Terrible Frontier Experience

Disnerd6838

Mouseketeer
Our first experience will most definitely be our last with this airline. This is why...
1. Flight from PVD - MCO was delayed 3 hours, of which a notification was not sent until we were already AT THE AIRPORT waiting for our flight.
2. Check in desk staff were all college - age kids with little-no remorse for our delay(s)
3. Complete utter chaos at the gate. No lines. No order. Nothing. A very vague intercom let the people know when zones were loading, and most of the crowd was confused as to what was going on.
4. Seats were very uncomfortable but this was the least of my issues. Also the "trays" were barely large enough to hold a cup.
5. No explanation as to WHY our flight was delayed.
6. Our flight home WAS ALSO DELAYED by 3 hours. Again, no explanation as to why.
... so bravo, Frontier. Thanks for nothing. I'll pay the $100 extra per ticket with no hesitation next time for pretty much any other airline.

You're supposed still be on time even if your flight is delayed. So what's the difference if you didn't know till you got there? If you don't show and they reduce the delay, they aren't going to wait for you. They got you to your destination yes? With in 24 hours of your bookinging? They did their job.

They weren't apologetic, it would be easier if they were, I agree The seats suck, I agree. I pay more to avoid them too.

I do ignore the down side of budget airlines when I can catch a flight 30 minutes from my front door though.

You're supposed still be on time even if your flight is delayed. So what's the difference if you didn't know till you got there? If you don't show and they reduce the delay, they aren't going to wait for you. They got you to your destination yes? With in 24 hours of your bookinging? They did their job.

They weren't apologetic, it would be easier if they were, I agree The seats suck, I agree. I pay more to avoid them too.

I do ignore the down side of budget airlines when I can catch a flight 30 minutes from my front door though.
My issue is that since we did not arrive in Orlando until later in the day, we missed our ADP at California Grill. It's understandable that last second delays happen, but it happened twice on the same trip. Having no remorse or explanation irritated me. If I had found out 24 hours in advance, I could have made alternative plans. Yes its a budget airline, but I still shelled out a few hundred bucks. I'm done with Frontier.

In no way am i attempting to convince you to change your mind.

1. What Ed J said. I had a Delta flight delayed four hours, only to have it change to on time. I had a jetBlue connecting flight delayed so long, i would not have made the connection - so spent six hours at the wirport waiting for the nonstop.
2. Respectfully, why would they be remorseful? Did any of them create the delay? Were you expecting empathy? Despite being college age, maybe they're accustomed to delays and upset passengers, and no longer respond the way those passengers think they should.
3. Well, i suppose technically there shouldn't be lines. Passengers should be sitting in the gate area. Never flew Frontier, but would expect by now they know how to announce and load planes. Did anybody on your flight advise the gate agent of the vagueness?
4. Okay. Seatguru.com might have been helpful prior to booking. Might not have been.
5. We passengers are not entitled to, and should not expect, such explanations. Frequently airlines do (mechanical issue, flight crew timed out, weather, etc.) but it's their choice.
6. See 5...and, okay? :confused3 Had you read any reviews about Frontier before booking?

I looked up flights to MCO from Atlanta and Frontier was only like $39. Now I can probably handle any seat from Atlanta to MCO because its like, one hour, but that low of a fare makes me wonder how well the planes are maintained and such. Next was Spirit at around $75 I think.

My issue is that since we did not arrive in Orlando until later in the day, we missed our ADP at California Grill. It's understandable that last second delays happen, but it happened twice on the same trip. Having no remorse or explanation irritated me. If I had found out 24 hours in advance, I could have made alternative plans. Yes its a budget airline, but I still shelled out a few hundred bucks. I'm done with Frontier.
Delays happen. On every airline. Making an ADR that close to your flight arrival time is risky, ss posters on both this and the Restaurants forums would have advised you. That it happened twice on the same trip is coincidental. Unless there's a widespread weather issue or other disaster, expecting any airline to know today that any of their flights will be delayed tomorrow, which flight/s, and for how long is disingenuous.

These numbers are for last December, note the November rankings in parentheses https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...nited-leads-list-time-u-s-airlines/324746002/
1. United Airlines, 84.6% (Previous month: No. 5)
2. Delta Air Lines 83.5% (1)
3. Alaska Airlines, 83.4% (11)
4. Virgin America, 82.5% (12)
5. American Airlines, 82.0% (4)
6. Hawaiian Airlines, 80.8% (3)
7. Spirit Airlines, 80.4% (2)
8. Southwest Airlines, 79.1% (6)
9. SkyWest Airlines, 76.5% (10)
10. ExpressJet, 76.4% (8)
11. Frontier Airlines, 75.8% (9)
12. JetBlue Airways, 74.1% (7)
Total for all covered airlines: 80.3%

This report https://www.flightstats.com/company/monthly-performance-reports/airlines/ seems to cover last month.

In no way am i attempting to convince you to change your mind.

1. What Ed J said. I had a Delta flight delayed four hours, only to have it change to on time. I had a jetBlue connecting flight delayed so long, i would not have made the connection - so spent six hours at the wirport waiting for the nonstop.
2. Respectfully, why would they be remorseful? Did any of them create the delay? Were you expecting empathy? Despite being college age, maybe they're accustomed to delays and upset passengers, and no longer respond the way those passengers think they should.
3. Well, i suppose technically there shouldn't be lines. Passengers should be sitting in the gate area. Never flew Frontier, but would expect by now they know how to announce and load planes. Did anybody on your flight advise the gate agent of the vagueness?
4. Okay. Seatguru.com might have been helpful prior to booking. Might not have been.
5. We passengers are not entitled to, and should not expect, such explanations. Frequently airlines do (mechanical issue, flight crew timed out, weather, etc.) but it's their choice.
6. See 5...and, okay? :confused3 Had you read any reviews about Frontier before booking?
I appreciate the thoughts and for the most part you make good arguments. The one I disagree with is the customer service / being remorseful point. They represent the airline and the company. They should be empathetic to the paying customers. I work at a gym, if a member has a complaint it doesn't matter if its my fault or not. They are paying and it's my job to show that I care about what they are dealing with. I'd expect the same from any business and I did not receive it this week.

You could try contacting Frontier. Ideally they're more responsive than Spirit ;).

Sure, the counter staff could be more empathetic. How much emotion would you have left to show after the 75th customer complained about an issue completely out of your control?

I have had numerous flight delays on different carriers and I have never received notification from them prior to me arriving at the airport.

I am proactive in checking my flight status on FlightAware and FlightStats which fetches information from the ATC system.

In August we were just through security when SW notified us of our flight being delayed. There is nothing we could do nor SW as they had to fly pilot in from Denver to Indy. This was going to MCO also.

The boarding process chaos is any airline as stupid, rude passengers don’t board when they are supposed to. They don’t listen to what zone,etc has been called.

The airline employees get yelled at and honestly there is nothing they can do. Do you want to fly on an airplane with a mechanical issue or pilot who hasn’t had right layover rest?

Everywhere on disboards people say don’t make ADRs too early on arrival day exactly for this reason .

The economy airlines are horrible. Allegiant seats just as bad as Frontier. You get what you pay for comfort wise. But any airline can have delays

Last edited:
When I fly in to MCO, unless I am arriving at before noon, I never book an ADR or FP for that night. Just too many ways for things to go wrong.

My first trip in over 16 years, back in 2008, our flight was just 10 minutes late, but then collecting our checked bags, getting to the car rental office, waiting in that line, getting the car, and driving out to POR, by the time we arrived at POR we had only 15 minutes to make our reservation at Chef Mickeys. We ended up going straight to dinner and checking in later, and this after a 6 hour flight. Yuck, never again.

Our first experience will most definitely be our last with this airline. This is why...
1. Flight from PVD - MCO was delayed 3 hours, of which a notification was not sent until we were already AT THE AIRPORT waiting for our flight.
2. Check in desk staff were all college - age kids with little-no remorse for our delay(s)
3. Complete utter chaos at the gate. No lines. No order. Nothing. A very vague intercom let the people know when zones were loading, and most of the crowd was confused as to what was going on.
4. Seats were very uncomfortable but this was the least of my issues. Also the "trays" were barely large enough to hold a cup.
6. Our flight home WAS ALSO DELAYED by 3 hours. Again, no explanation as to why.
... so bravo, Frontier. Thanks for nothing. I'll pay the $100 extra per ticket with no hesitation next time for pretty much any other airline.

This was exactly our experience using frontier the one time we used them, but ours was Dulles to mco the night before our cruise. I was so stressed that our flight was going to be cancelled and we finally got to our room that night at 1:00 am. Never again.

I agree that Frontier stinks. The only time we flew them (& it wasn't my choice to do so), there was a 3-hour delay for the outbound flight, and the delay was Frontier's fault. Never flew them again after that trip and haven't ever been tempted to try again.

I do not remember which airline now as was that long ago and I was not on flight just waiting for my girls baton group to get home and pick them up. their flight out of Orlando on Jan 1 was snowed out because plane was snowed in at Detroit thank goodness it was pre911 or leader would have been arrested for her actions there because counter employees wouldn't do what she told them to do for her group. they ended up over 8 hours late getting home that night

We’ve had good luck with Frontier PVD/MCO, 6 trips, no issues.
I agree that they employ the cast of the Jersey Shore to check you in & help you at the terminal...my god!

I agree. No excuse for bad customer service. My daughter works in customer service and this situation was definitely handled poorly. You have now helped me decide not to fly Frontier even though their prices look good. When I add luggage they are not much cheaper than other airlines.
We fly Jetblue mostly and even though they are one of the lowest on time airlines according to PP's article we never had a problem. I check the flight I am taking because they list the on time stats for that flight. The ones we take have good stats and if they are delayed they notify us pretty quickly. I check multiple times the day I leave with the airline for any delays or flight changes this way I am prepared.

Sorry you had to learn this lesson the hard way. Hope your future flights are much better.

We had a similar experience with Frontier in August. Our 2:00pm flight took off from MCO six hours late. Unlike OP’s situation, we were notified via email early that morning. Knowing we were still required to be at the airport in time for our flight’s original departure time, we went ahead and booked a room at the hotel in the airport as a sort of “home base” for the day. This made all the difference in the world. Rather than feeling semi-homeless while sitting at the gate for six hours, we spent a relaxing afternoon lounging in our room. Our daughter went out on the balcony for a little while to watch the planes take off and land. We enjoyed a relaxing dinner in one of the airport restaurants then made our way to the gate 45 minutes before takeoff.

When we landed we were greeted with another email from Frontier informing us that they issued us $150 vouchers per person toward another flight. Which, as it turns out, is more than we spent for each passenger’s entire round trip flight to begin with.

While it wasn’t exactly an ideal situation by any stretch of the imagination, we did our best to make the most of it. We’re now looking forward to a quick weekend trip back to Orlando. Only this time we’ll be using those vouchers to fly on Frontier’s dime.

I agree completely with OP about the uncomfortable seats. The 2.5 hour flight from our northeast airport is at the top end of what I would consider to be tolerable. And those miniature tray tables are comical.

OP, I know they wouldn’t be of much use to you as you’ve already said you will never fly Frontier again, but here’s to hoping you get that email and the complimentary flight vouchers like we did.

I once had a Southwest evening return flight delayed a couple hours. I got a text around 1:00pm. We still went to the airport at the original time, you never know. When we got to the gate, they made an announcement that we would each get a $100 travel voucher good for a year. Didn’t land until around 2:00am, about 3 hours late. The travel voucher helped take the sting out of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter