• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The 12 days of... the Disney Deluxe Dining Plan! 11/16 Update ...Complete!

mickey.gif
Day 3: Lunch at Mama Melrose

Thanks all for the encouragement and well wishes!!

This trip we definitely wanted to do Fantasmic, which our favorite restaurant to get the package from is Mama Melrose (especially if your on the regular DDP, this restaurant is only 1 TS credit and you get an appetizer included!!). Since packages are very limited, and you can only book this by phone (not available online for some reason), this is one of the priority reservations I make as soon as our window to make reservations is open (other priority restaurants include Le Cellier, CRT, 'Ohana, California Grill, etc which you can book online).

Last time we were here it took quite a while to get seated, but this time there was no wait at all (which surprisingly was a pretty common this trip, not bad for one of the busiest times of the year). Shortly after getting sat, our server brought out two glasses of champagne (elsewhere they usually checked with us first to make sure we both could have alcohol), so I got to enjoy both glasses :)

For my appetizer, I got the Tomatoes and Mozzarella, which was very fresh and delicious. I had heard reports of similar appetizers being small, but this definitely was not!

_MG_3992.jpg

My DW got the Vegetarian Minestrone (sorry, looks like we didn't snap a picture of this), which wasn't anything special.

For entrées, I got the Oven Baked Chicken alla Parmesan, which I consider the best on property. Lots of gooey cheese, nice size chicken breast, with a good sauce.

_MG_3995.jpg

The DW got the delicious looking Vine-Ripened Tomato Flatbread (with sweet basil pesto and caprino cheese), tons of cheese (which looking at the description now, she probably shouldn't have eaten) and yummy pesto ;)

IMG_3746.jpg

For dessert, I had the Mama's Tiramisu. Now, I know last time I was here I had a delicious Tiramisu, with the typical espresso soaked lady fingers, mascarpone cheese, etc. I guess I didn't read the description carefully this time, but this time it was a Tiramisu flavored gelato with large chunks of ice in it, just was not good at all.

_MG_3996.jpg

DW got the Crema Limone, light and delicious.

IMG_3748.jpg

Last time we utilized the Fantasmic package, when it came time to go to the show, you went up the normal entrance and just split off to the right and took a seat in the reserved section. This time around, they had you go around by Beauty and the Beast into the back area. I had no idea the hike from there to the reserved section, it seemed to take forever (I think it goes around the entire water area of the show). Of course, after all that eating, we could use the extra walking, it was just unexpected at the time, haha ;)

The Ratings:
Food
mickey.gif
3_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
3_Mickeys.png

Summary: Very hearty delicious meal (aside from the gelato dessert), champagne toast

Decor
mickey.gif
3.5_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
4_Mickeys.png

Summary: Very unique decor with brick walls, little lights everywhere, and complimentary music.. very Italian

Service
mickey.gif
3_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
2_Mickeys.png

Summary: Lacked personality, service was good, but very mechanical, no follow-up after food was presented

Cost
$70.27 (1 credit per person)

Overall
mickey.gif
3_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
3_Mickeys.png

Summary: Charming restaurant, with good food and atmosphere, and a great deal with the Fantasmic package

On Deck: Day 3: Dinner at Kouzzina

Great update!! I'm a big fan of chicken parm and yours looks delicious! Too bad about the Tiramisu though - the Tiramisu flavored gelato doesn't sound appetizing at all.

the chicken parm looks delicious! I can't wait to try it! thanks for the review.

We have Fantasmic Pkg booked here too. Last time we went, I had the eggplant which was not cooked to my liking (way too hard & rubbery) so I've been looking for something else and the chicken parm may have just won! looks very tasty!!

This trip we definitely wanted to do Fantasmic, which our favorite restaurant to get the package from is Mama Melrose (especially if your on the regular DDP, this restaurant is only 1 TS credit and you get an appetizer included!!).

How is there an appetizer included with DDP? :confused:

How is there an appetizer included with DDP? :confused:

When they write "DDP" it means Disney Diing plan. This person had the deluxe plan. I believe, though, with the regular dining plan, if you book Fantasmic, you get some sort of appetizer... look at the allearsnet.com site.

Appetizers are included with the Fantasmic package even on reg DDP.

minnie.gif
Day 3: Dinner at Kouzzina

When we were planning this trip we weren’t sure if we would get the DxDDP until two months before our trip, once we figured out what plan we were using we realized that we had a few extra table credits to use up. We went back to our “wish list” of places we wanted to eat and tossed around the idea of Kouzzina. We had originally hoped to have lunch here, but they aren’t open for lunch. We figured that since we were having an early “dinner” at Mama Melrose we’d have a later second dinner. The deciding factor was when we looked at the menu online; without even talking to each other we both decided that we were really looking forward to trying the lamb burger. :goodvibes

Following the 8:30 showing of Fantasmic! we followed the long path as we headed towards the exit. It was really frustrating to see the boat dock over the fence and know that we had to walk so far out of the way to get there when all I wanted to do was jump the fence. We made our way over to the Boardwalk via boat and decided to get off at the first stop (Swan/Dolphin) and walk across the bridge so we wouldn’t be too late for our 9:30 ADR. As soon as we checked in, we were promptly sat at a small table for two. It was kind of an awkward location right next to another larger table but we made it work. We never ate at Spoodles so we can’t compare the present décor to that of its predecessor, but we both liked the open kitchen and color scheme.

While looking over the menu we both noticed that the lamb burger wasn’t listed as an entrée. Our server explained that it was no longer on the menu; however, there was a mini-lamb burger that was a part of their Trio entrée. We ordered our drinks (Coke for DH, Sprite for me) and debated what we were going to eat…we weren’t all that hungry (this was our third meal of the day) and we’d both really had our hearts set on the lamb burgers. :sad2:

For his appetizer, DH ordered the Crisp Calamari and Lemon (coated in Aborio Rice Flour with Spicy Yogurt and Garlic Yogurt). He thought that the Calamari had great flavor and was a fun presentation.

_MG_4079.jpg

I ordered the Spiro's Greek Salad (with vine-ripened tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, kalamata Olives, and feta) for my appetizer. When I told her that I didn’t want the feta cheese (grr…pregnancy) she sort of made a face and told me that it was really good and she’d bring it on the side so DH could eat it. It was a nice salad, nothing too unique for a greek salad but refreshing none the less after a long day of food.

IMG_3756.jpg

For our entrée, we both ordered the Kouzzina Trio (tasting size portions of Pastitsio, Char-grilled lamb burger, and Cinnamon stewed chicken with orzo). We really wanted to try the lamb burger and while we both gave the other two items a chance and wanted to like them, we just didn’t. Pastitsio was described to us as being a “greek lasagna” we both thought it looked like baby food. And the taste wasn’t that much better. The cinnamon stewed chicken was rather tasteless. The only shining item on the plate was the lamb burger, it was really amazing. Looking back we should have asked if we could substitute the other items for more lamb burgers. Oh well, live and learn.

_MG_4080.jpg

For dessert, we both ordered the Baklava (traditional walnut and cinnamon pastry with pistachio gelato). We love baklava and were sure that Kat Cora could not mess this one up. Well, the picture speaks for itself; this baklava was anything but “traditional”. I think of baklava as being layers of flaky sweet goodness. This version was more of a “baklava log” and as a result it was kind of dry. The gelato helped with the dryness but still, the log was way too hard to eat and we were both left a little disappointed.

IMG_3759.jpg

The Ratings:
Food
mickey.gif
1.5_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
2.5_Mickeys.png

Summary: The appetizers were good, but not spectacular, the lamb burger was spectacular but we were sad that we had to suffer through two other items to enjoy a small version of the burger. And the dessert was dry.

Decor
mickey.gif
2_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
3_Mickeys.png

Summary: Open kitchen and dining room, windows overlooking the boardwalk, bathrooms are shared with the soda shop and Flying Fish.

Service
mickey.gif
4_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
3.5_Mickeys.png

Summary: Our server was very nice, energetic and personable which is always refreshing when you’re eating at the end of a long day.

Cost
$88.21 (1 credit per person)

Overall
mickey.gif
2_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
3_Mickeys.png

Summary: We really wanted to like this place, we love greek food and are fans of Cat Kora, but we were kind of disappointed. We’re not sure if we’ll go back to Kouzzina for dinner, but stay tuned… we did go back for breakfast!

On Deck: Day 4: Lunch at Le Cellier

Thanks for that Kouzzina review! Yours is not the first bad(ish) one I've read. I think I've crossed it off my list at this point.:sad2: (Though that calamari looks yummy!)

Once again, great job with the pictures!!:thumbsup2

Too bad about the two other items that came with your entree. I'm surprised that they took the lamb burger off their menu. I'm looking forward to what you thought of your breakfast there and for your review of Le Cellier. We are going there for lunch in August for the first time and I need help deciding what I'm going to order. ;)

Sorry Kouzzina wasn't so hot. I wish the menus on Allears were up-to-the minute accurate!!

mickey.gif
Day 4: Lunch at Le Cellier

Le Cellier is one of our favorite restaurants in the World, and definitely our favorite 1 credit dining plan meal. This is true so much so, that originally I had booked 3 lunches here for this trip, but decided toward the end of our planning to free one up for y'all and switch up to another World Showcase restaurant.

I want to mention that Le Cellier has consistently had THE best servers on property. I don't know if they put crack in the water up in Canada, or what, but our server is always competent, very energetic, personable, and attentive. This trip was no different with another amazing service experience. He joked with us, told us stories, recommended courses, was on top of everything!

For out appetizers, we both got the amazing Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup, along with the yummy pretzel bread (remember to tell them pretzel bread only, no one wants that other stuff)!!

IMG_3777.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

About this time, our server also brought out complimentary anniversary champagne (with the appropriate substitute for my DW), we definitely were spoiled this trip!

IMG_3780.jpg

For my main entrée, I usually get the filet (with cream cheese mash), but wanted to give another menu item a chance this time. This time I tried the New York Strip Steak (with bercy butter, balsamic red onions, watercress, and roasted Yukon potatoes). Delish!! So tender and juicy, another winner!

_MG_4101.jpg

The DW got the Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon (with wild mushroom risotto, white truffle and herb butter sauce). It was done without being too dry, even though she would always prefer a Medium steak, it was nice to be able to enjoy the filet while pregnant without risking the baby or ruining the quality of the meat.

IMG_3779.jpg

For dessert, we both got the Chocolate "Moose". I love how they have fun, delicious desserts here. They even encourage you to create a Frankenstein animal with any "Moose" remains you have left, haha :rotfl2:

_MG_4103.jpg

IMG_3788.jpg

The Ratings:
Food
mickey.gif
4_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
4_Mickeys.png

Summary: Excellent as always. Steaks are always tender and delicous (often better then steaks at the Signature restaurants). Cheese soup and pretzel sticks, need I say more?

Decor
mickey.gif
3_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
4_Mickeys.png

Summary: Small and cozy cellar setting with yellowish lighting. Surprisingly few tables while we were there.

Service
mickey.gif
4.5_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
5_Mickeys.png

Summary: Just amazing!! Entertaining, always on top of drinks and food, very personable and energetic. Made the lunch a very memorable experience.

Cost
$100.87 (1 credit per person)

Overall
mickey.gif
4.5_Mickeys.png

minnie.gif
4_Mickeys.png

Summary: Great server, great food, cozy atmosphere.. It's no wonder this place is as popular as it is. No hesitation to come back multiple times a trip!

On Deck: Day 4: Dinner at Kona Cafe

Still following your report! Love deluxe reports. :thumbsup2

While looking over the menu we both noticed that the lamb burger wasn’t listed as an entrée. Our server explained that it was no longer on the menu[/QUOTE]

Did you notice if the whole fish and the lamb shank are still on the menu? We ordered these last time and they were amazing. I'm thinking about changing one of my ressies so we can go back to Kouzzina, but not if those dishes are gone...

Loving all of your reviews. I can't wait to get to Le Cellier, our last trip we weren't able to get in, so I have Cheddar Cheese Soup on the brain !!!!:laughing:

Love the review!! Your meal looks so delicious and I love your Frankenstein animal :laughing:. I'm so excited to go to Le Cellier now!

Thanks for the Le Cellier review :goodvibes
I really want to try and get an ADR for our next trip :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter