That was utterly terrifying and I regret having joined you (comments welcome)

NYC_MW

Mouseketeer
Training started this week for the Chicago Marathon, which will segue into training for all 4 runs at MW2023. Inspired (and daunted) by the other great journals on the forum, and hoping to be kept accountable by the super-helpful community (so please, any tips, comments, advice etc is very welcome!), thought I'd take the plunge and start this. Am a lackadaisical writer, so it may devolve, but here goes nothing.

Got sucked into running in 2015 when some friends capitalized on my FOMO by saying "we're doing a half marathon in Disney World, you love Disney! registration ends today, sign up now!". Never mind that I hated running (probably because 17 years earlier my high school rugby coach bribed me into joining cross country by saying it would increase my chances of getting onto the varsity team, which of course I still didn't make 🤣) and wasn't doing any exercise. So I signed up, trained painfully, and thoroughly enjoyed the Donald Half during Marathon Weekend 2016. Then the shiny bling of the coast2coast medal pulled me back and I had a blast running the Tinkerbell half in DL 5 months later). I've now gotten 10 halfs and a full under my belt (along with various other distances), but still say I'm sad I no longer hate running 🤣. But admittedly, though I never want to go beforehand, I never regret going on a run afterwards. Along the way, joining a running-based volunteer group (plug for the non-profit Back On My Feet, which is a great organization) really helped to keep me going when I wanted to stop (that and knowing I'd turn back into a blob if I did).

So here I am. Will be attempting to cobble together a Higdon Novice 2 with a McMillan level 2 marathon plan and then combine each of their multi-race plans, and we'll see how that turns out. I also need to get back into cross training and strength training, both of which really helped when training for the NYC Marathon in 2019 but fell by the wayside during the last two years.

Plan for Week 1 (of 31!!)
Monday--3 miles easy
Tuesday--strength train
Wednesday--fartleks (15min WU; 1min fast, 1min slow [x8]; 15min CD)
Thursday--swim
Friday--3 miles easy
Saturday--6-7 miles long run
Sunday--rest

Week 1 and already failed to follow through, oops. Slept in yesterday, so ended up doing fartleks today. Let's see what happens the rest of the week.

Editing to include race recap bookmarks
Chicago Marathon 2022
WDW Marathon Weekend 2023
WDW Princess Weekend 2023
Dallas Skyline Half Marathon 2023
Providence Half Marathon 2023

Last edited:

Week 1 went a little all over the place but oh well, so it goes.
Highlight of the week was getting to cheer/watch at the 50th running of New York Road Runner's Mini 10K, celebrating and empowering women runners. Had debated running vs cheering, but it's so much more fun to get to watch (and I get to see more friends than if running). Added bonus was getting to cheer alongside a former running buddy that I hadn't seen since 2019. These women are amazing--the front of the pack racers were hitting mile 4 at less than 20 minutes!
Image from iOS (1).jpg
Image from iOS.jpg
1655134908213.png

Last edited:
Week 2, getting into the groove.

Hip tweaked during/after last Saturday's long run so tried to take it easy Monday: took the subway to BoMF instead of running in hopes that someone would want to jog. Alas, the best laid plans... At least got in a good walk in the humidity. Then switched Tues and Wed to not have too many non-run days in a row. Hip calmed down by Wed, hopefully not a sign of something worse. Yay for getting back to weights, but major boo for everything hurting for the next two days. Very happy with today's long run despite the aches. And made sure to stretch very well afterwards.
1655598092333.png

Last edited:
Week 3, sprinkled with the beauty of NY.

Sunday-Monday headed out to eastern LI with friends to explore the North Fork and Montauk (finally, after working on LI for ~8 years). Lots of fun along the beaches, gorgeous views from the Montauk Point Lighthouse, and even convinced friends to do a morning run in the outlet mall parking lot across the street from our hotel before the stores opened (not the weirdest place we've gone for a run).
3bb19864-0e2b-4abc-a8a3-9b6991fa5e8b.JPG

Knew I'd have an early day at work on Friday so moved Friday morning's run to Thursday night, and happy that the morning's weight training didn't cause too much pain. Then unexpectedly got an extra hour Friday night so moved Saturday morning's run to Friday night and managed to capture a beautiful sunset over NJ.
IMG_6744.jpg

Saturday got to tag along with friend's work sponsored outing to hike Breakneck Ridge along the Hudson Valley. Supposedly it's the hardest trail in the area, mostly because the first half mile or so is a steep rock scramble straight up, basically hugging the rock, hoping not to slide backwards (got some banged up knees in the process, even through long pants).
IMG_6761.jpg

But the reward is lovely views of the Hudson Highlands, and the back 2/3 of the trail is much more of a normal hike.
IMG_2890_resize.jpg

Definitely a good week.
1656204338534.png

Week 4, I hate burpees.
It's been informative learning about temperature and dew point from the conversations in the main forum, especially with NYC's gross summers. Danger now is letting the pace adaptations be an excuse to slow down too much?
Also got to balance out last week's nature with culture this week, exploring an immersive neuro/art exhibit and watching Shakespeare in the Park's Richard III. Very much recommend both for anyone reading this who'll be in NYC.
IMG_6859.jpg
ce9d86d0-7b59-46e2-aa7f-f239befbca31.jpg
1657243631209.png

Last edited:
Danger now is letting the pace adaptations be an excuse to slow down too much?

Depending on the goals, it's hard to slow down too much. Training too slow will not hold you back as much as training too fast will. So go as slow as you need to to match the appropriate effort level. Per Tom Schwartz's non-public data set, you can go as slow as +5 min from 5k pace (ie. 10:00 min/mile 5k pace + 5:00 min = 15 min/mile) before the benefits of the slow run will drop off. So there's a huge window.

Was going to say the same thing as @DopeyBadger . It's hard to slow down too much. You definitely run the risk of training too hard or overheating by trying to hit faster paces in the heat. I basically stop doing speed work in the summer as my HR just skyrockets with a hard effort in these temps and it's a miserable experience culminating in not hitting any of the paces anyway.

Depending on the goals, it's hard to slow down too much. Training too slow will not hold you back as much as training too fast will. So go as slow as you need to to match the appropriate effort level. Per Tom Schwartz's non-public data set, you can go as slow as +5 min from 5k pace (ie. 10:00 min/mile 5k pace + 5:00 min = 15 min/mile) before the benefits of the slow run will drop off. So there's a huge window.
Was going to say the same thing as @DopeyBadger . It's hard to slow down too much. You definitely run the risk of training too hard or overheating by trying to hit faster paces in the heat. I basically stop doing speed work in the summer as my HR just skyrockets with a hard effort in these temps and it's a miserable experience culminating in not hitting any of the paces anyway.
Thanks! Very good to know.

Week5 felt good, though even a week off of weights last week meant my body was not happy for a couple days afterwards again this week.

Inadvertently got a dry run (pun intended) for race weekend on Saturday. Went for a 9 mile run at 5:30 (was supposed to be a 12 mile run at 5:00 but Friday afternoon's drink special was maybe a little too strong). Then hustled to meet up with friends before heading out to Six Flags for the day. It's been years since I've been to a thrill ride amusement park and now I've gotten old and am probably okay with not getting to that level of excitement again for awhile (can you tell from my heart rate when we were on the rides?🤣). But it was definitely a fun day, crowds were surprisingly sparse (most rides had little to no wait), and I ended up with 45,000 steps for the day. More importantly, it was a good simulation since legs were definitely tired at end of day and on Sunday, so will have to make sure I don't over do it in the parks come January. Also learned 9 miles is too long to go without water in the summer, even early in the morning.

Image from iOS.jpg

1657907655481.png

Last edited:
Week 6. The weather was so nice midweek, decided to pick up the paces just a bit (though still keeping in mind all the advice of not training too fast).

Tried a nuun tablet (sport; strawberry lemonade) for the first time after long run, still on the fence. It's not bad, but is it really adding anything that just water wouldn't? Did remember how much I do NOT like clif bloks (although it might be because these ones have been sitting around since early 2020); need to go pick up some more honey stinger chews.

Also got to catch a glimpse of Manhattanhenge this week🤩
IMG_7003.jpg
1658009044769.png

Week 7--realizing "what did I get myself into; why did I think it was a good idea?" this week, and I'm not even a quarter of the way into training (plus another 8 weeks for Princess). Yikes! Gonna chalk it up to the weather and keep plugging away.

Sorely tempted to subway to volunteering Friday morning: combination of poor sleep, everything hurting from adding an extra set to Thursday's weight training, and T+D of >145 at 5am. But knowing I'd have to answer to this journal, got the run in, only to find nobody else showed up... Oh well, at least the run got done and had more down time before heading to work.

Saturday's long run was quite a series of unfortunate events (see next post for extended commentary), but the day ended well--started planning for Princess weekend with my friend (who's never been to Orlando) that managed to snag a Challenge registration when it reopened Friday.

Today was the NYC Tri (thought of you, @lookingforsunshine!) and, as always, so impressed by all the super athletes. I cannot ride a bike to save my life, but if anybody knows of any indoor ones, let me know!
1659112792261.png

Last edited:
The (boring and nonsensical to everybody but me) stream of consciousness play-by-play of Saturday’s long run debacle that I’ve now spent too much time Sunday in writing up. 🤦‍♀️😂

Earlier in the week: 14mile long run, okay that’s the usual Greenway route from the A at Isham to the 1 at South Ferry. Oh, but don’t want to subject other riders to my gross self afterwards, can just add the 2mi loop at Dyckman Marina, then an extra 2.5mi out and back at the end. Oh, and if I just take the 1 to 218, that adds a mile loop at the beginning, and I don’t have to take the downtown 1 just to transfer to the uptown A at Columbus Circle. Perfect.

Pre-mile 1: Oh no, I overslept! Fly out the door and jog/power walk the ½ mile to the subway station. Argh, that’s the uptown 1 just leaving. Ooh, there’s the downtown 1 just pulling in, run up the stairs and down the other and jump in right as the doors close. Great! I’ll just transfer to the A at Columbus Circle as previously planned. Oh wait, the A is only running to 168th, hmmm, maybe I’ll run along Highbride Park, add a couple miles there, this will still work. Wait, I’m on the downtown platform, back up the stairs again and down to the uptown platform. Whew. And an 8 minute wait til the A. Haven’t even started the run and I’m already dripping sweat. Ooh, there’s an uptown D, I can get off at Yankee Stadium and run across Macombs Dam Bridge before Highbridge Park. Great! Time for some Spelling Bee on the ride up.

Mile 1: Okay, let’s do this. Oh wait, I’m on the wrong side of the road, can I get across the bridge? Oh good, yes, I can. Good morning other runners! Nope, this side has to detour to the left because of cars, that’s fine, keep going. Oops, there’s no crosswalk there, turn back around again, okay, back on track. Oh wait, nooo! Now I need to go up the 155th street straight up stairwell! (Editorial note: someone named this Strava segment “155th Street Stairway to Heaven/Hell”, apparently a 78ft vertical rise in 0.09mi). I now want to lie down and there’s still 13 miles to go…

Mile 2: Uneventful, but yay for red lights!

Mile 3-4: Doo doo doo, oh cool, there’s a Highbridge Park mountain biking course. Yay, finished the Fort George loop and there’s the 191st street A stop. Wait, how am I now at 188th, where did I lose the path? No worries, let’s just turn right here and head back north. Oh no, it's Wadsworth Terrace. Yup, that’s a huge downhill then steeeep uphill. Grr, not a great start to the run. This will be great fodder for the training journal. Oh look, back to Fort George. *sigh*

Mile 5: Yay Dyckman, and there’s the elevated 1 tracks, now I know where I am. No, never mind, 202, 203, nope, turn around again, okay, at least I know now to head west. Could that be? Yes! Finally at Dyckman and Broadway, well that’s 4 miles more than I thought I’d have at this point. Let’s just skip the 2 mile Dyckman Marina loop. Oh no, more uphill ramps…

Mile 6-9: Okay, on the Greenway, should be smooth sailing from here on out. Obligate pretty pictures of the little red lighthouse and the GWB.

Mile 10: It’s so hot. I’m fading fast. Why did I think it’d be a good idea to do the 4-race challenge? Reexamining life choices. Ooh! It’s Jacq, hi Jacq!! Okay, if she can be out on such a hot day in a mask after recovering from the vid, I can finish this run.

Mile 11-13: One foot in front of the other. Well, at least now I know my legs can go on autopilot. 99 bottles of beer is stuck in my head. Thanks guy I passed around mile 10. And the strap of one of the hydration belt bottles just broke. Guess that’s why it was so bouncy earlier in the run. Okay, just make it to Pier I, no extra out and back, you can do this. Hmm, 48 bottles of beer left. Hope I didn’t hallucinate some away. That was one ugly long run. Just gonna count the ½ mile run to the subway this morning and this ½ mile cooldown walk as part of the training and call it a day.
IMG_7136.jpg

Tried a nuun tablet (sport; strawberry lemonade) for the first time after long run, still on the fence. It's not bad, but is it really adding anything that just water wouldn't?
Electrolytes. Until this summer I have been a water only hydration person since so many of the hydration products I found had a ton of sugar in them. Great for during a run but not really needed afterwards. This summer with more miles outside in extreme conditions, I added in nuun tablets after my runs. Honestly, game changer. I am a sweaty runner and I really underestimated how dehydrated I was. Just 1 in my water after my run has helped me recovery faster and feel better later in the day. Maybe nuun isn’t the right product for you or you need to find a flavor you like, but there are potential benefits for replenishing electrolytes to be gained from some of these products. Especially if you are sweaty and dealing with hot conditions.

Electrolytes. Until this summer I have been a water only hydration person since so many of the hydration products I found had a ton of sugar in them. Great for during a run but not really needed afterwards. This summer with more miles outside in extreme conditions, I added in nuun tablets after my runs. Honestly, game changer. I am a sweaty runner and I really underestimated how dehydrated I was. Just 1 in my water after my run has helped me recovery faster and feel better later in the day. Maybe nuun isn’t the right product for you or you need to find a flavor you like, but there are potential benefits for replenishing electrolytes to be gained from some of these products. Especially if you are sweaty and dealing with hot conditions.
YES. I started using Nuun and the also added liquid IV into the mix (it's got a ton more sodium) going into MW. I would drink a liquid IV in the evening before I went to bed, and I had a bottle with nuun when I got back to the room after the race. (And I did a bottle of tailwind in the morning while sitting in the corral.) As far as a flavor preference, I like to put 2 tablets into my big water bottle because if I'm going to flavor my water, I want it to actually have FLAVOR. I prefer the Triple Berry to the strawberry lemonade (which I feel like has a really mild flavor.)

I'm not a super sweater, but I DID discover during my full in October (and then also during the full during MW) that if I run for long enough and sweat for long enough that the salt from said sweat builds up on my skin like sand. IDK if that means I'm a super-salty-sweater, or if that's a normal thing.

@DopeyBadger posted a really helpful article about hydration/electrolytes/salt in December last year that was a good read, and what pushed me into adding Liquid IV into my bag of tools.

YES. I started using Nuun and the also added liquid IV into the mix (it's got a ton more sodium) going into MW. I would drink a liquid IV in the evening before I went to bed, and I had a bottle with nuun when I got back to the room after the race. (And I did a bottle of tailwind in the morning while sitting in the corral.) As far as a flavor preference, I like to put 2 tablets into my big water bottle because if I'm going to flavor my water, I want it to actually have FLAVOR. I prefer the Triple Berry to the strawberry lemonade (which I feel like has a really mild flavor.)

I'm not a super sweater, but I DID discover during my full in October (and then also during the full during MW) that if I run for long enough and sweat for long enough that the salt from said sweat builds up on my skin like sand. IDK if that means I'm a super-salty-sweater, or if that's a normal thing.

@DopeyBadger posted a really helpful article about hydration/electrolytes/salt in December last year that was a good read, and what pushed me into adding Liquid IV into my bag of tools.

Thanks for the advice! I am also a sweaty runner and often find that white residue on my skin after runs (sorry if that's TMI). Have the rest of the tube of nuun anyways, so will definitely be adding that to water post long or super hot runs and take detailed notes on how it feels. Will also look into liquid IV and tailwind and read through the suggested article. I'm never very good about nutrition/hydration in general, almost all my runs are fasted (will start doing chews for runs longer than 10mi but I think less than the recommended dosage) and don't really carry water until double digit mileage or super hot/humid days. Maybe this will be the push to get my running to the next level.

I know in my head weather makes a difference (which is why I've been following you all's examples and tracking T+D), but being a scientist by training, real data is always more fun.
Ran essentially the same route last Wed and this Wed (2 loops around the Jackie O reservoir, with however the red lights directed me to get there and back, aiming for 2 miles WU, 3 miles steady state, 2 miles CD).
Fitbit says HR was essentially the same as well, but boy did those paces change (and it felt sooo much better) this week.
Top is last week (T81/D64); bottom is this week (T72/59).

wed workout.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter