Thank You, Pete

tydna

A Disney-loving Geek
Pete,

I just wanted to thank you for sharing an intelligent, educated, and well-balanced opinion on the 2nd Amendment.

While I'm still not sure where I stand on this issue, I loved how you presented your stance.

Thanks for the great job you and the rest of the team do.

I agree with the OP, Pete.

Well thought out and well articulated. I also agree 100%, if Disney has to allow workers to bring guns it will only be a matter of time before there is an incident.

I shudder to think how many people have them in their cars already, with or without the permit.

I know this is a charged issue but I think some points have been missed... the Florida law allows competent licensed firearms owners to have their firearm locked in the trunk of their car or in a suitable locking case in their car without fear of retribution from their employer. When competent licensed owners transport their firearms, they are to be unloaded and preferably locked in a trunk or suitable locking case... 'cause that's the law.

this is not a situation where they passed a law making it legal to carry a loaded firearm in your lap while driving... further what is stopping any nut case with a grudge from already having an illegal firearm in their car and going nuts and shooting people? what is stopping any nut case having a bad day and going into road rage from pulling out a pistol and firing out the window? the fact that it isn't happening now does not mean that it will start happening because competent licensed owners following the law have their firearms locked in the trunk or a suitable locking case.

This law does NOT allow employees to carry a concealed weapon into the work place with out their employers permission, but would allow competent firearms owners to have lock them in their trunk or a suitable locking case in their car, where no one would see it, or know about it.

The guy in question is taking a stand for what he believes are his rights. The law in question might be faulty. The Disney Loop Hole might stand up to scrutiny. His action, starts the ball rolling for the courts to decided if the lawmakers got it right or not. It might not be the best system, but it is the one we have.

This news story was primarily local to the Dallas area, but some of your listeners probably recognize it if they live here. Today's discussion was timely considering this story that happened last week here. Very scary stuff:

Dallas Random Red Light Shootings

I know this is a charged issue but I think some points have been missed... the Florida law allows competent licensed firearms owners to have their firearm locked in the trunk of their car or in a suitable locking case in their car without fear of retribution from their employer. When competent licensed owners transport their firearms, they are to be unloaded and preferably locked in a trunk or suitable locking case... 'cause that's the law.
No, wildeoscar, the law allows ALL licensed firearms owners to have their firearms...not just the competent ones. The law actually implies that to be licensed, a person is competent. I'm not at all sure that the licensing of owners can speak to the competence of the people they're licensing.

It truly does set itself up for major debate.

I have very strong feelings about this issue, but for once I am gonna keep my pie hole shut and enjoy the show!

popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

Before I start blabbing...does this new law apply to only concelled weapon holders or to all firearm owners?

I just have to chime in and say the people wanting to carry a handgun and shoot someone are going to do it weather the law says they can carry the gun or not.

Before I start blabbing...does this new law apply to only concelled weapon holders or to all firearm owners?

it is concealed carry permit holders... which is not exactly a walk in the park to get. Several articles I have read make concealed carry holders look like paranoid nut jobs... but they serve a purpose. I used to make night deposits, if I am carrying a giant bag of money to the night deposit slot... I think I wanna be able to defend myself.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/apply.html

you have to show proficiency and training, complete back ground check, get finger printed...

*in re reading... it might mean any gun owner, not just concealed carry holders. news articles are mixed on that point.

*in re reading... it might mean any gun owner, not just concealed carry holders. news articles are mixed on that point.

And if it is the case that it is "any gun owner" Rex, do you still feel the same?

I'm not baiting you, I'm honestly curious if you feel any differently if the law is just not for those with concealed carry permits.

it is concealed carry permit holders... which is not exactly a walk in the park to get. Several articles I have read make concealed carry holders look like paranoid nut jobs... but they serve a purpose. I used to make night deposits, if I am carrying a giant bag of money to the night deposit slot... I think I wanna be able to defend myself.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/apply.html

you have to show proficiency and training, complete back ground check, get finger printed...

Nowhere does the license require mental competence...just an explanation of court charges.

I'm all for people being able to defend their life and property, and can see where if someone is carrying large sums of money around at night that they may need to be armed, but to drive to work? To leave the gun unattended in a vehicle while you work? For what purpose? If it's just to shout out, "I have my rights!"...sorry, not good enough.

Let's leave the guns out of it totally. Personally, I don't understand why it isn't the right of the property owner to decide what is and is not allowed on their property.

Freedom of speech is a right, but you can't stage a protest on the property of whatever it is you are protesting...the property owner has the right to throw protesters off the property they own, regardless of free speech laws, how is this different? :confused3

the Florida law allows competent licensed firearms owners to have their firearm locked in the trunk of their car or in a suitable locking case in their car

When competent licensed owners transport their firearms, they are to be unloaded and preferably locked in a trunk or suitable locking case... 'cause that's the law.

this is not a situation where they passed a law making it legal to carry a loaded firearm in your lap while driving

because competent licensed owners following the law have their firearms locked in the trunk or a suitable locking case.

First...if what saying is true.....then how would this protect you when you are carrying a bag of money? If you gun is unloaded and locked in a box in the trunk it's not offering any protection.

but would allow competent firearms owners to have lock them in their trunk or a suitable locking case in their car, where no one would see it, or know about it.

The guy in question is taking a stand for what he believes are his rights. It might not be the best system, but it is the one we have.

Second...this is not what this person did. This employee notified everyone that he was bringing his gun to work. Had he kept it locked in a box in his trunk, "where no one would see it, or know about it", this would not be a topic of discussion and the Orange County police would not have been waiting for him to arrive.

This is going to be a "hot button" issue until the first incident where an employee goes to their vehicle, gets their gun, and starts blowing people away.

I would hope this doesnt happen at Disney, but I also hope it doesnt happen at Walmart or Target or Costco....or anywhere else.

Let's leave the guns out of it totally. Personally, I don't understand why it isn't the right of the property owner to decide what is and is not allowed on their property.

Freedom of speech is a right, but you can't stage a protest on the property of whatever it is you are protesting...the property owner has the right to throw protesters off the property they own, regardless of free speech laws, how is this different? :confused3

Couldn't agree more!!!! This is coming from someone who believes very strongly in the right to keep and bear arms. It's private property. They should have the right to ban guns as they see fit.

This is going to be a "hot button" issue until the first incident where an employee goes to their vehicle, gets their gun, and starts blowing people away.
OR, until WO's perfectly legal lock-box gun carrying 2nd amendment right protector gets his car broken into while it is parked/unoccupied and the darned gun with its locked box and all gets stolen. And wouldn't you know it, the theives have figured out how to open the darn case. Uh oh, they are heading back into the store to confront the cashier who ticked them off! Guess that 2nd amendment right bumper sticker tipped the thief off there might be a gun locked in the car (shhh!) - shame the thief doesn't have to be competent. Oh well. Guess we'll be seeing that story on the news. Oh, and once this actually does happen, because y'all know it will soon enough...can I get a shout out on the podcast for being able to see it coming?
Cruz - I also have strong feelings on this matter but I just can't seem to get my big mouth to stay shut, darn it all.

The problem here is FL has actually made a LAW that said it is perfectly legal to carry a concealed weapon in your vehicle so long as it is in a locked case -- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1877396 -- the difference is you can stage a protest but it is NOT legal to stage it on the property of whom you are protesting (trespassing). The legal loophole Disney has is being strongly and brazenly questioned by one stupid employee. oh, did I say stupid? sorry 'bout that. It appears I have a very strong opinion and a very big mouth. tsk tsk.

OR, until WO's perfectly legal lock-box gun carrying 2nd amendment right protector gets his car broken into while it is parked/unoccupied and the darned gun with its locked box and all gets stolen. And wouldn't you know it, the theives have figured out how to open the darn case. Uh oh, they are heading back into the store to confront the cashier who ticked them off! Guess that 2nd amendment right bumper sticker tipped the thief off there might be a gun locked in the car (shhh!) - shame the thief doesn't have to be competent. Oh well. Guess we'll be seeing that story on the news. Oh, and once this actually does happen, because y'all know it will soon enough...can I get a shout out on the podcast for being able to see it coming?
Cruz - I also have strong feelings on this matter but I just can't seem to get my big mouth to stay shut, darn it all.

Like you, I have strong opinion and a big mouth. I really promise this is the last time I'm chiming in on this issue (until I can't stand it anymore).

This argument is, to me, bogus. Yes, the car may be stolen or broken into, giving the thief access to the gun, which may then be used in the commission of a crime. Using that logic, automobiles should be banned, because someone might steal one and use it in the commission of a crime. How far do we extend that argument? Should we ban televisions because a criminal may break into a house, steal one, sell it, and use the money to purchase a gun on the black market, and then use that gun in the commission of a crime?

Ya, sounds like that real feasible. How about said crook just brings his own gun...sure is a lot easer. Maybe he will break into your car and grab you knitting needles and poke someone eyes out. Then we have to outlaw knitting needles. Keep making laws to stop criminals that should work, oh wait, criminals don't care about the laws. Instead we will take away all civil liberties from law abiding people in the name of criminals. I think thats how Hitler started his new political party.

I would hope this doesnt happen at Disney, but I also hope it doesnt happen at Walmart or Target or Costco....or anywhere else.

Kevin,

Do you have any idea how many people are carrying a gun at Walmart, Target and Costco everyday? I bet you would be surprised to find out how many. If I didn't work for a school I would have mine on me at all times. Usually my wife isn't even sure if I have it or not. Saying that because someone keeps it in the car that they are going to get PO'ed and run and shoot people isn't a reason to keep everyone else from having one. If someone is indeed crazy and likely to do that how is a law going to stop them?

I'm not defending this idiot at Disney, because he was wrong and should have been fired and possibly prosecuted. I do/will defend the right to carry a gun legally in all other cases. Those with a permit to carry have gone thru state mandated training required. Those without should have their weapons locked when transporting. If someone breaks in and steals it now they are the criminal and hopefully someone with a permit is nearby if they choose to use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter