Tell me about HHI

Krischaser

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
We have never been to HHI before what can you tell me about it? Fun things to do? Weather? Swimming? By ocean? Ect.... thanks :)

Went to HHI last summer for first time and fell in love with it. It's a cross between Myrtle Beach and a quaint beach community like Cape May, NJ. Big beautiful beach and loads of great restaurants. Shopping and mini golf for the family. Can't say about the night life because we are not partiers. Great golf. Rented bikes and road all over the island.

Can't wait to go back. BTW, we didn't stay at DVC resort. Couldn't get in.

Here now and? It's amazingly nice. The resort is beautiful. Laid back. Calm. Cast members are wonderful. The island has great restaurants. Temp is in mid 70s. Ocean water too cold to swim in but- crowds wayyyy better than July.

Edit to add- Resort is on the Marsh. Not on the beach. Completely ok with us as its super easy to get to the beach house if you want to!

Please let me know if you have any questions!

One of the biggest complaints, from those who complain, is that it's NOT on the ocean. About 1-1 1/2 miles away. You can drive, take the resort's shuttle, or bike to the Beach House there. But there's a lovely pool at the resort (and another at the Beach House), free activities in community hall, bikes to rent (and lots of bike paths), and lots of beautiful nature.

We went there for the first time in November. There were many activities in the resort that we partook in. Some paid activities and some free. The cast members were the nicest I had seen. They knew us after a few minutes and were always eager to help and make us happy. Every time they saw us, they remembered us from previous encounters. Called our daughter by her name. There are free cookies and apple cider in the evening, coffee and tea in the morning. The distance to the pool house was not an issue, it's just a short shuttle ride away and we enjoyed the shuttle ride, talking with the driver.
We spent days at the beach house - several hours at the pool at the beach house, lunch at the beach house then walked over the the beach. One day we drove over to Harbour Town. Enjoyed the gift shops, the light house and just walking around. Relaxing atmosphere as opposed to a rushing around on a WDW vacation.

Being a SC native, we get here fairly often. Hilton Head itself is known for golf and restaurants. It is not as touristy as Myrtle Beach and more quaint. As pp poster stated, the resort itself is on the marsh, not the ocean. But the ocean is across the street and they have a DVC clubhouse and beach. Resort is great with many activities - especially in summer. Warning - water is cool until summer. Also, no real "restaurant" options at the resort. Have to leave the resort for restaurants, but Hilton Head is a small island and you can bike most places, or drive easily.

We stopped for day and half on the way back after a cruise this past week. I silently wished we had done the whole week here instead of the cruise. It was our first, but not our last stay here. The kids 6,10, had a blast and wanted more. The big thing that shocked us is there is no street lights, due to migrating turtles. Which is nice, but make sure you know where your going before it gets dark.
The other is a must do restaurant , Skull Creek Boathouse. Try to get reservations, even low time like last week, we had to wait an hour for a table. The locals all go, so you know its good, the seafood is yummmmmy . My 6yr old gobbled down the fish and chips,(catfish) best I had had.
The other great thing we did was go kayaking. Lots of tour groups, but we went through Disney, same price or cheaper then some I had priced out before hand. My wife very very nervous on the water, and Jeff the guide did a great job. We were lucky and had 2 dolphins swim with us for a short time, cant promise, but this is the only way I would get close to them. No pens all natural.
Have a great time if you decide to go, I know we will be back.

After visiting HHI in 2012, I now hope to get a semi retirement condo there. For snow birding in Jan-March from NJ.

We went in August 202 for 4 nights ( that's all we could get, summer months are tough). We had a 1bedroom which was close to the Main building. A little bit of a walk from the pool, but quiet. The resort was beautiful, my boys loved renting bikes and riding around the resort and surrounding area.

The Beach House is either a bike ride, shuttle bus or car ride from resort. We did not mind. It was like having a 2nd resort. The Beach House of course has the ocean beach which was flat and wide. The water in August was like bath water very warm. You can ride bikes on the beach, sand is very compact. The Beach House has a pool, QS Food, a bar, a library/lounge with games, I think TV, probably a great place to hang out in cooler months. There is billiards and ping pong. My boys played pool volleyball.

HHI is very pretty, and has an upscale feel. Sea Pines which takes up half of the island is a private community. Where you will find Harbour Town, with a lighthouse, marina, shopping and restaurant. There is another area with the Salty Dog complex. Mini golf, biking, fishing, cruises and of course Golf are some of the attractions.

Tons of restaurants. Many great place to try with different cuisines.

I can not wait to get back. You won't be disappointed.

After visiting HHI in 2012, I now hope to get a semi retirement condo there. For snow birding in Jan-March from NJ.

Although we considered that, we decided that the Disney resort there, especially its friendly CMs, is so much of the great experience for us. Several people are essentially winter visitors, spending a weekend about once a month down at WDW to fulfill the 30 day maximum stay rule, then they come back for another 30 days.

Although we considered that, we decided that the Disney resort there, especially its friendly CMs, is so much of the great experience for us. Several people are essentially winter visitors, spending a weekend about once a month down at WDW to fulfill the 30 day maximum stay rule, then they come back for another 30 days.
We thought about this, too. But this is an expensive way to snowbird. Plus, we will be in our early 70s when the points expire. We love the resort, too, and will definitely use our points there for family trips. But when we snowbird, we plan to rent a house near the resort. We love the Palmetto Dunes area. The difference between HHI and WDW is that we MUST stay on-site at WDW but we love all of HHI and would be ok to stay anywhere.
OP, you will love HHI. It is my favorite place to visit. It is so relaxing and peaceful. We love the fact that it's not on the ocean. It's like we have two vacations in one. The marsh is full of wildlife and beautfiul sunsets. The ocean has an awesome flat beach that we love to walk on. It's just an amazing place. Definitely try Skull Creek Boathouse, but as a pp said, you can't get reservations there, so go early. Enjoy your trip!

What I love about this resort is that the trip to Savannah, Ga is only 30 minutes away. There are back roads that you can take to avoid the highway and you get to drive over the Big Giant Bridge. Also there are some really good local restaurants around. One place that would recommend if you like seafood is The Sea Shack. It is a little hole in the wall restaurant but give you great portions and excellent fresh seafood. Also another is the Hilton head diner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter