Tents in July - Do I dare invite DGS & DGD along?

Dancemom03

Flexican wannabe
Hot, hot, hot... I'm taking fans - even thought of taking the ac unit but figured that'd be pushing it. We'll be driving, so I'll have my van and can take two tents if needed. DDs and I are so looking forward to this. It seems like every time we plan it, something happens, so it's FW or bust this time. DD8 is already working on our DIS-ears sign. The countdown is on...

BUT... The grandkids are 8 & 10. They've never been to wdw at all and say at the beginning of each summer that DS is going to take them this year. Problem is, he means well but hasn't even begun to think of reservations or taking time off. They have no problems buying new motorcycles for the adults but there just doesn't seem to be enough money for a trip to wdw.
I have to wonder if this is really the same kid I raised... Maybe that surfing/skateboarding lover of all disney resorts was taken over by pod people years ago while out on a date or something.:confused3

Anyway... We're going to be with several friends & extended family at BC the first week, so I know between us there's room for two more, and I don't think they'd be a problem at all. We'll farm DD19 out to her friend's room next door if need be. Second week, the DDs and I are heading to FW on our own. We'll still have friends/family there but not at FW with us. My DB has graciously volunteered to babysit our new puppy at his house so we plan to stay six nights at FW in a tent.

Would it be crazy to invite the two grandkids along to tent camp without DS? They're used to A/C but aren't we all... Do you think it'll be too hot for kids who don't belong to me to tent camp in mid-July? It will cool off a bit in the tents at night, right? I'd love to see them experience the world for the first time and enjoy some long awaited grandparent bonding time.

I'm posting hoping for your ideas to help me find a way to gather the courage to convince DS this could be a great opportunity - or talk me back down to reality...

You are right it will be hot! I think I would take them I would also explain to them it will be hot! You want them to understand this, they may not want to go if they realize how hot it's going to be. You might consider doing the pool stuff during the day and the parks at night when it might be a little cooler or cooler. I just would not do commando style with it being hot, because the heat can take alot out of you! You might think about that airconditioner.

If I were you I would get a small AC. I have been in July and never again. I have even lived in the Tampa area and its hot. I think the kids would probably be ok if you at least had some fans..

I'm as far away from commando-style as you can get. We do wdw like other people do the beach - to relax - and what a great place it is to do just that once you get over the 'gotta see it all" attitude!

The girls and I were just planning to hang out at the fort most of the time and soak up the atmosphere though we will have APs. We've never been to the campfire and DD8 is looking forward to that a lot. I gotta remember to call about that golf cart too so I can join in the fun as you all zip by me in cool camper mode...

Hey we are also going to be camping at the fort in early July. We will have an RV and a Tent. I recently bought a kooleraire unit to use to cool the tent. Basically it is a fan that sits on a 25 qt igloo or 28 qt coleman cooler and plugs into a cigarette lighter. It sucks the cool air off the ice and lowers the temperature inside the tent. the only draw back is refilling the ice, we are filling empty 2 liter bottle with water and freezing in advance to limit the ice consumption. Hope this helps.

Are there lots of bugs in the summer? What about mosquitoes? are you constantly applying insect repellant. and DD (10) wants to know how they control alligators around the campsite?:scared1:

Hey we are also going to be camping at the fort in early July. We will have an RV and a Tent. I recently bought a kooleraire unit to use to cool the tent. Basically it is a fan that sits on a 25 qt igloo or 28 qt coleman cooler and plugs into a cigarette lighter. It sucks the cool air off the ice and lowers the temperature inside the tent. the only draw back is refilling the ice, we are filling empty 2 liter bottle with water and freezing in advance to limit the ice consumption. Hope this helps.

I've seen those advertised. Love to hear how that works for you. I don't suppose you'll be back before 7/8 by chance with a field tested review?
I'm wondering if we'd go broke buying ice at the fort to keep it going. I've heard they use a lot of ice.

We have a small window ac unit I use occassionally in the kitchen when I cook alot so it doesn't throw the heat pump off. I was thinking I could take that along if need be...

I'd vote for bringing a small AC unit. My first tent-camping experience a few years ago was in October and I thought I'd be fine. (Please note I'm from Arizona and I thought I knew a thing or two about heat. LOL!). Well, there was a record-breaking heat wave and honestly the tent was waaaay too hot to relax comfortably in -- until after 9:00 at night. By 11:00 or so, it cooled down enough to slip into the sleeping bag until morning. I ended up spending most of my evenings at the beach or in the Wilderness Lodge lobby.

I would definitly invite my grandkids. I would tell them its going to be hot, but they would probably love the opportunity to go to WDW.

No matter what you decide to do with the grandkids, TAKE THE AC UNIT!!!.
There is a thread here that actually pictured how others hooked up the AC unit to their tents.

As for the grandkids, I would take them along. Make it perfectly clear (maybe even put it in writing so they cannot say you did not warn them) that it will be HOT, bugs, crowded, long lines etc etc.

As my MIL signs her emails.
Live for today because tomorrow may never come.

We will actually be down there from 7/7 - 7/12. So we won't be able to report on it until after then. Our plan is to only use it at night, and to only use Ice as a supplement to our frozen bottles (we will re-freeze them in the RV during the day).

Are there lots of bugs in the summer? What about mosquitoes? are you constantly applying insect repellant. and DD (10) wants to know how they control alligators around the campsite?:scared1:

There is standing water in several places now and I have not seen any mosquitoes. I have not seen any alligators. If one is seen it is removed.

If I were you I would get a small AC. I have been in July and never again. I have even lived in the Tampa area and its hot. I think the kids would probably be ok if you at least had some fans..

The heat index here at the Fort has reached 110 this week. If you have room for the AC, you should bring it.

There is standing water in several places now and I have not seen any mosquitoes. I have not seen any alligators. If one is seen it is removed..

:stir: You mean like this cunning little guy at CSR (who had eluded the wdw "pest control" teams for a couple months when this pic was taken) and hung out in the water just off the sidewalk near pepper market where folks would throw him food? Not sure, but I'm thinking they must surely have caught him by now...:lmao:

P1010040.jpg

The heat index here at the Fort has reached 110 this week. If you have room for the AC, you should bring it.

Ewwww.... that's hot alright. So glad we have the small AC unit. I was thinking I'd take out the back seat in my van to leave us lots of extra room - now I know I will. Planning to take a fan along too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter