The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

I kind of wish I’d had a bit more time in San Antonio having not seen the Riverwalk
Sounds like you won't be going through there this trip, but maybe on your return next winter (or subsequent trips back and forth in the future) you can stop in and stay a bit. :)
We packed up our things, which was everything since the company at the pool left little to be trusted in the car.
:rolleyes1
IMG_9641%20%28Edited%29-L.jpg
Cool! I've never seen a live one outside a cage.
(Please excuse the janky nails and cuticles; we'd been camping road tripping for quite a while by now!)
Oh, yes. That's the first thing I noticed.
"What's with the janky nails and cuticles??? Oh. There's also a praying mantis."
Lady's Secret roll-on is no match for a Southern Summer.
:laughing:
They let me in anyways
:lmao:
constructed in 1915 for the Flour/Grain Baron of historic San Antonio. The Pioneer Flour Mill is still in operation
How cool is that?
It amazes me when a business can boast to being over a hundred years old. So many things have disappeared or been replaced over the decades... but this one is still going.
(It says: "Original millstone used for grinding wheat from 1859-1893. Millstone was imported from France. It arrived in Indianola, Texas by ship then moved by oxen wagon to San Antonio.)
I find it fascinating to realize that there was a time, not that long ago when something like that had to be imported from the old world and couldn't be manufactured here.
I’d rather wait for half an hour and have any table I want over waiting for half an hour and getting stuck by the bussing station.
Totally agree!
We chose a table in the sunny solarium style “Tea Room” and ogled at the leaded windows, Art Nouveau lines, and original fixtures from the time of construction. It really is quite a lovely venue.
Really looks nice. :)
Beautiful
The menu is not overly extensive
I know what I'd have. ::yes::
That 1851 Platter sounds juuuuust about right.
Now that is an awesome light! I really like it!
The meal was quite delicious! Truly it was gravy-done-right… and I’m a gravy snob. The consistency was neither too thick and gloppy, nor too thin and runny. It had loads of sausage flavor but wasn't too salty. The biscuits indeed lived up to all the hype and were as light and fluffy as Grandma’s feather bed. I chose apricot preserves which added a nice sweet to the savory.
I'm so glad you had that as I was very puzzled by it.
We just don't do biscuits and gravy up here. I wouldn't know a good sausage gravy if it kicked me in the taste buds.
But... I don't understand the apricot preserve part? I thought the biscuit was supposed to be covered in gravy. Is it normal for the gravy to be on the side? I'm guessing you dip the biscuit in, then? Do you alternate between gravy and preserve? Do you do both at the same time?? What's the process here?
I have no idea what Zach got. His phone died yesterday and he lost all of his photos from the trip. Such a bummer!
Oh, no! That's too bad. :(
If I was 30-something I think it might be fun to purchase one, restore it well and start a B&B.

Sadly that ship has sailed; other things are on the horizon.
That would be pretty cool actually.
And while I wouldn't say the ship has sailed... you are presently going in a different direction. :)
While the previous edifice was impressive, I like this one much more. Gorgeous!

Yikes! You're more daring than I am. I would not touch that.

The Guenther House constructed in 1915 for the Flour/Grain Baron of historic San Antonio.

This sounds very interesting.

(It says: "Original millstone used for grinding wheat from 1859-1893. Millstone was imported from France. It arrived in Indianola, Texas by ship then moved by oxen wagon to San Antonio.)

Love the history!

. It opened at 8:00 and we were first by showing up at 7:30. I’d rather wait for half an hour and have any table I want over waiting for half an hour and getting stuck by the bussing station.

This reminds me of being at the turnstiles early for rope drop.

We chose a table in the sunny solarium style “Tea Room” and ogled at the leaded windows, Art Nouveau lines, and original fixtures from the time of construction. It really is quite a lovely venue.

You find the best places to eat.

After breakfast we took a short drive around the King William District which boasts quite a few historic mansion-type homes- some occupied and in great shape, some not so much.

I would love to see these houses too.

Although it is a National Park, Zach and I didn’t see a place to pay anything, which was good and bad. I mean, it’s great that it is apparently free to visit, but I sure would have loved to have been able to whip out that National Park Pass I’d bought!
A lot of the smaller parks have no entrance fees. I think they get supported from the fees collected at other, more popular parks.

I remember that building! So impressive to walk around. Nice shots.

As Z and I were figuring out how it all worked together a middle-aged guy was giving his family a tour and said that years ago he worked it as a docent giving the tours while he was getting his MA in History and was explaining the process, so it was like we got a free guided tour.
Score! What a great coincidence.

Seriously, what is wrong with people these days? Does no one have any regard for anyone else anymore, or is everyone totally clueless about the use the public space?
I don't know. If I had an answer, I'd have an idea for a solution. No one cares about anyone else anymore.

What I do know is that my bug bites were itching like crazy again and I thought that some water on them might relieve some of the itching.
Wow. That just looks awful!

It was also time to do a bit of laundry. Off to the pool we went, dropping off a load of laundry on the way. Unfortunately, a bunch of rude yahoos were in there with a gigantic speaker/amplifier/whatever blaring the most obscene, graphic rap and pop which made ANY chance of relaxing go up in smoke. A couple of the group were roaring drunk to boot and throwing F-bombs around like candy at a Christmas parade. #proudtobeaprude Did I mention there were kids in the pool?
Lovely. Restoring my faith in humanity.

I kind of wish I’d had a bit more time in San Antonio having not seen the Riverwalk, but new jobs and big moves don’t wait forever.
I'm surprised you didn't see it! It's only about a block or two from the Alamo. But now you have a reason to go back!

Guenther’s takes no reservations so if you don’t want to wait in line forever, you can wait forever before it opens to be first in. Which we did.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

The meal was quite delicious! Truly it was gravy-done-right… and I’m a gravy snob. The consistency was neither too thick and gloppy, nor too thin and runny. It had loads of sausage flavor but wasn't too salty. The biscuits indeed lived up to all the hype and were as light and fluffy as Grandma’s feather bed. I chose apricot preserves which added a nice sweet to the savory.
And served this way I can't quite call it s--- on a shingle, can I?

Great photos! Love your lodging! I'm not bothered by the lack of bad Thai food photos. I had a pretty good picture in my head. (That was from M by the way)

Just read about Roy's Cafe. That looks amazing! That chili-burger...looks amazing, but there isn't enough upholstery cleaner in the world for me to eat that before getting into a car. Those golden hour and night shows in that post were spot on though. Very nice!

I've just read of Donkey's and Bedbugs. Oh my! You really did have an adventure didn't you! I'll be back later to try to catch up some more.

Which we did. It opened at 8:00 and we were first by showing up at 7:30. I’d rather wait for half an hour and have any table I want over waiting for half an hour and getting stuck by the bussing station.
Agreed. Gotta rope drop everything!!
The biscuits indeed lived up to all the hype and were as light and fluffy as Grandma’s feather bed. I chose apricot preserves which added a nice sweet to the savory.
Glad you enjoyed....but...I just don't get that southern biscuits and gravy thing. Biscuits yes, bring on the carbs...but the gravy must be...an acquired taste ...which I have not acquired lol.

Agreed. Gotta rope drop everything!!

Glad you enjoyed....but...I just don't get that southern biscuits and gravy thing. Biscuits yes, bring on the carbs...but the gravy must be...an acquired taste ...which I have not acquired lol.
Biscuits and gravy yes. Grits no.

Surprisingly, we both slept quite well. Benedryl will do that, ya know. I kind of wish I’d had a bit more time in San Antonio having not seen the Riverwalk, but new jobs and big moves don’t wait forever.
I'm sorry you didn't get to see the Riverwalk. I think our first trip to San Antonio (our first trip as a couple waaaaaay back when) all we did was the Riverwalk.
The menu is not overly extensive, but everyone should find something to scratch that breakfast itch- from sweet to savory.
They seem quite focused on the Biscuits and Gravy.
The meal was quite delicious! Truly it was gravy-done-right… and I’m a gravy snob. The consistency was neither too thick and gloppy, nor too thin and runny. It had loads of sausage flavor but wasn't too salty.
If it's that good I can see why!
Onward and Eastward; goodbye San Antonio. Until next time!
I hope you have been able to get back there in your back and forthing between KY and AZ.

Hey howdy ho!!

I am indeed alive, but still settling in after spending a couple of weeks on the road and moving back to Bowling Green. Basically, the minute I arrived I dove into my first graduate level class for my Nurse Practitioners degree and am already more than halfway done with that class. Just in time too. I start another travel assignment up on Louisville on Monday (EEK!, tomorrow!) and needed to have that class behind me so I can switch gears and focus on 1) the massive stress that always comes with the first 2 weeks of a new workplace, and 2) the even bigger stress of the hardest class of this degree, Pathophysiology. I do not lie when I say the textbook is a full 4" thick.

Anyhow, I'm hoping to be done with both the class and my virtual onboarding early enough tomorrow that I can maybe get the next batch of photos edited and something of a poor excuse for writing for the next chapter.

Hope all y'all are doing well.

In other news, I've got a ladies trip cooking for Sept. 13-19 with @Malia78 and Mary Ellen (maybe some of you remember MEK?) and a nice lady I met while working with 2 travel assignments ago. She will be graduating with her NP degree just before we go so we'll have to celebrate all of her hard work and success!

Much love, Steppe!

You're so amazing, Liesa!! I love how dedicated you are to your career and always furthering your knowledge. Good luck with your new position in Louisville!

I am indeed alive, but still settling in after spending a couple of weeks on the road and moving back to Bowling Green.
Welcome home! Hope the road trip was good. :)
Basically, the minute I arrived I dove into my first graduate level class for my Nurse Practitioners degree and am already more than halfway done with that class. Just in time too. I start another travel assignment up on Louisville on Monday (EEK!, tomorrow!)
Holy cow...
You sure know how to work hard!
the massive stress that always comes with the first 2 weeks of a new workplace
But you'll rock it and do great!
the even bigger stress of the hardest class of this degree, Pathophysiology. I do not lie when I say the textbook is a full 4" thick.
:eek: :faint:
Anyhow, I'm hoping to be done with both the class and my virtual onboarding early enough tomorrow that I can maybe get the next batch of photos edited and something of a poor excuse for writing for the next chapter.
popcorn::

(but totally understand if you don't get it done for a while.)
Hope all y'all are doing well.
Fair to middlin' :)
In other news, I've got a ladies trip cooking for Sept. 13-19 with @Malia78 and Mary Ellen (maybe some of you remember MEK?)
I do remember, of course!
That sounds like a lot of fun.
September, you say?... Halloween party in the works?

Welcome back!

You have been busy. I know you'll continue to do great.

Your girls trip sounds so fun. I wish I could have come.

I am indeed alive, but still settling in after spending a couple of weeks on the road and moving back to Bowling Green.
Glad you're back home again (sort of, meaning sort of home, not sort of glad! :laughing: )
Pathophysiology. I do not lie when I say the textbook is a full 4" thick.
:eek:
In other news, I've got a ladies trip cooking for Sept. 13-19 with @Malia78 and Mary Ellen (maybe some of you remember MEK?) and a nice lady I met while working with 2 travel assignments ago.
Sounds like fun! Maybe soon I can plan a trip too!

F is for: Fisherman’s Wharf, Filé Gumbo, and other French Stuff

The drive from San Antonio was long. Very long. I hate that drive.

But we arrived and it was a WONDERFUL change of scenery. I mean southern Texas is fine if you like brushy and brown landscape with little topography. When the landscape turned green as we crept eastward of Houston it was such a (muggy) breath of fresh air! No, we didn’t stop at the Space Center, but I fixed that on my trip home this time last month. Instead, we rolled on because when in Louisiana, laissez les bons temps rouler. If we’d kept going, we could have Rolled Tide. We did not. We stopped in Lafayette.

At a specific place, in fact, for a good reason. Someone had recommended Pat’s Fisherman’s Wharf for a solid Cajun meal of everything greasy and fishy you could ever want. If it swam or crawled in the brackish bayou at one point in it’s salty sea life, it was probably on our table that night.

The place was hopping when we arrived and we didn’t have to wait long for Vanessa ( @vamassey1 ) to join us from Baton Rouge. Huzzah, after “knowing” her since 2008 or something, it was amazing to finally get to hug my friend! 😊 Thank you, Vanessa for making the drive over to meet up with us!

(I always wondered where the fleur de lis' inspiration came from! ;) )

She made some recommendations and Zach and I ended up ordering some sort of Shrimp extravaganza which was basically fried shrimp in about a dozen iterations. The mints at the register tasted an awful lot like Tums.

Vanessa had some casserole-like dish… (Vanessa, help me out here!) that looked great!

All too soon dinner was done but I hadn’t seen any gators yet. Not for lack of trying though! We all went out onto the outside patio to see if we could find any and learned there was a band playing in the bar portion on the way there. We also learned that the cover charge was more than what we’d paid for dinner.

No Cajun jammin' for us. However, the signs on the doors entertained us.

Besides, it was getting late, Vanessa had driven a long way to see us, and it wasn’t Zydeco anyways.

We said our goodbyes and headed to Breaux Bridge, 15 minutes further east down I-10. It’s a dinky little town on the Bayou Teche. You might be asking yourself what the difference between a swamp and a bayou is. I know I was. Here’s what I learned through some self-research and what our Swamp Tour Guide told us. Ironically, they are ALL called swamp tours even though they are in the Louisiana BAYOU. A swamp is an area of land that’s always wet, but with mostly standing water with no current, whereas a bayou is an area that’s wet but the water has a current. The current is usually slow, but fast enough to make the water turbid. Because the LA bayous are near the ocean and are affected to a small degree by tides, the water is brackish, meaning slightly salty. But what makes the LA bayous different (aside from them being called bayous, because there are other areas that have currents in the US (in the North, we called them “sloughs”)) is the specific mix of tree species, namely Bald Cypress and Tupelo. Here’s a super article on the flora and fauna of the LA bayous should you want to travel down a rabbit hole.

http://www2.tulane.edu/~bfleury/envirobio/swamp.html

Anyway, Zach and I checked into our little rustic cabin at the Bayou Cabins of Breaux Bridge. Rustic being the operative word here. While not truly sceevy, they were probably like Huckleberry Finn slept in. The walls of our particular cabin were literally “papered” with newspaper from the 40s and 50s. Not kidding. Made a visit to the bathroom… interesting. After a peek out the backdoor which hung out over the bayou, we headed to bed. It was well after dark, so even if there was any wildlife we wouldn’t have seen it.

We got up early the next morning with plenty of time to find our launch point for our swamp/bayou tour. *I* got up early enough to head out and find a latte. Which I did, then promptly dropped and spilled. I did not go back for another one, because I was too embarrassed. Wanna know why? Because I was so ramped up about being at our tour in time and not sure where I was going that I started to leave without paying. The obviously irritated waitress half yelled at me to tell me to pony up. Oops.

Under-caffeinated we arrived at the Lake Martin boat ramp and enjoyed a 2-hour long private tour of the Lake Martin Bayou. After decades of hunting for an alligator in Florida and spotting exactly one, and that one only a fleeting glance from the Fake-o-rail, I was ridiculously excited to finally get to see some. I’ll spare you the suspense and tell you we saw many. And it was cool as crap. We also saw several species of herons, loads of other birds, frogs, snails, dragonflies, ducks, turtles. For this gal, it was fascinating and other-worldly. Truly an amazing experience that I’d do again in a heartbeat. Our guide was sooooo good. His father has a degree in bayou biology and taught him a ton that he was able to pass on to us. He also took the time to maneuver the boat so that the light fell on the animals so I could take some fantastic photos. He really gave us patience and answered all of our questions.

I’ll keep the commentary brief and let the photos do the talking. (In the next post.) I will say that this was tied for the major highlight of this entire trip. The other was the slot canyon tour near Page, AZ. It was exotic and unique to us, the weather was perfect, our guide was phenomenal, and for $150 for the two us, it was well worth it! Being that it was a photographer’s Nirvana, there are a lot of pictures. Feel free to breeze on through, but I do think I captured the essence of the Bayou pretty well. It'd be fun to take a nighttime tour and see the fireflies. Know that entry scene on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at DLR? That would be exactly this.

After our tour we headed northwards out of Louisiana and and up into Mississippi along the Blues Highway. Another route that was highly recommended by my good friends, Greg and Marcia. Next up, Clarksdale, MS and the Shack Up Inn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter