The 4F Trip Report - Day 04

alan

DIS Veteran
Trip Report Index is here

The 4F Trip Report

Day 04 - 30-Jul - EPCOT

Last time we were at Disneyworld, in 2006, the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow was our favourite place. Not so much the Futureworld section, but the World Showcase. The pace can be whatever you want, you aren't forced to go from queue to queue for one ride after another, rather you can just wander round the lagoon at your own pace, taking in the countries you pass and enjoying the scenery. The Kidcot stations give the kids something to do too, so everyone really loved it and we were keen to go back.

Not only that, but today was going to be extra-special because we were going to have a royal breakfast with the Princesses!

However, after enjoying a leisurely meal last night, everyone was rather tired. The net result of that was that we were a touch late getting out of the hotel, and last minute work was needed to improve the appearance of our own Disney Princess!

We arrived on time, however, well before the park opened. The left-most turnstile had a hand-written sign inviting Character Breakfast gusts to go to it, we got checked through that and walked into EPCOT. Boy, was it deserted!

I've put loads of these in because it's just so pretty... I think that my favourite is USA through the fence, but there are lots of others that I like too! I've got more like them at home, but I couldn't get quite as many as I would have liked because everyone else was rushing to get to

Given how quiet everywhere else was, Aksershus was surprisingly busy:

But I suppose that that's no great surprise when there's a Royal Banquet on the go

We checked in, and waited for a while under this fellow's watchful gaze

until this lady invited us in.

At that point, things seemed to shift into high gear - we joined a queue to be photographed with Belle - one of my daughter with Belle and another with my wife and me with her. Cameron just wasn't interested in anything as girly as being photographed with a Princess!

Then on to the meal. It was a very good breakfast indeed, and the surroundings were magnificent - they truly looked authentic and the scale of the room and the ceilings was great. Our server, in complete contrast to Chef Mickey's, was excellent. Further, we had visits from all of the Princesses and great photo opportunities - so I don't want it to seem as if I am complaining.

And yet it still felt... rushed. A shame, that, but it wasn't too bad. It certainly didn't dent our enjoyment and we had a lovely meal.

Soon enough, the meal was over and it was time to go out. And by this time, a pretty fair wind had sprung up

(that's a shutter speed of 1/320s, and the motor was not switched on - it's the wind that's blowing these fans around!)

Trying hard not to think about the weather forecast, which was talking about exceptionally heavy rain, we decided what to do next. World Showcase hadn't opened yet, so instead we walked back towards Futureworld. On the way we saw that World Showcase was still being prepared for the day's visitors - these guys were clearing the trash from the lagoon!

I do so like these banners - they make great subject for photographs!

The gardens too were beautiful

The kids came across a man who told them all about the Kim Possible challenge - and they were hooked on the idea.

However, that would have to wait until the World Showcase opened. Uncle John wanted to get a fastpass for Test Track, so we walked there. Cameron took great delight in doing the boy thing, walking with his Uncle. Jenni, on the other hand, chose to play in the fountains.

In spite of her promises, of course, she got wet... But that wouldn't be the last soaking we'd be getting that day.

We got ourselves to Futureworld without incident, then John and I went for Fastpasses while everyone else went to the restroom. And when we all met up again, it was very clear that the weather was taking a turn for the worse. It was time to go to Innoventions... Now!

We got there as the first drops of rain were falling. And by the time I looked around, this was what I saw

The kids got a great lesson on fire safety, designed to make the parents feel guilty. Do we really need an outdoor rendezvous point in the case of fire? Our house isn't that big! Oh well, okay then...

They loved playing on the fire engine

Then we went to a presentation by the Velcro company. By this point I'm thinking that EPCOT really is stretching its "educational" remit pretty far, but the kids got to play a game on stage, so they were delighted...

All the more so when Uncle John was selected for a game too! How many diapers could he fit to dollies... which of course fastened with "Hook and Loop Fastener by the Velcro Company"

Eventually the rain went off and we went out to use our Test Track Fastpasses. Even with Fast pass, we had to wait for over half an hour because of the inclement weather. However it was a great run. Maybe a little dated now, however? Anti-lock braking systems aren't the novelty that the ride presents them as being...

While Uncle John and I were on Test Track, the rest of the party was following the kids around doing Kim Possible. And I have to say, the kids absolutely loved it. Listening to the clues on the fake mobile phone and solving the puzzles really worked well for them, but alas the weather didn't co-operate.

Uncle John and I met the others at Norway, where we were sheltering from the rain and having a coffee. The in-laws decided at that point to head back to the hotel because they were having no fun, but I took on my best "your skin is waterprrof, what's the problem" approach, and we moved on to Mexico

before the heavens absolutely opened. I mean, seriously opened. They were talking about it on the weather channel for days afterwards. I thought my camera was a goner for sure, and any thoughts of continuing the quest had to be abandoned. With our tails betwen our legs we turned and headed back to the exits, thereafter getting onto a bus and going back to the hotel.

That evening's meal was to be in Tapan Edo (sp?) in Japan. But nobody had any interest in going back out, so I called to cancel it. The kids sat watching the Disney channel on the hotel room TV, and in the evening we ate in the quick service restaurants in the hotel.

Oh well, you can't expect perfection - maybe the weather will be better tomorrow!

It's strange seeing EPCOT empty isn't it. We did the Segway tour earlier this year and went around World Showcase before it opened so all we saw was cast members watering the flowers and preparing for opening until we got to the International Gateway.

shame you didnt get to Tapan edo, great pictures again :goodvibes

sometimes you just need to chill-out and a night -in is the ticket!

have a tick against Kim possible thingie:thumbsup2

and wow that photo through the railing AND love the pic of the mexican pyramid- note to self - replicate! :lmao:

shame you were rushed at breakfast, I think the whole disney dining thing is 'in and out' sometimes more obvious than others. We loved that breakfast as well.

Such a shame about the rain....other than that is looked like a fun day.

Great pics. :thumbsup2

Don't think I've seen EPCOT that empty! It's our favourite park - seems like you had a great day despite the rain! :thumbsup2

You haven't had much luck with the weather so far. I hope that improves.

Great pics, shame about the weather, hope it improves:goodvibes

Awesome picture of Epcot. It's my favorate park at WDW and it's lovely to see it so empty first thing in the morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter