The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

I'm here.
Please contain your groans people.
Although I see it's already on page 3, so wow!
Shush!!! You're always welome here, Doc!!! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: I"m glad you're here. By the way, I know I'm deep into delinquency in PMing you about a Meet Up plan, but I'm just now to a point that I can do that. I JUST a few days ago got my last ADR at Oga's (not that I was waiting on that specifically) but things are fairly firmed up now. Plus, new job stuff (peeing in a cup, getting fit for a respirator, blood draw, etc...) spending a LOT more time with my daughter, etc... has eaten away at free time. But, hopefully tonight I can send some ideas your way! :)

Shush!!! You're always welome here, Doc!!! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: I"m glad you're here. By the way, I know I'm deep into delinquency in PMing you about a Meet Up plan, but I'm just now to a point that I can do that. I JUST a few days ago got my last ADR at Oga's (not that I was waiting on that specifically) but things are fairly firmed up now. Plus, new job stuff (peeing in a cup, getting fit for a respirator, blood draw, etc...) spending a LOT more time with my daughter, etc... has eaten away at free time. But, hopefully tonight I can send some ideas your way! :)

Not at all delinquent in my mind. I know, based on other posts, you're busy and you don't owe me anything, so thus can't be delinquent. Glad you're getting more time to spend with your daughter. You and she have been in my prayers.

Getting fit for a respirator?? The other stuff makes sense, but must be job specific.

Yes, and no.

I did, but it wasn't me! LOL! Brook completely surprised me while I was at work (I can't be on my phone much) so found out hours after the fact that she got us both Oga's for after our Prime Time and a Droid experience after that. My kids were pretty stoked as this is at the top of their list of stuff they want to do. I'm glad you got one too. I was pretty amused at how many people jumped all over it, but had no idea what Oga's even was! LOLOLOL! I think a lot of folks thought it was a restaurant so are now wondering why they even bothered. I did know it was a bar, but was also thinking they'd have at least a little more than $8 bar snack mix. Glad we're going AFTER dinner! I have a feeling when people start to realize #1, you kinda HAVE to buy a $15 drink, #2 there is a 2 drink max per guest (not an issue for me, but do wonder if some people might have though they could camp if they bought more, and #3, there is a 45-minute time limit, the ADRs will be given back and it'll be easier to get one.

This'll be our son James' special trip and he doesn't want any spoilers before he goes. So he didn't know anything about any of this stuff. We told him that if we'd all done that, he'd have been walking by these places saying "gee, I'd like to go in there", but no dice! He's lucky he has the rest of us staying on top of this stuff.

I don't know, I've been on top of what's gone on at SWGE at Disneyland so I knew what the deal was with Oga's. So, it's hard for me to imagine people thinking they're going to get a meal, but I suppose there are all kinds out there. You may be right, some ADRs may open up.

Aulani is WAY up there on my list to travel to. Has been for a very long time. Someday.... I had a feeling you'd say AKL and specifically Jambo being that Kidani is your home resort. (It is, right?) I'd agree... so grand and spectacular!

It is so amazing. Everyone HAS to go, at least once.

Yes, AKL is our home resort and specifically Kidani is on the deed. :thumbsup2

your reports are great but it's 'Ohana

I like it whenever someone corrects Liesa...saves me the effort! :rotfl:

Just saw your questions...

Absolute favorite: Tiffin's. I don't get there every time, but as often as I can. (only the ROL package though...great value)
One and done:
It's a toss up for me between Mama Melrose's or Nine dragons.
Mama Melrose's, the food was meh and the service was even more meh.
Nine dragons, the food was meh, although the service was good.

Not necessarily what you asked, but as for buffets, I find crystal palace to be one of the worst. Since it's a character meal, I think the foods are much more tailored to kids and the quality of the food was lacking. I'd much prefer to get good food and skip the characters, so biergarten is the best buffet (IMHO).

Sadly, no. Back when we should have bought into it, we didn't realize how badly we'd caught the bug. And it wasn't really in the budget. Now it's not practical. :sad1:
OH I hear ya. Now that I finally am closer to being in a financial place to do it, it doesn't make sense anymore. While I haven't crunched the numbers for myself officially, I've heard loads of people say it. Plus, am also wanting to travel to other places too.

We did buy in 2008 and got a great deal. Have considered buying more at different resorts or on resale market several times, but two factors (okay 3 right now) are keeping me from it:
1) Paying two mortgages (house in GA and here in FL). Hopefully this will be remedied soon
2) Now that we live local, staying on property isn't as big of a draw as it was. Either renting points or will go to Vero beach or Hilton Head which are much better points wise anyway.
3) They keep taking away benefits of DVC. I was REALLY mad the last time I tried to go to top of the world lounge (A DVC perk). They told me unless I was staying on property currently, I could not do that. So, a perk I used to have as a DVC member...gone. I've heard they're likely going to be doing away with the DVC lounge in EPCOT. As of right now, we don't have to pay for parking, but I would not be surprised to see them take away that perk also. I guess they keep charging more (i.e. parking at resort) and keep giving less and it seems to me a trend that will continue.

I've debated about buying more and renting the points, but even that is non necessarily a financially sound thing to do. Since there are SO many people who would prefer to sell their DVC (resales market is booming) or rent their points because they no longer want to come as often, the price per point for renting points is lower than it should be. Basic economics...supply vs. demand. Greater supply than demand and they keep building more resorts.

She ended up getting preggers
Congrats! To her and to you for becoming (soon) a 3Xgrammie!
Luckily, the school that Anara goes to starts in very late September and we could go then, after the weather is just a couple degrees cooler, and when we’d get to do a Party, and when the crowds would be substantially thinner. Plus… Food and Wine. Need I say more?
Yes. say more, please.
It was far too late to change dates, and I wouldn’t have anyway, but it sure monkeyed with every spreadsheet draft I’d done up.
I bet!
My try-to-get-to-every-time place would probably be Tiffins or the Nomad Lounge. Sigh…. just wonderful memories there, amazing atmosphere, and they have my beloved Pisco Sour and will make it with the egg white. The food is so excellent at both places and it’s quiet enough to have a decent conversation. Plus, at the Nomad, I adore the outside seating area!! COMFY!!!
Some day I'll get over there. Maybe this trip. :)
My one-and-done? Sci-Fi Drive-in.
Our experience wasn't so great there either... but I'm willing to try again. Lesley Wake had a good burger there...
(peeing in a cup, getting fit for a respirator, blood draw, etc...)
And that's not even work related!

LOL! Lots of drivel!
:laughing:
And in my case, that equals... "rambling".
Mine too!
I don't have to like Moosehead, right?
Well, I don't, so...
I know! Super lame. Perhaps today is the day!
And? Was it? Where's the suitcase now?
But I have so many!
:lmao:
It was the train. During this time it's not running, they are still staffing the station and it was fun to go up and talk to them. They let you have photos ops on the empty train and let you poke around. Worth it!
I went up there too!
I like it too but don't hit it up every trip. However, I did get there last year and will again in a few weeks. I think this time we're gonna do a sampler and a pot pie for the 4 of us.
Sounds like a good plan for everyone to try everything. :)
As for 8 Spoons... :cloud9: It's an every trip for me too!
And I will this trip too! Thanks for the tip!
Not done that one. Now I probably won't. Heard not so great reviews of it including yours.
Yeah. Skip it.
Savvvannnaaahhh
Not necessarily what you asked, but as for buffets, I find crystal palace to be one of the worst.
Agree on this!

Trying to catch up (story of my life)

The timing of trips, especially when they are not solo trips, can be especially tricky.
So very true. I'm past it now, but I remember having to constantly plan around school schedules.

Originally, my other daughter and her husband were supposed to go with us, but things changed a bit and now, in hindsight, it’s a good thing they aren’t going after all.
Well, it's good on multiple levels. The reason they're not going - CONGRATULATIONS to all of you and it would be tough at 6 months.

On top of that, when we started planning this family trip over 2 years ago, I knew I’d have kids still in school, either college or high school, so needed to take that into account.
Yep, see comment above.

Plus… Food and Wine. Need I say more?
Nope

I’m glad for it, don’t get me wrong, but the crowd estimates shot up like a Main Street balloon from a toddler’s hand on a windy day.
My advice would be stay away from HS. The other parks will very likely have LOWER crowds because of everyone clamoring for SWGE. Glad I was able to snag an AP preview in 4 days!

Given all of that, we’ll be flying out on September 13th at the very dark and horrible hour of 6:00AM.
That's not bad.

Which means a 4:00AM Uber from my daughter’s place.
Now, that's getting bad.

We’re scheduled to get into MCO at the perfect time of 3:15PM (they are almost always early though) which gets us to DTD in plenty of time for dinner.
But worth the early morning rise! Hopefully ya'll will be able to snooze a bit on the flight.

The kids will all fly home together on the 22nd and I will stay on doing my own thing after that. Yes, I have plans but am protecting those and my time a bit. But, I will share some of what I do all in the right time.
Understood, but if you'd like some other options or ideas, PM me. I absolutely won't intrude on your solo time, but have some other ideas you and I and DW might be able to do/enjoy. Again, completely up to you either way...won't take offense if it's no.

spend time at DTD (sorry, I’m a stubborn woman and it will always be a nostalgic DTD to me)
Has nothing to do with being stubborn. Simply it's correct and rightful name.

What was your favorite resort you’ve stayed and why? And what is a little hidden secret or piece of advice you can share about it?
Favorite resort: Wilderness lodge villas for theming and transportation or Beach Club for pool.
Not sure about hidden secret for WLV, but for storm along bay....might work, might not.
When we went to the slide after we'd gotten our bands to "allow" us in the pool, the CM at the slide had bands and were giving to folks if they didn't have one. I thought that would give the option of going to the pool if one were to go to the slide first, but I don't know if that was a regular thing or a fluke. I may have to give it a try one day, just to see if it could possibly work.
Piece of advice for WL....set aside time to explore and enjoy. The theming and decorations are so good, take time to "smell the roses"

I am here! Not a lot of time for DIS at the moment, but I try to stay on top reading your reports, even if I don’t post much. But I guess that’s why I was left out in this list:

I think the longest standing readers I have are @franandaj , @glennbo123 , @Captain_Oblivious and @irene_dsc

:sad:

Every trip restaurant: Flying Fish, which I think is a one and done for you, and Boathouse

One and done restaurant: Be our Guest. We just had a really bad experience there with service weren’t thrilled with the food and I don’t like the atmosphere.

Favorite hotel: AKL, tip: there are all kind of activities there (actually open to everyone, you don’t need to stay there). Those are very unique and many ar led by African cast members who can give you an insight into life in Africa.

Hey!! Happy to have stumbled upon another one of your reports!! Looking forward to following along! I have to try Nomad lounge one of these days as a lot of people seem to really love it! And I love me a Pisco Sour too! So excited for you getting to go back again! With no Disney trip in sight...I will be living vicariously!

We are WDW Vets 40 trips. We stopped counting

Ok Food wise Via Napoli is a must and Ohana everything else is what we find. Yachtsman Steakhouse was great. Next Trip is planned for Nov 16 - 18 at OKW adult trip for us with Food and Wine Oh did I mention the Italian Margarita's in Italy oh heck yes.

Hey! I'm here before you are 10 pages in. :flower1:. So funny you will be gone some of the same dates as me again. We are headed to California for a few days Sept 20 and plan to explore Batuu. I just wish for both of us the 2nd ride, Smuggler"s Run would be open at the time.

Must eat at? For DH it's Ohana. Probably the one and done would be San Angel, not as much for the cost vs value as for the snotty waitress who didn't like us only ordering $85 worth of snacks.

Favorite resort? I would say Aulani is Heaven on Earth. Loved AKL but usually end up at SSR because it's our home, and we love it too!

Last edited:
Well I typed up a response when this was still on page one and never posted but I think this is still the earliest I've joined one of your reports!

So let me start: Our try to get to each trip would be EITHER Citricos OR Narcoossee's. It's rare that we don't do either (May was a rare one of those times but we had so much else to do!). As a one and done..........there are a few we don't need to ever return to but I guess at the top would be Crystal Palace 🤢 We ate there in 2018 under duress and it was not good at all. I'll of course go back for my grandkids but will try steering them elsewhere!

And I, you! 9/14 we'll be in DAK/Narcooses, 9/15 Ohanas for breakfast/MNSSHP , 9/16 EPCOT
Ooh 9/16 we'll be in EPCOT too! We have a food and beverage pairing at 2:30 but should be there a bit earlier so I'd love to meet up!
My try-to-get-to-every-time place would probably be Tiffins or the Nomad Lounge.
LOVE Nomad! We've gone there almost all of our last few trips! We're doing lunch at Tiffins again next week :goodvibes
What was your favorite resort you’ve stayed and why? And what is a little hidden secret or piece of advice you can share about it?
Oh this is too easy: my beloved WL :love: No other resort comes close and I can now say I've stayed at all the deluxes. As for a hidden secret? Hmm.....well lost of people know this already but they do a resort Hidden Mickey hunt; you ask for the sheet at the desk!

Not at all delinquent in my mind. I know, based on other posts, you're busy and you don't owe me anything, so thus can't be delinquent. Glad you're getting more time to spend with your daughter. You and she have been in my prayers.

Getting fit for a respirator?? The other stuff makes sense, but must be job specific.
Well, if I ever need to care for a patient with TB or other airborne disease, they put them into a negative pressure room and the caregivers wear protective gear so as not to contract also. :)

Thanks for continuing to think of us. :)

This'll be our son James' special trip and he doesn't want any spoilers before he goes. So he didn't know anything about any of this stuff. We told him that if we'd all done that, he'd have been walking by these places saying "gee, I'd like to go in there", but no dice! He's lucky he has the rest of us staying on top of this stuff.

Oh dear! I can see that not going well. Glad he's got at least someone looking out for this stuff!

I don't know, I've been on top of what's gone on at SWGE at Disneyland so I knew what the deal was with Oga's. So, it's hard for me to imagine people thinking they're going to get a meal, but I suppose there are all kinds out there. You may be right, some ADRs may open up.

I was pretty surprised too as it was not just newbs who'd done it. LOL!

It is so amazing. Everyone HAS to go, at least once.

Yes, AKL is our home resort and specifically Kidani is on the deed. :thumbsup2

I thought so! I don't know why I can remember stuff like that but not when my first grandkid's birthday is. 🤪
Yes, that is true, Glen... er... Glenn who visits his home on the Savanah.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!