Tell me what you love about Boulder Ridge Villas!

StuckinPA

Mouseketeer
My newlywed husband and I just rented a DVC studio at Boulder Ridge for January and I was curious what you all love about the resort. It's completely new to us. What's don't miss for you? Our view is a standard view, but we'd love something scenic and quiet. Any ideas on a room request?

We’ve owned at Boulder Ridge (aka Villas at Wilderness Lodge/ VWL) for 21 years. We love the laid back quietness of the Lodge. When you sit on the balcony relaxing in the morning or evening and look over Bay Lake it’s very easy to forget the hustle and bustle of crowded parks that a Disneyworld vacation is. Even when you hear a boat horn it’s sort of just an echo off the water. I always sleep well when I’m at The Lodge.

We should be there in 15 days. It will be our first time, so I’m interested to hear what everyone says. Our room request was for a view of the DVC pool. I think north east on an upper floor.

We love WL. Own at Copper Creek but have stayed at Boulder Ridge as well. The whole vibe of the entire resort is relaxing. So many nooks and fireplaces to sit at. Boulder Ridge has a separate lobby with trains and displays to look at.

Geyser Point is a great place to grab food and drinks. You can also sit outside and watch the Electrical Water Pageant.

The boat ride to MK is a relaxing trip itself!

When we were considering buying into DVC they were selling Boulder Ridge. When we took the tour my husband said “OK. I feel I can do this!” The theming is so relaxing. Every time I walk through the doors of the main Lodge, I can really say I feel at “home”. There are a few rooms we have had over the years and it is the Studio “dumpster view”. We DO have plans to revisit BR this December in a one bedroom and will experience the Christmas and hopefully BR update will ve complete. I suggest that you enjoy the beauty of the resort, the relaxing boat ride to MK and the peace it should give you. The only suggestion I’d give you is to get in touch with Member Services and tell them it’s you Honeymoon. Maybe they will give you a studio that is worthy of a Honeymoon!

We loved Copper Creek and Wilderness Lodge in general! Geyser Point, the main lobby, the boats, the Boulder Ridge quiet pool, all of it was serene and charming.

The seclusion from the hustle & bustle of WDW is certainly one of the main draws for BRV, and in fact for the entire Wilderness Lodge campus which includes Boulder Ridge, Copper Creek Villas and the Wilderness Lodge resort hotel. The theming is impeccable and the immersive experience of being in the great Northwest is carried throughout the resort...you won't see any palm trees on this property!

One thing I should point out is that Boulder Ridge is the second smallest DVC resort at WDW. Only the original Grand Floridian Villas have fewer units. So a very common view request at BRV is to be on the lake side of the resort. But half of the villas at this resort are on the "bus stop" side of the resort which is a bit of a misnomer since it is set back a good distance from the bus stop and the views are primarily of trees on that side (befitting the theming of the resort). So half of the villas at the resort will be "woods view" only. Also, even on the lake side of the resort, many of the views (especially the lower floors) will be primarily of trees as the view to the lake becomes smaller and smaller each year as the trees grow. So bottom line, I wouldn't get too concerned about the view at all as that is not the primary attraction of the resort. The good news about being so small is that even the furthest villa from the elevators is a relatively quick walk down the main hallway.

In addition to the theming, Geyser Point bar & grill is one of the best bars at WDW. No, it doesn't have a theme park view but it is an open air setting on the shore of Bay Lake with a nice breeze typically coming in off the lake. Just a great setting to relax for a while.

We’ve owned at Boulder Ridge (aka Villas at Wilderness Lodge/ VWL) for 21 years. We love the laid back quietness of the Lodge. When you sit on the balcony relaxing in the morning or evening and look over Bay Lake it’s very easy to forget the hustle and bustle of crowded parks that a Disneyworld vacation is. Even when you hear a boat horn it’s sort of just an echo off the water. I always sleep well when I’m at The Lodge.
So wonderful to hear. We love our resort to be a quiet retreat from the parks!

To be honest I’m absolutely sick they didn’t put the under TV beds in the 1 bed. They could definately have fitted. I could have stayed Xmas, and it’s been available, but with a 16 year old son, and 19 year old daughter this means me sharing a bed with son, and wife with daughter, and me and my son likely on the sofa bed. He’s 6 feet 1 and I’m not doing it for 6 nights. It’s madness they don’t have 5 sleep surfaces in the 1 bed but do in studios.
So I’m back at SSR again which has now become my resort of choice since they put the under TV murphy in the 1 beds, my daughter goes in that, son in sofa bed and us in the king, perfect, and low points.
Very, very disappointing this decision.

We are long-time DVC members and didn’t begin staying at BRV until 2019 (we just never got around to it before then). Now we stay there once a year (we try for at least 2 trips a year). It is truly immersive and I feel my stress level go down as soon as I walk through the WL lobby. :cloud9: We’ve been lucky to get a fairly good lake view on most of our visits. Geyser Point is a really lovely spot and we enjoy it in the middle of the day when it is a bit quieter, but it’s fun in the evenings too. I realize the theme is not for everyone’s taste (I frankly didn’t think it was mine, but I was way off on that!:blush:), but different strokes….I hope you have a great visit!

To be honest I’m absolutely sick they didn’t put the under TV beds in the 1 bed. They could definately have fitted. I could have stayed Xmas, and it’s been available, but with a 16 year old son, and 19 year old daughter this means me sharing a bed with son, and wife with daughter, and me and my son likely on the sofa bed. He’s 6 feet 1 and I’m not doing it for 6 nights. It’s madness they don’t have 5 sleep surfaces in the 1 bed but do in studios.
So I’m back at SSR again which has now become my resort of choice since they put the under TV murphy in the 1 beds, my daughter goes in that, son in sofa bed and us in the king, perfect, and low points.
Very, very disappointing this decision.
I do agree it's crazy they have 5 sleeping spots in a studio but only 4 in a 1BR however I don't know that they could have added the single murphy bed into BRV 1 and 2BR's. Maybe something else but if you look at this picture from SSR you see that they had to eliminate the kitchen bar seating and there still isn't room for a connecting door like BRV has in the living area. You'd have to go way back in time to the VWL design and put that darn connecting door at the entry way where they all should have been. (Picture from Disney Tourist Blog) As I understand it the few SSR rooms that have the connecting door in the living area did not get the single murphy bed.

saratoga-springs-resort-hotel-dvc-disney-world-430-705x470.jpg

What do we love about BRV?

EVERYTHING!!

We love the pools, we love the little nooks where you can read or chill, we love the dining choices, we love the atmosphere where you're in Florida but you don't feel like you're in Florida and can escape the crazy of the parks to a peaceful place. We love the atmosphere, the ambience and the decor. We love the music in the lobby and the music that plays on the bus when you enter the property. We love the cast members most of all!

Like I said...we love everything about BRV and prefer not to stay anywhere else if we can help it.

We love the pools, we love the little nooks where you can read or chill, we love the dining choices, we love the atmosphere where you're in Florida but you don't feel like you're in Florida and can escape the crazy of the parks to a peaceful place.
All of this! Plus, we love that even after driving under the sign on Timberline Drive, and even after passing through the guard gate, you STILL can't even see the lodge. It's only when you turn onto the driveway to the porte cochere and parking lot that the lodge looms up in its magnificence. You truly do feel like you're in a serene woodland oasis, isolated from the hustle and bustle of the Monorail Loop (but just a boat ride away from MK).

Last edited:
I do agree it's crazy they have 5 sleeping spots in a studio but only 4 in a 1BR however I don't know that they could have added the single murphy bed into BRV 1 and 2BR's. Maybe something else but if you look at this picture from SSR you see that they had to eliminate the kitchen bar seating and there still isn't room for a connecting door like BRV has in the living area. You'd have to go way back in time to the VWL design and put that darn connecting door at the entry way where they all should have been. (Picture from Disney Tourist Blog) As I understand it the few SSR rooms that have the connecting door in the living area did not get the single murphy bed.

saratoga-springs-resort-hotel-dvc-disney-world-430-705x470.jpg
Presumably the connecting door is in the lock offs?

It is mad as you say. We like the 1 beds for the space, the washer dryer and full kitchen, I cant get the family in a studio. So BRV is now either a 2 bed for us which is overkill (and quite difficult to get) or we don’t stay. Many others in the same position. Adding the extra bed to SSR really made those some of the best 1 beds on property, particularly at standard view point level. I think many of us expected them to appear in all full refurbs going forward so it’s a real disappointmenT.

Anyway after our initial 6 nights in SSR we are on a cruise then back for a single night. This is 6 Jan. Marathon day. Presumably if we booked in VGF if we got there by 10 am we could get to the resort? I am thinking either VGF or I could maybe go the 2 bed at Wilderness Lodge for one night. Are the boats back running over to the Contemporary dock from VWL as we will only want to go to MK and don’t fancy busses? If not, why are they not back does anyone know , and are they expected to come back?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Presumably the connecting door is in the lock offs?

It is mad as you say. We like the 1 beds for the space, the washer dryer and full kitchen, I cant get the family in a studio. So BRV is now either a 2 bed for us which is overkill (and quite difficult to get) or we don’t stay. Many others in the same position. Adding the extra bed to SSR really made those some of the best 1 beds on property, particularly at standard view point level. I think many of us expected them to appear in all full refurbs going forward so it’s a real disappointmenT.

Anyway after our initial 6 nights in SSR we are on a cruise then back for a single night. This is 6 Jan. Marathon day. Presumably if we booked in VGF if we got there by 10 am we could get to the resort? I am thinking either VGF or I could maybe go the 2 bed at Wilderness Lodge for one night. Are the boats back running over to the Contemporary dock from VWL as we will only want to go to MK and don’t fancy busses? If not, why are they not back does anyone know , and are they expected to come back?

Cheers.
At BRV the door into the 2nd bedroom in a dedicated 2BR is also in that same spot in the living area so only a dedicated 1BR might have been able to get it but that would have been only about 1/3rd of the 1BR's at BRV and there was zero chance they'd do that.
At SSR I thought they might actually add the single murphy to the studios. That was disappointing but good they added it to the larger rooms.

The roads are shut down very early in the morning then reopen. If you arrive around 10am it shouldn't be an issue. And no, the boats are not back running between FW, CR and WL. Rumors are that CR doesn't want to pay for them. I think the new DVC cabins give the best possibility of getting them back otherwise they may end up being just a memory. It's such a loss for both WL and CR IMO. The boats do still run from WL to MK though.

What do we love about BRV?

EVERYTHING!!

We love the pools, we love the little nooks where you can read or chill, we love the dining choices, we love the atmosphere where you're in Florida but you don't feel like you're in Florida and can escape the crazy of the parks to a peaceful place. We love the atmosphere, the ambience and the decor. We love the music in the lobby and the music that plays on the bus when you enter the property. We love the cast members most of all!

Like I said...we love everything about BRV and prefer not to stay anywhere else if we can help it.
This makes me so excited for November! We randomly added 2 nights at the start of our trip. Honestly, not sure we ever would have, but first two choices were booked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter