ABCs of a Nursing School Grad Trip + FL Keys Mini Report;D is for: Dang! Last Chapter of this TR...

I'm so far behind I don't know where to start! Have you talked about details of your next trip yet?

I'm going to go back 50 or so pages and see if I can get caught up :hug:

Hi Liesa
The Wanyama tour look so worth it your animal photos were so good liked the photo of the vulture and the stork not often you can get close to one of them.You imparted some new info to myself about animal Kingdom. Never knew that there was two separate entity's running the animals in animal Kingdom.The info about the different zebras was informative as well.How long did the tour last. I did see the hidden Mikey on the photo of the giraffes body you must have very good eye sight that you where able to deciphere it and take a close up photo of it. A meal planned with some dignitaries I bet the food and the wines will be worth going for as well.

Last edited:
Hi Liesa! Sorry to be so MIA. I have been reading in the mornjngs, but running out of time to comnent. Crazy busy with shutting down the clinic, and starting the new job. I'm still working part time for one of the docs to finish up her billing stuff. There is alot if "after" work that happens.

So cool about your special celebrity dinner at WL! So fun that your neighbor hooked you up. I love that resort, but always felt it was too much like home and wanted something different. Now that I live in the South, I would love that "home" feeling. We had one of our favorite dining experiences there at WCC believe it or not. It was just Jim and I and he let them know he didn't want to "play" and they seated us in the overflow area, which is a little outcropping into the lobby next to the creek. We had some pot roast or meat loaf something like that. Delicious comfort food. I also spent some time just sitting in a huge rocking chair out on the front deck with the most delicious glass of cab. I wish I had kept track of the brand.

I'm so excited you and your family got to experience the Safari! You got some great animal shots! That zebra face is amazing! Looking forward to more. Happy Monday! Hope things stay somewhat sane during the eclipse

no bus at all for 23 minutes. It’s happened before, you know. In fact, it happens most of the time if you’re traveling with me
That just happens most of the time, in general.

By some act of God, we got a bus quite quickly (only 10 minutes)
You suck.

Applesauce was so darn sweet I wanted to take her home to replace the current progeny gifted to me… which seem to have contracted mild cases of Teenage Mouth. I’m sure there’s a cure, but I have yet to find it.
There's a cure, but it takes about 10 years to work. :rolleyes1

They technically operate as completely separate entities with completely different breeding programs, management strategies, etc… If AK needs a temporary home for one of its animals, for example, they must actually apply for relocation privileges at AKL- either at Jambo or Kidani.
Actually makes a lot of sense and I assumed that was the case. Although I'm thinking about it from a farmer's mentality, but I always assumed it was the same for a zoo. Separate herds and maintenance programs means better control over the health and control of disease.

(Did you know that the Kidani and the Jambo herds of Zebra are different species? They keep them separate to keep the genes pure.)
No I didn't!

(Not an intentional Hidden Mickey, but a cool one nonetheless!)
How do you know it is unintentional? I believe you did mention that they have a breeding program... :rolleyes1

I know I have some readers who go nuts over animals; I have others who would rather see and hear about food.
One in the same... :rolleyes1

Putting a giraffe onto a chopper and having it explode
Who would want to blow up a giraffe?

Additionally, we found out we'll be attending a gala fundraising dinner with dignitaries, so I guess I'll have to practice using a fork and knife and to not use my sleeve for a napkin.
Try not to embarrass yourself!

Sir Marv and Lady Pat provided perfectly wonderful company for the remainder of our afternoon and we all enjoyed our time spent together
Perfectly wonderful company..... for perfectly wonderful company! We absolutely loved all of our time together, although it passed way too fast! :worried:

Too soon after a grand tea party on the Puke Cups it was time to say good bye to Sir Marv and Lady Pat.

IMG_3058.jpg
What a great looking couple..... love to meet them some day. :rolleyes1

Great photo of Marv and Pat! I really like the motion too. Of course I would not be caught dead on the Puke Cups.
Yeah, me either! Well at least until someone influenced me otherwise...... :blush:

Plenty of drunken, hoarding, plundering debauchery was enjoyed.
With Pat and Marv along?
Of this, I have no doubt.
paging @Poolrat and @GoofyFan1515 ... you are being disparaged.
Hey, I've been disparaged by better! Come to think of it I've been disparaged by lesser too...... :scratchin

:thumbsup2 I'm always happy to endorse irresponsible behavior when it comes to alcohol!
You? No way!

adding a couple of letters to the end of my name.

Steppesistericity?

My family suffered right along with me, and it was time to reward them also with a trip only dreams are made of.

Very generous of you!

but it sounded like my animal-loving 14-year old would like it as well, so I signed us up

So other than Anara, who else went along?

Ready to see how one lady, I won’t name names or anything, pigged out so badly she felt like Puumba walking out of Jiko?

You shouldn't talk about Anara like that. You'll hurt her feelings.

Is that what you use to prod the animals out of the way?

no bus at all for 23 minutes. It’s happened before, you know.

This is possible?

But, if I promise a bonus point to anyone who tells me how many animal photos are in this chapter in your comment will you come back?

PM sent.

If you suffer from TTBS (Teeny Tiny Bladder Syndrome), you’ll know exactly how relieved I was.

I know a few people with TTIBBS.

(See what I did there?)

Well, technically, I'm glad I didn't see it. Posting photos probably would get you banned.

I wish either of the two crappy photos I took of her would allow me to decipher her name- the best I can do is “Applesauce”.

"crappy" photos? So not just TTBS?

And... I zoomed... but... nope.

Her smile defined her and my dream to visit Africa was cemented forever.

Awwww... :)

(Guess who's going to Africa in November?)

You are!!! Yay!

Applesauce was so darn sweet I wanted to take her home to replace the current progeny gifted to me… which seem to have contracted mild cases of Teenage Mouth. I’m sure there’s a cure, but I have yet to find it.

:sad2:
No. Unfortunately there's no cure. Scientists are working around the clock.

but the best I can do is: some sort of sausage, nuts with African spices on them, scones, various breads with mustard and dips, some sweeter dessert-like thingys, and some other stuff. I sucked at taking notes. Clearly. What I do remember is that it was all very delicious and that I should have paced myself much more responsibly given what was to come later. Oops.

There's a time for taking notes... and a time to simply enjoy.

After about 30 minutes, a couple of super hot guys came out and introduced themselves as our guides. I was suddenly no longer interested in the animals.

Ah, ha! I see what you want.
Does this mean you're leaving the harem?

I acquiesced, reminding her that not only were they too old for her, but that they probably came home every night from work reeking of zebra dung.

:laughing: Lovely image.
And you're just saying that because of what Anara said:

Anara agreed and reminded me I was old enough to practically be their mother.

Meh. Age is just a number. Go sic 'em, girl!

Clearly, she didn't care...

I've never seen a bigger grin.

We were allowed to do anything but touch or feed the animals

What about the fork for prodding?

Can someone please explain to me how I can remember that it was quite fascinating, but could not tell you one specific thing he said to save my life?

And yet...

There are, in fact, 2 separate zoos at Disney (even though neither of them want to be publicized as such). They technically operate as completely separate entities with completely different breeding programs, management strategies, etc… If AK needs a temporary home for one of its animals, for example, they must actually apply for relocation privileges at AKL- either at Jambo or Kidani.

... that seems fairly specific.
And interesting too!

Eventually, we arrived at the entrance to the Savanah of AKL and began the real meat of our tour. (They just keep getting better and better, no?)

mmmm... meat.

Sorry.

Hungry.

You've got some great shots there... but these are my faves.

(Did you know that the Kidani and the Jambo herds of Zebra are different species? They keep them separate to keep the genes pure.)

Huh! I never knew there were different zebra species.

Yes, we were THAT close. Yes, we could reach out and touch them. No, I didn’t. But I sure did wanna! We were free to move from side to side as we wanted to take photos or see the animals better. Along the entire way the guides were telling us in great detail about the animals, their names, stories about their personalities, what the ate, their routines, everything. It was truly a tour worth the time and money. Plus, we got to be "backstage" and get views like this:

Sounds like a really wonderful time!

Derp face.

At one point, the guides demonstrated one of the ways they train the animals to come when they call for their feedings and to do animal care. It was fascinating to see the pig thing do what he asked.

Cool!

If only I could learn this technique for the ones I have at my house.

:lmao:

Putting a giraffe onto a chopper and having it explode is about as inconceivable as a Disney bus arriving within 23 minutes of my getting to a bus stop.

No. This is totally do-able. I'm sure of it. Mark will back me up.

Today was a pretty busy day. I had a long working meeting with Rebekah, my daughter who is going with me, in which we tried to nail down the clinics and work we'll be doing in Sierra Leone, Africa. In light of the recent horrific disaster (still thousands missing) we may likely be doing some primary treatment of cholera victims for the inevitable outbreak. Additionally, we found out we'll be attending a gala fundraising dinner with dignitaries, so I guess I'll have to practice using a fork and knife and to not use my sleeve for a napkin. ;) It's all coming together and I'm now just over the halfway point of raising the $2,000 needed to get myself there; much of that coming from DISFriends like you!! Now... to develop the curricula for seminars on hand hygiene, basic first aid, water purification using low-tech methods, and prenatal and infant care.

Comments hopefully tomorrow afternoon...

Peace and Jambo, Friends!
Sounds like you had a productive day!
Good luck with all the planning.

Just watching your total eclipse at Charlston South Carolina on the BBC News channel.Last bit ( Charlston was last to get the total effect ) of it has totally travelled across your country. Moments ago we seen your president watching it on the white house balcony. It was most impressive hopefully most of yourselves got to view it.

Just watching your total eclipse at Charlston South Carolina on the BBC News channel.Last bit ( Charlston was last to get the total effect ) of it has totally travelled across your country. Moments ago we seen your president watching it on the white house balcony. It was most impressive hopefully most of yourselves got to view it.
I was in the path of totality in upstate South Carolina. I think I got some really good pictures but will have to wait until I get home to verify. Totality without eclipse glasses is an unbelievable sight! Didn't look like my pictures did it justice.

I was in the path of totality in upstate South Carolina. I think I got some really good pictures but will have to wait until I get home to verify. Totality without eclipse glasses is an unbelievable sight! Didn't look like my pictures did it justice.

Hopefully your photos will be excilent. Something to remember for the rest of your life not many will be able to say I was there a once in a lifetime experience for most.

Steppe
"Putting a giraffe onto a chopper and having it explode"

afwdwfan
"Who would want to blow up a giraffe?"

But the giraffe would make a dramatic escape and come parachuting back safely to earth...
upload_2017-8-21_15-13-1.jpeg

From my FB post:

"Ho. Ly. Crap! That was AMAZING!! Almost moved to tears that was so beautiful!

The stars came out, aircraft had lights on, it got cold (no really it did), the solar flares around it were streaming out.... so amazing!!!"

But the giraffe would make a dramatic escape and come parachuting back safely to earth...
upload_2017-8-21_15-13-1-jpeg.263645

Awesome

From my FB post:

The stars came out, aircraft had lights on, it got cold (no really it did), the solar flares around it were streaming out.... so amazing!!!"

Also awesome! Sounds amazing! :)
We got to see... clouds! So cool! They were off white with rain falling from them. Isn't that amazing???

From my FB post:

It must have been amazing. Only 60% here. I was watching your area live online. We're you flying?

What an awesome tour! Its on my list of things to do eventually!

Jill in CO

Looked awesome, but looking forward to the next part. nom nom

Have you done the Wild Africa Trek tour at Animal Kingdom? Just wondering of the two, which would be preferred?

Last edited:
From my FB post:

Great you got to see it I thought you may have been sleeping after one of your night shift's.

I was informed quite emphatically that she, The Wine Lady, is the personal rep and saleschick to the Chef and Sommelier of Artist Point as a heavy distributor of Willamette Valley Vineyards located a few miles from my house. Not a small portion of those bottled grapes come from my own hood. Furthermore, she was pretty sure she could get a comped meal for us there with a phone call.

A phone call that never happened. But we’ll get to that….

D'oh! C'mon, Wine Lady, a little help here!

I guess for me, going to Disney is all about visiting “exotic” new decors, themes, and menus. I want to be immersed in "somewhere else". Wilderness Lodge, a Disneyfied copycat of Timberline Lodge, just wasn’t high on the list.

This is how I feel about the Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach Club area. Whereas Wilderness Lodge feels really exotic to me!

A free meal?

Sign me up.

I’ve said it many multiple times before on this and other TRs: Free is good; free with chocolate is better.

Well said.

Cool shot!

If you’ve not visited the PNW, please do so soon. You won’t be sorry.

I'm coming, I promise! 2019!

Really, it is a very lovely resort it is an awesome resort, even if very familiar to those of us from the PNW.

Fixed it for you.

(You did see the Hidden Mickeys in those last 2 pix, right?)

::yes::

Thank you for enabling my irresponsible behavior, Alison!

She's awfully good at that!

No photo... use our imagination to conjure up a..... steak.

YES! Gladly.

Sorry, zoned out there for a few minutes.

I could swim in that soup with my mouth open and be a very happy woman.

Now there's a picture. :rotfl:

If you like mushrooms

And I'm out.

We consistently fight over how our steak is prepared, and this time Mr. McWrecktheSteak won- medium. In Steppe’s nomenclature, that simply means burnt. Or destroyed. So, basically it was a well-seasoned hunk of leather.

:scared1: Wow, that's awfully harsh! If you want to bite a live cow, just say so. Personally, I like medium. But I'm not a vampire.

I’m sure she made a phone call to someone after I spoke with her the 2nd time and confirmed we weren’t just blowing smoke, which is a prudent managerial thing to do.

Man, security at this place is tight.

Here is a sneak preview of what went down... if you don't know who these folks are, please engage your fingers in a Google search immediately.

I had to Google. Sounds like a cool meet!

On top of that, I'm running into huge frustrations with getting the vaccinations we'll need for the work we'd wanted to do. Because of that we'll likely be going with Plan B and doing a Health Education Clinic teaching prenatal care, safe water handling/disinfection, hand hygiene and possibly a soap making workshop as a way to encourage that as well as providing a secondary benefit of providing a marketable skill to economically empower women.

Dang. Sorry it's not going as you'd hoped/planned.

I was standing on the bow trying to get some night photos of the other resorts and noticed a gigantic, full orange moon was just rising alongside the Contemp. It was spectacular and beautiful. And too far away for a shot worth getting with my regular stock lens. And it was dark. And I was on a moving boat. So this was one of those times when it was completely appropriate to just... enjoy. I was not the only guest who noticed and it would be fair to say that the moon captivated our attention as easily as fireworks over the castle.

Sounds wonderful!

Are you excited? Are you ready? Ready to see some up close and personal photos of the Savanah Birds and Beasties?

:hyper:

But, if I promise a bonus point to anyone who tells me how many animal photos are in this chapter in your comment will you come back?

So do you mean animals alone, or any photo with an animal in it?

YAY! I know some of you are all about cheap thrills!

Look, you can just tag me if you want to mention me. :rotfl2:

I wish either of the two crappy photos I took of her would allow me to decipher her name- the best I can do is “Applesauce”. If you have a better guess, by all means rename her. Her smile defined her and my dream to visit Africa was cemented forever.

I'm going to go with Sheena, Queen of the West.

(Guess who's going to Africa in November?)

Your daughter!:cool1:

I wanted to take her home to replace the current progeny gifted to me… which seem to have contracted mild cases of Teenage Mouth. I’m sure there’s a cure, but I have yet to find it.

I'm sorry. Would you like to borrow my taser?

We were allowed to do anything but touch or feed the animals, even though, we were told, we would be close enough at times to do exactly that.

Wow! Hey, mind if I shoot this gun back here?

It was also explained to us that most people think that the AK animals and AKL animals all make up just one big zoo. Nope! There are, in fact, 2 separate zoos at Disney (even though neither of them want to be publicized as such). They technically operate as completely separate entities with completely different breeding programs, management strategies, etc… If AK needs a temporary home for one of its animals, for example, they must actually apply for relocation privileges at AKL- either at Jambo or Kidani.

I had no idea. That's fascinating! I had no idea there were two separate zebra species, either.

We should take a lesson from the Savanah. Obviously, it's possible for different fur colors and shapes and sizes to get along quite peacefully.

In the spirit of the internet, I will refuse to believe this statement, even though you provided photographic proof.

I see a Hidden Mickey!

My sincere apologies to those of you who find updates dull without some iteration of exploding helicopters.

Hey! I can't help it. Exploding helicopters are the bacon of the literary world.

Putting a giraffe onto a chopper and having it explode is about as inconceivable as a Disney bus arriving within 23 minutes of my getting to a bus stop.

Like Andy said, nobody wants to do that to a giraffe. You might want to do it to the bus after waiting that long, though.

Awww, some really great updates! I seem to be suffering from lack-of-time-itis for commenting in detail, not sure what is up with my pokiness, although I have been trying to read - gasp- a book, this thing that has pages and nowhere to type. Very odd. Shucks, I am really missing Disney, but unfortunately had to replace our kitchen appliances, darn budgeting. But maybe March... Guess I'll have to name the fridge Ursula, the stove Maleficent, the dishwasher Yzma, and the microwave Hades to stay in the mood.

Thanks, Donna!! I understand that disease quite well! It's been weeks since I've made the rounds to the threads I read. So sad!! But so busy!

I started a book recently too, but haven't picked up in weeks either. But flight class ends Thursday so I'll have a little margin after that!

OH dang! Those are very expensive! Ours need it too and I'm dreading it!

LOL! That's funny you'd name them!

I had no idea who those people were in the picture. I won't lie. And I had to google it. What kind of a TR writer are you, making us use google to fill in the blanks???? :rotfl2:

:rotfl:Well, I could say what kinds of Disney Fan ARE you? (But then I'd totally incriminate myself as I had no idea either until the Meet.) And as for making you Google. I do that almost every time I read updates. Especially @franandaj 's or @Flossbolna 's.

Definitely some good customer interaction. Quite frankly, I feel that we should expect no less from a Disney Signature restaurant.

I agree! And in general I have. They seem to still do okay and know what keeps their customer base returning.

lodge-hidden-miceky-jpg.262100

Super hard to see, but I circled it for you.

I knew there had to be one on that totem, but didn't take the time to look! Good job!! +1 bonus point for you!

I'll stick around. Gotta see who wins the contest!

And just think only 4, maybe 5, more updates to go! 2nd half of this one, X, Y, and Z. And possibly a wrap up, bonus chapter. Then the big reveal as one of those!

Then onto the Keys.

Nah. I think you're doing a great job as is.

Aw, thanks! :hug:

I'm growing a bit concerned for you.

I should think about growing some vegetables, too.

In all your spare time. Yes, yes, you should! :lmao:

Nah. I'm a man of many talents.

Yes, you do!!

Inception

Noted!

I wouldn't know what to look for.
And would be scared I'd pick up something poisonous.

He is usually with the Foresters when he gets them. And we haven't died yet....

Yes I know. And I agree with you.
Heck I think I bring better than what they have there!

Yes you do!!! And I should know, I won some! ;)

You remembered!

And... I hate to impose. But... who knows!

Of course I remembered! It was mine. :blush:

There's always good seafood at the coast.

Well that bites!

Or... doesn't.

OUCH!! That's not nice!

Moving isn't too bad. The moon is bright! It's reflected sunlight after all. 1/250 is a good starting point.
But! Yeah... you'd want a telephoto lens, otherwise it's just a tiny dot.

I did some moon shots last year; it was harder than I thought!

12049487_1074478189231117_8882513336796824756_n.jpg

This looks delish! I'm looking forward to the addition of adult drinks on the dining plan. We'll be testing this in February.

I didn't know they were adding that option. I"m so out of the loop!

I'm sure it was the drinks. So how was the bathroom?

Possbly...? ;)

As Disney bathrooms go, fairly boring. I don't remember much about it. Not like Norway's the new Fantasyland Tinkle Area or the Hoop de Doo men's.

I love chocolate!

I like it dark!! 72% to be exact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter