ABCs of A Trip Worth Waiting For + PNWMM: P: A Practically Perfect Pacific NW Mouse Meet- pg. 26

So how did you know when it was time to come home

Truthfully I don't remember. Normally we didn't play far from our house. We lived on a cul de sac, and mostly played within our neighbors when we were young. There were four girls and several boys all in similar age. It wasn't until we were older that we all realized we had nothing in common. I guess we all went home when it was too dark to stay outside. :confused3

During the summer it meant about 8. Once it was dark we would catch fireflies. Poor pkondz, I'm so sorry the darkness came so soon.

I guess we all went home when it was too dark to stay outside. :confused3

Possibly a good thing we didn't live in Churchill when I was a kid. (Or farther north) In the summer, it just doesn't get dark. We'd never go home!

It wasn't until we were older that we all realized we had nothing in common.

That's a sad comment.... but then again, I've lost touch with all my childhood friends, so...

Oh dear, I am finally getting caught up on your latest TR. Of course I'm enjoying it and there's plenty I could comment on, but they aren't going to pay me to sit here and read the boards all day so I'll have to get back to work eventually. But there's a few things I had to quote.

I gave up. It was evident this trip was NOT going to start out with me rested at all; it was starting to feel like one of my marathon travel gigs from a former life- cross Atlantic, then cross Asia 36-hour deals. I was tired.
I, perhaps better than most of your readers, know exactly what that feels like! My usual travel time over to work is about 34 hours door to door, of which very few are spent sleeping because I just can't sleep much on planes (I have even on occasion had business class with the fold down beds, still no sleep, I just can't do it). Even worse is when I arrive overseas to work, try to sleep that night but my body clock is so messed up I still can't sleep, so then have to pull a 12 hour shift. I stop counting when I haven't slept in over 50 hours, but it's rough. That's one thing I definitely will not miss about commuting.

I grew up riding my bike all over town without the fear of foulplay, we rollerskated on Friday nights, and watched the boys play league ball on Saturdays. We had TPing-Each-Other’s-Houses Wars every weekend, and swam in our friends’ pools until midnight all summer long. I could not have asked or wished for a better place to grow up.

Sadly, Hemet has turned into a cesspool of filth, gangs, urban sprawl, and crime. And yet….
That sounds like a wonderful place to grow up. I grew up in a fairly small place myself (by most standards) and remember always going off on our own on bicycles, messing around in the woods (boys will be boys, you know), sleeping out in the backyard in a tent by ourselves in the summer. It's sad that I won't let my daughter do any of that now. It's only in the last year or so that we let her walk to a friends house or to the park by herself, and always in the day time. I still live in the same city I grew up in and it's not overrun with crime or anything, but it's just not the same as it was 30 or 40 years ago. There's no chance to be "free" as kids anymore and just wander the streets with friends in the summer. Makes me sad, but it's mostly my own doing I guess.

I found these to share with you, thinking that those of you who “wanna know” can dig a little deeper into the ultimate depths Disney goes to provide you with a believable, authentic story. I am thrilled that this particular one has a personal connection to me.
I love reading about stuff like this. I have the links opened and when I have time I'll definitely take a look. I don't know if you've ever gotten into podcasts, but the DIS Unplugged does the Connecting with Walt series and it has so much history of how WDW came to be and the inspiration for much of it.

Nah. I'll pass on that one. Depressing.

Eep! That bad, huh?

Yes I used that word intentionally.
It really does sound magical.

I asked that because, believe it or not, just "up the hill" from Hemet on Mt. San Jacinto is a little town called "Idyllwild". I had many friends that live "up there" and they were bused down to Hemet for school every day (about 35 minutes). Thought your comment was amusingly coincidental.

No. It's changed quite a bit.
And... that's just not something I'd do.

Yeah, it might take a bit of forwardness that might come across as intrusive. Still might be fun.

My favourite feature of my car. Heated seats. Love 'em.

I wish. I go out a few minutes early and start my car each morning so I can at least have some heat when I get in it.

You've been in some nice sets of wheels!

Yep!

I won't. I usually have wayyyyy too much jam-packed in to the schedule.

For me it'd be worth it to get a whole nuther trip out of it. Especially if they can get you out same day.

Santa ain't got that kind of coin.

Santa needs a raise.

Good Lord! Who eats bacon and doughnuts together???

f1c3be9eb8db0f512a0ff90bc15d43e3-708x400.jpg

Anyone who goes to Voodoo Donuts.

Oh, no. I exaggerated.
She's much worse.

Oh dear. How does her boiled water taste?

Uh, huh.... That was the busiest day of my career.

Sounds like a story I need to hear.

Before I comment on your last update I have to tell you, every time I read "A Trip Worth Waiting for ..." my brains sings "A Girl Worth Fighting for. ." cause we watched Mulan a few days ago.

Haven't seen that for YEARS. Need to; it's my girls' favorite Disney movie!

Me too! I miss the "Be home when the streetlights come on." I'm so sorry my kids didn't have this.

RIGHT?!

All the pictures you posted are just gorgeous! What a wonderful sight to see growing up.

Thanks!

I'm thinking you get your love of cars from your Dad. He certainly has owned some nice ones.

I think you're probably right. My grandfather was a collector too, and at one point owned the Original BatMobile. The DeLorean was especially fun!!

The TSA really seems to like you.

I can't imagine what it was in my bag that was so intriguing.

I love big family dinners where old memories are shared and laughed over.

:goodvibes:goodvibes

Again beautiful landscapes.

Thanks, Vanessa!

I'm glad to hear it. Your day way perfect. A little trip down memory lane and good food and great family time.

It was really nice! I'm glad they all got together and took time out of their busy schedules to see me. :)

You had to be home by 4pm?

Huh.

:rolleyes2

Did very many kids even play outside during the Winnipeg winter? I'm kinda thinking, no? :confused: :confused3

Truthfully I don't remember. Normally we didn't play far from our house. We lived on a cul de sac, and mostly played within our neighbors when we were young. There were four girls and several boys all in similar age. It wasn't until we were older that we all realized we had nothing in common. I guess we all went home when it was too dark to stay outside. :confused3

I miss those days. My kids never had that. Maybe you went home when you got hungry?

Possibly a good thing we didn't live in Churchill when I was a kid. (Or farther north) In the summer, it just doesn't get dark. We'd never go home!

When I was a kid, playing outside for long periods of time was the best. It would be even better if it could last longer.

We didn't have street lights jin the neighborhood where I grew up.

Mine doesn't now either, so the kids just know that when it's dark, they come home. Otherwise, we're calling the Sheriff or SAR. (Yes, we had to do that once 2 summers ago. And yes, they were lost and couldn't find where the beached the boat to get home. :lmao::lmao:)

During the summer it meant about 8. Once it was dark we would catch fireflies. Poor pkondz, I'm so sorry the darkness came so soon.

After dark, if we got permission, we'd play kick the can, or in the summer, we'd swim til really late.

I think around high school all the friendships we'd had since pre-school started to drift. Some of us were in band, some in AP classes, some did sports, a couple got pregnant and dropped out, etc.... by then our separate paths were set and all.

Yeah you would. Every kid gets hungry at some point.

That's a sad comment.... but then again, I've lost touch with all my childhood friends, so...

I'm still in contact with some of them, but like Alison, not a lot in common now with most.

Last edited:
Oh dear, I am finally getting caught up on your latest TR. Of course I'm enjoying it and there's plenty I could comment on, but they aren't going to pay me to sit here and read the boards all day so I'll have to get back to work eventually. But there's a few things I had to quote.

Gosh darned work. Always getting in the way of a good time. LOL!

I, perhaps better than most of your readers, know exactly what that feels like! My usual travel time over to work is about 34 hours door to door, of which very few are spent sleeping because I just can't sleep much on planes (I have even on occasion had business class with the fold down beds, still no sleep, I just can't do it). Even worse is when I arrive overseas to work, try to sleep that night but my body clock is so messed up I still can't sleep, so then have to pull a 12 hour shift. I stop counting when I haven't slept in over 50 hours, but it's rough. That's one thing I definitely will not miss about commuting.

Yeah, it's exactly this. No sleep at all; hard to when you can't get horizontal. There were a few, VERY few, occasions that we'd have some extra room on a Frankfurt leg, and could take up the whole row laying down. I remember one time I even got on the floor and slept. After 48 hours of being up, you just don't care anymore. I remember one time, my kids were utterly exhausted and they were sleeping on the floor in the Frankfurt Airport, and one of the cart driver people came over and scolded us for them being in the way, it wasn't safe, blah, blah, blah. THey weren't, and even if they were, I could have cared less. Go around them.

Ever unpacked at 3:00AM cuz, yoou can't sleep ? Oh yeah, totally done that. Ambien to the rescue!!!!

That sounds like a wonderful place to grow up. I grew up in a fairly small place myself (by most standards) and remember always going off on our own on bicycles, messing around in the woods (boys will be boys, you know), sleeping out in the backyard in a tent by ourselves in the summer. It's sad that I won't let my daughter do any of that now. It's only in the last year or so that we let her walk to a friends house or to the park by herself, and always in the day time. I still live in the same city I grew up in and it's not overrun with crime or anything, but it's just not the same as it was 30 or 40 years ago. There's no chance to be "free" as kids anymore and just wander the streets with friends in the summer. Makes me sad, but it's mostly my own doing I guess.

OH YES!! I forgot the campouts in our yards. So much fun!! Tents, snacks to last all night, flashlights and scary stories. But yeah, I get it. Just not the same anymore. Scary as parents, and sad for the kids who don't have the freedom to explore and find their own entertainment.

I love reading about stuff like this. I have the links opened and when I have time I'll definitely take a look. I don't know if you've ever gotten into podcasts, but the DIS Unplugged does the Connecting with Walt series and it has so much history of how WDW came to be and the inspiration for much of it.

Hmmm! I'll take a look! Sound awesome!

I miss those days. My kids never had that. Maybe you went home when you got hungry?

I imagine this is true!

When I was a kid, playing outside for long periods of time was the best. It would be even better if it could last longer.

YEP!!! The longer the better!

Eep! That bad, huh?

Worse.

I asked that because, believe it or not, just "up the hill" from Hemet on Mt. San Jacinto is a little town called "Idyllwild". I had many friends that live "up there" and they were bused down to Hemet for school every day (about 35 minutes). Thought your comment was amusingly coincidental.

:laughing: Didn't know about that!

Yeah, it might take a bit of forwardness that might come across as intrusive. Still might be fun.

Or depressing!

I wish. I go out a few minutes early and start my car each morning so I can at least have some heat when I get in it.

Love my heated seats. Great when my back hurts.

For me it'd be worth it to get a whole nuther trip out of it. Especially if they can get you out same day.

Welll..... yeah. When you put it that way.

f1c3be9eb8db0f512a0ff90bc15d43e3-708x400.jpg

:worship:

Oh dear. How does her boiled water taste?

I wouldn't know. I won't drink it after it's boiled up and over the pan and onto the floor.

Sounds like a story I need to hear.

Another one that'd just take too darn long. Too many moving parts.

I think around high school all the friendships we'd had since pre-school started to drift. Some of us were in band, some in AP classes, some did sports, a couple got pregnant and dropped out, etc.... by then our separate paths were set and all.

I think Liesa summed it up pretty well. I was the band geek/swimmer who took AP classes. My next door neighbor was a cheerleader, the "the other Allison" as we called her got pregers, so you summed it up exactly!

I'm still in contact with some of them, but like Alison, not a lot in common now with most.

I'm FB friends with everyone but "the other Allison", but I am friends with her younger sister.

Or the Nickel Diner in DTLA

Nickel-Diner-Maple-Bacon-Donut.jpg

I know we spent a lot of time going from house to house and enquiring what was on offer for dinner at the various houses. Then we would pick the "best" and say, "Can I have so and so over for dinner?" :lmao:

I'm lucky, the very small town I live in my kids (now in their 20s) ran loose. Granted not quite as loose as I did when I was a kid, but much more so than bigger communities.

I know we spent a lot of time going from house to house and enquiring what was on offer for dinner at the various houses. Then we would pick the "best" and say, "Can I have so and so over for dinner?" :lmao:
My son still does that. He'll ask what I'm making, he makes a few texts then pretty soon I hear him leaving. He's 23:rolleyes1

Love my heated seats. Great when my back hurts.

I need a new car.

Welll..... yeah. When you put it that way.

I can be very convincing, can't I?

I wouldn't know. I won't drink it after it's boiled up and over the pan and onto the floor.

But the real test is if the dogs will eat it off the floor.

I think Liesa summed it up pretty well. I was the band geek/swimmer who took AP classes. My next door neighbor was a cheerleader, the "the other Allison" as we called her got pregers, so you summed it up exactly!

I was the band geek until my AP classes started taking too much time. Just didn't cross paths with the other circles much.

Or the Nickel Diner in DTLA

Nickel-Diner-Maple-Bacon-Donut.jpg

Just wow!

:lmao:

Brilliant!

I'm lucky, the very small town I live in my kids (now in their 20s) ran loose. Granted not quite as loose as I did when I was a kid, but much more so than bigger communities.

Small towns still have quite a charm. My kids were so lucky growing up overseas.

My son still does that. He'll ask what I'm making, he makes a few texts then pretty soon I hear him leaving. He's 23:rolleyes1

Hilarious!

Mine too! When something falls I just say "Max, clean up." and he comes running.
:laughing:

I don't have to say anything... They're already there... waiting.... staring.... willing me to drop something... anything.

And in case you didn't see it over on my thread...

happy-birthday-animated-gif-images.gif

I don't have to say anything... They're already there... waiting.... staring.... willing me to drop something... anything.

If you're eating Pizza, Max is right in your face waiting for his share of the crust.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!