Tell me about Kona.

SamanthaL

<font color=purple>I got the cute kids AND <font c
We were planning to do Concourse Steakhouse for our November trip. Now there are rumors that it may be closed. I am afraid to have ressies if this happens.

I was thinking of doing Kona instead. Good choice? It's one of the only places we havent tried. What do you guys think?

We love eating at the Kona Cafe for lunch and dinner. We ate there a few weeks ago when my husband and one of his colleagues were at the Comtemporary for a day of meetings and we met up at the Polynesian for dinner. We all had some form of red meat, if I recall correctly and we were all members of the clean plate club at the end of the meal (also members of the empty wine glass club too, but that's a different story! :rolleyes1 ).

Everything is fresh and well-prepared. As I mentioned, I had a steak this time, but I ususally get fish there (the macadamia mahi mahi is outstanding and the shrimp and scallops are really good too, but I'm a sucker for anything with sticky rice on a menu!).

It's a lively environment, but we've always had good service and a relaxing meal. We have also eaten at the Councourse Steakhouse and have enjoyed that as well, but given the choice, we always seem to opt for Kona.

Have fun and enjoy your meal!

Good question. I am set to try Kona for the first time in Sept. and would really like feedback on this ADR also. Thanks!

Everything we've had at Kona is delicious (we've had multiple breakfasts and lunches and dinner there) and the CMs there are a delight. I think it's a great choice. It's also a little calmer than Ohana.;)

I can only comment for breakfast.

We did the Concourse in 05 and it was HORRIBLE. I never thought anyone could screw up breakfast but they proved me wrong. The fruit was hard and had no flavor. The bacon was hard and black, the potatoes were hard...the food was the worst ever.

We did Kona in 06 and again a few weeks ago and the food there is awesome! The coffee, tonga toast and eggs benedict are amazing...the fruit was very ripe and delicious.

CS & dinner was nonedible....we have tried this restaurant 2xs in 2 years and will never even consider it to be an option.....I would pass on dinner before going there again.

Service and food are good at Kona.......my DH thinks it is an upscale coffee shop which I have to agree with but it is a good place to eat.

Kona has wonderful food, this is the only restaurant we MUST eat at every trip. I'm a veg but no one else I travel with is. No one has ever had anything bad to say about their food, usually they rave. They have (at a premium price) pure Kona coffee as well. Worth the price IMO. And they have some of the best deserts on property:thumbsup2

This is a must do for us too. We have always had great food and service at Kona. Can't wait to have Kona again in August!

Could someone describe the Mahi mahi or the coconut chicken? I think I am sold. I love fish but not very adventurous. How is Mahi mahi compared to say Haddock?

We go to Kona every trip. I think it is a standout for food quality and preparation. We typically go for lunch and have not found it crowded. Salads and sandwiches are great. We recently went for dinner and everyone raved over steak and fish dishes. I'd say it's a can't miss.

Our thoughts on our meal at Kona (with pics) are here ----> click me

Bottom line: 1 of our 2 best meals of the week! Best-kept TS secret at WDW, IMHO.

Kona Cafe Fan here --

We LOVE it. Have never had a bad meal here. It's a fun atmosphere. Twice in a row I got the Coconut Crusted Chicken and it was fabulous. Son loves the Asian pasta and Loving Hub loves any of their seafood dishes. Yummy desserts too. The kiddies will love the fancy ice cream dish -- the cone sits up in the middle of the plate, surrounded by some hard sticky candy. Don't know if they still do it but they used to also have a swirl of cotton candy around it too.

My mouth is watering now!

Oh - we also buy a pound of the Kona Coffee that's sold at the coffee bar outside of the restaurant. It's an expensive treat but we put it in the freezer and pull it out just for special occasions -- like Christmas morning. It lasts in the freezer up to a year.

Kona Cafe is great but it's a completely different type of place from the Concourse Steakhouse in both food and atmosphere. I'm looking forward to a "Kona Cool Sundown" there in a few weeks (a glorified cosmopolitan). I think you should still go ahead and make reservations for the Concourse Steakhouse if that's where you really want to eat. They'll let you know ahead of time if it's going to be closing if you have an ADR, or you'll find out here. And we have never needed reservations for the Kona Cafe, so you should be okay there.

Perfect! I decided we will try it. My kids are not picky at all and would probably love it there. The food sounds good and the pics helped alot. No MahiMahi for me. I will do the chicken or the shrimp/scallop dinner.

I just hope I don't get the waitress that Desnik did! I would have made a much bigger deal about her attitude. Desnik is one nice person.;) ( Toss out my baby's drawing! Nu uh!)

We just went there in January for the first time-because we couldn't get the ressie we wanted. It was the BEST meal we had on the whole trip!!!! Can't wait to go back!!! Get the Kona Kone for dessert for your child or if you have a sweet tooth!! My whole family picked at my husband's-who didn't want to share!!!
GREAT RESTAURANT!!!

Forgot one thing about Kona that might not sound great but is really good...As an appetizer try the duck dumpling, even if you don't like duck this is a great appy....the baby even ate them:confused3 we ended up ordering another order.

Could someone describe the Mahi mahi or the coconut chicken? I think I am sold. I love fish but not very adventurous. How is Mahi mahi compared to say Haddock?

I just had the Mahi Mahi in January. It had a nut crust on it and sat on a bed of delicious risotto and was drizzled with a light cream sauce (not too much). I would get this again in a second!!! YUMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgot one thing about Kona that might not sound great but is really good...As an appetizer try the duck dumpling, even if you don't like duck this is a great appy....the baby even ate them:confused3 we ended up ordering another order.

Could you compare them to anything? I am not a fan of duck but I do tend to surprise myself with what I end up liking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter