Tell Me About Disney Cruises

britterbell

DIS Veteran
My family and I are going to try something new so I have a few questions about a cruise:
1) Magic or Wonder (or Dream... not sure when its coming out?:confused:)
2) Best destination for a 4 night to a 7 night cruise.
3) Gonna have a 15 year old and 9 year old, will they like it?
4) Is the balcony worth the extra money?
5) CAN YOU GET SEASICK EASILY!?

Any help is greatly appreciated! TIA! :)

We've been on 3 DCL cruises and are going on our 4th this summer. We keep saying we are taking our last cruise, and then they come out with a new, exciting destination (ie Mediterranean).

Disney knows how to entertain a family. There are places on the ship for the whole family, just kids, just teens and just adults. The last cruise we took was to the Mediterranean when our DD was 11. During the days we were at sea, we never saw her (except for breakfast and dinner). She had a blast and we enjoyed time to ourselves. This summer she will be 14 and very excited about hanging out in the Stack (teen only area).

All of our cruises have been on the Magic - so we now know it inside and out. It is a beautiful ship and again, Disney knows what they are doing. We have had cabins with a balcony as well as an inside cabin. Having the balcony is nice, but on the 11 night European trip, not worth the VERY extra charge. We spent so little time in the cabin on that trip, that we didn't even care we had no window. It actually helped with the jet lag the first few nights.

I highly recommend the Disney Cruise and I'm sure your family will also love it.

BTW - we have never even felt the ship moving let alone gotten any kind of seasick.

Good luck!!:goodvibes

My family and I are going to try something new so I have a few questions about a cruise:
It depends on when you are sailing, how long you want to sail and where you want to go.
Currently the Wonder is doing the 3/4/5 night sailings to the Bahamas. In 2011 the Wonder will move to California and do Mexican Riviera and Alaskan cruises (depending on the time of year).
The Magic does the 7-day sailings to the Caribbean. She will be in Europe this summer and next summer.
The Dream will not be available until late January, 2011. She will take over the 3/4/5 day Bahamas cruises when the Wonder moves to CA.

Our philosophy is "the longer the better". I would avoid a 3-day sailing as it is just too short. The 4-day gives you one sea day which, to us, is the best part of a cruise. Of all of the current itineraries, we prefer the 7-day Western. We love those ports (Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel).

My kids love DCL cruises. They have sailed at all ages (they are now older teens) and have always had a great time.

Not to us. We would rather use the extra money for shipboard expenses, shore excursions and the deposit to book another trip. There are plenty of open, public decks where you can enjoy the ocean. I love the deck chairs on Deck 4. Since this is your first trip I would suggest skipping the balcony. You will have so much to see and do that you won't be in your stateroom that much. Save the balcony for a later cruise (if you decide you'd like one).

Not easily, but it is possible if you are prone to motion sickness or the seas are particularly rough. DCL has stabilizers on each ship that help limit the rocking motion. In 8 cruises I've only gotten sick once and that was when the seas were VERY rough (20-30 foot waves). We always bring some Bonine with us, just in case. If you are prone to motion sickness I'd recommend a cabin on Deck 2 Midship. You will feel the least movement there.

Hope that helps!

Dream comes out in January 2011. Depends on which cruise you pick as to which ship you will be on. A 4 night cruise this year will be on the wonder. In January 2011, the Dream will do the 3/4/5 night cruises.

4 night cruises go to the Bahamas--Nassau and Disney's private island Castaway Cay. 7 night cruise destinations vary-Eastern Caribbean/Western Caribbean, Mexican Riveria, Alaska--depending on when you pick to cruise. We have done a 3 and 4 night cruise.

I also have a 15 y.o. (DS) and 9 y.o. (DD). They both love it. Disney is very good at entertaining kids of ALL ages.

For me, I think the balcony is worth the money, but there are lots of places to sit and enjoy the ocean views if you don't have one. Really, the most important thing is to be on the boat.

Don't know about seasick as we have never been.

1) Magic or Wonder (or Dream... not sure when its coming out?:confused:)I prefer the Magic because it does the longer cruises, the Dream does not come out until 2011.
3) Gonna have a 15 year old and 9 year old, will they like it?It really depends on the child, my dd liked it when she was nine and she is 13 now and she really enjoyed aloft on the wonder.
4) Is the balcony worth the extra money? I have never had a balcony so I cannot answer that one.
5) CAN YOU GET SEASICK EASILY!?We do not get seasick on the cruise, the only time I saw a lot of people getting seasick was when we were on the Transatlantic Cruise.

Answers in Red

1) Magic or Wonder (or Dream... not sure when its coming out?)

1) We've only been on the Wonder... From what I hear, the Wonder and the Magic are very similar.
2) We have only been on the 4 night cruise. All I can say is that it is definitely not enough time. I am also interested in hearing opinions on the 7 night cruises.
3) We have a 2 and 4 year old, but my 11-17 year old nephews (all 5 of them) had a blast. We barely caught them for dinner!
4) I personally wouldn't pay the extra for the balcony- I DID enjoy having a seaview room though... I would fork over the (little) extra for that.
5) I get carsick very easily. I can't even sit in the backseat of a car. I did feel the boat moving, but I was never very sick. Honestly, I felt like I was "tipsy", but never really full blown seasick. That being said- It would not affect my decision on going on another Disney cruise. Also- the reception desk gives out seasickness medication to adults just in case : )

We are going on our 5th Disney Cruise in 2011 on the Dream..

1. 7 days is not long enough...but the Dream is new and the longest cruise they have is 5 days
2. It is all about the ship not the destinations, pick the date that suits you best and if you don't like the destination stay on the ship...the best adventures are at Castaway Cay.
3. My kids have been sailing since the oldest was 7 and cannot wait to go back at 16 and 14.
4. I love the balcony...would go every year if I did not need to save for the balcony.
5. As you have heard before, I never even feel the ship move.

Most important is this is a Mom's vacation...you get pampered, your kids have a fabulous time and the food is incredible!! Also you are surrounded by families who are just as happy to be there as you are!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter