The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

Checked out the link “The Ritz we ain’t “ had me laughing from the start. Loved your photos especially the winding stairs and agree with you that we need to preserve some of history in order to fully understand it and to ensure that it is not forgotten. That way we can make sure the future is better for all.
Now I’m away to find out what a sharecropper is/was.
Wasn't that a hoot?! :rotfl2: Thanks!! Sometimes I see something that strikes my artistic side's fancy.

You sure do find some interesting places to visit, as well as what I would consider scary places to stay. But when you think about it, all you really need is a clean room with a bed and a bathroom.
I really wanted to "sink" in to the culture and try to get a more authentic look at what locals in each place would do and see. Sure, some places were made for tourists, but a lot of times on this trip we went off the beaten bath to see the REAL locations. :) Neither of us had a ton of money either so some of that was out of necessity.
Congratulations! That must be a huge relief. :)
YES!!!!!

Congrats on passing with flying colors! I knew you could do it.
Thank you, Vanessa! And thank you for sticking with me! I know I've been not here more than here lately. I really hope to finish up this report before I head out to my travels for the next couple of months. :)
Kentucky has been in my thoughts. It has seen more than it's fair share of mother nature.
Awww, thank you for thinking of us here. The flooding was well to the east of us, but affected so many people there. Just awful destruction.
Really enjoyed this last update. I appreciated it more having seen "Elvis" having just read "The Saints of Swallow Hill". The book didn't have sharecroppers but turpentine workers living in shacks and owing the company for everything. Their release on the weekends was the juke joint.
I'm sure it was a very interesting book to read for sure! And yes, the concept was probably much the same. Horrible conditions. :(

Congratulations!
Why thank you so much!!! And welcome!!! I know I'm lame at keeping this TR alive and active, but school sort of consumed my life there for about 4 months! LOL, now that everything is turned in I can keep working at finishing this up. :) There's still a bit more I want to share, so stay tuned!

Ah. So not eaten by gators.
I wasn't sure.
No, but there were a few that could have done the job.
So you're saying you fit right in.
Just one of the menagerie!
Um... wouldn't perfect timing be if the rain started after you were back on dry land and in your car???
Nah, it wasn't that bad. Just a light drizzle, but enough to get us damp.
I get it's named after him, but... they might want to rethink their name?
I was thinking the window art was..... sketchy.
I had no idea!! I just assumed it had something to do with alcohol. Huh!
Nope!! Now ya know!
Looks a tad... rustic.
Yes, that would describe it quite well.
I agree. "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it"
YEP!!! With human trafficking that has far, far surpassed what US slavery has been makes me wonder if we are just not very good at learning. Maybe instead of being to hyper-focused on that, we should do something about what's happening right now. ??
Cotton!
I've never seen a field of cotton in bloom.
Arctic cotton, but not this.
It's super pretty to see, actually. I grew up in Cali where there was a lot of cotton grown. We'd see it quite a bit when we'd drive from there to Arizona for vacations.
Sounds like a pretty cool place.
It has so much interesting stuff!!
Oh, sure. When I think "Blues" I always think Argentina.

:rolleyes1
LOL!!!! The whole thing was so bizarre!
:laughing: Of course you did!
It's all they had! YOu could choose spaghetti or a meatball sammie.
Hey! That's great! Congrats!
Thanks!!! Anxious for my last paper to pass!

Reactions: H2E

No, but there were a few that could have done the job.
I have no doubt...
Just one of the menagerie!
:laughing:
I was thinking the window art was..... sketchy.
Yeah... you'd think with that name they might wanna... do something about that.
YEP!!! With human trafficking that has far, far surpassed what US slavery has been makes me wonder if we are just not very good at learning. Maybe instead of being to hyper-focused on that, we should do something about what's happening right now. ??
:sad2:
LOL!!!! The whole thing was so bizarre!
Very!
Thanks!!! Anxious for my last paper to pass!
I'm sure you'll ace it. ::yes::

First, CONGRATULATIONS on passing your ginormous test!!!! So proud of you :)

cotton gin (did you know that's short for "engine"? I was this years old when I learned that.)
Add me to the list of people who did not know that...

This whole nonsense of tearing stuff down because it offends us is sad to me. I cannot change the past, but by seeing it I can ponder on it and change the future.
Preach on, ma'am!! I'm with you.

H is for: HOME!!! We Are HOME!!

And at long last I’ve made it to our last day on this EPIC cross-country road trip- the final saga of fleeing Oregon and becoming a Kentucky Woman. It was full of adventure, we saw and experienced some incredible scenery and culture, and enjoyed each other’s road-tripping company along the way.

Today's journey would let us knock off 5 more states on our long list: Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, and Kentucky! But, by now we were both weary of travel and anxious to be “home”. As such, there were only a couple of stops we’d planned from our route between Clarksdale, MS and Bowling Green, KY.

My folks had highly recommended the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY; having been an avid quilter once upon a million years ago, I added it to the agenda. And boy am I glad I did! We quickly found a parking spot and made our way into the welcome desk area. I told her we’d like 2 tickets and the cashier asked if I was a first responder or healthcare worker.

“Why yes, yes, I am!”

“Great, you get in free today- you and your guest!”.

YAY!

Off we went to take in all of the amazing artwork that was displayed inside. Folks, this museum is so, so worth it. The quilts are absolutely amazing in detail and craftsmanship. There are hundreds of quilts, and the exhibitions are both permanent and rotating with some rooms displaying themed exhibits. When we were there, a touching display of quilts made in honor or remembrance of 9/11 was there.

I won’t belabor the stop, and just post some photos of a few of them. 😊

I really loved this one, as Zach and I had just gotten to spend some time in Northern Arizona in Page and the slot canyons.

After we'd seen our fill, we needed to get on the road so we could make it in time for a very late dinner. But first, we wanted to drive through the scenic National Park called "Land Between the Lakes". In addition to some lovely, forested land with lakes and rivers, the park has a bison preserve and some other big game. I was all ramped up when I whipped out my National Parks card to use one last time this trip, but was irritated to find out it wasn't good for the Bison Preserve. Fine. Be that way.

So I paid $12 to see... no bison. However, we could hear some elk bugling in the distance and were very hopeful. The loop drive is just gorgeous and indeed, we did come across this majestic beast around one of the bends. So beautiful and so BIG!!

Trekking on, we arrived after 2 full weeks of seeing America, The Beautiful. I am so glad I planned the route as I did and was so happy we got to see so many amazing places. All told, we'd hit Oregon, California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, and Kentucky. 13 states and well over 3,000 miles.

The highlights were sleeping on Navajo Land and falling asleep to drumming and chanting in Monument Valley, the Slot Canyons, the Bayou Swamp Tour and meeting Vanessa (@vamassey1 ), feeding wild donkeys, all of the live music we got to hear, and just mother/son travel time.

I just don't know yet if I've decided to do or not do my Disney 50th Anniversary Trip part. It was equally amazing with some super fun stuff, especially staying in the Poly Bungalow, but time is a commodity and I have very little with studying and upcoming travel again. Maybe y'all can talk me into it! We'll see.... Thank you from the bottom of my heart for joining me on this wild ride. It's been so fun to stay in touch with those who stuck it out. Thank you for the kind words of encouragement as I work my way through this challenging journey of NP school too!

Until next time, my friends, be well, stay safe, and stay in touch!!

Last edited:
... Stupid DIS
:lmao:
One wonders what happened here.
H is for: HOME!!! We Are HOME!!
You made it!
the final saga of fleeing Oregon and becoming a Kentucky Woman.
My folks had highly recommended the National Quilt Museum
Not my cup of tea.
(Actually, a cup of tea is not really my cup of tea either.)
the cashier asked if I was a first responder or healthcare worker.

“Why yes, yes, I am!”

“Great, you get in free today- you and your guest!”.
And well deserved, too. I think the entire planet's health care system was stretched to the breaking point these past couple of years.
I won’t belabor the stop, and just post some photos of a few of them.
Must admit... pretty impressive, just the shear amount of detail in those works.
I was all ramped up when I whipped out my National Parks card to use one last time this trip, but was irritated to find out it wasn't good for the Bison Preserve.
Well... poop.
So I paid $12 to see... no bison.
Oh, no. :(
You should have come on my road trip. I saw... a few.
IMG_E9840-L.jpg
Wow! What an amazing shot! Great timing! I'll take that over a passel of bison any day.
All told, we'd hit Oregon, California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, and Kentucky. 13 states and well over 3,000 miles.
Impressive.
You may or may not have been a bit of an inspiration for my road trip. :)
Great shot of you two with the map. :)
I just don't know yet if I've decided to do or not do my Disney 50th Anniversary Trip part. It was equally amazing with some super fun stuff, especially staying in the Poly Bungalow, but time is a commodity and I have very little with studying and upcoming travel again.
I understand the time commitment, but... I for one really hope you write about it. :)
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for joining me on this wild ride.
Thanks so much for writing! I really enjoyed it. Quite the epic trip!

I have loved reading your fabulous report and kinda feel like I’ve taken a wee trip across the states with you. I’ve enjoyed learning a little bit of history along the way. You did indeed see and experience some amazing places and while I’m sure you were both ready to be home I’ve no doubt that the memories you’ve made will be visited often and cherished forever.

My folks had highly recommended the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY; having been an avid quilter once upon a million years ago, I added it to the agenda. And boy am I glad I did!
I used to make quilts and even belonged to a quilt guild. I've always wanted go to the annual quilt show in Paducah but it was always the same weekend as my daughter's birthday. I think I need to find a reason to head down there. :)

I am so glad I planned the route as I did and was so happy we got to see so many amazing places.
I've learned a lot from your odyssey. It was an amazing journey. :)
It was equally amazing with some super fun stuff, especially staying in the Poly Bungalow,
I would love to hear about the Poly bungalow. It is someplace that I will never stay, but it does look interesting. :)

Loved your report.

Best part was getting to finally meet you and Zach. I learned lots along the way. I've never had the talent for sewing but I do have a sister that made some beautiful quilts. The ones you photographed have so much detail.

I would love to hear about your 50th trip so add me to the list.

Loved your report.

Best part was getting to finally meet you and Zach. I learned lots along the way. I've never had the talent for sewing but I do have a sister that made some beautiful quilts. The ones you photographed have so much detail.

I would love to hear about your 50th trip so add me to the list.
Hey Sweet Lady! :goodvibes

Yes, indeed. They must have taken YEARS to finish.

Coming up shortly. I'm basically packed and don't know the title of my Pharmacology text, so am finding some free time until I hit the road again. Writing the first chapter now.

I don’t know if it’s possible to get much up of my WDW 50th Anniversary Trip, but I’m mostly packed for my upcoming travels to here and there and find myself with some very rare free time to write up some chapters to entertain you with. Well, at least I hope they’re entertaining! :laughing: Who knows anymore!

It's almost a year on now, and I’m just now getting around to even looking at the photos that I took. I have absolutely ZERO notes from this trip as I simply committed myself to being in the moment and enjoying all the 50th had to offer, the exquisite hotel rooms I was treated to compliments of some very good friends, and the company of wonderful folks! It wasn’t a long trip, but I did take my camera and did take the usual million photos.

So, if you’re still sticking it out, Kindly Step....

for a whirlwind trip that includes bit of luxury, some nice solo time to do my own thing, and some fun extras that I’d never have done without others’ generosity!!

A is for: Auspicious Arrival!

This trip was a year ago. A YEAR AGO!! :faint: But only 2 weeks from arriving in Bowling Green and I'd barely had time to unpack even a few boxes. Settling in would have to wait until after this trip! If you think I remember ANY details whatsoever, you are about to be grossly disappointed. I barely remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. Memory loss is a real thing. What I do know is that I flew there from Nashville on a 7:10AM flight on September 28th. I know that because it’s on my spreadsheet that I kept. I also know that my Fake ‘O Rail photo was taken at 10:03 so, it must have been an on-time arrival of 9:40AM. YAY for me! I also know that I got a $ixbucks latte before the flight and probably had to pee 4 or 5 times because... that's what I do when I fly. And yes, I still take a window seat. Sorry, not sorry. I really don't care for $ixbucks, but I digress...

My luggage miraculously arrived and I took a Lyft because I’m a snob and impatient. With ME gone for good it's good to note that, for a single it’s a bit more to take a Lyft but the same price for 2 or more travelers than to take the Mears. The time it saves me is worth the money, so I generally splurge for a few Lyfts during my trips now. Gone are WDW's glory days of perks like luggage schlepping and transfers.

My Venezuelan driver got me “home” snippy-snappy, and I was back in the bubble again. But where was “home” you may be asking… Well, Dear Reader, for our first night my amazing and generous friends, Pat and Marv (some of you may remember them from the DIS a long while ago!) had a Grand Flo Studio and invited me to camp in with them there as well as share their ENORMOUS Poly Bungalow for the remaining nights. I’d only spend a very few hours total at the Grand, but it was comfortable and very convenient as my first day was at EPCOT.

I dumped my bags off in the room quickly then high-tailed it off to the Highway in the Sky which zoomed me to EPCOT in no time. No doors were damaged in the transit of this passenger. Passing the Magic Kingdom, I wasn't one bit sorry. I like that park, but it's not my favorite and it's so crowded lately that it just feels very claustrophobic. See ya later MK, another day.

I LOVE that you go through security once now! What a HUGE improvement that the mono is now inside the security zone. It saves gobs of time and after a view of the grossness of what EPCOT was in October, 2021 I was ready to tackle The Park of Eternal Construction.

I’ll leave off here before diving into my lovely day which involved eating a gazillion calories, watching the very last ever showing of Illuminations, (But not just any viewing…. ;) ;) ) loads of Festival fun stuff, and just being in my solo zone doing my own thing. So, stay tuned. These chapters may come rapid fire, so buckle up, Caballero(a)s! Ye-haw!!

Keeping these chapters short and sweet. These are just warm up photos. Loads more to come. :)

Last edited:
B is for: Boat Rides and Big Bowls of Pho

Tapping in through the AP lane, it was time to conquer the park. Since most crowds had moved on to WS for lunch, I found some pretty short lines for everything I wanted to go on in Future World. SE just happened to be right there, so I took a spin through the history of human communication. I never get very good photos in here (well, unless I have the right lens on) but love the ride because I always seem to find new little details. And I guess I’m easy to amuse because the animation selfies always crack me up. I look like a complete dweeb in them every. single. time.

I am bound and determined to find the Hidden Mickey that I know must be hidden in this mural somewhere!!!

(Still the grooviest!)

Generally, one ride on SE is enough for a day. So, I took off for my 2nd favorite FW attraction- Living with the Land. I adore how they change it up to the season and Festival. Know what else I really like from this ride? The soundtrack. I cue it up pretty often on YouTube and play it for background study music. I’ve done the Behind the Seeds Tour a couple of times and would highly recommend it but, sadly, it is not one of the tours that has started back up. Another one that died a tragic Covid death.

The hangries were setting in so I skipped The Seas, didn’t want to stand in line for TT, passed up Soarin’, and headed to Figment. Nothing stirs up an appetite like the Smell Lab. Well, ok, maybe not very appetizing, but it’s a cute ride, nonetheless. Best of all, most of the time there is no wait.

Does anyone else remember road trips with siblings, "S/he touched me!!!"

Just as I got done using my Imagination, I had a bit of the real world intrude. In a good way. I received a message from my recruiter that a job had opened up in Bowling Green in the exact department I wanted and for the pay I was hoping for. It certainly put a spring into my step as I launched my conquest of Food and Wine. Basically, I spent 3 or 4 days negotiating and waiting for an interview (which I got and did on the Gorilla Falls Trail later in the trip) and then had to find a drug testing place which sucked the joy out of an entire day a couple of days after that. (More to come...)

Now, it was time for some food; let the feasting begin! I have no idea when I’d eaten last, nor what it could have been other than the obligatory Travel Latte. And what better way to kick off F&W than with a gigantic bowl of:

Chinese Char Siu Pork Udon with mushrooms, bok choy, and soy pickled egg – $5.50

This was HUGE! I literally couldn’t even finish it all and just like that, my hopes of trying a whole bunch more stuff went up in flames. Did I love it? It was probably my favorite dish of the entire Festival. I adored it! I just wished I’d had someone to share it with. Did it stop me from getting 2 more drinks and 2 more dishes. No. But for that you’ll have to wait, as I’m trying to keep these very short so you can read a whole chapter in one bathroom trip.

Until next time! Ciao!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter