows. Whether other-worldly visitors were enjoying a late-night stroll along with us, or whether we were just feeling an acute sense of presence as we walked the halls of history, it was an interesting way to end our evening.
Heh. Did you zip out faster than you ambled in?

I had quoted some of the text, but when I got to the bottom, no insert quotes button. Not sure what happened, but I'll just say (sounding like a broken record)
Great pictures
Some cool spots you found

THanks!!

And the one I had a good reply to before...
Sadly, yes, there have been many injustices and unfortunately in current times, many are being manufactured in an effort to divide us. :sad:

I would agree with that. History: Oddly cyclical.

The bathroom signs were hilarious.
I thought so... ;)

Funny you should mention this. I almost brought it up when you mentioned visiting Crater Lake, actually. Back in grad school, which was right around the 50th anniversary of many WWII things, I ended up doing a travelling fellowship trip as part of my Historic Preservation/Architecture program, where I documented what was left of the 10 Japanese-American Internment camps throughout the country. Tule Lake was one of them, of course, although, iirc, it was one that didn't have very much left. I did my thesis project at Manzanar (design only, not built, of course), since it was one that had more left from that time, with the idea of how do we commemorate the darker parts of our history.

(I also visited Crater Lake as part of that trip - I drove from Champaign to Arkansas, down to Arizona, all through California, through Oregon to Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, and then back home. Crater Lake was beautifully blue when I was there, but it was cold overnight when I camped there! Then, I drove east to Idaho through some very not-well-traveled back roads, as I recall)
That was a heck of a road trip you took and wow, you sure dug deep into this small slice of our history. I'll bet that was a pretty cool thesis! I really love the topic as it's a currently relevant topic.

Yes, Crater can get VERY cold, but also get a crapton of snow. As for Idaho... see any banjos? ;)

Wow! What a great opening!
Nice shot!

Thanks, while we saw a lot of windmills on this trip, this was the most fun to stop and photograph. Why? It was easy to access, there were NO power lines near it to wreck the photo (I haven't taught myself how to remove them with PS yet) and I liked scenery around it, including the few wisps of clouds. :)

Oh dear.
Bet those knuckles were white on the wheel!

Yeah, kinda.
I had no idea there'd be that much of an elevation change.

I know!! Nor did I, but all the mining towns we went to had similar elevation changes including Jerome, AZ and Bodie, CA.

Hmmm...
No guardrails?

Yes, but the local who drove it too fast were also cutting the corners and giving me plenty of "Oh, Crap! moments.

Well, that was succinct! :laughing:

I can be that way when I get lazy with my writing.

So that's how it started!
I don't foresee it changing anytime soon.

Whoa. Look at that. No wonder they started digging for gold.
I know!! The colors were absolutely incredible in and around the mining towns.
I like that smell too.
Never associated it with mold, though, and actually think there was none. You'd smell something quite different, I think, if there was some.

I honestly don't know WHAT makes that unique scent, but I sure love it.
Poor Zach! But... that's what kids are for. Not getting the bed.

Correct.
Like the sloped ceiling.

It was such cool architecture. Love historic stuff!
Uh, huh. Tell that to all the bodies on Everest!
That was just too far, it's too high, too cold, the air too thin, too remote....
There you guys are. You look pretty happy. :)

We were, I confess, having an absolute ball!
What?!?!? Sacrilege!

I do have friends, men and women, who do on occasion, but just not my thing.
Oh.
And here I thought you participated in gun fights over gold, card games, that sort of stuff...

Only when I must.
Lovely photo of you. :)
Why thank you. :)
So did you play? Or just pose?

I didn't have any quarters, so was just being silly. BUT, I do kinda like how it turned out. :)
Now that's a name for a saloon! :faint:

RIGHT?! I did read a history on it HERE and HERE. Fasconating!

Heh. Did you zip out faster than you ambled in?
Actually, we kinda took our time and went upstairs, walked the length of the hall, came out the back (on the uphill side on the street our B&B was on) and poked around. It was super cool and very interesting.

Thanks, while we saw a lot of windmills on this trip, this was the most fun to stop and photograph. Why? It was easy to access, there were NO power lines near it to wreck the photo (I haven't taught myself how to remove them with PS yet) and I liked scenery around it, including the few wisps of clouds. :)
So... win, win, and... win.
I know!! Nor did I, but all the mining towns we went to had similar elevation changes including Jerome, AZ and Bodie, CA.
Huh. I thought you'd have known. New area for you too!
Yes, but the local who drove it too fast were also cutting the corners and giving me plenty of "Oh, Crap! moments.
Ugh. :sad2:
Stay in your lane!
I can be that way when I get lazy with my writing.
I know!! The colors were absolutely incredible in and around the mining towns.
:faint:
It was such cool architecture. Love historic stuff!
Me too. :)
That was just too far, it's too high, too cold, the air too thin, too remote....
But, but, but... you said "Nothing is too far to walk to"...
I do have friends, men and women, who do on occasion, but just not my thing.
Nor mine. I will puff on one for a birth, for example, but that's about it.
I didn't have any quarters, so was just being silly. BUT, I do kinda like how it turned out. :)
It is a nice shot. :)
Actually, we kinda took our time and went upstairs, walked the length of the hall, came out the back (on the uphill side on the street our B&B was on) and poked around. It was super cool and very interesting.
"Zach, however, did not survive."

I can give the two-sentence synopsis: Silver and gold were found in these mountains in 1850, but not as much as of either was found as most of the prospectors/claim-stakers had hoped. As with all mining ventures, a few with good business sense and more luck than others managed to do quite well hitting the literal jackpot. They became senators, and thus began the long and continuing saga of fat cats in government.
Is there ever enough gold/silver/oil? ;) The Comstock Lode isn't as well known as some of the other famous gold/silver rushes.
Some of the old buildings here in V.C. were reminiscent of Haunted Mansion, others more like Pirates of the Caribbean. I took a few photos of our room before we set out to find some local fun. With all of the modern conveniences, it still had that old timey charm:
The B&B is gorgeous. Of course you had a quilt on the bed. :)
Little did we know that V.C. has a long history of hauntings.
I love spooky old towns. They give me the creeps but in a good way.
Making our way towards the next block up where our B&B was, we cut through a hotel that was wide open and dimly lit; the smell of "old" lured us in.
This would be interesting but creepy, too. We explored the famous Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. It is supposed to be haunted and it felt like it was, especially the hallways. They filmed the movie, The Shining, there.

Were there lots of tourists in town? It sounds like mostly locals were hanging around.

Picking up our story with the frustration and gnashing of teeth
I thought it was WAILING and gnashing of teeth.

We’d been on the trail since 7:00, and since I can’t remember with even the most vague thought of what we had for lunch
But lunch was after 9, right? I thought it was remembering breakfast after 9 that was problematic.

Once out of the nightmare of the maze of Reno
Never been.to Reno and now I wonder if I ever want to.

The (newer) road itself from Reno to V.C. is extremely twisty and the locals use it as their daily spin on the go-cart track.
Huh? So, it's a go cart track or they use it as if it were?

To say driving it was at times terrifying would be a gross understatement.
Because it was twisty or because of go carts?

Nevertheless, by 6:15 or so we arrived…
Whew.

and its sister towns of Silver City
Think I've bee to Silver City.

I learn best by exploring and doing
::yes:: ditto

But not before admiring our beautiful, lucky find. 'B' Street Bed and Breakfast was easy to find as there’s really only one main road- C Street;
So, B street B&B is on C street? Bizarre.

But there was more than a few times Zach or I would comment on “that scent” wishing we could bottle it up and take it home.
So, they had piped in scents like Disney resorts?

Why, yes, I did make Zach sleep on the floor.
@Captain_Oblivious got nicer and you took over his mean parent status?

and we were warned by our lodging’s matron that it would also be hard to even find dinner past 8:00, so we got a move on.
Ruh roh.

Makes one contemplative.

Minnisota fats, meet Kentucky contemplative.

By now, only one place in town was serving food.
This can't bode well.

something to the effect that while it was okay to explore, we ask you please be considerate as guests are sleeping after 10:00.
Wish Disney would do that! Of course, that would mean they'd have to care.

That was a heck of a road trip you took and wow, you sure dug deep into this small slice of our history. I'll bet that was a pretty cool thesis! I really love the topic as it's a currently relevant topic.
It was quite the road trip! I also started out with a side trip to DC, to the National Archives, where I was able to get copies of some of the original plans and see historic photos. Conveniently, I also was able to stay with a classmate's parents, to defray costs. I hadn't really known anything about them when I started, but now I keep seeing references all over the place. (My history education was severely lacking - we learned the same few things repeatedly, and skipped over everything else, it seemed like!) But, yes, a fascinating trip. I was able to stay with friends and relatives along the way at times, plus a combination of camping, hostels, and cheap motels. My sister once picked up my thesis booklet and said later that she figured she would put it down when she got bored, and she ended up reading the whole thing!

Yes, Crater can get VERY cold, but also get a crapton of snow. As for Idaho... see any banjos? ;)

Thankfully, no snow at Crater Lake when I was there! As for Idaho, no banjos, tho I remember being happy to hear something besides country music on the radio when I was driving through Boise.

Awesome photo!

However, here is the Wiki article of both the Comstock Highway and another of the general history of the town of Virginia City should you be interested in getting a bit of backstory aside from my own commentary.

Well, I don't have a ton of time on my hands right now...

Warning, the 2nd article is long and detailed, a skimming is good,

Eh, getting a bit warmer.

or I can give the two-sentence synopsis:

Ding! We have a winner! :rotfl2:

But not before admiring our beautiful, lucky find. 'B' Street Bed and Breakfast was easy to find as there’s really only one main road- C Street; only 2 or 3 short roads parallel it the distance of "town".

Creative street names in this town.

Walking in took us instantly back 150 years with that intoxicating smell of “old”. Perhaps it was a hint of mold, maybe aging lumber….

Ah, that smell of grandma's house. Funny how smells take you back.

Darn right. You pay for the room, you make the rules.

Looks like a cool little town!

I don't think I'd want a cigar for dinner, but different strokes, I guess.

At first it seemed a little strange that a hotel would just leave its door open, but a sign near the entrance read something to the effect that while it was okay to explore, we ask you please be considerate as guests are sleeping after 10:00.

Something tells me you wouldn't find this policy in too many hotels across the country.

I is for: Into the Past

Just south of the Oregon-California border I spotted some old, weathered buildings that looked like a ghost town. I am one to never pass up browsing around a ghost town and quickly pulled the car over to read the signs along the road. Everything was gated and barbed wired, but here is what we stumbled on (This was not planned, and we happened upon it wholly accidentally.):

It’s just not taught anymore, but here stood a tangible testament that served to remind us that there was a time that terrible things happened, and one group of people was singled out for the sole reason of race. We need places like this to continue to provide concrete reminders where one can go and be led to places of deep contemplation and fresh realization. Even if they are of figures who committed unsavory acts of hate. There not to celebrate, but to commemorate. And learn. There is no better teacher than seeing things with one’s own eyes; reading in books just can’t do the same thing.

Among the people who were sent there was George Takei's family.
He's written a book about it - “
They Called Us Enemy” , and starred in a Broadway Musical - "Allegiance", which was based on the book.

That’s amazing! I had no idea!! I will definitely put that on my reading list or maybe better yet watch the musical! Thanks for That little tidbit! I had no idea.

I'm finally caught back up on this report. I'm still so far behind from not have power and our trip happening back to back.

I 100% understand that!! It always takes quite a while, at least for me, to get back into the swing of things after a trip.

I'm so happy we finally got to meet face to face! I really enjoyed our visit. I hope we can meet in the bubble in the future.
YES!! And YES!!

Huh. I thought you'd have known. New area for you too!

Yes, it was a new area, and one I'd love to visit again. :)

But, but, but... you said "Nothing is too far to walk to"...

Everest is too much everything else, but too "far"? Hmmm, let me check the distance and I'll get back to you. ;)

Nor mine. I will puff on one for a birth, for example, but that's about it.

Yeah, I can't even bring myself to try it. The smell is so overpowering I can only imagine the taste is even stronger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter