The ABCs of An EPIC Girls' Trip! May, 2019-Q is for: Quietly Sending this Trip Report off Into an Internet Sunset (8/25)

What a great experience to be able to go on a VIP tour. I would really like to do any of the tours in WDW. I have never done one.

I remember seeing the price sticker, but had no idea the significance of it. I love that stuff!

You have my word. When I get to WDW again, my ChunkyDump pic is coming your way!

I absolutely remember this.
It even had some artsy name like "voice of fire" or something.
What a joke!
Question?

How can I get on your government's art supply list? I'm sure I can do something like that with at least 4 or 5 colors...should be worth at least 2 mil. I'm not greedy, 2 mil is good enough...heck, I'd even take 2 mil in CAD.

D is for: Dining on Devine Swine

With the ultimate goal of trying as many places on Disney property in mind, while still making time for my tried and true favorites, I recently went to a place that was new to me. In fact, if I hadn’t read a few (very few!) reviews of it here, I’d likely not even noticed it. Situated above Chefs de France, its entrance is tucked away sort of by the Casserole shop and the Ice Cream place. Easy to miss if you’re not looking for it. But inside is a true hidden gem if you want to get all fancy pants and have a phenomenal meal… slowly, leisurely, in some blessed AC. Want to lose yourself from the “amusement park” vibe, the noise, rush, and sea of matching t-shirts?

🇲🇫🗼Monsieur Paul is your place. Promise! 🗼🇲🇫
I had a reservation for 6:30, but as my day went on, I was feeling like I’d rather have an earlier-in-my-room night that I had planned. The heat of the week, the long days of pushing a wheelchair around the parks, and the excitement of meeting so many new friends left me wanting to slow down a lot and be pampered with some signature dining and some room time. I still had some time of touring when I entered the park and tried to change my ADR for an hour earlier on the app to no avail. But! I was near there so had an idea… what if I popped in and talked to a real human? The door to Mr. Paul was open, but the only waitstaff around was across the foyer in Chefs. I sidled on up the desk and explained my situation asking if I could speak to someone from Mr. Paul. “Oh, I can help you. What are you needing to do Madame?” I instantly felt $1,000 richer and 50% more French than I am. In 2 minutes, my ADR was changed to 5:30 and I was a happy Touron once more. Not that I wasn’t happy. It’s pretty hard to not be happy in Disney. Unless you’re with a sassy 14-year old whose sole purpose in life is to test your patience.

With a pert “Merci, bon jour!”, I took off for some more touring…

Flash forward to 5:30, I showed up ready for some schwanky dining. Schwanky grub demands an equally schwanky table. So, when I checked in, I told my hostess I’d happily wait a little bit for a window perch. I’m not sure she heard me, or cared, but bade me follow her up the staircase with menu in hand. We entered the opulent, but not overdone, dining room and she showed me a table near a window but in the middle of the room. :rolleyes: I really didn’t want to be in a fishbowl, and my face must’ve shown it. I glanced around the spied a PERFECT table against a window that faced the IG; I’ve learned that in Disney most CMs are willing to do what they can to put a smile on your face; put up a ‘tude and demand and you can surely kiss your hopes of “magical moments” good-bye. It’s as it should be.

The sun was shining on my table and made the setting very lovely. Almost as lovely as the glass of champagne I ordered. Every fancypants meal should begin with bubbly. Just perfect- not too sweet, not too dry. Mmmm!

I studied the menu and decided to try a couple of things; why not? Meals like that don’t happen very often, at least in my world. Most nights it’s a bowl of cereal or leftovers. I even have an occasional free PB&J at work- @Captain_Oblivious, did I mention we have free unlimited PB&Js? I eat about one a month when my shift runs late and I didn't bring dinner.

Okay, back to a step up from the normal SteppeFare... I ordered the:

Oxtail Broth with Braised Beef, Vegetables, and Black Winter Truffles covered in Puff Pastry - $29.

It sounded light and not too filling and was absolutely delicious! When my incredible server, Johanna, brought it out, she carefully, in a wonderfully thick French accent, explained that the flaky pastry was meant to be pushed down into the broth and eaten as part of it. Huh! I’d not have thought to do that. It turned that into sort of a noodle? Kinda? But soaked up the broth which was flavorful and delicious! It was definitely not a heavy soup by any standard and, while I did not eat it all, it was a nice start to the meal.

And because your humble Authoress wants to bring only the highest quality drivel of unimportant facts to you, I found this which, well, TBH, was actually of interest to me.

"The legend of the famous truffle soup was born in 1975 February 25, when French president Valéry Giscard D’Estaing promoted Paul Bocuse to Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur (the highest decoration in France). For that occasion, the father of French gastronomy was asked to prepare a special meal and one of the dishes he decided to serve for the president and the guests was la soupe aux truffes." -https://www.luxeat.com/blog/legend-truffle-soup/ (The whole article was pretty informative.)

After my server set down my champagne, (which came before the soup, but I forgot to get a photo of it alone) she explained that some dishes they serve there take quite a while to prepare and that “Chef” prefers customers order their entrees as early in the experience as possible so care can be taken. I was okay with that as I’d been able to narrow down my choice fairly quickly. You know, like the complete opposite of choosing my shirt every day or which coffee to buy at the store. The menu is actually a bit limited, but has at least one of each kind of major meat and an excessive 3 recipes of fish dishes. 1 beef, 1 pork, 1 duck, and 3 fish to be exact. Unless you choose the prix fixe menu; then you might have something not on the regular entrée menu. I’m not complaining. I like fish, but I hadn’t had pork in forever. So that’s what I went with:

Berkshire Kurobuta Pok Loin Mediallionin a Salt Crust, Raspberry Jam, Potato Confit, Sauce Charcutiere- $39

I’m not sure if she rolled her eyes in delight that I’d ordered that and deemed me a guest with impeccable taste, or a “Great, my 3rd pain the keister customer tonight". You’ll see why in a bit…

Meanwhile, in between courses, Johanna checked on me and pointed to the large portrait behind me.

I surmised it must be Mr. Paul himself, but she went on to expound about the Founding Father of this elegant place: I could understand about 10% of what she said, but gathered enough to know he was a really important guy in French Cuisine. Here’s what I found on the interwebs:

Since 1987, the Bocuse d'Or has been regarded as the most prestigious award for chefs in the world (at least when French food is considered), and is sometimes seen as the unofficial world championship for chefs. Bocuse received numerous awards throughout his career, including the medal of Commandeur de la Légion d'honneur.[4]

Thank you, Wiki!

From another website, which still didn’t produce the information on the medal he was always wearing, this little nugget entertained me. I found the quote… brutally honest.

“In a book published in 2006 shortly after yet another heart operation, Bocuse was quoted as summing up: 'I have three stars. I have had three bypasses. And I still have three women.” - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ar-uniforms-funeral-master-Monsieur-Paul.html

His private life was... unorthodox.

After finishing my soup and continuing to sip my champagne, the sun sank lower and I took my time people watching down below wondering what the poor people were doing for dinner. (If you need a thorough discussion on that particular idiom, refer to @MeghanEmily 's thread where a few chimed in on its nuances.) People watching quickly gave way to turning my attention to the incredibly beautiful sunset unfolding before me. Moments like that come far less often than I’d like- amazing food, an elegant setting, a perfect view across and to the sides of me, just perfection.

After about 30 minutes, my main course arrived. It was then that I perfectly understood what Johanna was meaning when she told me that the chef takes great care to his dishes and "take some time".

Please, Dear Reader, watch this video and be amazed; I was entranced!

I admit, at first I was completely baffled as to why she'd bring out a sizeable loaf of bread. :confused3 You'll see....

I had never, ever seen something carved tableside like that!

Carefully, she put the meat on my plate:

Then poured a rich gravy over each piece. Here is the final presentation of my meal.

Totally in love with my choice, I savored every single bite. It was absolutely delicious- very tender, packed with flavor, and perfectly paired with the raspberry coulis and roasted veggies. The bread was dispatched somewhere else. I know not where, but perhaps it was for the soup line around the back for the poorer folks who’d eaten at Monsieur Paul the day before. In all seriousness, it was a LARGE piece of bread and I do wonder what they did with it.

Way too stuffed for dessert, I gathered up my purse and after paying, started to head out. On the way, near the bathroom (you didn’t think I’d make it through a meal without visiting that, did you?) I passed the wine cellar. Impressive, no? That’s a lot of cataloguing, Friends.

Walking out of the Pavilion, I spied my Spirit Animal of the moment and took a selfie- a perfect portrait of two Little Miss Porkies. I hope she doesn’t wonder too long where her cousin Susie Swine went….

Would I go back? OH YES! It's one of my favorites now and exceeds Le Cellier in quality, service, presentation, ambiance, etc... The prices are very similar, maybe a bit more, but is just a better choice in my opinion. So, along with Tiffins, Terralina (the outlier), Cali Grill, and of course Victoria and Albert's, this is on my list of favorites. One could easily dine here for under $100, even for 2, if you passed on drinks.

Hope you're all having a fantastic weekend, and enjoy a nice Father's Day tomorrow. To all you dads out there- you're doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

11/22/1995 happens to be the release date of Toy Story 1. Sure, they could have put any numbers up there, but doesn't that make it that much cooler?!
Love that level of detail!
The imminent spontaneous combustion was cut short just in time for our amazing tour guides to get us through the FP line and onto our wiener dog trains. Kari and I have NO idea what happened to our ride photo, but we did giggle and scream like 2 little girls all the way around Andy’s backyard past the Jacks, down the “stairs”, and right on past Wheezy’s Serenade. @Malia78 Kari? It was great riding with you, cuz… yeah, you’ve got a friend in me! :hug:
So fun!!
At this point, the group had to choose another attraction, but in the end decided to ride the wiener dogs again. Same song, 2nd verse. Same girly shrieking. Same loss of ride photos.
SDD is the best!
And there you have it. I’ll forever be known as ChunkyDump. There will be times Queen Steppe will have to move over to make room. Daily, in fact, if all’s right in the world :rolleyes: ; and certainly for every EPIC Girl’s Trip Photo ever. But hey, what’s good catches on like wildfire (no, really it was super hot that day) and soon enough it was all the rage and even when I wasn’t there to lead the hit parade, they were all doing the ChunkyDump. The photo at MK proves it:
Hilarious!!
But inside is a true hidden gem if you want to get all fancy pants and have a phenomenal meal… slowly, leisurely, in some blessed AC. Want to lose yourself from the “amusement park” vibe, the noise, rush, and sea of matching t-shirts?
What a treat! After reading your review, I think I need to try this on my next solo trip!
I really didn’t want to be in a fishbowl, and my face must’ve shown it. I glanced around the spied a PERFECT table against a window that faced the IG; I’ve learned that in Disney most CMs are willing to do what they can to put a smile on your face; put up a ‘tude and demand and you can surely kiss your hopes of “magical moments” good-bye. It’s as it should be.
Exactly, when you are kind and appreciative to the CMs they will do everything they can to help you.
"The legend of the famous truffle soup was born in 1975 February 25, when French president Valéry Giscard D’Estaing promoted Paul Bocuse to Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur (the highest decoration in France). For that occasion, the father of French gastronomy was asked to prepare a special meal and one of the dishes he decided to serve for the president and the guests was la soupe aux truffes." -https://www.luxeat.com/blog/legend-truffle-soup/ (The whole article was pretty informative.)
So interesting!
Berkshire Kurobuta Pok Loin Mediallionin a Salt Crust, Raspberry Jam, Potato Confit, Sauce Charcutiere- $39
Sounds delicious!
People watching quickly gave way to turning my attention to the incredibly beautiful sunset unfolding before me. Moments like that come far less often than I’d like- amazing food, an elegant setting, a perfect view across and to the sides of me, just perfection.
The view is outstanding....what a gorgeous night!
Please, Dear Reader, watch this video and be amazed; I was entranced!
Incerdible!
Way too stuffed for dessert, I gathered up my purse and after paying, started to head out. On the way, near the bathroom (you didn’t think I’d make it through a meal without visiting that, did you?) I passed the wine cellar. Impressive, no? That’s a lot of cataloguing, Friends.
That is a lot of wine! I can only imagine the vintages they have there.
Would I go back? OH YES! It's one of my favorites now and exceeds Le Cellier in quality, service, presentation, ambiance, etc... The prices are very similar, maybe a bit more, but is just a better choice in my opinion. So, along with Tiffins, Terralina (the outlier), Cali Grill, and of course Victoria and Albert's, this is on my list of favorites. One could easily dine here for under $100, even for 2, if you passed on drinks.
Definitely on my must try list now. Thanks for the great review!

Omg, I sure hope I can be part of the ChunkyDump club one day. Although I imagine the group song to be more related to Gagnam Style in my head, but I'll practice whatever choreography it takes!

Doesn't this sound like so much fun?! It'd be like we're a Brazillion tour group of silly women busting out our moves! This has GOT to be done!

Also, from everyone's comments I went ahead and ordered stainless steel straws - I will at least feel virtuous until I lose them or get germy from them :)

I need to too. THat and the Bev Ledge.

Love this group pic

I think between the lot of us, we took some really fantastic shots. :) Lots of fun goin' on!

YAY Kelly what a cool run in

It was such a story-telling worthy run in! We laughed so hard!

another great pic by Liesa

I loved the Chunky dump from the first FB post of it.

Thanks, Glenda!

It's gonna catch on.... I just know it!! I wanna see The ChunkyDump going on all over Da World!
Great idea Su-Lynn

It's perfect! Some of us (me) who are on the downhill side of the decades are going to look like this, but that's okay.

I could do that. Therefore, it fails the test. Ergo, it is not art.

Actually, I think Drew could do that.

I 100% agree. Although I suppose there is someone who could appreciate it.

with the taste of a 2 year old.

If she doesn't have a sense of humor, that's her problem.

I don't know how people survive without a sense of humor. I really don't. Then again humor is like art. Some have a good sense and can laugh a little and some just, don't.

Refried beans. Maybe the only food that is exactly the same before and after digestion.

:lmao:

is? No wonder I get in trouble so much.

Yeah... I feel ya.
I get that a lot. Sometimes it's angry.

For me it's just moronic.
Ooh...you didn't say keep our hands and arms inside...chaos will reign supreme now. At least until someone loses an arm.

Off with their heads!!!
::yes:: I think there's an active volcano just below the sidewalk.

Oh, good hypothesis.

Not sure why this ride is so horrible with that. Someone obviously missed a step in assembly.

I have no idea, but it sure was a bummer. However, in the end someone from our ride car DID get it, ergo I did too.

Knew this too. Actually, it wasn't until we met that I found this out. I was just glad to finally meet you and height doesn't matter.

Aw, thanks!

You could have been phenominal...sneaking between people's legs and stealing the ball. :laughing:

For sure, just like the Globetrotters!

I am tall (well taller) and relagated to back row or have to kneel. Kneeling on concrete (especially near an active volcano) isn't fun either

OUCH!

I'd say Caroline's looks much less dump-ish.
:rotfl2:

Hers is very lady-like. Mine, not so much. LOL!

Sung to tune of Time Warp...
Let's do the chunky dump again.

That's what I imagined too, but I think it'd have been lost on the younger set around here. ;)

What an absolutely amazing meal! We need to get over there. Yours is one of the first reviews I've seen. I think @chunkymonkey was the other one...It's great to know this was such an exceptional meal from start to finish...

What, you didn't love the lovebugs?
To quote Jar Jar...how wude

Definitely a concern swallowing one though.

Reminds me of a joke...
You know how you can tell a happy motorcycle rider?
All the bugs in their teeth.
LOL! I've heard that one before and it still makes me giggle!

And no! I didn't. They are a nuisance.

When we were on the monorail platform, I didn't even realize it was your mom at first! I just saw you and Caroline and knew that whoever it was, was in great hands with you two nurses! We were all so glad to hear your mom was ok that night and didn't need to go to a hospital :grouphug:
It was scary for sure! Luckily she recovered very quickly and we wheeled her off and we all watched HEA from the Boat Dock in front on Gasparilla not too long after.

I may have put it in the wrong spot?
Too lazy to go back and look.
Hmmm... Houston, we have a problem...

I just can't for the life of me understand why they took most of them out!

Sunglasses.
I can always get a new neck.

WHere?! I need one!

I haven't been able to do that (in a normal sized tub) since I was a pre-teen!

Another nice perk of being teeny.

Gonna jump in here.
About 30 years ago, our government decided to buy a painting for the National Art Gallery. They paid $1.8 million for... this:
Image result for canada spend millions on art ottawa stripes

What the WHAT?! What lunatic thought that was a good idea?! Was it his brother? Someone who knew there were naked photos of him out there?

People lost their minds. "Our tax dollars are going to... that???????"

Yeah, I'd have been not just a little perterbed as well!.

Great pic of you two! :love:
Thanks!

This is a very accurate description of the weather while we were there.

I honestly did NOT predict it'd have been that hot in May. Just luck of the draw...

This shot is fantastic!
I love this one too!
Another amazing one! I loved Flower & Garden so much, I think it's my new favourite time to visit!

Thanks, Fallon! It was just so beautiful and the park was just so photogenic. Easy to get some really nice keepers.

Gah! Another perfect shot! I feel like you need to use some of these as your gift for the next Epic trip :thumbsup2

That's a great idea! Or a couple of my faves from each park?

That was one of my favourite flower displays as well! :love:

So "wild" and the colors worked so well together.

I laughed the entire way through this post, just reliving that moment :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

It was absolutely hilarious! So, so funny!

What a great experience to be able to go on a VIP tour. I would really like to do any of the tours in WDW. I have never done one.

I've done 2- the Behind the Seeds (2x) and the Wanyama at AKL. Both fantastic! Still on my list is the Steam Trains, the Savor the Savanah and the Dine in the Sky. I'd love the rhino or elephants one too. :)

I remember seeing the price sticker, but had no idea the significance of it. I love that stuff!

Me too! There are so many of those little hidden gems to hunt for!

You have my word. When I get to WDW again, my ChunkyDump pic is coming your way!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHOOOOOTY!! It's a thing!

I absolutely remember this.
It even had some artsy name like "voice of fire" or something.
What a joke!

Oh brother. :sad2:

Love that level of detail!

Me too! Helps the parks stay fun and fresh as we hunt for new things!
What a treat! After reading your review, I think I need to try this on my next solo trip!

Yes!

Exactly, when you are kind and appreciative to the CMs they will do everything they can to help you.

It's certainly been my experiece over and over. Kinda a Golden Rule sort of thing. :)

The view is outstanding....what a gorgeous night!
It truly was. The colors were simply amazing!

That is a lot of wine! I can only imagine the vintages they have there.

It is much smaller than the Cali Grill, but still VERY impressive.

Definitely on my must try list now. Thanks for the great review!

I really hope you do and love it as much as I did. I think for a solo diner it's perfect.

What an absolutely amazing meal! We need to get over there. Yours is one of the first reviews I've seen. I think @chunkymonkey was the other one...It's great to know this was such an exceptional meal from start to finish...
I think you would really love it. The service was so top notch, which IMHO can really make or break a meal. I think a lot of folks dismiss it thinking it's too expensive, but for main courses it's right in the ballpark with other signatures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts