The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

Hey Everyone, I love that whoever is reading this... is. But right now, I have barely enough energy to simply type up some terrible text and attach my photos. I haven't visited a single thread of yours since I pulled out of Tucson, and for that I feel incredibly guilty. I love reading your stories as well and keeping up with you, my friends. But life is going to keep me beyond busy for the next 14 weeks, as I pull 14 hour days either working (in the hardest unit I have ever done- post cardiac care) or studying for the hardest class I've ever taken.

If I am completely honest with myself, I don't even know if I will be able to pull away from this class to answer replies, although I am reading them all as they come in. This season will come to an end, either successfully or not, by the end of August and after that I may have a little more time to be here. But I would love any hellos and happy thoughts as I trudge through the next few weeks.

IMG_9691%20%28Edited%29-L.jpg

Welcome to Louisiana!

The place was hopping when we arrived and we didn’t have to wait long for Vanessa ( @vamassey1 ) to join us from Baton Rouge. Huzzah, after “knowing” her since 2008 or something, it was amazing to finally get to hug my friend! 😊 Thank you, Vanessa for making the drive over to meet up with us!

I'm so thrilled we finally got to meet face to face after so many years. I enjoyed visiting with you and Zach. The atmosphere of Pat's was so relaxing.

Vanessa had some casserole-like dish… (Vanessa, help me out here!) that looked great!

I had crab meat au gratin and a stuffed potato. I ended up taken half of it home for lunch the next day.

Besides, it was getting late, Vanessa had driven a long way to see us, and it wasn’t Zydeco anyways.

The music was good but it was swamp pop.

Anyway, Zach and I checked into our little rustic cabin at the Bayou Cabins of Breaux Bridge. Rustic being the operative word here.

These are very rustic but I love the setting and your picture.

I will say that this was tied for the major highlight of this entire trip. The other was the slot canyon tour near Page, AZ. It was exotic and unique to us, the weather was perfect, our guide was phenomenal, and for $150 for the two us, it was well worth it!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit.

Your pictures are gorgeous. I can't pick a favorite. I love the cypress trees, moss and wildlife you captured. John James Audubon would be proud.

Next time you come we need to make reservations to eat at Houmas House and tour the house and grounds. Houmas House Believe it or not I have never been but Michelle has several times. It's kind of on the way to New Orleans.

Wow, the bayou had fake birds in it! Seems like something one would find at a place like Disney's Blue Bayou restaurant, but I'm surprised that a real bayou had fake birds.

I love your bayou pictures. I didn't expect it to be nice and sunny. I always picture a bayou to be shady and overhung with trees - and full of mosquitoes!

Good luck with the next 14 weeks. We'll still be here when you get back. :)

I like all the photos and you look like you had a great journey and visit that day but I like this photo best. It looks like the plant has spawned and is growing out of your finger.
Good luck with your upcoming schooling and working. I know that you will do great at it.

Instead, we rolled on because when in Louisiana, laissez les bons temps rouler.
Yes, ma'am!! My Grandma's favorite city was New Orleans, so she took each of us in turn, and we all fell in love with it--the culture, the people, the history! When in LA, you MUST let the good times roll!! :)
Such a nice picture of you both!!! So nice to have a DIS meet on your journey through!
(I always wondered where the fleur de lis' inspiration came from! ;) )
My Mom has a painting very similar to this, and when she got it I literally thought the same thing!

All of the pictures are gorgeous, as always! You have SUCH an eye for capturing the beauty all around--I really enjoyed the birds on fake birds, LOL, and my gator loving boys would really enjoy all the alligator pics you captured!

The drive from San Antonio was long. Very long. I hate that drive.
So... you're saying it's not the best drive you've ever done?
Hard to tell, you should try to be less vague.

:rolleyes:
I mean southern Texas is fine if you like brushy and brown landscape with little topography.
Ah! So you're saying dull... but nowhere near Saskatchewan dull.

Got it.
No, we didn’t stop at the Space Center, but I fixed that on my trip home this time last month.
You did! Cool! Photos?
That's been on my bucket list for a very long time.
Instead, we rolled on because when in Louisiana, laissez les bons temps rouler.
:laughing:
If we’d kept going, we could have Rolled Tide.
Umm... You'd have gone all the way to Alabama? Or am I missing something?
Peace on, Sistah!
Like this shot with the reflection.
If it swam or crawled in the brackish bayou at one point in it’s salty sea life, it was probably on our table that night.
So you're saying you had a delicious meal of beetle larvae, dragonfly, pond skimmer, water boatmen, giant water bug, and flat worm?
Looks like my kind of place... minus all the bugs they serve, of course.
The place was hopping when we arrived and we didn’t have to wait long for Vanessa ( @vamassey1 ) to join us from Baton Rouge.
Hey! That's great!
Huzzah, after “knowing” her since 2008 or something, it was amazing to finally get to hug my friend!
I've known her for a while too and would love to meet her someday. :)
Wonderful shot of you two lovely ladies. :)
(I always wondered where the fleur de lis' inspiration came from! ;) )
:sad2:
Somewhere in graveyards all over France and Quebec, bodies are spinning.
Zach and I ended up ordering some sort of Shrimp extravaganza which was basically fried shrimp in about a dozen iterations.
mmmmm... yes please.
The mints at the register tasted an awful lot like Tums.
Probably out of necessity. :laughing:
Wow, that looks good!
Vanessa had some casserole-like dish… (Vanessa, help me out here!) that looked great!
Looks almost like a Shepperd's pie?
there was a band playing in the bar portion on the way there. We also learned that the cover charge was more than what we’d paid for dinner.
:eek:
I really like this shot of Vanessa. Really nice.
the signs on the doors entertained us.
Unless of course you're a parent who just let their toddler wander off unsupervised... which seems to be more and more the norm these days.

:rolleyes1
it wasn’t Zydeco anyways.
Yes... had to Google...
You might be asking yourself what the difference between a swamp and a bayou is.
::yes::

And now I know.

I just assumed it was a creole term for "swamp".
Anyway, Zach and I checked into our little rustic cabin at the Bayou Cabins of Breaux Bridge. Rustic being the operative word here. While not truly sceevy, they were probably like Huckleberry Finn slept in.
Those look both... definitely rustic... but pretty cool, too. :)
The walls of our particular cabin were literally “papered” with newspaper from the 40s and 50s. Not kidding.
I like that!
After a peek out the backdoor which hung out over the bayou,
For a minute there, I envisioned the toilet being a hole that emptied into the bayou! :eek:
*I* got up early enough to head out and find a latte. Which I did, then promptly dropped and spilled.
facepalm_zpsb4hvgtwd.gif

I did not go back for another one, because I was too embarrassed. Wanna know why? Because I was so ramped up about being at our tour in time and not sure where I was going that I started to leave without paying.
Our Liesa, the hardened criminal.
The obviously irritated waitress half yelled at me to tell me to pony up. Oops.
You're lucky she didn't whip out a gun and start shooting!

(Latte theft is a serious crime in some parts, ya know.)
Under-caffeinated we arrived at the Lake Martin boat ramp and enjoyed a 2-hour long private tour of the Lake Martin Bayou.
Nice! (the 2 hour private tour part... not the under-caffeinated part.)
NAfter decades of hunting for an alligator in Florida and spotting exactly one, and that one only a fleeting glance from the Fake-o-rail, I was ridiculously excited to finally get to see some.
Finally!
I’ll spare you the suspense and tell you we saw many. And it was cool as crap.
:goodvibes Glad you finally got that taken care of.
We also saw several species of herons, loads of other birds, frogs, snails, dragonflies, ducks, turtles. For this gal, it was fascinating and other-worldly.
And you got some great shots of said critters, too!
Our guide was sooooo good. His father has a degree in bayou biology and taught him a ton that he was able to pass on to us.
Wow! You really lucked out in the tour guide department!
He also took the time to maneuver the boat so that the light fell on the animals so I could take some fantastic photos.
That's even more impressive. That's an almost unheard of skill.
I will say that this was tied for the major highlight of this entire trip. The other was the slot canyon tour near Page, AZ.
High praise!
Know that entry scene on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at DLR? That would be exactly this.
Cool! :)
Love all the Spanish moss.
Nice!
You definitely saw your gators! :laughing:
Good for you!
Is that a crab on his nose?
Nice sharp shot. :thumbsup2
I like the colour and the angle on this one. ::yes::
Cool! What is that?
Ribbet...
(Birds on fake birds. Cracked me up.)
:worship:
Where is that heron? That don't look like no bayou to me.
Another really crisp shot. :thumbsup2
I have barely enough energy to simply type up some terrible text and attach my photos.
Oh dear. :(
Take care of yourself, okay?
But life is going to keep me beyond busy for the next 14 weeks, as I pull 14 hour days either working (in the hardest unit I have ever done- post cardiac care) or studying for the hardest class I've ever taken.
:faint:
You sure know how to fill up your time?
I'm exhausted just reading about it!!
You must have no time to even breathe, let alone keep up with TRs or other personal things.
But I would love any hellos and happy thoughts as I trudge through the next few weeks.
:wave:

I am indeed alive, but still settling in after spending a couple of weeks on the road and moving back to Bowling Green. Basically, the minute I arrived I dove into my first graduate level class for my Nurse Practitioners degree and am already more than halfway done with that class. Just in time too. I start another travel assignment up on Louisville on Monday (EEK!, tomorrow!) and needed to have that class behind me so I can switch gears and focus on 1) the massive stress that always comes with the first 2 weeks of a new workplace, and 2) the even bigger stress of the hardest class of this degree, Pathophysiology. I do not lie when I say the textbook is a full 4" thick.
Good luck with your classes and your new job!
The place was hopping when we arrived and we didn’t have to wait long for Vanessa ( @vamassey1 ) to join us from Baton Rouge. Huzzah, after “knowing” her since 2008 or something, it was amazing to finally get to hug my friend! 😊 Thank you, Vanessa for making the drive over to meet up with us!
So nice to meet up with Vanessa!

Hey Everyone, I love that whoever is reading this... is. But right now, I have barely enough energy to simply type up some terrible text and attach my photos. I haven't visited a single thread of yours since I pulled out of Tucson, and for that I feel incredibly guilty. I love reading your stories as well and keeping up with you, my friends. But life is going to keep me beyond busy for the next 14 weeks, as I pull 14 hour days either working (in the hardest unit I have ever done- post cardiac care) or studying for the hardest class I've ever taken.

If I am completely honest with myself, I don't even know if I will be able to pull away from this class to answer replies, although I am reading them all as they come in. This season will come to an end, either successfully or not, by the end of August and after that I may have a little more time to be here. But I would love any hellos and happy thoughts as I trudge through the next few weeks.

Did you try any Nutria

Welcome to Louisiana!
Thanks!
I'm so thrilled we finally got to meet face to face after so many years. I enjoyed visiting with you and Zach. The atmosphere of Pat's was so relaxing.
I am too! And I hope we can enjoy another meet up again soon.
I had crab meat au gratin and a stuffed potato. I ended up taken half of it home for lunch the next day.
Leftovers are the BEST!
The music was good but it was swamp pop.
Next time I end up in LA, I'll have to hunt some down.
Next time you come we need to make reservations to eat at Houmas House and tour the house and grounds. Houmas House Believe it or not I have never been but Michelle has several times. It's kind of on the way to New Orleans.
That sounds amazing!! I looked at their website and it is gorgeous!
Good luck! I have faith in you to "git ur done".
I really hope so!!

Great update. So good you and Vanessa got to meet up. Amazing photography as always.
Good luck for the next couple months. Keep on keepin on. You'll get there I’ve no doubt! Just remember to eat ( and sleep)
Thanks!!! :) And yes, it was nice to finally meet her! :)

I'll update you all as I progress.... today was hormones and glands.

I love your bayou pictures. I didn't expect it to be nice and sunny. I always picture a bayou to be shady and overhung with trees - and full of mosquitoes!

Good luck with the next 14 weeks. We'll still be here when you get back. :)
It rained in the last couple of minutes of our tour which was impeccable timing. I'd say about half of the water we could go on in the boat was shady and dense with trees and moss, and the other half open lake. Oddly, no mosquitos at all.

Thanks, I'm going to need it!

I like all the photos and you look like you had a great journey and visit that day but I like this photo best. It looks like the plant has spawned and is growing out of your finger.

Good luck with your upcoming schooling and working. I know that you will do great at it.
It looked like a giant Corona virus. LOL!!!

Thanks, Judy! I'm going to need it1

Yes, ma'am!! My Grandma's favorite city was New Orleans, so she took each of us in turn, and we all fell in love with it--the culture, the people, the history! When in LA, you MUST let the good times roll!! :)
I've only been once and enjoyed my short 1-day visit. But loved the time we spend in the smaller cities as we passed through this time.
Such a nice picture of you both!!! So nice to have a DIS meet on your journey through!
It really was so nice to finally meet her! She a real sweetie pie!
My Mom has a painting very similar to this, and when she got it I literally thought the same thing!
LOL!!! I really got a chuckle out of it.
All of the pictures are gorgeous, as always! You have SUCH an eye for capturing the beauty all around--I really enjoyed the birds on fake birds, LOL, and my gator loving boys would really enjoy all the alligator pics you captured!
Thanks, Jackie! :) It was such a fun and unique place to find some new photo fodder. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter