that was painless! (making PS)

bumbershoot

DIS Veteran
I'm one month and one week out from our trip, and finally got the backbone to call for the PSs I wanted to make. I'm a bit shy, and it's really bad on the phone, and when there is concern that I've left things too long, well, it turns into 40 days out instead of 60, because I've worried those 20 days away. :)

After a bit of a wait on hold, I got our Lilo character b'fast reserved, and an 11:30 Blue Bayou seating arranged. Yay! It was so easy!

Now we just have to hope that DS likes the characters on Monday and Tuesday, for our Wednesday b'fast, and that he enjoys POTC enough to want to eat there on Thursday! Of course, I think we'll just do a dessert there (or maybe deal with the $4 fee to split a plate for their portabello dish), and what 3 year old could pass up pirates AND cookie boats? :upsidedow

lol I'm shy on the phone as well so I know what you mean, I always make dh make ressies and then I bug him to tell me the whole conversation word for word and then he says next time I'm calling, but I never do lol.

Anyways, glad it went well for you I hope you enjoy your meals.

Heya Bumb,

It's so weird, I'm not shy at all, but in this day and age of internet I soooo would rather deal with customer service via the internet. Something about having it in writing and via computer gives me a better sense that's it isn't going to get screwed up. It would be nice if you could do the PSs online. Maybe someday.

I have a feeling most of us wouldn't give each other the time of day in person...our various personalities and quirks just don't show up as much online. So, from that standpoint, it's great that a "fan club" like this can exist where we all have a common goal, learning about and making the most of our trip.

Congrats! Good thing your 11:30 ressie at BB didn't go by the wayside waiting!! As is being discussed in another post, the 11:30 reservation is key to getting a waterside table.

Get up your nerve, girl! Don't let the good stuff pass you by. Shyness is a state of mind, get over yourself and have a blast!! :goodvibes

I get like that sometimes too. Especially when needing to call companies about a problem. I can let that phone call sit for days. I'm glad you got the PS's you wanted. What were the times that they offer L&S? We want to do that one too. You'll have to let us know how you like it.

Eh, I've fought the shy thing for years. Now I'm embracing it. Nothing wrong with being less than comfy with others, and when I'm open about it, when I refuse to be MORE embarrassed by my face flushing, voice shaking, etc, then I feel better.

And yeah, cyberspace results in conversations with people you'd never talk to. I actually just lost a big group of friends that I met online, b/c I wanted to move into mainly IRL (for locals) or email friendships, while they still wanted the bulk of it to be in "public" on our online journals. I needed time off from journaling, and no one wanted to let me go "away", and now they are gone. :( But, like you alluded to, those online friendships probably wouldn't have even started, if we were all in a room together talking, instead of online.

That was actually the last straw in my recent acceptance of my own personality. I had tried for years to be more outgoing, but when the fake me finally started breaking down, I realized they didn't like the real me enough to deal with my quirks...and then I realized that my forever, real-life, friends were all still there for me. :)

But anyway, each time I've called Disney people, whether it's my three phone calls to the Anaheim disney travel people I am connected to when I call the Costco disney package number, or the dining people, they have been nothing but nice. Easy for even a shy person. :)

Just had to say I am the exact same! Thats why I research everything beyond what is normal so that when/if I do have to make a call I'm more than prepared.....anyway, so good there are these forumns where I can ask all of my questions!

Just had to say I am the exact same! Thats why I research everything beyond what is normal so that when/if I do have to make a call I'm more than prepared.....anyway, so good there are these forumns where I can ask all of my questions!

Do you have a notebook, too? And when I say "notebook" I mean several notebooks for mere notes, and then a binder with section dividers and page protectors etc, so that all your thoughts are as organized as possible, for when you finally *have to* call.

I was *this* close to getting a Trapper Keeper, when I found out they still existed, but it turns out they were WAY cooler back in the '80s than they are today! :upsidedow

That's too funny! I suffer from phone fear too. Even worse than talking to a live person is having to leave a message on an answer machine! It's like my brain and mouth are out of sinc and I end up getting all tongue tied! What is that!? I try to tell myself there is really nothing anyone can do to me over a phone but ALAS, the problem persists!

You are right. Everyone I have ever spoken to at Disneyland on the phone have always been sooooo nice. I just finished making all my PS arrangements, booked Fantasmic and the Discovery Tour. Everything went as planned so now we are all set! Yippee!!!

I am sure DS will love the characters almost as much as MOM. At 3 he will probably be okay on POTC. My DD is 7 now. At that age she was just fine but now is another story. She thinks the mist curtain with Davy Jones and the "drops" are scary! The only way to get her on it is bribe her with a souvineer. I am hoping she may be a bit braver this year. (Last year she decided she liked HM, which I would think, would be just as scary.) Even though she is scared of the ride she has never had a problem dining at BB.

Next Peterson Disneyland Family Vacation September 3, 2007! Yippee!

First, let me say Howdy Neighbor!! Im in Lakewood!!:cool1: Anyhow, I dont even like ordering Pizza!! The day i realized you could order online was heaven to me!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I find i will actually avoid things unless I can pay online!:lmao: :lmao:

"I find i will actually avoid things unless I can pay online!"

Oh man, Sunshine Rewards and MyPoints have made that even bigger for me. I actually went to Target and REI the other day, to find out sizes, so I could order from Target online through SR, and REI through MyPoints so I could get rewards for those purchases (this only works if shipping is free or I'm picking up the REI in-store, otherwise the % reward is canceled out by the shipping cost).

"I am sure DS will love the characters almost as much as MOM."

That was one of the issues...I HATED the characters as a kid. They freaked me right out! In fact in the two times we've been there since I've been an adult, I have my character-blinders on so much I couldn't tell you if we saw one other than Cinderella. (speaking of Cinderella, my mom took me to see the movie when I was little, and I flipped out SO much in the theater she had to take me home...the stepsisters and stepmother were so incredibly mean and I couldn't deal with it anymore!) Eamon is quite different than I am, but I still try to go carefully into new situations, so I can be sure we're doing things the right, don't get scared, way.

"I find i will actually avoid things unless I can pay online!"

Oh man, Sunshine Rewards and MyPoints have made that even bigger for me. I actually went to Target and REI the other day, to find out sizes, so I could order from Target online through SR, and REI through MyPoints so I could get rewards for those purchases (this only works if shipping is free or I'm picking up the REI in-store, otherwise the % reward is canceled out by the shipping cost).

"I am sure DS will love the characters almost as much as MOM."

That was one of the issues...I HATED the characters as a kid. They freaked me right out! In fact in the two times we've been there since I've been an adult, I have my character-blinders on so much I couldn't tell you if we saw one other than Cinderella. (speaking of Cinderella, my mom took me to see the movie when I was little, and I flipped out SO much in the theater she had to take me home...the stepsisters and stepmother were so incredibly mean and I couldn't deal with it anymore!) Eamon is quite different than I am, but I still try to go carefully into new situations, so I can be sure we're doing things the right, don't get scared, way.

I love sunshine and my points!:lmao: I just figured out how to really work sunshine, so i am steadily building our trip spending money!

Just about :rotfl2: !!! Just put together my binder with protectors and dividers yesterday. Did have everything paperclipped in their categories but that was becomming a bit of a mess because there's just too much on this trip to organise! I won't even start yet on how horrible I am at packing, trying to be prepared for everything and anything!

My DD (who is 3.8 yrs) is usually pretty scared of things and pretty emotionally sensitive I would guess. We took her to the Wiggles and although she liked them she wasn't bouncing around like other kids and she freaked out over this giant Murray blowup on stage. We've been to a few fairs and she always refuses to go on any rides so why are we doing Disneyland you may ask? :confused3....mainly because we are coming from overseas for a conference and to visit my family back home and well, ya just can't NOT go can ya????? .....she LOVES the idea of going and can't wait to see Mickey etc but I'm still wondering how it will go....I'm hoping by some miracle she will be more confident when we go which isn't for another 7 months but if anyone has any tips on how to gently ease her into it I'd love to hear them because I'm really hoping to do at least one character meal and go on at least It's A Small World or the tea cups or dumbo....oh gosh the childhood memmories are hitting me now!!!!

You never really know how the kids are going to react until you're there. :)

I worried the whole pre-trip months about my DS2. We watched Disney videos so he and his brother (DS6) would be familiar with the characters and their stories. They even loved the Disney Planning DVD! :lmao:
I thought that one was good for getting them used to the idea that these characters would be bigger than them.

Anyway, so we get to the DLH and are walking past the pool area when DS2 begins to kick and squirm to be let down. I spotted Goofy and told DH to put DS2 down now! Sure enough, as soon as his feet hit the ground he made a beeline for Goofy, who saw him comin' and got down on one knee and held his arms out. :love:

We hadn't even made it to the park yet! I was so excited! Jessie was our first "in park" character, and DH and DS2 walked up armed with their autograph pen and paper. DS6 hung back, so I pushed him to go up, but he flat out refused. I asked why, and he tried to play it off as disinterest, but it was actually shyness. Awwwww, he's his mama's boy after all. ;)

It took some coaxing (and leveraging a little sibling rivalry), but finally got him to approach the characters, and the autograph process really helped him, I think. :thumbsup2

ETA: Oh, gee, I really need to make those PSes...

Have you guys shown your kids videos of the rides? A few months back there was a video on disneyland's website itself that showed Matterhorn...but there are tons of videos, I hear, on youtube. That way you can give the kid's the perspective of the rides, what they will see and experience (the Yeti the Yeti the Yeti) beforehand. Just looking at the pictures of things on Disneyland's site has Eamon excited about things (and he remembers rides from last year, though last year he wasn't tall enough for the Matterhorn AND it was closed when we went), and I hope that he'll remember that it's shaky/jerky, and he'll remember the Yeti and not get too worried by it. :)

Can you tell the Yeti has me worried?

With the characters, well it's a fine line for us anyway, b/c we don't pretend that the characters are "real". We don't do the Santa thing as real, either, it's just a little myth (that we don't ruin for other children). But I've talked extensively about how tall they are, and how big they are, but that they love to talk to kids, etc etc etc.

Have you guys shown your kids videos of the rides? A few months back there was a video on disneyland's website itself that showed Matterhorn...but there are tons of videos, I hear, on youtube. That way you can give the kid's the perspective of the rides, what they will see and experience (the Yeti the Yeti the Yeti) beforehand. Just looking at the pictures of things on Disneyland's site has Eamon excited about things (and he remembers rides from last year, though last year he wasn't tall enough for the Matterhorn AND it was closed when we went), and I hope that he'll remember that it's shaky/jerky, and he'll remember the Yeti and not get too worried by it. :)

Can you tell the Yeti has me worried?

With the characters, well it's a fine line for us anyway, b/c we don't pretend that the characters are "real". We don't do the Santa thing as real, either, it's just a little myth (that we don't ruin for other children). But I've talked extensively about how tall they are, and how big they are, but that they love to talk to kids, etc etc etc.
I didn't show my kids videos from the rides. I had never been on any of them before, either, so I wanted it to be a surprise (and hopefully a pleasant one...)

DS(2 at the time) loved everything, including Pirates. Of course he was too little to go on Indy and Splash, but I have no doubt he'll love those when the time (and height) comes. We didn't do Matterhorn, either, but I think it may have been closed when we were there as well. I remember a funny story where someone told their nervous little girl that the Yeti was a gentle giant (like the one in Rudolph), and after that she was no longer afraid, she'd even blow him kisses as she passed by. :rotfl:

I did tell my worried DS6 that the characters were people in costume playing a character for fun, just like at Halloween. I made him promise not to say anything to his little brother or to any other child, and he never did, it just helped him be less nervous about meeting them.

Do any of you who don't like being on the phone stay at the Resort? If so, you can email with Vacation Planning - then you won't have to do the phone at all.

Just remember, it's Disney, there's not an easier phone call to make!

Thanks for the tips!! Will definitely have a check on youtube....I didn't even know they make a Disney planning dvd.....where do you get that? DD actually gets really excited just watching me on these boards when she sees all the little photos and snippets of characters!

ShawnaF, alas, I'm not one who will be at Disney hotel....was thinking about paying the extra extra extra $$$ to do the DH but then read the rooms don't have a coffee/tea maker. If I don't have my cup of tea first thing in the morning I'll go insane so I'm still driving myself crazy debating between 2 offsite hotels....am right now procrastinating phoning them by being on here.....so silly I know!!!

Order the Vacation Planning DVD on disneyland.com website - you'll get it in the mail very quickly.

FYI though, I'm a Starbucks junkie (and I do mean junkie) - I have to get coffee or I get headaches. The Paradise Pier DOES have coffee makers - and packets of coffee, can't remember whether the DLH did or not, but I'm thinking they did have them in the bathroom there - big counter.

Regardless, you should know to NOT get coffee at the place on the DLH resort property beside Goofy's. Very very bitter. Go to the place in DTD by Starabilla's - best coffee I've had at the resort (not Starbucks quality but good), the next best is at the Blue Ribbon Bakery inside DL. Lines get really huge there though - as you get closer to closing.

Thanks for the tips!! Will definitely have a check on youtube....I didn't even know they make a Disney planning dvd.....where do you get that? DD actually gets really excited just watching me on these boards when she sees all the little photos and snippets of characters!

ShawnaF, alas, I'm not one who will be at Disney hotel....was thinking about paying the extra extra extra $$$ to do the DH but then read the rooms don't have a coffee/tea maker. If I don't have my cup of tea first thing in the morning I'll go insane so I'm still driving myself crazy debating between 2 offsite hotels....am right now procrastinating phoning them by being on here.....so silly I know!!!
The DLH does have coffeemakers, you just need to request one. They will bring it up right away. :)

By the way, the coffee that comes with it is terrible! I'm a Starbucks junkie but DH can drink anything, and even he couldn't drink it. He bought a refillable mug from the DLH coffee shop (the one next to Goofy's Kitchen.) I think it was $6 or $7, with free refills for the remainder of our stay. I had an occasional mocha from there, or from the La Brea Bakery in DTD. Neither tasted as good as Starbucks, but did in a pinch. ;)

daffidyll, what two offsite hotels are you thinking about?

Today we went to a PACKED zoo (we belong to the zoo and normally go on weekdays, but today was a special event AND the hubby had to work from home, so got outta the house to give him peace), and were very surprised to find they had characters! DS loved loved loved them. So yay, one thing marked off the Worry List. :) Now we just have to work on him looking at the camera, so we don't end up with tons of pix of his back and the character's front. :)

About the Yeti...luckily DS likes the Backyardigans, so he seems to think of Yetis as being Pablo. :) I bet he'll ask about "yeti droppings" while on the Matterhorn (for those who don't know the show or that episode, those are raisins, b/c yetis like raisins but are always dropping things, ha ha).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter