• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thanks to the Marathon Volunteers!!

PCFriar80

DIS Veteran
As I was doing my 5 miles on the icy roads and 20 degrees here in CT (had to get the running plug in), I was thinking about the nice job all of the volunteers and race supporters did! From the packet checkin, to the corral and race course monitoring, and the post race activities (chip removal, mylars, medals, and refreshments). Thanks for getting up early with us and braving the early morning chill on both race days! :cold: Your support and enthusiasm were greatly appreciated!! :thewave: See you next year!!

Here, here!!!

Big thanks to the volunteers!

Amen!!! Big kudos to the volunteers. Everyone was so nice and helpful. You really made the weekend fun!!

Yes, BRAVO to one and all! :worship:

I make it a point at every race I eer run tothank every volunteer I come in contact with. In fact, I have actually done the volunteer thing at a couple of local races for the perspective - they work hard for us runners.

This was my first event and i was amazed at how many people volunteered to help with the event.
Planning on volunteering at my local events now that i know about it.

The Volunteers/Supporters ROCK! :) Their smiling faces are such blessings.

I especially liked the person who handed me that banana after the MK and that person who gave me a WHOLE banana in the tent after the finish and I haven't forgotten about that wonderful person offering up the banana muffin :goodvibes

But that person who gave me the Cola flavored gel? What did I ever do to you? :scared: J/K I like you too even if it made me gag, I'll stick my old faithful vanilla ;)

Thanks to all those that helped and smiled and froze! I hope you all had thermos of cocoa :goodvibes

:worship: for the volunteers. Thanks to everyone for being out there in that cold. And I think it's really neat that all the throwaway clothes get donated, but my goodness...clothes were everywhere! Thanks for picking them up, cleaning them and sending them onto those who need them.

I was one of the Bike Medics this year. It was really a ton of fun, but gel-packs are :faint: . I don't know how people suck those things down!!!

It was really cool to be biking aroung the MK at 5 a.m. in the freezing cold with N-O-B-O-D-Y around. I FINALLY had Disney World to myself!!

My partner and I rode from the start to the MK on the monorail, and nobody batted an eyelash when we pedaled onto it.

Having the "ACCESS TO ALL AREAS" credential was kinda' neat, especially when I was warming my hands on a steam vent from the MK Locomotive prior to the Marathon start.

All you guys that ran are an inspiration & my heroes!! MAYBE there is a 1/2 Marathon in my future if the palntar faciatis will go away................

P.S. - To Kimberlee & Jennifer: Sorry I pulled you off of the races, but it REALLY was the right thing to do. You guys were both kinda' ill.

P.P.S. - To those that ran the 1/2, if you saw a bike medic take a dive off a bike in front of the CR, that was me. I'm glad I provided some comic relief.

Hmmmmm.... Maybe you shouldn't have posted Jim. Now I don't want to run, I want to be a bike volunteer! ;) Seriously, though, you had to get up awfully early and had to be awfully cold that early in the am!

JimB. said:
P.P.S. - To those that ran the 1/2, if you saw a bike medic take a dive off a bike in front of the CR, that was me. I'm glad I provided some comic relief.

:-o I hope you weren't bruised and scrapped up! Yikes! Was it on the hill or did you make it to a grassy area at least?

Try vanilla gel, not as sweet and just kinda there so not overpowering :) Not that I'd pass up a Kitchen Sink for a gel pack I DO have my priorities ;)

Way kewl about your quiet ride thru the park. So the train was in place on purpose? I had this fear upon seeing it that they were trying to close off the course LOL I was pretty much afraid of the sweepers until after I hit Epcot :)

They had sooooo many neat things for us to see, very very nice distractions :)

There was a security guard at some point outside the GF for the Half, I believe he was just past the Wedding Crew and he spotted someone with a Minnie outfit or hat and sang "Hey Minnie" that was great, gave me a smile and a distraction. Think he had another little ditty about the distance but I can't recall it and wish I could, it was really cute.

Were you able to wear something to make yourself stand out so if you do it again next year we're able to spot you? Were you assigned to one area that you circled around? Did you get cocoa??? (do you know I have never had as much cocoa in FL as I did on this trip!)

Thanks for riding for us!!!! Hope to see you next January!!!!

Diane -

I took a dive on the road coming up out from under the water. Almost was at the top. Our bikes were loaded with about 35-40 pounds on medical gear on saddlebags over the rear tire. That throws the center of mass way off. My rear tire hit an little raised "bump" on the pavement and my tire kicked out.

Comic relief and a good laugh was had by all (ok, well maybe not by me, but that's ok). No damage either to the bike or myself. My pride however..................... :confused3 .

All of the medical guys and gals wear the same jacket that the other volunteers wear, but ours are red, not blue. We also get really cool embroidered Izod polo's to wear if the jackets come off.

We are assigned areas to hang out around until all the runners pass, then we just kinda' keep up with the field and help out where needed. I was in front of the CR for the 1/2 & inside the MK for the full. We were hanging out on Main Street on the side that was closed to the general public when the early runners came through & then migrated through the park over to the course exit as the main field came on.

No Cocoa. Just carried a bottle of Powerade with me & got refills from the water stops or the sweeper vans.

I want to thank all the volunteers, too. There was one gentleman at Corral F who had a physical confrontation with someone trying to sneak into the Corral. I felt really bad that he had that run-in. I am sorry for all the volunteers I ignored who were handing out water or gel or powerade that I couldn't use. Believe me, it wasn't you! I really appreciate all the smiles and the costumes that so many volunteers wore.

And let us not forget the Gospel Choir singing "Oh Beautiful" at the end of the 1/2. OR the high school marching band. Or the cheerleaders. Or the drumline that kept that awesome cadence! You were all a part of the overall experience and it would not have been the same without you! Thank you!!! :cloud9:

Here Here!!

You folks were amazing! Whoever coordinates all those volunteers sure does a fantastic job as well. Thanks for the encouragement, not to mention all the water and Powerade.

To the Cliff Shot people- Thanks, but I brought my own. (And from the Cliff Shot horror stories, that's a good thing ;) )

To the chocolate people at the entrance to MGM- Thanks all the same, but when I am tired, gross, hot and sweaty, I am not in the mood for Hershey's Kisses.

Kevin :earsboy:

Jim,

Major bummer about the tire hitting the bump. I sure wasnt thinking about the extra weight you'd have with your med packs. Very glad you came thru it ok and Im 200% positive that those who saw your flight totally felt for you. But what a nasty place to take a fall. I swear I'm still having dreams or nightmares of that spot LOL Thanks for the insight into your day(s) its very kewl to hear what all goes on to make it possible.

As the other poster remarked, the bands, cheerleaders and all are amazing. I cant believe how many were out there to cheer and to offer the wonderful distraction of the pirates, the bands, characters, bikers.

From start to finish everyone making the weekend possible are totally first class!

By the way, Jim your gonna need a big name tag for next year so we can all run by you and yell your name :teeth: Thanks for being there :goodvibes

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Each and every person who was there truly made it a "Magical Day" and one that is truly appreciated.

My first half experience last year gave me the desire to participate as a volunteer in the tri here in our area. Your volunteerism is truly catchy.

It is such fun to have people who don't know you offering encouragement; the young, the older, the smiles offered, the costumes...the experience was the best because of everyone.

Thanks for being there for me. Thanks for being there.

I'm late in jumping into this thread...

Thank you sooooo much, Volunteers! You guys were awsome. I can't imagine all the work you put into this to make it so great for us. I truly appreciate you hard work and dedication. You made us feel like heros!

Sunny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter