Temporarily Locked: Standy Line Open. Boarding Group: Rise of the Resistance *No Spoilers* Thread, Read 1st Post before commenting.

lovethattink

TPAS Moderator
Big Changes starting 9/23/2021:

See Post 2

———————————————

The purpose of this thread is an update to the original thread about how to get a BG for RoTR.

No Spoilers

This is a NO SPOILER thread - any post containing anything hinting at an attraction spoiler may be removed or edited at the discretion of Theme Parks Attractions & Strategies Board Moderators.

Even simple descriptions of locations and processes are considered spoilers - spoiler threads such as this one are available for discussing the ride if so inclined.

Basic Acronym List
  • RotR - Rise of the Resistance
  • BG - Boarding Group

The only way to ride this attraction is by having a boarding group.
There is NO Fast Pass entry or standby entry.

You may only get a BG on a day you have a Park Reservation for Disney's Hollywood Studios.

You will need to use the MDE app

Newest Info 9/9/2021

Thank you @jcarwash for the info!
A change to the virtual queue pages. Confirming your party within the hour, plus a Refresh button to load the page at time:

Update 9/10/21
@jhop321 reported today 9/10/21:
Canceled HS , reserved Epcot & the boarding pass was still there. Park hopped to Hollywood Studios at 2, and my boarding group was called at 4ish

Update 9/10/21
@scrappinginontario reported this change to the "practice screen"

I just tried to start my practice for 1PM and am now seeing at 12:15PM when I click 'Join Virtual Queue' at the AT AT picture, that a new screen is displayed asking me to Confirm my Party.
View attachment 603486

When I click ‘Confirm Your Party’ the new screen is displayed plus a message telling me I do not have any eligible party members and gives me the option to change my party.
View attachment 603489

Prior to 9/9/21:
————————————————
1) Go to the AT-AT
-What is an AT-AT? It is a Star Wars All Terrain Armored Transport.

2) At 7am or 1pm Click join, then join, then join.

-Time is of the essence. Boarding groups can fill up in as little as 2 seconds.

-All members of your MDE friends and family who have a park reservation for Disney's Hollywood Studios for that day, should automatically show up while you are hitting join. If you stop to click and unclick people, you most likely will not get a BG.

-At 7AM you may try to make a boarding group from any location. At 1pm, you must make your BG from inside the park or if you tap in before 1pm, you can make the BG from outside the park.

-Presently, if Disney's Hollywood Studios isn't the park of your reservation, you won't be able to get a BG if you start somewhere else and park hop to DHS. Please Note: On 8/20/21 people reported being able to park hop to DHS and ride RotR. This most likely is due to lower crowd levels.)

-Guests may only join one BG in a day.

-Having a BG does not guarantee you'll get to ride. There are times where it breaksdown, closes, or parts of the attraction close.

-The notification you receive will show your return window, it gives you an hour.

-Multiple people in your MDE friends and family group can try for a BG at the same time.

-Closing all extra apps may help your speed. Turning off VPN is beneficial.

Can I practice from home?
-UPDATE: 8/26/2021 Practice BG has changed. It's been reported that practice is no longer possible as those without park reservations cannot click the final button as it's greyed out.
-UPDATE: As of Jul 8, 2021 you will need to click 'Select All' or yourself after the second 'Join' button to proceed to the final 'Join' button. (This will NOT be needed on the day you have a park reservation as all with a park reservation will be pre-selected.)
-If you see the screen that says, 'Wait a minute. Is everyone in the park?' or, 'Is everyone here' or, 'You do not have a reservation', this will have been a successful practice.

You can also try for a boarding group by clicking Check Status, and following the prompts.

Baby Swap
-Both parents scan and then one goes and waits with the child and then they swap after the ride is done.
-If a child in your party is under age 3 and does not have a park pass, their name will not show up during making a BG, just keep hitting Join, Join, join.

I have DAS, how do I ride?
-For DAS: You need to get a BG for each member of your party. When you get notification on MDE that your BG is called, you get in the Rise Line. When you get to the CM they'll scan your band to verify the BG. Let that cm know you have DAS and you'll be sent to a different tapstile to enter.

What if my BG is called while I'm at an ADR, Savi's, or Droid Depot?
-As of this posting, you may go to your ADR, Savi's or Droid Depot and come back when you can if your BG has been called.

Last edited:

I think you've done a great job. It'll definitely help to update the FAQ as new questions arise, but post 1 is definitely more aligned to how things work today than the other thread.

Might be worth it to shut down the other post and leave the post with the link to here as the final post. I'd also add Part 2 or June 2021 to the end of this threads name, as well as Read Post 1.

Thanks for taking the time to do this new thread!

I think you've done a great job. It'll definitely help to update the FAQ as new questions arise, but post 1 is definitely more aligned to how things work today than the other thread.

Might be worth it to shut down the other post and leave the post with the link to here as the final post. I'd also add Part 2 or June 2021 to the end of this threads name, as well as Read Post 1.

Thanks for taking the time to do this new thread!

Thank you. Yes, @scrappinginontario and I discussed closing it tomorrow. Read post 1 was also discussed. And a link to this thread was added to the first post of the old thread.

Ok. I think I was successful this morning with my practice. Got to the screen after the second Join which had my MDE linked people and it stopped me since I didn't have a park pass.

Turned WiFi off and used data. Did a Neil Peart drum solo with my finger on Join at 700 on the dot.

This truly is gutwrenching and could make or break your morning the day at HS. Maybe when they increase capacity we can have more than 4 seconds

Ok. I think I was successful this morning with my practice. Got to the screen after the second Join which had my MDE linked people and it stopped me since I didn't have a park pass.

Turned WiFi off and used data. Did a Neil Peart drum solo with my finger on Join at 700 on the dot.

This truly is gutwrenching and could make or break your morning the day at HS. Maybe when they increase capacity we can have more than 4 seconds

Remember there’s always the chance to try again at 1pm if you didn’t get it in the morning.

AND…

DHS starts to clear out after 2 when people hop away because they either rode it or didn’t get to.

Our party of 9 didn’t get in this morning with 2 phones right on time. It didn’t even show join like it did for us last year. Upset kids :(

full at 7:00
DH took a video of the process to prove to the kids.

-If you see the screen that says, 'Wait a minute. Is everyone in the park?' this will have been a successful practice.

When I've been practicing at 7am, the stopping point has been the "No park reservation" message. At 1pm practice, the stopping point has been the "Is everyone in the park?" message.

Our party of 9 didn’t get in this morning with 2 phones right on time. It didn’t even show join like it did for us last year. Upset kids :(

full at 7:00
DH took a video of the process to prove to the kids.

Some people swear by using time.gov when trying for a bg. I usually use that because my phone is slow compared to it. When I see it show 6:59:59 then I press join. A few times I was too fast and had to quickly back out and hit join. Other people suggest hitting it at exactly 7am using time.

Typically how long does the process for the 1p BGs last? Is it similar to 7a? I can see myself fumbling around at Baseline Taphouse with diminished reflexes ;)

Yesterday there were thunderstorms and there was more time to get a bg. It varies. May 4th, very little time.

RIP original thread... somewhere in there are postings from my March 2020 trip when I was successful both times but the first time wasn't called since by BG was 130 or something...and they closed the ride at 8p despite having EMH. Wasn't happy...and then again 2 days later where I got BG 10 and the ride broke down in the middle...finally was able to ride 2 hours later. It was quite the ride, literally. Really do appreciate the perpetual and patient advice in these threads.

I've ridden before but we were in the park when our group was called. Planning for our July trip, how long after BG is called can you enter the queue?

I've ridden before but we were in the park when our group was called. Planning for our July trip, how long after BG is called can you enter the queue?
You have a guarantee 1 hour return window when your boarding group is called. However, some have gotten on much later than 1 hour for various reasons. This is definitely determined by the cast members working, so don't push it if you don't have to, but a log of times, as long as your group has been called and the ride is running, you can typically get on.

You have a guarantee 1 hour return window when your boarding group is called. However, some have gotten on much later than 1 hour for various reasons. This is definitely determined by the cast members working, so don't push it if you don't have to, but a log of times, as long as your group has been called and the ride is running, you can typically get on.
Thank you!

I was there in December and got a BG at 7am. My question is at 1pm, do I have to be in HS. Was hoping to do AK and hop to HS at 2pm. We were planning to get one before eating lunch at Ale and Compass. Thanks in advance!

I was there in December and got a BG at 7am. My question is at 1pm, do I have to be in HS. Was hoping to do AK and hop to HS at 2pm. We were planning to get one before eating lunch at Ale and Compass. Thanks in advance!
In order to try for a BG at 1pm, you have to have already entered HS prior to 1pm. You can't get one if you start your day in another park (since you can't hop until 2pm).

edit: You have to have a theme park reservation for DHS and have entered the park in order to get a boarding pass at 1pm. :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter