Thank you gifts for teachers

dibey

Earning My Ears
The end of the school year is almost here and I would like to get my DD's teacher a thank you gift. Does any body else do that for their kids' teachers?
Any good gift ideas anybody would like to share?

Thanks,
dibey

I bought gift cards for my kids' teachers from Starbucks, Blockbuster and B&N. I delivered the last card this morning, I'm done! :cool1:

When dd was in elementary school, I always bought children's books for the classroom. I started doing it when teachers requested that instead of small items they didn't really need. They'd start a wish list at the school Book Fair of books for the classroom.

I can tell you what not to get, based on what my best friend always gets (she teaches 5th grade).

DON'T get bath products, and don't get anything that says #1 Teacher. Beleive me, she'll get enough of that from the other parents!

I think a gift certificate to Barnes & Noble or another large book store is ideal. She can either spend it on herself, or use it for more books for her classroom.

A gift certificate to the local teaching supply store! As a former teacher, I know how much teachers wind up spending to decorate their rooms..

We gave GC to Borders.

When we had our book fair we also donated a book to the classroom. :)

Chicago526 said:
I think a gift certificate to Barnes & Noble or another large book store is ideal. She can either spend it on herself, or use it for more books for her classroom.

This is what we gave DD's teacher :goodvibes

She had said it was her goal to read all the newberry award winning books and we offered to loan her some of ours and she thanked us but said she wanted to purchase her own copies, so that's when we thought of the idea :) I was hoping she would like it.

Laurie

As a teacher, I can say the best gifts I get are gift cards especially to book stores or teacher supply stores. However, and I did this with my own boys, PLEASE have your child write a note expressing what he or she feels about the teacher.
My son's first grade teacher saved his and when my second son had her he also wrote. She retired last year (my boys are 17 and 21 now) and when my son went to say goodbye she pulled out the notes she had saved all those years.

Also as another poster said please no #1 Teacher items. I have even fobidden my own mother from buying me things like this. What do you do with all that stuff?? You do not want to throw it away but it just overwhelms either the classroom or the home.

I got an idea last year I think from this board and it turned out really cute and DS's teachers seemed to love it. I took a large silver bucket with handles (or you could do a large watering can) and planted some flowers in it. Then wrote on one side of the bucket.."Teachers Plant The Seeds of The Future..." and on the other side "Thanks for Helping Me Grow". I'll try to find a pic and post it.

Founds the pics:

Picture_0315.jpg

Picture_0313.jpg

We always do a thank you note created and written by the kids - with a gift card to a local restaurant, bookstore or mall certificate depending on where they live and what they like.

I LOVE the plant, pot idea - and if its ok I would love to use this! I may do something a bit smaller but that is just terrific.

Thanks for sharing that ~

TJ

eta - I am totally craft challenged, what do you use to print on the pots?? Sorry I am so clueless on crafts - tia

Bella the Ball 360 said:
As a teacher, I can say the best gifts I get are gift cards especially to book stores or teacher supply stores. However, and I did this with my own boys, PLEASE have your child write a note expressing what he or she feels about the teacher.
My son's first grade teacher saved his and when my second son had her he also wrote. She retired last year (my boys are 17 and 21 now) and when my son went to say goodbye she pulled out the notes she had saved all those years.

Also as another poster said please no #1 Teacher items. I have even fobidden my own mother from buying me things like this. What do you do with all that stuff?? You do not want to throw it away but it just overwhelms either the classroom or the home.

Good ideas here. Gift cards are definitely appreciated. And those special handwritten thank yous with pictures are keepers for some of us. Of course, I am a first grade teacher and a "packrat", so I have lots of "keepers"!

Here's another idea I have heard about (but never received or sold :guilty: ). Collect money as a group and give a Longaberger basket with children signing on the bottom or inside the lid-someplace inconspicuous. ;) Even before I became a consultant I heard of other teachers receiving them. Yes, they are costly, but they make a good gift for a class to give. Plus, they are very well made and Made in America . (No, this is not a commercial!)

Okay maybe I am out of the loop but what is a Longaberger Basket?

I never get things like that anyway. My kids are too disadvantaged. However,
I feel very
uncomfortable when one or two children bring gifts and the others cannot. I feel it is assuming too much to send home a note asking for no gifts but really I would love to do it.

My DMIL was a teacher for 31 years. When me and my DH got married, we really didn't have any ornaments for our Christmas tree, so DMIL gave us a box to go through. 3/4 of the ornaments in it were "#1 Teacher" type ornaments. i would def stay away from things like that. I have gotten DS teachers gift cards for a local educational supply store. I know my MIL spent TONS of her own money for things for the classroom.

tjmw2727 said:
We always do a thank you note created and written by the kids - with a gift card to a local restaurant, bookstore or mall certificate depending on where they live and what they like.

I LOVE the plant, pot idea - and if its ok I would love to use this! I may do something a bit smaller but that is just terrific.

Thanks for sharing that ~

TJ

eta - I am totally craft challenged, what do you use to print on the pots?? Sorry I am so clueless on crafts - tia

Feel free to use the idea, afterall I got it from someone on here!! I might do again this year (on a smaller scale too and hopefully I can find smaller cans this time!). I bought some markers at Target that came three in a pack that are good on just about anything and don't wash off. I forget the name of them, but they are craft type ones.

I give a gift card.....I usually do 25 for Christmas, 25 for teacher appreciation week and 25 for the end of school.

Thanks for all the ideas! I love the plant idea. I think I will do something along those lines. I want to stay away from gift cards because I gave the teachers that at Christmas. I wanted the presents to be a bit more special because my DD's teachers were wonderful.

Thanks!

This year, my boys gave the teachers flowers. We went and got some very pretty growers bunches-saw DS5's teachers yesterday morning, and the flowers were a hit.

Last year, we made and brought in lunch at the end of the year for the teachers. Older DS was in a group teaching enviornment for Asperger's, and I would have gone broke showing our appreciation otherwise, so I made roasted potato, london broil, cheesy garlic bread, salad and veggies. It was a big hit-as was the pizza I got the team for Christmas. The school was in the middle of nowhere, so it was school lunch, bag lunch or nothing.

Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter