The ABC's of a BSN Celebration! Trip Wrap up; Final Thoughts (7/11)

Steppesister

DIS Veteran
The ABC’s of a BSN Celebration!

A is for: Anxious to GO!!!

My tradition in Trip Reporting is to post a few chapters of Pre-trip stuff prior to my departure to get the stage set for actual Trip Reporting right out of the gate when I return. So here are the introductions and backstory to get us up to speed. This chapter is rather dry; I promise my writing CAN be better than this and I realize this material may be a bit on the boring side. Nevertheless, for those of you who care to join, both new and longtime friends, WELCOME!!!

This year has been rough. By now, that’s fairly cliché, but then again, most of my TR’s are filled with such drivel.

So let’s not begin with such dreary material, shall we? Instead, let’s say it’s been a year of amazing progress and change in my life. Not all has been happy, but all has been rewarding. I have not been to Disney in over a year now. For a multitude of reasons, it just wasn’t possible or wise. So let me, Dear Reader, fill in the gaps with the good, the bad, and the ugly of the last many months- take it or leave it, this is what I’ve got.

For those of you who are new to my ABC’s of Trip Reporting, let me quickly introduce myself. (For those of you who have been around a while, skip this.) My name is Liesa, mom to 5 amazing “kids”- 2 boys and 3 girls. Most are grown and out of the house. I have 3 beautiful grandkiddlies who are the apples of my eye. Well, eyes, I suppose. I do have more than. And there it is, the eyes have it. :rolleyes2 Only one grandbaby lives nearby and I get to see him fairly regularly, but not often enough. While single and working a lot as Recovery Room Nurse, I do try to stay busy with things. Sadly, this year many of my hobbies have suffered due to a bit of the same depression and malaise many of you may have as well. Travel, my true love, has all but disappeared and without something to plan or write about, it’s been… hard. I enjoy photography, board games, Disney (obviously), writing, and friends and family.

The trip to Disney last Fall with the kids was meant to be a time of healing and re-connection after my marriage ended. It served us well to be together and I am grateful that since then each of us has found ways to reconcile and time together has been less awkward.

Then the Holidays came… we had to find new traditions and learn to share our time. I think we succeeded despite my having had neck surgery on Dec. 16th. I was a fool and insisted on hosting 13 people in my tiny 2-bedroom apartment on Dec. 21st. It set my recovery back weeks , if not months, and can say that while the first month or two was VERY rough, I survived. I was off work for 6 weeks and probably should have been off more. Having said that, while far from perfect, I am glad I’m not where I was pain-wise during those first weeks. While in the midst I was worried that my new life might be one as an invalid. I powered through it and conquered.

Just as I was through that horrific recovery, Covid struck. There was worry, angst, anger, grief, and mourning. But I seized the day, so to speak, and made hay while the sun shone. Our surgical center closed for 2 months and all elective surgeries were cancelled or postponed at my 2nd job at the hospital as well. Our company (the surgical center where I work 35 or so hours a week) was very generous and paid us 66% of our average weekly hours, and the hospital made accommodations and gave those of us in the same-day surgery area opportunities to orient to other departments. So, I spent long, LONG hours there orienting the Senior Behavioral Unit where I helped manage and assist with mentally ill seniors. <No, Sally, you need to keep your top on during dinner; Please, George, you shouldn’t put food in your pockets.”> I also picked up shifts often 12AM-8AM or 4AM-2PM screening folks as the front doors. And to top it off, I picked up a TON of 1:1 shifts keeping eyes on patients in the ED who were suicidal or whatnot. Many of those were nights. AND on top of that, I was picking up every Call Shift in the Recovery Room I could. My job was uncertain, my financial situation was tenuous, and I was scared. So, I chose to fix that, and did. Opportunity knocked, I welcomed it in.

While in the midst of that, the seeds of deciding to re-locate were sown. But, I knew I needed to prepare professionally in order to set myself up for the best job oppotunities. Why else would someone working as much as this begin a degree program?! But I did, and can now proudly say I can add BSN behind my name. I can also say that I actually enjoyed the classes for the most part. Biochem and stats were not bad at all, and while the classes that required paper writing were tedious and time-consuming, I breezed through in 4 months. Opportunity knocked, I embraced it.

As I said, the seeds of relocation were planted and I will be moving to Bowling Green, Kentucky by next Christmas. The Oregon weather has never been my friend; the gray and rainy days are depressing and while I’d rather leave politics aside, Oregon is not going the direction I’d like. Buh-bye!! My oldest “kids” have told me they are also planning to get out of Dodge and have their eyes on Texas, while my youngest is working on her TOEFL (Teaching English as a Second Language) Certificate and wants to head overseas when she’s done. Given all of that, it makes me feel a WHOLE lot better about buying half the value of my parents’ home and moving in with them. That way, as they age, I can be nearer and involved as I’ve not been able to since leaving home in 1985. It’s the right thing to do. I’ll also be nearer to my sisters (one in BG and the other in Virginia) and can always fly to see my kids and grandkids. During my Covid-workaholic mode I’ve been able to save quite a bit of my income and am feeling SO much better about where I am. Opportunity knocks, I am choosing to answer.

By early Fall, both jobs have gone back to business as usual (Thank God! People need the surgeries their doctors deem necessary; elective isn’t always a suggestion!) and I’m back to doing the Perianesthesia Nursing that I love. But, often that is working 5 10-hour days, and many weekends I take a 24-hour call. Those surgeries that should have happened during those months back in the Spring are now back-logged and we are busy!

While the settlement was very fair, I am now having to make up for lost time on retirement. Slow but sure wins the race. It also makes me exhausted. I’m tired. I need a vacation. Badly. I contemplated Costa Rica a while back, but never followed through. Generally speaking, I’m kind of a tightwad and pretty frugal; I just plodded on hoping things would get better. It hasn’t and there is no end in sight, despite the vaccine rolling out. I don’t know about other places, but Oregon has done a dismal job in distribution with a small fraction of what they’d hoped when we got our doses. Mismanagement is the modus operandi here. I’m not getting any younger, but I am getting more tired. It’s time to go somewhere and find some rest. That’s when I saw @disneyAndi14 say something about a possible trip in January. It didn’t work out, which super bummed me out, but I still wanted to go. I contacted my Disney Bestie @Malia78 and she was going with her folks the first week of February. That would work!!! Opportunity knocked; Hello, Disney! Where have you been for so long?!

(No, we're not a couple! But the photo does have a hilarious story.)

I can be impetuous. It’s a fault I have, and it sometimes works out. Sometimes it’s disastrous, but this time I think it did the trick of locking me into a trip I really need. Within hours of making the snap decision to go on a basically last-minute trip, I had booked a package, a flight, and found a roomie. But all of that will have to wait for the next post as this chapter is already far, FAR too long and dry. But that is the background and genesis of a Winter Trip celebrating the seized opportunities of the last year. The world is a messy, chaotic mess right now. It's also a beautiful oyster and there is still good in it. I may be uneasy about a lot of things, but deep down there is joy and hope. I am bolstered by some rock steady friends who help me see clearly when I start to lose my way. I hope in this new year you too have a bright outlook for things to come. Carpe diem!!!

More to come in the coming days….

Last edited:
List of Drivel:

A is for: Anxious to GO! ^UP THERE^

B is for: Bound for Disney with Bold Plans!- Pg. 2

C is for: Condensed Compendium and Coursings of Color- Pg. 3

D is for: Disney Dreaming and Deliberations- Pt. 5

E is for: EEK! EXTRA PERSON EQUALS EXTRA EXCITEMENT- Pt. 6

F is for: FINALLY Off and Flying High!- Pg. 7

G is for: Getting There is Half the Fun! - Pg. 9 (Pts.1 and 2)

H is for: Hanging Around in Hollywoodland!- Pg. 10

I is for: I'm Finally "Home"- Pg. 12

J is for: A Jubilee in Jaleo- Pg. 14

K is for: A Kaleidoscope of Disney Kolors!- Pg. 16

L is for: In Love with the Land-- Pg. 17

M is for Magical Moments on Mountains- Pt. 1 and 2- Pg. 19

N is for: Nahtazu!!- Pg. 20

O is for: Open Wide Pt. 1- Pg. 22

O is for: Open Wide- Pt. 2- Pg. 23

O is for: Open Wide!- Pt. 3 (AK Schnacks)- Pg. 26

O is for: Open Wide Pt. 4; More DHS and EPCOT "Regular" Eats- Pg. 28

O is for: Open Wide(R)!- FArts Foods, Keep ‘em Comin!- Pg. 28

P is for: (Of) Pasta and Poltergeists- Pg. 29

Q is for Quiet Wanderings- Pg. 31

R is for: Recruits, Rise and Resist!- Pg. 32

S is for Savoring the Spectrum of Arts- Pg. 33

T is for: Tow Mater Takes Us in- Pg. 34

U is for: Under the Sea- Pg.- 36

V is for: Vogue Hollywood Views- 36

W is for: Wine Bar George With a Side of Boathouse- Pg. 37

X is for: eXploring the Most eXotic Pavilion!- Pg. 38

Y is for: You Believe this Bathroom?!!- Pg. 39

Last edited:

Hi! :wave:

I'm at work, and suspect you posted more than one photo, but... I'll see them some other time. I only see the one of you holding your diploma. (And a nice photo it is!)
My tradition in Trip Reporting is to post a few chapters of Pre-trip stuff
And my tradition is to only minimally comment on those. But I do have a couple comments right out of the gate. ;)
most of my TR’s are filled with such drivel.
Patently untrue.
I have 3 beautiful grandkiddlies who are the apples of my eye. Well, eyes, I suppose. I do have more than. And there it is, the eyes have it. :rolleyes2
eye yie yie.
So you say you have "more than"... just how many eyes do you have???? I've met you and I've only noticed two.
The trip to Disney last Fall with the kids
I had to re-read that. After also reading about the surgery last December......... I eventually pieced together that you meant "last Fall" of 2019. Not last fall.
had neck surgery on Dec. 16th. I was a fool and insisted on hosting 13 people in my tiny 2-bedroom apartment on Dec. 21st. It set my recovery back weeks , if not months, and can say that while the first month or two was VERY rough, I survived.
:faint:
Oh, man. Sorry you had to go through that!
My job was uncertain, my financial situation was tenuous, and I was scared. So, I chose to fix that, and did.
Yes, you certainly did... but it sure wasn't easy, it sounds like! :scared:
While in the midst of that, the seeds of deciding to re-locate were sown.
Oh! This is news! Big news, too!
while my youngest is working on her TOEFL (Teaching English as a Second Language)
Okay... so what does the "O" in TOEFL stand for then?
At first I thought Teaching Awful English Foreign Language... but that's an "A"...
So perhaps Offal English? But that's full of crap.
Hello, Disney! Where have you been for so long?!
Wonderful! Wish I could go to Disney. I'll have to wait a while longer until the border opens up. Even then, doubt I'd be able to go for a bit.
Okay? Share????
Carpe diem!!!
Latin for "Catch some dam carp!"

The trip to Disney last Fall with the kids was meant to be a time of healing and re-connection
I'm not sure I realized (or I missed it....or I can't remember!!!) that's why that trip came to be, but reading that sentence made me want to give you a giant hug!! Disney is the best therapy sometimes, isn't it? I'm glad the trip provided the time together that was so needed!

Why else would someone working as much as this begin a degree program?! But I did, and can now proudly say I can add BSN behind my name.
I recall thinking you were insane to take all that on, but couldn't believe how quickly it seemed you were able to finish!!! Congratulations again and again!

Such a cute picture! Hi, Karilynn!! :) Also, now I want to know the story!

The trip to Disney last Fall with the kids was meant to be a time of healing and re-connection after my marriage ended. It served us well to be together and I am grateful that since then each of us has found ways to reconcile and time together has been less awkward.
I am so happy for you. :hug:
As I said, the seeds of relocation were planted and I will be moving to Bowling Green, Kentucky by next Christmas. The Oregon weather has never been my friend; the gray and rainy days are depressing and while I’d rather leave politics aside, Oregon is not going the direction I’d like. Buh-bye!! My oldest “kids” have told me they are also planning to get out of Dodge and have their eyes on Texas, while my youngest is working on her TOEFL (Teaching English as a Second Language) Certificate and wants to head overseas when she’s done.
Exciting news!
The world is a messy, chaotic mess right now. It's also a beautiful oyster and there is still good in it. I may be uneasy about a lot of things, but deep down there is joy and hope. I am bolstered by some rock steady friends who help me see clearly when I start to lose my way. I hope in this new year you too have a bright outlook for things to come. Carpe diem!!!
Seize the day indeed! It's the only way forward. :)

All of your replies make my heart so very happy! I’m up at Karilynn’s house which is about a 3 Hour drive from me for the weekend so we can do some trip planning- both for Italy and Disney. But I hope to do some replies as well. The next chapter may be a few days though. I’m sorry to leave you hanging for just a little bit.

Last edited:
Hi! :wave:

I'm at work, and suspect you posted more than one photo, but... I'll see them some other time. I only see the one of you holding your diploma. (And a nice photo it is!)

Thank you! :)
And my tradition is to only minimally comment on those. But I do have a couple comments right out of the gate. ;)

I have seen you on a few now and then though, and it's WONDERFUL to have you here. This isn't technically a PTR as this portion will only have a few short chapters. Since it's so close to travel day being a last minute decision to go, there isn't time for a whole lotta writing.

Patently untrue.

Time will tell....

eye yie yie.
So you say you have "more than"... just how many eyes do you have???? I've met you and I've only noticed two.

I've been called 4-eyes millions of times.

I had to re-read that. After also reading about the surgery last December......... I eventually pieced together that you meant "last Fall" of 2019. Not last fall.

Correct.... sorry for the confusion. Been so long now!

:faint:
Oh, man. Sorry you had to go through that!

Well, that's in the past now and time to look forward.

Yes, you certainly did... but it sure wasn't easy, it sounds like! :scared:
Nothing in life worth doing is easy they say.

Oh! This is news! Big news, too!

It is!! It'll be a big change, but one I'm ready for and looking forward to. My sister has taken the lion's share of keeping Mom and Dad company for far too long. Plus... sunshine!!!! WOOT!!

Okay... so what does the "O" in TOEFL stand for then?
At first I thought Teaching Awful English Foreign Language... but that's an "A"...
So perhaps Offal English? But that's full of crap.
LOL!

It's actually the name OF the certificate/exam- Test of English as a Foreign Language. So you'd say, "I'm TOEFL Certifified."

But...

I see what you did there!(Yer fuhnee!)

:lmao:

Wonderful! Wish I could go to Disney. I'll have to wait a while longer until the border opens up. Even then, doubt I'd be able to go for a bit.

I really hope that the border opens up soon. I know most Canadians are against that, but it really is sad and such a bummer. I wish you could go to Disney too, and hope that you'll get to travel again before too long.

Okay? Share????

I will find that chapter and copy and paste... :)
Latin for "Catch some dam carp!"
As opposed to those that live further downstream?

I'm not sure I realized (or I missed it....or I can't remember!!!) that's why that trip came to be, but reading that sentence made me want to give you a giant hug!! Disney is the best therapy sometimes, isn't it? I'm glad the trip provided the time together that was so needed!

And I'd take it too. :) I was pretty quiet about all of that, but time to look forward and press on. And yes, Disney is amazing in helping folks to find common ground and a place to heal and have fun.

I recall thinking you were insane to take all that on, but couldn't believe how quickly it seemed you were able to finish!!! Congratulations again and again!

Awww, thanks, Jackie! That's super sweet of you to say. :goodvibes: It was good to get back into the swing of things academically and learn new things!

Such a cute picture! Hi, Karilynn!! :) Also, now I want to know the story!

Story in next chapter...

:wave2: I am so glad you are starting a new trip report...which means you have a trip or two planned! I hope you have an excellent time at WDW! And it will be Festival of the Arts, which should be so much fun! :artist: Have a great time!

:wave2: I am so glad you are starting a new trip report...which means you have a trip or two planned! I hope you have an excellent time at WDW! And it will be Festival of the Arts, which should be so much fun! :artist: Have a great time!
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

It's so great to have you here, Terri!! Yes, I am going with a couple of DIS Ladies in just 3 weeks and so excited! I so badly need a vacation after months and months of working so much. I am actually up at Karilynn's right now and we've been doing oodles of planning for FArts AND the other places and parks we'll go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter