The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

Absolute favorite: Tiffin's. I don't get there every time, but as often as I can. (only the ROL package though...great value)

I KNEW you'd say that!
One and done:
It's a toss up for me between Mama Melrose's or Nine dragons.
Mama Melrose's, the food was meh and the service was even more meh.
Nine dragons, the food was meh, although the service was good.

Yeah, 9 dragons is a hard pass for me. I've NEVER heard a good review of it and I can get Chinese (mediocre Chinese at that) on any day right here in sleepy little Salem.

Never done Mama's but recently l read a good review from Su-Lynn. Might give it a try someday?

Not necessarily what you asked, but as for buffets, I find crystal palace to be one of the worst. Since it's a character meal, I think the foods are much more tailored to kids and the quality of the food was lacking. I'd much prefer to get good food and skip the characters, so biergarten is the best buffet (IMHO).

I just don't do them. I like to eat smaller portions but more often and buffets are a colossal waste of money for me/us. The one I would try is the one at Artist Point with Snow White for a character meal. Maybe. Not a buffet, but the food looks okay.

I've debated about buying more and renting the points, but even that is non necessarily a financially sound thing to do. Since there are SO many people who would prefer to sell their DVC (resales market is booming) or rent their points because they no longer want to come as often, the price per point for renting points is lower than it should be. Basic economics...supply vs. demand. Greater supply than demand and they keep building more resorts.
Yeah, I think right now that's the number one complaint. Really DVCers are now just part of the regular old herd getting upcharged and nickle and dimed to death. Sad.

Congrats! To her and to you for becoming (soon) a 3Xgrammie!
Thanks!! (It makes me old)
Yes. say more, please.

Much to my wallet's chagrin, I usually do.

Some day I'll get over there. Maybe this trip. :)

I hope so! It's lovely!

Our experience wasn't so great there either... but I'm willing to try again. Lesley Wake had a good burger there...

Let me know how it is!

And that's not even work related!

Well, they want a "clean" staff, but no, I didn't get paid to go do an entire day's worth of work.

Well, I don't, so...

Yes, you enjoy your Cearsars, yes? Not sure why the Canada Pav doesn't have these! (Possibly because the same people who are running the Mock'n'tile are in charge of food and bevs.)

And? Was it? Where's the suitcase now?

Umm, er..... umm...

I went up there too!

It's kinda cool empty isn't it? And it's still awesome for the Main Street shots. :thumbsup2

Sounds like a good plan for everyone to try everything. :)

::yes::

Savvvannnaaahhh
Oh sure... you too now. LOL!

So very true. I'm past it now, but I remember having to constantly plan around school schedules.

Hate that. And why I go solo a lot now.

Well, it's good on multiple levels. The reason they're not going - CONGRATULATIONS to all of you and it would be tough at 6 months.

Thanks!! And yes, she'd be aced out of too many rides and be hot and miserable.

My advice would be stay away from HS. The other parks will very likely have LOWER crowds because of everyone clamoring for SWGE. Glad I was able to snag an AP preview in 4 days!

Um, er, we've got 2 EEMH's planned with FPs and plans to be at the park by 5:30. We'll see...

Now, that's getting bad.

Yeah...
But worth the early morning rise! Hopefully ya'll will be able to snooze a bit on the flight.

I doubt it. MY neck is too trashed now to find any comfy position. :(

Understood, but if you'd like some other options or ideas, PM me. I absolutely won't intrude on your solo time, but have some other ideas you and I and DW might be able to do/enjoy. Again, completely up to you either way...won't take offense if it's no.

Will do...

Favorite resort: Wilderness lodge villas for theming and transportation or Beach Club for pool.

Good choice! I'm hearing an equal number of Poly and WL.

When we went to the slide after we'd gotten our bands to "allow" us in the pool, the CM at the slide had bands and were giving to folks if they didn't have one. I thought that would give the option of going to the pool if one were to go to the slide first, but I don't know if that was a regular thing or a fluke. I may have to give it a try one day, just to see if it could possibly work.

OH, very interesting! I"ve never stayed at any of the EPCOT resorts other than Boardwalk, but hope to someday. I like the pool area too, and hope to one day get to use it.

Piece of advice for WL....set aside time to explore and enjoy. The theming and decorations are so good, take time to "smell the roses"

Good advice for any resort OR park, but WL does seem to have so much tucked away to be discovered by those who take the time!

I am here! Not a lot of time for DIS at the moment, but I try to stay on top reading your reports, even if I don’t post much. But I guess that’s why I was left out in this list:

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I KNEW as soon as I posted that list I'd leave at least one person off that absolutely should have been on it! Crap!! Of course! And you of all people whom I've even MET on her home turf! You are probably not the only one either! But, consider yourself no less loved, Sweet Friend! I hope whatever is keeping you from being here is all kinds of wonderful!

Every trip restaurant: Flying Fish, which I think is a one and done for you, and Boathouse
Yeah, after having tried both now, Boathouse FAR exceeds Flying Fish. For seafood that's gonna be my go-to!
One and done restaurant: Be our Guest. We just had a really bad experience there with service weren’t thrilled with the food and I don’t like the atmosphere.

I"m not a huge fan of BoG either. Food was very mediocre and the atmosphere is cool, but even with all the theming, it stilll felt like a cafeteria in some respects.

Favorite hotel: AKL, tip: there are all kind of activities there (actually open to everyone, you don’t need to stay there). Those are very unique and many ar led by African cast members who can give you an insight into life in Africa.

I honestly can't chooses which would be my fave of the deluxes I've tried: AKL, Poly, GF, or Boardwalk. I guess all for different reasons. But you are right, for a resort to take you completely into a different culture, AKL has got to come out on top. I LOVE talking with the CMs there and I think my favorite memory of doing that was on the Wanyama Tour when we talked with the young woman from Nigeria. Just a lovely time.

Hey!! Happy to have stumbled upon another one of your reports!! Looking forward to following along! I have to try Nomad lounge one of these days as a lot of people seem to really love it! And I love me a Pisco Sour too! So excited for you getting to go back again! With no Disney trip in sight...I will be living vicariously!

YAY!!! I"m so glad you're here too, Kathy!

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: to another Steppe Report! I recommend the Nomad to anyone and suggest the small plates, especially the bread service!

We are WDW Vets 40 trips. We stopped counting

Ok Food wise Via Napoli is a must and Ohana everything else is what we find. Yachtsman Steakhouse was great. Next Trip is planned for Nov 16 - 18 at OKW adult trip for us with Food and Wine Oh did I mention the Italian Margarita's in Italy oh heck yes.
YAY!! A resident expert has stepped up to the plate!! Very happy you are here with us! Please chime in often and share your knowledge!

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: !!!

Another vote for VN!! Lots of them! 'Ohana is a LOT of food for lil' 'ol me. But it IS good!

I KEEP hearing excellent things about the Yachtsman and will someday make it there! I've only had The Ditch's margs, which are excellent, but not the Italian ones. Hmmm...

Hey! I'm here before you are 10 pages in. :flower1:. So funny you will be gone some of the same dates as me again. We are headed to California for a few days Sept 20 and plan to explore Batuu. I just wish for both of us the 2nd ride, Smuggler"s Run would be open at the time.

LOL! They can move fast! ;) Super glad you'e here, Tammie! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Again?! I am actually going to see Batuu in Cali the weekend of the 7-9th! I can't wait!!

Must eat at? For DH it's Ohana. Probably the one and done would be San Angel, not as much for the cost vs value as for the snotty waitress who didn't like us only ordering $85 worth of snacks.

UGH, that is NOT good news. We have an ADR there this trip and keep hoping it's a good meal.

Favorite resort? I would say Aulani is Heaven on Earth. Loved AKL but usually end up at SSR because it's our home, and we love it too!
That's the 2nd? 3rd? vote for Aulani. Someday..... someday...

An yet another for AKL. Not ever been to SSR, but then again, not DVC. Might someday rent points, but that will be down the road a ways.

Last edited:
Well I typed up a response when this was still on page one and never posted but I think this is still the earliest I've joined one of your reports!

Well, you're here now and that's all that counts! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

So let me start: Our try to get to each trip would be EITHER Citricos OR Narcoossee's.

Of the two I'll be trying Narcoosee's first. Citricos was okay, and I'd go back but not in a hurry.

It's rare that we don't do either (May was a rare one of those times but we had so much else to do!).

I'd say your May trip was pretty darned packed out!

As a one and done..........there are a few we don't need to ever return to but I guess at the top would be Crystal Palace 🤢 We ate there in 2018 under duress and it was not good at all. I'll of course go back for my grandkids but will try steering them elsewhere!

Yeah, not ever had a desire to even try it. Not into characters and less into breakfast. Blech.

Ooh 9/16 we'll be in EPCOT too! We have a food and beverage pairing at 2:30 but should be there a bit earlier so I'd love to meet up!

Then we shall make a plan!

LOVE Nomad! We've gone there almost all of our last few trips! We're doing lunch at Tiffins again next week :goodvibes

My faves!! :love:

Oh this is too easy: my beloved WL :love: No other resort comes close and I can now say I've stayed at all the deluxes. As for a hidden secret? Hmm.....well lost of people know this already but they do a resort Hidden Mickey hunt; you ask for the sheet at the desk!
I did know about that! And KNEW you'd choose WL!!

I'll have to get my HM list and work on it!

Never done Mama's but recently l read a good review from Su-Lynn. Might give it a try someday?
I'm going to spoil my next update here, but...
Mama Melrose was by far my best meal of my last trip.
Thanks!! (It makes me old)
Nope. Just a young grandmother.
Let me know how it is!
I may never know. Have no plans to go there anytime soon.
Well, they want a "clean" staff, but no, I didn't get paid to go do an entire day's worth of work.
pity.
Yes, you enjoy your Cearsars, yes? Not sure why the Canada Pav doesn't have these! (Possibly because the same people who are running the Mock'n'tile are in charge of food and bevs.)
That might be a good idea, except...

Remember how everyone reacted at Fran & Alison's? You all thought it would taste fishy or slimy or...

No one would order it.
Umm, er..... umm...
:lmao:
It's kinda cool empty isn't it? And it's still awesome for the Main Street shots. :thumbsup2

I am here. I remember when you were All7ofUs. Must do's are Tiffins (dd's), Le Cellier (dh's though we have never had a bad meal here), and me well I don't really have must do. I do try to pick some new places every trip. One and done was Chef Mickey's. We were forgotten about while waiting to be seated and I even went up to ask how much longer when people who had checked in after us were being seated. The food was forgettable and we have never been back. Mama Melrose was one of the best meals we had on our last trip in Sept 2018. We have only stayed at POP, AOA, and AKL SV Club level so that was my favorite by far.

An yet another for AKL. Not ever been to SSR, but then again, not DVC. Might someday rent points, but that will be down the road a ways.
SSR is our home resort...if you want to rent points, let me know...you can ask @pkondz is it was a good deal.

Remember how everyone reacted at Fran & Alison's? You all thought it would taste fishy or slimy or...
This is funny...we have a lady at or church that stopped eating Caesar salad (even though she loved em) when she found out the dressing has anchovies in it. :lmao:

Must do's are Tiffins
Yay!

One and done was Chef Mickey's. We were forgotten about while waiting to be seated and I even went up to ask how much longer when people who had checked in after us were being seated.
Yep, that would do it.

Mama Melrose was one of the best meals we had on our last trip in Sept 2018.
I guess I'm one of the only ones that didn't like mama melroses. Might be because my wife is Italian and she makes amazing meals, so maybe I'm just harder to please. ;)

SSR is our home resort...if you want to rent points, let me know...you can ask @pkondz is it was a good deal.
This is funny...we have a lady at or church that stopped eating Caesar salad (even though she loved em) when she found out the dressing has anchovies in it. :lmao:
"I love this! It's delicious!.. it has anchovies in it? I've never had anchovies, but I'm sure I don't like them, so I've changed my mind. I hate the salad."

Ooh 9/16 we'll be in EPCOT too! We have a food and beverage pairing at 2:30 but should be there a bit earlier so I'd love to meet up!
My wife and I should be there also, but not that early (stupid work ;)).

LOVE Nomad! We've gone there almost all of our last few trips! We're doing lunch at Tiffins again next week :goodvibes
Mmmmm, Tiffins.

Oh this is too easy: my beloved WL
::yes:: Knew this and I agree.

We love it and we always do the Rivers of Light package too.

Yep, that would do it.
Even after I went up to ask we still ended up waiting about 30 more minutes. We were seated about an hour after our adr time.

I guess I'm one of the only ones that didn't like mama melroses. Might be because my wife is Italian and she makes amazing meals, so maybe I'm just harder to please. ;)
Well to tell you the truth we had avoided it for many years because I kept hearing bad reviews but we wanted to try something new and we were pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for the breakdown of your rationale of when to visit. Though Galaxy's Edge certainly throws a bit of a wrench in a lot of people's plans, I'm sure!! It sounds like you're going to have just the right amount of time to really bask in the glow of a Disney vacation, get all kinds of fun things done, and even have a bit of downtime!

I hadn't thought about Nomad Lounge when I was choosing my restaurant selections, but that's another great pick! I'm hoping we'll get back there when we go on our trip next week.

What was your favorite resort you’ve stayed and why? And what is a little hidden secret or piece of advice you can share about it?

Ooooh....this is too tricky! I like so many resorts for different reasons!! I think my favourite resort might be Wilderness Lodge. Possibly. I also actually really like All Star Sports. Not sure why, but I think it's my favourite of the All Star resorts. And Nathan likes a lot of them, too, but he has a soft spot for Pop Century because it was where we stayed on his first trip ever. But for the purposes of this question, and because of the incredibly special place it holds in my heart, and that we keep going back to visit and to eat over and over again, I'm gonna pick Animal Kingdom Lodge. :lovestruc My advice is always Boma. :laughing: But something that not everyone knows about Boma is that they will make you a mimosa with jungle juice (instead of orange juice) if you ask for it. *slurp!*

LOL! They can move fast! ;) Super glad you'e here, Tammie! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Again?! I am actually going to see Batuu in Cali the weekend of the 7-9th! I can't wait!!

UGH, that is NOT good news. We have an ADR there this trip and keep hoping it's a good meal.

That's the 2nd? 3rd? vote for Aulani. Someday..... someday...

Yes, you need to put Aulani on the list. We like the quiet feel at SSR after a busy park day. I hear Turf club cooks up a mean steam but haven't tried it yet.

We love it and we always do the Rivers of Light package too.
::yes:: For the ROL package, it's a really good deal for what you get. Last time I gave my ROL tickets away since (speaking of one and done) it's just okay....nothing going boom...no good! :lmao:

"I love this! It's delicious!.. it has anchovies in it? I've never had anchovies, but I'm sure I don't like them, so I've changed my mind. I hate the salad."
That is almost EXACTLY how it played out. I found it hilarious.

My advice is always Boma.
No, really?? I never would have figured....it's not as if you rave about it or anything. :laughing:

I still need to get there for breakfast. We did dinner and it was good, but not fantastic for me. I'm a pretty finicky eater and I'm not big on spicy foods, so I had to pick and choose wisely. The one thing that kinda makes it great....zebra domes!

Last edited:
I still need to get there for breakfast. We did dinner and it was good, but not fantastic for me. I'm a pretty finicky eater and I'm not big on spicy foods, so I had to pick and choose wisely. The one thing that kinda makes it great....zebra domes!

:rotfl: Yeah, I may have mentioned my love of Boma once or twice...

For the record, I find breakfast bit more "finicky"-friendly than dinner. Dinner is a bit more adventurous, I find.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter