The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

my mind was partly operational having been assaulted by Benedryl a few hours earlier. Between that and the toasty weather, staying awake had become increasingly difficult.
I'm surprised you could even function at all.
Sure, there wasn’t a big battle at San Jose,
That's not what that guy told me after his wife found him in the pantry with the cook.
Although it is a National Park, Zach and I didn’t see a place to pay anything, which was good and bad. I mean, it’s great that it is apparently free to visit, but I sure would have loved to have been able to whip out that National Park Pass I’d bought!
:laughing: Is this a first world problem?
IMG_5704-L.jpg
This intrigues me. My first thought was "defensive fortifications... rifle holes"... but then I thought... wait... mission... church... Would they fortify a church? Perhaps it's a method of letting in sunlight without letting in too much heat? :confused3
There are some very well done diorama type exhibits to explain what the different parts of the mission were used for and how life was lived day to day. Sadly, no photos of those. I blame it on the Benedryl.
This is no excuse! What kind of a TR is this???
In addition to the “museum-y”parts, the mission still holds Mass every week.
Really! I would've guessed it was long abandoned.
Sources say that the rose window on the south side is the finest remaining example of this craft in the US.
I wouldn't have given it a second glance. Who knew it was so famous!?
This is the best photo I got of it.
I like that one. Get a sense of scale. I thought it was much smaller.
Looks like an oven?
I like the framing of this one. :)
Z and I went out a bit further and stumbled on the historic (still operational) mill.
Still operational??? How cool is that?
Apparently when there isn’t a pandemic, the Parks actually fire this baby up using the ORIGINAL works including the water wheel for demonstrations. Wouldn’t that be a sight?!
::yes::
As Z and I were figuring out how it all worked together a middle-aged guy was giving his family a tour and said that years ago he worked it as a docent giving the tours while he was getting his MA in History and was explaining the process, so it was like we got a free guided tour.
Wow! Talk about your perfect timing. :)
Unfortunately, we were met with bugs that bugged me and people that bugged me more. (You didn't really think we were done with bugs, right?)

Seriously, what is wrong with people these days? Does no one have any regard for anyone else anymore, or is everyone totally clueless about the use the public space?
Uh, oh...

You weren't kidding when you said you got bit! :faint:
Unfortunately, a bunch of rude yahoos were in there with a gigantic speaker/amplifier/whatever blaring the most obscene, graphic rap and pop which made ANY chance of relaxing go up in smoke. A couple of the group were roaring drunk to boot and throwing F-bombs around like candy at a Christmas parade. #proudtobeaprude Did I mention there were kids in the pool?
:sad2:
Some people think the world belongs to them... and need a good swift kick.
"Hi! I'll be dropping in later, unexpectedly."
went to bed not sure if I’d wake up with spider bites on top of the mosquito bites
:scared:
It's down to crunch time with packing for another long road trip and getting my rig all prepared for Summer/Fall storage. It's no small task.
Good luck and have a good trip!
As a side note! I was able to have a short DISMeet with DaisyDuck001 yesterday in Casa Grande, about an hour north of Tucson for lunch. We had a very nice visit and it was great getting to know you in person! Perhaps our paths will cross again next year. :)
Nice! A little off-site Dismeet. :goodvibes
Happy Easter to each of you!
Happy Easter to you too!

I sure would have loved to have been able to whip out that National Park Pass I’d bought!
It took us years before we used our Golden Eagle pass. :)
The mission buildings are nicely maintained and give a great picture of what the living conditions would have been like during the Spanish Colonial times.
It was interesting that the mission was built to serve Native Americans tribes who did not want to associate with the tribes at a nearby mission. They also became the labor to build the mission.
Sources say that the rose window on the south side is the finest remaining example of this craft in the US. Sadly, I didn’t know about it or notice it, so don’t have a decent photo;
I can see why you didn't notice the window. Although it is interesting, there is really nothing that stands out to me. I guess I was looking for gorgeous stained glass or something.
After we toured the main buildings, Z and I went out a bit further and stumbled on the historic (still operational) mill.
We have a grist mill near us that depended on the adjacent creek for water. Once the amount of water in the creek changed, the mill became obsolete.
What I do know is that my bug bites were itching like crazy again and I thought that some water on them might relieve some of the itching.
That looks extremely uncomfortable. You must have been going crazy.

I'm still here!

I can't say enough about all your gorgeous photos from the Southwest and Texas. I think I would rather tour the outside of the Alamo than see the inside.

I remember you telling me the story of the blankets and I'm once again happy you got them back. They are all so beautiful!

I remember the bug bites too. How long did it take before they got better? I'm hoping you didn't get some more bites while in Louisiana.

Congrats again on your next career journey. I know you'll do well because you're so driven.

Good luck on your next road trip.

I think that Fran and I visited there when we went to San Antonio and drove to Houston
I really enjoyed it a lot. Well done historical site to be sure.
I bet. Texas weather can suck.
You ain't kiddin', Sister!! On the way here we had the other extreme of white out conditions and iced over roads.
Ugh I'm Sorry. You should only stay in hotels in Texas. I know this for sure now.
I'm such a cheapskate though! :lmao:

Hope you had a lovely Easter Sunday and that the packing up is going well.
It was fair enough. No family around and most of the folks here in the park have left for "home" or other (cooler) places. Too bad that most of the US north of oh, say... Denver is still under ice and snow. :lmao: Honestly, April is the loveliest month here and is befuddles me why folks would leave so soon!
Sorry you got bitten and bugged and encountered some foul-mouthed people who probably bugged you more than any insect! Some people are simply selfish sods ( that’s the politest way I can think to say it) and shouldn’t be allowed around kids. At least the laundry got done I suppose.
Yes, they are. Zero situational awareness and worse, even if they can see, they don't care. Evolution IMHO is a very flawed theory- people prove it every day. LOL!
Loved your trip to Mission San Jose. It looked fascinating. Amazing to think that the mill still works. Beautiful place.
I LOVE living history museums!

It was fair enough. No family around and most of the folks here in the park have left for "home" or other (cooler) places. Too bad that most of the US north of oh, say... Denver is still under ice and snow. :lmao: Honestly, April is the loveliest month here and is befuddles me why folks would leave so soon!

Yes, they are. Zero situational awareness and worse, even if they can see, they don't care. Evolution IMHO is a very flawed theory- people prove it every day. LOL!

I LOVE living history museums!
Maybe they left the area so they could skip the allergy season?

While in AZ, did you get over to the Pioneer Arizona Living History Museum north of Phoenix?

I'm surprised you could even function at all.
Me too, tbh.
That's not what that guy told me after his wife found him in the pantry with the cook.
I'm very lost here....
:laughing: Is this a first world problem?
Yep! But, I get a lotta more chances to use it on my road trip coming up.
This intrigues me. My first thought was "defensive fortifications... rifle holes"... but then I thought... wait... mission... church... Would they fortify a church? Perhaps it's a method of letting in sunlight without letting in too much heat? :confused3
I think al of the above, although I didn't ask. Yes, they very well may have had a fortified structure, but it can get nasty cold AND hot there so insulting from the elements also makes sense.
This is no excuse! What kind of a TR is this???
A very poor one lately. I'm sorry, but there are just more pressing things going on right now. :)
I wouldn't have given it a second glance. Who knew it was so famous!?
Right?!
I like that one. Get a sense of scale. I thought it was much smaller.
I wish I'd have even noticed it!
Looks like an oven?
Yes, it was. And by the looks of it, it could probably have still been used.
I like the framing of this one. :)
Thanks!
Still operational??? How cool is that?
Right?!
You weren't kidding when you said you got bit! :faint:
It was no exaggeration!
:sad2:
Some people think the world belongs to them... and need a good swift kick.
Yes, and that's all I have to say about that. A woodshed would probably have done them (and everyone else!) a favor.
"Hi! I'll be dropping in later, unexpectedly."
Exactly what I had waking nightmares of all night. I just don't do spiders. Snakes? All day long. Spiders? NOPE!
Good luck and have a good trip!
Thanks! I still have a few days left here as I visit a co-worker friend and then take off North to see what I can find. Obviously, I adore Northern Arizona!

Well I know that if you live in Ontario you can only be gone for 212 days to keep your health insurance. Other Canadian provinces are either 6, 7 or even 8 months.

It took us years before we used our Golden Eagle pass. :)
I need to look up the deets on that. If it's 55, I"m close!
It was interesting that the mission was built to serve Native Americans tribes who did not want to associate with the tribes at a nearby mission. They also became the labor to build the mission.
This is all true. Although I believe the clergy and Latino/Mexican locals also served as labor.
I can see why you didn't notice the window. Although it is interesting, there is really nothing that stands out to me. I guess I was looking for gorgeous stained glass or something.

I was to when I first saw the headline for it in my research for this TR. Just some cool sculpture stuff.
We have a grist mill near us that depended on the adjacent creek for water. Once the amount of water in the creek changed, the mill became obsolete.
Which makes total sense. I suppose they could have relocated it to the changing creek course, but if it 's just simply dried up, then that's the end of it.
That looks extremely uncomfortable. You must have been going crazy.
Benedryl put me out of my misery for the night. :)

I'm still here!
Me too. Barely.
I can't say enough about all your gorgeous photos from the Southwest and Texas. I think I would rather tour the outside of the Alamo than see the inside.
Aww, thanks, V! We saw enough to satiate and that was fun!
I remember you telling me the story of the blankets and I'm once again happy you got them back. They are all so beautiful!
You were the first person to hear about that whole fiasco. Soooo glad it all worked out!
I remember the bug bites too. How long did it take before they got better? I'm hoping you didn't get some more bites while in Louisiana.
It took weeks for them to heal up and, well, I hate to admit it, but I'm a horrible scratcher, so it took far longer than it should have. Nope, no more there, thank Goodness!
Congrats again on your next career journey. I know you'll do well because you're so driven.
I can be to be sure. Just hope I'm successful. Sounds like it's hella hard (as it should be!) with several high stakes exams.
Good luck on your next road trip.
Setting out in just a few days. :)

While in AZ, did you get over to the Pioneer Arizona Living History Museum north of Phoenix?
It is possible. But several that I talked to wanted a cooler place as they were afraid it'd get too hot here? Really hasn't been too bad yet and Tucson has yet to see a triple digit day. (Tuesday will be close.) They sure got their cooler temps! The palo verde are absolutely gorgeous right now here!

8001B37A-F36D-4AEE-837C-84C44C22D33D.jpeg

Ooops! Forgot to answer. No, I never went north of Gilbert as I didn't get to the Metro area until my shift and left on Thursdays at 9:00PM after my 3rd day. Working 12's is no joke and I just wanted to get home and not spend even more money on lodging.

Well I know that if you live in Ontario you can only be gone for 212 days to keep your health insurance. Other Canadian provinces are either 6, 7 or even 8 months.
That is so true and I do believe that that is most likely the reason for all the Canadians that were here. And there were a TON of them in this park. Maybe even 25%. I also know that a lot of Canadians really don't want temps over around 75-80 and the January temps of 55-70 are just right for them. For me, it was hard to sit outside for our multiple-times-a-week outdoor happy hours in January and be comfortable. Some of us have propane firepits which help and we bundle up, but for me.... March and April are most definitely the loveliest times of year. The flowers are in full bloom, the migrating birds are all here, the evenings are longer and WAY better to sit out in during the evenings, etc....

It is possible. But several that I talked to wanted a cooler place as they were afraid it'd get too hot here? Really hasn't been too bad yet and Tucson has yet to see a triple digit day. (Tuesday will be close.) They sure got their cooler temps! The palo verde are absolutely gorgeous right now here!

View attachment 664660
Unfortunately, the blooming palo verde trees are what make the allergy season so rough for many people. You're lucky that you apparently aren't allergic to them!

Ooops! Forgot to answer. No, I never went north of Gilbert as I didn't get to the Metro area until my shift and left on Thursdays at 9:00PM after my 3rd day. Working 12's is no joke and I just wanted to get home and not spend even more money on lodging.
All this is understood. Just mentioned the thought because you said you like living history museums. In case it fits into your future travels at some point, you can read about it here:
https://pioneeraz.org/

Actually, people must be age 62 or older to qualify for the senior pass to the national parks.

E is for: Eating Breakfast the RIGHT Way

Surprisingly, we both slept quite well. Benedryl will do that, ya know. I kind of wish I’d had a bit more time in San Antonio having not seen the Riverwalk, but new jobs and big moves don’t wait forever.

Despite having not done a terrible lot of research, I did follow through on a recommendation from my parents for a good place to have a hearty breakfast in an interesting setting. We packed up our things, which was everything since the company at the pool left little to be trusted in the car.

It was so very nice of the locals to come wish us well on our journey!

(Please excuse the janky nails and cuticles; we'd been camping road tripping for quite a while by now!)

Texas was still hot and muggy even early in the morning, and I was so glad to arrive at breakfast a hot, stinking mess. Lady's Secret roll-on is no match for a Southern Summer. They let me in anyways and even gave us an indoor table. Where was this place, you might be asking? The Guenther House constructed in 1915 for the Flour/Grain Baron of historic San Antonio. The Pioneer Flour Mill is still in operation supplying flour to various baking companies around the country. Here it is in all of its modern glory...

From which this original stone was used:

(It says: "Original millstone used for grinding wheat from 1859-1893. Millstone was imported from France. It arrived in Indianola, Texas by ship then moved by oxen wagon to San Antonio.)

Guenther’s takes no reservations so if you don’t want to wait in line forever, you can wait forever before it opens to be first in. Which we did. It opened at 8:00 and we were first by showing up at 7:30. I’d rather wait for half an hour and have any table I want over waiting for half an hour and getting stuck by the bussing station.

We chose a table in the sunny solarium style “Tea Room” and ogled at the leaded windows, Art Nouveau lines, and original fixtures from the time of construction. It really is quite a lovely venue.

Aside from this bright room, there are two other dining areas and a large patio for outdoor meals. The upstairs is a museum with a nice collection of original hand-carved furniture, dishes, paintings, more stained glass, and bric-a-brac from the turn of the century. You can schedule a tour of the home as well.

The menu is not overly extensive, but everyone should find something to scratch that breakfast itch- from sweet to savory. The portions aren't obscenely large either which I appreciated.

The meal was quite delicious! Truly it was gravy-done-right… and I’m a gravy snob. The consistency was neither too thick and gloppy, nor too thin and runny. It had loads of sausage flavor but wasn't too salty. The biscuits indeed lived up to all the hype and were as light and fluffy as Grandma’s feather bed. I chose apricot preserves which added a nice sweet to the savory.

I have no idea what Zach got. His phone died yesterday and he lost all of his photos from the trip. Such a bummer!

After breakfast we took a short drive around the King William District which boasts quite a few historic mansion-type homes- some occupied and in great shape, some not so much. If I was 30-something I think it might be fun to purchase one, restore it well and start a B&B. Sadly that ship has sailed; other things are on the horizon. Nevertheless, I love to see and admire old architecture of all styles including the Antebellum South.

I don't know if any of the houses I took photos of were this guy's, but he did sound like an interesting guy!

Had we had the time on this trip, getting out and walking the few square blocks of this District would have been really nice. But… Onward and Eastward; goodbye San Antonio. Until next time!

Last edited:
I did follow through on a recommendation from my parents for a good place to have a hearty breakfast in an interesting setting.
This looks like a wonderful place to eat and a nice way to start the day. :) It is interesting that there is still a mill there, even if it is now modern.
The upstairs is a museum with a nice collection of original hand-carved furniture, dishes, paintings, more stained glass, and bric-a-brac from the turn of the century.
It looks fascinating. I think it might be better to spend some time in a place like this rather than take a quick walk along the river.
I have no idea what Zach got. His phone died yesterday and he lost all of his photos from the trip. Such a bummer!
That's really a disaster. Even though my phone backs up every night, this prompted me to upload the pictures on my phone to my laptop.

This looks like a wonderful place to eat and a nice way to start the day. :) It is interesting that there is still a mill there, even if it is now modern.

It looks fascinating. I think it might be better to spend some time in a place like this rather than take a quick walk along the river.

That's really a disaster. Even though my phone backs up every night, this prompted me to upload the pictures on my phone to my laptop.
I do too. AND the cloud! After my phone took a swim down in the Keys a few years ago, never again!

Yep! But, I get a lotta more chances to use it on my road trip coming up.
:laughing:
A very poor one lately. I'm sorry, but there are just more pressing things going on right now. :)
Life happens. :)
Yes, it was. And by the looks of it, it could probably have still been used.
Score one for me!
Yes, and that's all I have to say about that. A woodshed would probably have done them (and everyone else!) a favor.
:rolleyes1
Exactly what I had waking nightmares of all night. I just don't do spiders. Snakes? All day long. Spiders? NOPE!
Interesting. I don't mind spiders, but I don't want one landing on me either. Especially if I don't know if it's venomous or not!
Thanks! I still have a few days left here as I visit a co-worker friend and then take off North to see what I can find. Obviously, I adore Northern Arizona!
Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter