Tell me about Degenerative Joint Disease

maslex

DIS Veteran
So I twisted my knee back around February. Put off going to the doctors until recently. I thought I may have torn the meniscus, but just got my MRI results and doctor said there's no tear but I have a significant amount of "degenerative joint disease". I don't go back to see him for a follow up until June 5th. Can you tell me anything about it? Is it treatable? Require surgery? I know the secretary mentioned cortizone shots when she called, but I'm not sure how I feel on that. I hear they're really painful and only last for a few months. So tell me your experience.

DJD isn't really a "disease" in the sense of the word that most associate disease with. It's your body breaking down as you age. It happens to everyone, just at varying rates. Some people have degeneration early, some later, different joints, etc...

Very common for knees to have DJD. The cartilage in your knee will can soften, break down, deteriorate. It can be made worse by other factors, such as injury, bone spurs, etc... Yes, it's treatable through different methods. Injections can be done. Yes, they hurt when they're done, but they can give you a significant amount of relief for quite a while. One thing I would very much suggest is strengthening the muscles around the leg joints. The stronger you make those muscles, the more support your joint will have. Unquestionably check with a doctor before doing any exercise, so you know what you can and cannot do. Anti-inflammatory drugs such as Advil can help (I can't take Advil). Surgery can depend on your age, condition, how far along the degeneration is. The very, very end of DJD is joint replacement if it ever advances super far to where it's bone on bone. But don't worry about that now, you may never need it.

I've had knee (and other joint) issues since I was 12 or 13. I'm 45 now. I had surgery on both of them when I was about 25 years old to try to help. It had limited success. Honestly, for the longest time I tried to be "conservative" with my knees in that I didn't run, etc... Probably did that from right after surgery until I was about 35. Then I started having issues again, and my doctor suggested building muscle around my legs. That's what got me started into weightlifting and bodybuilding. I'm not suggesting you need to go into all out bodybuilding, but I will say that strengthening my leg muscles has been the best thing I could have done. My knees still aren't perfect, but the past 10 years have been far better than the previous 15. Much less pain, I'm able to do so much more...I can run 5Ks, I even trained for a half marathon several years back. I can run, jump, etc... One of them is starting to become a problem again, but I'm no spring chicken, so it is what it is.

One cool thing I can do is "pop" my knees. Just like people crack their knuckles, I can do the same thing with my knees. It's LOUD, and makes for a great party trick. :scared: :D

Best of luck and don't let it get you down. My hips are also degenerating, I already had surgery on one of them 3 years ago. My attitude is that until they (hips, knees, whatever) completely give out, I'm going to use them and enjoy life to the fullest. I'd rather get 10 years of playing with my kids, exercising, and just being active before needing to replace them than 20 years of sitting on the couch.

Perhaps, but there are SO many steps before that, and so many things you can do.
Very true. I did them all and still ended up with a new knee. Depends on how painful it is now. Cortisone usually works and so do the shots that essentially lubricate the joint but eventually they stop working.

I am 3 months into a total hip replacement. For that, I put it off for so long...limped, in pain and limiting what I could do, but didn't want the replacement as it wasn't "that" bad. I didn't go to the orthopedic doctor as I knew what he would say and to get injections for a hip, it is more complicated than just going in and getting a shot.

However, my knees are a different story. A couple of years ago, my left knee wasn't really giving me pain but was "giving out". Went for an X-ray through an orthopedic doctor. I have DJD/arthritis in my knee and received a cortisone shot....haven't had a problem since. He said not nearly close to needing a replacement. My right knee was not really painful and had no reason to think there was a problem until I couldn't put weight on it. Went to the orthopedic doctor and was told I have bone on bone in one area and possible slight meniscus tear. He didn't feel it was worth an MRI at this point as I was starting to be able to put weight on my knee. I received a cortisone shot and it's fine now. He said I may never progress to the point of needing a replacement.

Don't discount a cortisone shot as they may work. My DH had a labrum tear in his shoulder, had 2 shots and not one problem since. This was 5 years ago. Also, most doctors won't do surgery unless it is truly warranted and all other measures have been taken. Unless, of course, your wait like I did for my hip...no choice but to have a replacement. I believe there is several types of injections, also NSAIDS, physical therapy and probably a few more things that can be done. Also, insurance many times will dictate what is done....some meds may not be covered unles youo have tried "X", for example.

Good. Luck

Op here. The thing is, I'm really not in any kind of pain when I'm sitting or walking around. BUT there are times where the outside of my right knee gets this UNBELIEVABLE pain in it and it locks up. To the point where I can't straighten it, I can't bend it, nothing. If I'm sitting down and my foot is flat on the floor, I can't even attempt to lift up my foot. When I explained that to the doctor, he said it sounds like the meniscus is folding in on itself and when I go to stand up the knee joint it basically squishing it, thus causing the pain. The pain goes way beyond a 10 and will last about an hour or so and then I can get up and resume the day. It's so weird. So I have no idea what's going on. I go to see him a week from tomorrow for my MRI follow up, so I guess we'll see more into what's happening. But getting back to the cortizone shots....if I'm not in pain unless the knee locks up, does it even make sense to get them?

If you were to get a cortisone shot, would it be when you see the doctor for your MRI results? If so, see what the doctor says. However, if it is a tear, the cortisone shot will help as it will help with the inflammation of the surrounding area as well. I would go for it. The other thing to keep in mind is that it may start to get worse, so by getting the injection, it may prevent that from happening.

Good luck.

I would get it for the inflammation. I know they kept me from getting my knees replaced for a couple of years before they stopped working. I think at one point I have had a shot in each of my joints. They do hurt, but the relief you get is worth the pain of the shots.

Op here. The thing is, I'm really not in any kind of pain when I'm sitting or walking around. BUT there are times where the outside of my right knee gets this UNBELIEVABLE pain in it and it locks up. To the point where I can't straighten it, I can't bend it, nothing. If I'm sitting down and my foot is flat on the floor, I can't even attempt to lift up my foot. When I explained that to the doctor, he said it sounds like the meniscus is folding in on itself and when I go to stand up the knee joint it basically squishing it, thus causing the pain. The pain goes way beyond a 10 and will last about an hour or so and then I can get up and resume the day. It's so weird. So I have no idea what's going on. I go to see him a week from tomorrow for my MRI follow up, so I guess we'll see more into what's happening. But getting back to the cortizone shots....if I'm not in pain unless the knee locks up, does it even make sense to get them?

Yes, it makes sense to get them. DJD pain and other similar issues aren't always a linear type of pain. Some movements may cause pain, while other things cause nothing. I can press 300lbs (DW can nearly double me...) on the leg sled and it causes me no pain. But then I'll do walking lunges carrying 20lb dumbells and I can't finish one set. I can run a 5k, easy. But then sometimes...not always...the elliptical machine causes very bad pain. What you describe in not uncommon at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter